PDA

View Full Version : Wild Horses

oCDs01-711
07-28-2013, 12:40 AM
I moved from Louisiana to Nevada. Today driving to Virginia City I saw these "wild horses!" I had heard of them but never expected to really see them. It was awesome. Later I saw a larger group but couldn't stop for more pictures. There was a black stallion and 3 mares. They seemed to be accustomed to the noise of automobiles. Sorry for the size. I have not been able to figure out how to reduce the size of photos.

Shirley:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2013/1188868-Virginia_City,_NV_2013_006.JPG

Antiqueteacher
07-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Shirley, thanks for sharing this with us!! Love the size of the photo, too! Would love to see this myself!!

Katherine

Uschi
07-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Love wild horses - BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for the photo!

Uschi

Undergoose
07-28-2013, 04:40 PM
As I was driving through Wyoming a little after dawn, I was enjoying the big fields and taking pictures of cows, etc. All of a sudden, there was a small group of antelope on my camera screen so I snapped a picture.

The first thought that went through my mind was, "Wow, those are some scraggly lookin' cows..."

Then I went DUH! They're antelopes!

The next thought after that was "That's cool, I didn't know they even had antelope farms!"

I went DUH! again.

Oh yeah, I'm a world traveler for sure. Pfft.

It was neat seeing so many wild animals while I was driving across.

Interestingly enough, the only animals I saw consistently from one side to the other were raccoons, crows and skunks.

Awesome horse picture, reminds me of Hidalgo :)

oCDs01-711
07-28-2013, 11:17 PM
..."Awesome horse picture, reminds me of Hidalgo :) ".... That's the first thing I thought of when I saw them, Undergoose!

Thank you Antiqueteacher and Uschi.

Shirley:wave:

ErnstG
07-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Fantastische Tiere Shirley!
Aber für Wildpferde sehen sie sehr gut genährt und ruhig aus.
Vielleicht sind sie für Touristen "gezähmt" worden oder sie sind
ausgestopft und auf gute Distanz zu Kameras platziert.

Fantastic animals Shirley!
But for wild horses they look very good nourished and quiet.
Perhaps they have been "tamed" for tourists or they are
stuffed and placed on a good distance from cameras.

Ernst

CharM
07-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Beautiful! Take and post your photos! Painting opportunities!

olliewood0702
07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
BEAUTIFUL creatures are the wild horses. Thanks Shirley for sharing this gorgeous group of beauties with us.

Superturtle
07-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for sharing! Lovely creatures!

A bit of trivia: horse evolution started in the Americas, and they were abundant in North America during the last Ice Age. They went extinct at the end of the Ice Age, but when they were introduced to the Americas by the Spaniards they thrived. This makes why they went extinct in the first place a bit of a mystery.

robertsloan2
08-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Wonderful photo! I love this. Don't feel bad about the size. Bigger is better, would you please upload this to the Reference Image Library? If the uploader resized it to 800 pixels on the long side, the RIL will let you post the full scale version too so anyone looking for detail when painting for it can download the big one.