Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Another street scene......

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I think that I am ok with the composition, and my palette is what it is. But what I am wondering about is the "narrative" to finish this off. People, animals, bicycles, etc, etc. Something to fill up the space in the empty street. Personally, I do not mind the empty street....kind of relaxing and mysterious....but thought I would ask for input. Also, even though I said I was happy with all of the other stuff....well. I could be wrong...so let me know! Jim

markr
09-15-2003, 03:59 AM
I'm thinking "keep the street empty" as well. I'm also thinking palette is going real good so far. That "so far" is telling though. I think this could go a long, long way ... it's such a solid beginning. Are you adverse to setting it aside till the next rainy day comes along, and even the next ... pushing it and yourself a bit further? If not it's fine, I just think it could be so much more ... would love to see it.
Thanks,
Mark

mattlart
09-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Jim,..I can certainly see your dilemma here!

The palette you've chosen is.......incredible.
The mood and suggestion of of a rainslick,...European misty day is palpable to me.

The strong temptation is to let it be.

IF you were to add to it;...heres a suggestion:

Two women with their backs facing us;..placed to the left here.
Their reason for being there;..perhaps heading to market.
They would be painted in dark tones,...obviously.

However,..when addinf figures;..it IS likely that they will become the focal point.
Does this painting need anything more? I'm......thinking not.

Congratulations,..my friend. Beautiful and powerful.

giniaad
09-15-2003, 11:09 AM
please no people or things...
a lonely street
is something
somehow
sweet
(no need for clutter)

yes, you could keep gong with this
and that could be nice
but, you can leave it as is too
all the subtleties of where you could take it
are firmly there
all at the same level of consistency

it is a perfectly acceptable
and wonderful visual treat

the only area that could be questioned is the straight line of light down that street
there might be more reflected light in and around that area...
I could be wrong, though, I am not sure of the structure of that area

this palette is working extremely well in this piece

Helen Zapata
09-15-2003, 11:53 AM
I like it as is, Jim. Glowing and mysterious.

The only nit I have towards it is feeling that the left side sidewalk is too narrow. Just something to toss your way. It's not much, and the painting is beautiful as is.

I love your colors and your light. :)

Helen

coulter
09-15-2003, 12:02 PM
A fresh rain-washed morning, just beautiful Jim! It does read as morning to me. I think leave it :D

Mark

artbabe21
09-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Great going Jim...this sings! :) As is it, it does give off a sense of mystery... stands on it's own....it's working. The light is superb...

HRobinson
09-15-2003, 12:12 PM
It looks like you're at the point (in this work) where your strokes as subject becomes the narrative. I did have some trouble with that area in the brighter portion of the building on the left, in that I didn't know what you were trying to convey there.

I had a personal thought about how far you've come from that redhead in the garden and thought I might suggest revisiting that type of thing now.

-Harry

YLCIA
09-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Just beautiful as it is . Very atmospheric.:)

Julia

jerryW
09-15-2003, 12:45 PM
not a problem
just an opportunity

christinabella
09-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Hello Jim

I love the mysteriousness of your painting. I also like that there are no figures.

I would be tempted to put in more color, and I admire your restraint. :)

pero lane
09-15-2003, 01:35 PM
It's great as is Jim...somber yet intriguing. If you decide to add figures for some reason , I can see nuns (not the flying ones!)!:D Just a thought...as my train does derail occassionally!:p

woodguy
09-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Markr...Thanks for looking and your comments. I wish you would expand on "where this could go" I would be interested in hearing the possibilities that you see.

Thanks, Scott! I had originally thought about three figures. One in the mid foreground and two in the distance. I think for now I will just let it sit around for awhile....it will let me know what to do!

Giniaad...Thanks again, as always great comments. I agree about the harsh white line....Jerry broke it up a bit and I think that may help. This is definately an area that will get more attention.

Thanks, Helen! Especially for the "glowing", that is what I was after.

Thanks, Mark! Early morning it is!

Cathleen....Thank you! I am glad you can hear the song and see the light!

Thanks, Harry! Don't know if I am ready for redheads in the garden quite yet. I have a couple of more small street scenes to do then it is back to interiors. My Gallery has requested that I do some large ones....36 x 48 and 24 x 36. Oh, and I will look a little closer at the light on the left building. Was mostly trying to get a nice warm glow.

Thanks alot, Julia!

Thanks, Jerry...Good idea!

Christinabella....Thak you for looking and your kind comments!

Thank you, Pat!

Thanks again to all for your comments and suggestions! Jim

giniaad
09-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Jerry:
"not a problem
just an opportunity"

and with the correct attitude as well...
Jerry, you can never have too many stars...

Jim...I have confidence you will do this well

woodguy
09-15-2003, 07:49 PM
I appreciate your confidance, Giniaad! I also believe Jerry's "correct attitude" deserves many stars! Jim

Paintonbrush
09-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Leave this, please....good solid work
start another around peeps.

woodguy
09-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Diane! OK...no peeps in this one....and the one I am working on right now won't have any either....so perhaps peeps are way off. Jim

dornberg
09-16-2003, 01:39 PM
not only are the shapes uniquely placed
but the light and coordinated color handling
is appealing