PDA

View Full Version : Buckets of Rain... Bobby D

alangraham
07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Started on this today... It's 8in x 10in on illustration paper (150lb) with india inks.

I'm walking away right now to think on it as I feel it needs something more...

Ideas?? I also feel the top right is to open. Maybe a sun?

alangraham
07-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Yes, the bench is off in proportion... I need to work on my perspective, haha. It's been a while.

HenrietteW
07-25-2013, 11:08 AM
I like the simplicity in this one (in all your work) :) However, you could try applying perhaps a horizontal, yellow pavement in the background. :thumbsup:

birdhs
07-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Love the bones of this so far..

needs color in either the bench or the clothing>>you choose.

Then balance the empty space with something that makes a statement (stop sign, yield, store window, graffiti, a cow:lol: , a clown, Mt Hood, etc.)

or leave it empty ( signifying the emptiness of her life)

or print a dozen copies of on the computer and play with it until it seems right, then make marks on the original

so far, so good,

looking forward to the next movement or decision

greggo

Jon
07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Lots of first and second thoughts for me on this one. My mind wanted to see a vivid color on her neck scarf for balance and then I thought perhaps Cory does not want color balance. Next, I found myself wondering what the pail was for in the wagon. Perhaps the pail is placed to catch something from above as yet unseen? I also thought how fun it would be if something was coming out of the pail- like a giant beanstalk or something completely unexpected! I wondered why the bench and the person were slightly off kilter, was that deliberate or not? With all those thoughts from what you have already in place maybe you are already 99% finished with it? Thanks for all the fun in viewing how ever you go about completing it. :)

alangraham
07-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Haha, it's a young Bob Dylan smoking! Not a woman :). I can see this as he did have a pretty androgynous appearance back than. Here is the photo I used as reference...

The wagon and bucket refers to the song, Buckets of Rain...

truarts
07-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Do not change a thing. The islolation that you have created with the red wagon and grey pail is what makes the piece. Adding color else will to me destroy what you have achieved with this illustration.

jimwhalen
07-26-2013, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't add anything to this if it were mine. I like the composition and the emptiness/isolation it conveys.

alangraham
07-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks to everyone for commenting! Greggo, Henriette, Jon, Truarts, and Jim.

As of now I am leaving this piece be. That said, I AM doing another piece with a different image/position of Dylan and the wagon. We shall see how it comes out :).

alangraham
07-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Just did another...

I can see that both could use some tweaking but I am done. Also, I'm not sure which one I enjoy more? The pail/bucked is bugging me as it seems to be kissing the horizon line...

birdhs
07-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Perspective jes fine now.

I like this one too.
My eyes are drawn to the wagon on the first painting, wagon is the COI.

on this one, my eyes bounce back and forth, confused COI
toning the bench to a brownish (with a wash over) might bring the COI back to the wagon
(and Hey, it's only Dylan, he ain't that important...)

I am awed by your creativity,

thanx4sharing

greggo

davefriend
07-26-2013, 01:20 PM
I lIke thie latest. Seems like more connection between the subjects.

Jon
07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Both are interesting, but I prefer the second.
I confess I have never heard of Dylan referred to as Bobby D and I plead ignorance on the song. I did a search for the lyrics to better understand your painting in context of the song:

Buckets of rain, buckets of tears
Got all them buckets comin' out of my ears
Buckets of moonbeams in my hand
You got all the love, honey baby, I can stand

<snip>

Little red wagon, little red bike
I ain't no monkey but I know what I like
I like the way you love me strong and slow
I'm takin' you with me, honey baby, when I go

alangraham
07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Greggo, Dave, and Jon.

Greggo-- yeah, Bob is a bit more focal but oh well. Have a feeling I'll be doing another Dylan themed piece so watch out :)

Dave-- Agreed. For sure more connection

Jon-- I heard in a pop song once someone refer to him as Bobby so I just started calling him that, haha. Great song, and a more lighthearted one by him. As I mentioned above, I have a feeling I'll be doing more Dylan stuff. So much fun!