PDA

View Full Version : Help Painting a Paisley Shirt?

reikiart
07-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Need some help guys! :crossfingers: I am working on a portrait of my husband's mom and dad and his mom is wearing a blouse with a paisley, swirly type of pattern. Anybody have any creative ideals for how to paint a blouse and make it look that way? I thought I had it figured out - I tried using salt but it didn't quite give me what I was looking for. Any ideals? Or should I just use my artistic license and give her a new shirt? Thanks for any suggestions! :wave:

painterbear
07-27-2013, 05:39 AM
Reikiart,
I think you might need to show us a photo of the blouse with the pattern. It's almost impossible to come up with an idea of how to help out without seeing what we are talking about. ;)

Sylvia

reikiart
07-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Sylvia. Here is a pic. As you can see, the photo is not that clear, which makes it even harder to come up with an idea how to paint it. Thanks again!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2013/229855-shirt.jpg

Yorky
07-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Looking at that photograph, it appears to be an overall floral pattern. Maybe a full pale wash, dry and then use a stamp with masking fluid to apply the florets before glazing again with a darker tone?

Doug

reikiart
07-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks, Doug - that's a really good ideal! :wave:

painterbear
07-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Good idea from Doug!

However, is it really important to make the blouse match the photo? Maybe just a nice, general pattern or color would work?

Sylvia

DebraB
07-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Maybe use a salt treatment to make "blooms" that was what it looks like when I first saw the photo.

reikiart
07-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Sylvia - I am thinking of doing that, just pick a color that's close to it and not try to match the patterns. The shirt is not the important thing in the portrait anyway. I may practice Doug's ideal on some scrap paper and see what it looks like and then make my decision.
Debra - I did try salt and it just didn't look right. Thanks, though!

noge
07-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi :wave:
IMHO - whats your problem your POI ? -
the face or the shirt ;)
Squeze you eyes - and you can hardly see the patterns :D

Your task is the portait - isnt it - and this is difficult :angel: you dont need extrawork do you :thumbsup: :heart: :wave:

reikiart
07-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Egon, you are exactly right! Thanks so much for reminding me of what's most important! :wave:

janinco
07-27-2013, 04:29 PM
You can twist a Kleenex and dab it around on the wet wash to lift out shapes to give the impression of the paisley pattern.

Jan

olliewood0702
07-27-2013, 08:54 PM
You've been given great advice; no matter what you chose just remember what your POI is and concentrate mostly on that.

reikiart
07-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Jan - may give that a try!
Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll let you all know when I've finished it and put it in the Gallery. Thanks again!

reikiart
08-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions - in the end, I simplified and just went with one basic color and didn't try for getting a pattern. The finished portrait is over in the Gallery (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325432) if anyone would like to see it. Thanks so much! :wave: