PDA

View Full Version : Florida Sunset

eyecandy2
07-27-2013, 03:27 PM
The sunset over the water was irresistible. Took photo with my iPhone and here is the painting that I made of it. It is oil on linen and 16 x 20 inches ins size. I would be pleased to hear all comments to improve the painting.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2013/114934-intercostal1Sm.jpg

silkreel
07-28-2013, 01:51 AM
The sky and reflection of the sky in the water is beautiful; I love the pastel pinks, purples and blues, it adds an almost dreamy quality to the piece.

Composition is solid, with the horizon about a third up from the bottom.

Watch out for the architectural details and maybe make use of a ruler or different brush to create those straight edges on the pier (especially the end of the smaller pier in the middle ground and the vertical poles in our foreground. When I paint or draw straight lines, I find it helps to reposition the piece so that I can pull my arm down and towards me. Perspective wise, the vertical poles should actually be perpendicular to the bottom edge of the painting; right now they are slanted to the left slightly.

eyecandy2
07-29-2013, 04:48 PM
You are correct about the poles. They aren't perpendicular to the bottom. I guess that they shifted from the tides after they were installed. I do thank you for your critique. I do use a straight edge to draw straight lines, however, I didn't want that crispness in this painting. Thanks again for looking.

D.W. Flint
07-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Beautiful painting. I really like the sky...If I had my druthers, I'd do away with the two large poles on the right. With them gone I think it would better invite the viewer into the painting. For what it's worth only...

~JMW~
07-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Those colors are so nice..

I agree that the largest posts might be better if they were gone, or at least the largest one. Too many hard lines in an otherwise dreamy setting.

Something on the right side shoreline /bank seems off to me.
Maybe the slight humped section of the peachy reflection on the water?:confused: maybe if that was a more level line ?

eyecandy2
07-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Interesting about the large poles in the foreground. I felt that they directed your eye up into that sunset. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I'll hear more comments on that issue before I paint it out. And,yes, I see what you mean about the shore line. I'll work on that.

WebCat
08-06-2013, 07:29 PM
I agree with the comment about the two large poles/pylons. They do stop my eye from going to the center. I think the angle of the rest of them works though. I feel a discord on that far island/peninsular as well. I think it is because, though the skyline follows the angles in the rest of your painting the waterline is different. It sort of stops my eye as it tries to get up to the clouds. I'd suggest that you consider bringing that down, angling down to match the pier.

I live in Florida and I am constantly awestruck by the sun sets/rises we have here. You captured it beautifully! And that water is fantastic! I feel that was just a moment before the light completely faded. I'd jump in the water but there's creatures in there that come out at night ;)

eyecandy2
08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks WebCat for your comments and, yes, the sunsets here can be magnificent. Not sure what you mean about the discord on the far island.

bocote
08-07-2013, 03:25 PM
The Scream like composition works okay, but its very heavy on the lower part while the sky doesn't have the detail or excitement to compete with the large black forms. Your water is a function of the sky which is well done, but the sky has some mudding paint and earthen hues. Details on land forms in background aren't needed unless you want us to know about a particular plant that is 2 feet higher than his buddy.

have fun,

eyecandy2
08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Happy to say that I didn't use any earth tones in the sky. Blues, reds, oranges and yellows are the colors in the sky. Although I color correct my photos, I can never seem to get the true colors of the painting. I use an xrite color system to calibrate both my monitor and printer for color. It isn't
bad but not perfect. As for the details on the trees on the land, they were there so I painted them in. I guess the I could do without them.

WebCat
08-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Getting true colors of a painting with a photograph is tough and then, when it's posted, you hit everyones monitor screens showing different colors.

by 'discord' I mean.... your lines go on an angle from low on the right to higher on the left. The pier, poles, even the roof a bit and the clouds drift just a wee bit to the left but the island doesn't. The top of the island very nicely points to the center where the water meets the sky and brings one's eye in but the bottom edge just goes straight. See what I mean by taking a piece of paper and cut a triangle it as long as the island but wider; like a wedge < . Put it on top of your island and see if you see what I'm seeing or even if you like it. I know the real world probably had the island/water edge straight like you painted it but you can change what you want so say what you want to say.

I still love this painting though. It's so relaxing!

Rocky Barnett
08-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Beautiful work eyecandy 2 (as always), and if my vote counts; I would keep the poles!! they give the painting it's sense of place! Plus I think the loss of those darks would change the feel too much.
Do have one small thing tho'(sorry,...but it should be an easy fix!)
In the left hand side of that vertical cloud at the top I see the profile of a Frankenstein face and he looks unhappy. just break up that cloud's edge just a bit. (don't like seeing a face in a cloud :D )
P.S. Great colors,nice transitions,....I love it.

Humbly
Rocky

eyecandy2
09-18-2013, 11:33 PM
I have made some important changes in this painting and will post as soon as can get to photograph it.

Rocky Barnett
09-19-2013, 01:48 AM
I can hardly wait....and I'm so glad that this thread is finally 'back together' !!!
Rocky :)

eyecandy2
10-02-2013, 08:37 PM
This is my latest work on this painting. Please comment.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2013/114934-SunsetOverIntercoastalSm.jpg

Rocky Barnett
10-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Better feeling of depth in this one , the added detail to the boards helped very much. The water is a lot better to me too. One gripe tho' : To me the shadow of the middle pole just doesn't read right. (a bit horizontal)
(and I still see a face in that cloud :wink2: ) . It's O.K. though; I liked it first time and it looks better to me now.

Humbly
Rocky

eyecandy2
11-01-2013, 06:31 PM
You are right. the shadow is wrong. Don't why I didn't see that myself. Thanks for the help.

xislandman
11-15-2013, 06:41 PM
I would have eliminated some of the pilings on the long pier so it was not so busy. I would have painted the water first then superimposed the pilings and docks so the painted water was a more smooth flowing appearance...

escorial
12-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Apart fro the landmass that sits awkward on the right hand side...it still draws my eye upward from the bottom..then a second look gives me a more intimate view of the wooden structure which leads me into this picture..very nice.

tstellma
12-03-2013, 12:45 PM
For me there is too much going on in the foreground in comparison to the sky. What´s at your feet is not so interesting. I would also reduce the number of piles. The sky should be dramatic.