PDA

View Full Version : The Observer (Finished for OC)

EdithsArt
07-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi,

Just finished my painting, any critique, opinions and comments highly appreciated! :clear:

2013, Oil on Linen, 50x70cm

digital alterations also appreciated

Thank you! Edith PS could not post in the OC forum, error uploading

http://edithsart.com/wetcanvas/ta-wetcanvas800.jpg

Dana Design
07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
VERY good! LOve the detail you've put in here. The color of the shirt really makes this painting pop and it's beautifully painted (as is his hair). All very well done.

eyecandy2
07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
The painting is beautifully done. that item that appears to look like a target is distracting and it wouldn't hurt to eliminate it. It adds nothing to this beautiful piece.

La_
07-30-2013, 01:56 PM
haha, wonderful story, well painted!
the 'target' is a map of the sky and adds a tremendous amount to the story.
love the spider addition

la

Sye
07-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Lovely. IEspeciallyLikeYourRenderingOfTheBark. Nice.

gebhm
07-30-2013, 03:15 PM
quality work. Nice job.

EdithsArt
07-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Thank you all for your feedback! It's really helpful.
I'm also glad to hear your comment, Phil, that you saw the piece of paper as a target. I never thought of it that way, but will keep your comment in mind and try to think of how something can be perceived.
Actually, it is close to what la said. Within yoga philosophy it is said that our energy, seen from above, looks like circles placed within one another. So actually this sleeping or meditating man looked through the telescope and saw not only the universe but at the same time his own energy reflected. Well, at least that was my interpretation when I made it:wink2:
I cannot leave out the piece of paper with the circles for that reason, but will take all comments with me:)

NRC
08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
This painting is fun to look at and makes one think about it; my initial thoughts were the fellow was simply too tired to stay up and see what he initially came after. Then I enjoyed moving around the piece to see all you had to offer. Very well painted. Re: the target / map. Wondered if the value/tone might be a little darker as if shadows are cast on it. It might change the shape from a lighter downward arrow and make the object more subdued. It's a beautifully painted piece of paper, however, and maybe shouldn't be messed with. It is interesting that the darkest/lightest values lie at his lap with the book and that this is almost centered in the painting. You've pulled it off though, I think.