PDA

View Full Version : Dani's 365 Challenge: Jumping in the deep end!

Dani Melissa
07-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Dani :) So I'm a 24 year old whose recently finished my sixth and final year at uni. Now out working full time and finally have some space in my life for something other than study. I've always wanted to develop my drawing skills and it seems like it's now or never! I've spent a good few years fiddling around with digital photo manipulation, but actually sketching from scratch is a new skill. Always one to throw myself in the deep end, I've set myself a personal challenge- to draw something, anything, every day for a year. Hoping this will get me into the swing of things and help me to develop my skills - fingers crossed!

So here we go! Below I'll attach my first 5 days worth - yesterday's is a WIP I'm hoping to finish today. I'm not too vain, so hit me with constructive criticism! Thanks guys!

:clap:

Dani Melissa
07-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Day #1: My hand and a photo of myself and my partner :)

Day #2: My rings. Some improvements I'd like to make to this one - potentially a task for another day later down the track

Day #3: Equine eye.

Day #4: Painted chair. An explicit challenge to force myself to draw what I actually see rather than what I think I see. Hard for such a left-brained person like myself! Pretty happy with how it came out in the end.

Dani Melissa
07-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Day #5: Horse head. A good exercise for my patience. Halfway through, was convinced it was going to look horrible and nearly erased the lot, but actually ended up fairly happy once I was done.

Dani Melissa
07-27-2013, 02:08 AM
Day # 6 & #7: My brother, with a bird. Not perfect, but it's certainly the best sketch of a person I've done to date, and there is some likeness there I think. I included the reference photo for a comparison.

wabbitt
07-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Wow, great start! Keep up the good work.

DrDebby
07-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Fantastic group of sketches. Great start to your challenge.

Joan T
07-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Dani - Great sketches!!! You are really doing intensive sketches. I had expected something quickly done, but you are really working on these. Nice shading!!!

Dani Melissa
07-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks so much for all your lovely comments guys! It definitely gives me more encouragement to keep going. Joan, it's interesting what you said about how detailed they are - I just don't seem to be able to do them roughly! Maybe a challenge for an upcoming day might be to do some quicker ones, to get used to getting the key points quickly? We will see... Anywho, on to todays.

Day #8: The Snail of death. It seemed like such a cute idea - our garden is full of snails at the moment, so it seemed like something fun to sketch - right? Wrong. I'm ashamed to admit that I was very nearly beaten by a mollusc and his scales - redid them about 3 times, then changed my mind and decided they didn't need to be that detailed anyway. Fun times!

DrDebby
07-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Fantastic snail drawing.

Dani Melissa
07-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks Debby! It was a challenge, for sure.

Day #9: Horse full body. Limited myself to 30 minutes, so much less detail than I'd normally do, hence I'm not quite as happy. Hate the eye but not a whole lot I can do about it given how small it is. But was satisfying to get the key points down in 30 minutes. Practice makes perfect I suppose!

DrDebby
07-29-2013, 04:44 PM
The horse is great. That's what the challenge is about, practice. Now, the next time you tackle a full horse drawing, you'll be more confident and better able to capture more details. Go you!

Dani Melissa
07-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks Debby! I'm certainly having to fight with my perfectionist tendencies and remind myself it is all about learning and practice!

Day #10: Head shot of my fiancée. Again, not a perfect rendition - there's something a bit 'off' with his eyes! Maybe too big? - but the best I've done of him, and took me just over an hour. Fun times!

DrDebby
07-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Nice looking fellow.

Dani Melissa
07-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks Debby! Her certainly is - I'm still not sure that one does him justice!

Day #11: Equine ears and eyes. If you can't tell, horses are a bit part of my passion for art, so I suspect a lot of my images will end up being of them! A quick sketch before bed - pretty happy.

Joan T
08-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Great sketches!!! I especially like the one of the snail. Your horses are great, and your fiancée is cute!

DrDebby
08-01-2013, 05:25 PM
If you draw because of horses, keep drawing horses. Lovely sketch.

Dani Melissa
08-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys! Really liking the support you are giving - thanks so much! ^_^

Day #12 & #13: My partner and I again. Really not happy with this one - again, it will probably be one to come back to on a day/s when I'm not so tired! But an OK start I suppose :)

DrDebby
08-02-2013, 07:55 PM
You make a cute couple. Great sketch.

Joan T
08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
I think this one is good! It is hard to sketch yourself. I never think mine look like me.