View Full Version : "The Bell Ringers" Work in Progress (WIP)
07-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm posting this here and also in the Watermedia Forum, I started to post it in the Watermedia Forum because I thought at first that I would be using a technique of ink stippling over the whole piece (therefore eliminating it from the Watercolor Forum) but as it has progressed I noticed that I was adding texture by using a masking technique that allows me to add small little watercolor dots instead of having to use ink & stippling, now I did use a small amount of ink here or there but it does not consitute more then 1% of the whole image.If you look at the ears of the first image you can see some of the stippling that I started to add but then stopped.
So the first part of the process is to place down masking fluid and tape around the surrounding area of the painting and place in the first wash of yellow all paints are artist grade Holbein & Maimeri watercolors. The final image size will be 20 by 30 inches.
The start of the process looks like this.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2013/179873-Step_1.jpg
After placing in that wash of yellow I let completely dry with the aid of a hair dryer and once that is dry I then place a toothbrush dipped into the jar of Winsor & Newton regular masking fluid draining off excess fluid by pressing the brush against the inside of the bottle I want some masking fluid but not a soaked tooth brush this will control the spatter and will keep the drops to a more uniform size and have them fall onto the paper much smaller in size.
Once the fluid is dry I place in some Rose Madder paint over the yellow wash and the dried masking. The painting at this time looks more like this.
07-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Next Step do the same process to the hippo on the right side. The first thing I do for him is I place in a light aqua wash first and let dry then use the same spattering technique on him of masking fluid and creating some squiggly patterns on him and let dry then place a cobalt blue wash with a wet into wet application with some teal mixed in and then let dry completely, then I snapped this photo and the next photo after this photo shows what it starts to look like with the masking/tape and paper removed.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2013/179873-Step_3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2013/179873-Step_4.jpg
07-27-2013, 08:51 PM
:clap: :clap: Paul, so far it's looking fantastic. What a great job of masking and taping; that is a lot of work. I like your palette. I'll be waiting for an update.:thumbsup:
07-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Darla, thanks :)
The next step is to drop in some billowy clouds let dry and take this next photo.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2013/179873-179873-Step_51_2.jpg
07-28-2013, 05:08 AM
An excellent WIP, Paul. I hope you're going to change the cloud color on the left. Really like the blue and orange together. Nice style of painting.
07-28-2013, 09:27 AM
pjartwc, Thanks, :), as to the cloud color on the left I'm going to leave it alone, but I will be punching up the color on the cat like creature on the left to a more vibrant orange so that there will be more of a distinction between him and the sky. The next step is to mask around the bell and around the clock tower and use a wash of yellow watercolor wash let dry then apply a spatter of masking fluid and let dry and then apply a wash of wet into wet mixture of cobalt blue and some teal paint and allow to mix on the page creating that green algae like color, I want the bell to appear weathered so at this stage this is what it appears to look like.
07-28-2013, 09:40 AM
The next step is to remove the tape and masking and punch up the color on the cat like creature and add a grey wash to the bell tower and at this stage it looks like this.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2013/179873-Step_7.jpg
07-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Do the same process of a light wash of grey again on the bell tower and spatter on some more masking fluid and using some of the masking fluid I put some shapes on the face of the clock then start dropping in different colors of grey, green, teal and some blue on the tower and on the clock face let dry and remove the masking fluid and drop in some shadows around the clock and the hands on the clock and try to tie it all together.
Then I get the heck out of Dodge.While getting out of Dodge I snap one last photo and call it completehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2013/179873-Last_Step_2.jpg
07-29-2013, 06:40 AM
This is terrific. I'm really enjoying reading about your process and watching the delightful bell ringers emerge.
BTW, using ink with watercolor is a long established tradition, so no problem posting this here.
Your initial posts show the amount of time and work you put into masking out areas you want to keep clean for further development later. Thanks for showing that.
07-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks Sylvia, as to masking stuff out I'm a messy painter so I've learned that if I don't cover up areas, I always find paint spatter or masking fluid at spots in the painting I do not want it and also I find that it makes me real work at that one section because it gives me a tunnel vision approach and makes me concentrate on that one element of the painting.
07-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Back at it again. Fun stuff. I haven't seen you around too much lately. Of course, the same could be said of me. Good to see you are still alive.
07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Tom, Good to see your still out here, as to not being around much I gave myself a break I've spent a lot of time reading G.K. Chesterton, Tolstoy, Hemingway etc..I'm slowly starting to paint again it's been about 18 months since I last really painted a picture, I dabbled a liile but this is my first real try at painting again.
Nice to hear from you again.
vBulletin® v3.5.8, Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.