PDA

View Full Version : UK Watercolor Supplies

paintdoodles2
07-28-2013, 07:57 AM
I haven't posted here in quite a while as my life is in a state of flux. :) I am moving back home to the UK in a few months. :clap: As such, can anyone tell me if watercolor paints and supplies are typically more expensive in the UK than in the USA. If so, I will stock up before I leave. :)

I hope the lack of sunshine over there doesn't prevent me from painting. :)

Yorky
07-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Not sure on prices but we are certainly not short of suppliers.

As far as the weather is concerned we have had a heat wave this past 3 weeks - wall to wall sunshine. Remember plein air is much more pleasurable due to the general absence of bugs.

Doug

CharlieF
07-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Prices for supplies seem to vary depending on the location of the manufacturer, especially for paints. You'll likely find paints made in Europe, such as Winsor Newton, are less expensive in the UK than in the USA. On the other hand, paints made in the USA, such as M Graham, DaVinci, and Daniel Smith, are likely to be less expensive in the USA. Paper and brushes may also vary in price due to location of manufacture, but paint certainly does.

btate
07-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Jerry's aratrama and Blick for us distributors. Ken Bromley and Jacksons for the UK... are some examples

All on line so should give you a good indication of relative pricing.

Irishman
07-28-2013, 09:23 AM
I do know that DS paints become in and around the same price in sterling as they are in dollars when they hit these shores.If you like DS paints then I would certainly stock up as for example, a tube of Azo yellow at $13.44 from DS will cost 12.53 from Bromleys and this ratio is more or less repeated with the range.However it all does depend on say the hourly wage rate because the dollar charge might take as much to earn in the U.S.as the sterling charge does in UK.Also the English suppliers do not carry the whole DS range.But as CharlieF says,W&N are cheaper here than in the U.S. plus W&N do 37ml tubes of the big sellers like Ultra and Cobalt.

teaberry222
07-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Last fall, I visited London, and while there, I bought a Raphael Kolinsky sable brush at Jackson's for 2/3 the price I would pay in the US. It was a huge saving, considering it was a size 16 brush. Definitely cheaper.

Neeman
07-29-2013, 12:39 AM
English made paper is much less
Fabriano also has been less
W/N paints is less

watercolourfanatic
07-29-2013, 11:57 AM
If you use Daniel Smith, Graham or DaVinci paints buy in the USA. Suggest you look up Jacksons and Great Art Prices and compare them with the likes of Blick.

Peter:)

Flattwo
07-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi

Ebay is your best bet!

Henry

sprintgt
07-29-2013, 02:11 PM
I bought some W&N artist watercolour off Ebay, it wasn't the real thing I'm afraid, so beware of Ebay dealers.

Flattwo
07-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Hi John

You were unlucky there, I hope you claimed your money back!

I have been using Ebay for years for supplies without any problems

Cheers

Henry

kchris
07-29-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm from the US, but the pan paints that I wanted were cheaper even with shipping from Ken Bromley's.

Superturtle
07-31-2013, 11:26 PM
When I've ordered stuff from the UK (Bromley's and Jackson's), the European brands were generally cheaper and the American brands were more expensive (part of the difference could also be that VAT was deducted since I'm in the US). Winsor & Newton's definitely cheaper, Daniel Smith was definitely more expensive. I think Escodas were cheaper as well.

Aderynglas
08-02-2013, 05:27 AM
Jackson's also have their own brand of watercolour paint - Artist Quality and the colours (and description, word for word ;) ) are the same as the 'old' Sennelier paints. I use both and can't see any difference between them - except the larger tubes (21ml) and full size pans and lower price of Jackson's Watercolours (http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Watercolour_Painting-Watercolour_Colour-Jackson%27s_Professional_Watercolour/c2129_2128_2364_6970_7016/index.html) - the pigments are the same as the Sennelier 'old' paints - I checked against the Sennelier Colour chart (http://www.e-artstore.net/paints_wcolour_sen.html) ;) Jackson's colour chart is in their catalogue.

They may not have every colour you might need or want, but they have all the ones you might run out of most often :)

{'old' meaning the paints you would have bought from Sennelier, before they introduced their 'new' range and some formulations last year}

MicahP
08-02-2013, 11:36 AM
The VAT is likely one of the larger factors in pricing art supplies. For example, I purchased a W&N Heavyweight Enamel pan set from Ken Bromley and had it shipped to the US: all at a lower cost than a resident of the UK could purchase the product alone for. However, paper is the exact opposite for me. I don't know about paper prices/availability in the UK, but I live in a University town w/ a lot of art majors, and paper is insanely expensive. I would imagine paper is cheaper in the UK since most of the major brands are produced in Europe.

Your best bet would be to obtain as many 40-50% off coupons to AC Moore or Michael's to buy tube paints or to order online here in the US w/out the VAT.