PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Pastel Stilllife

butterfly
09-14-2003, 11:09 PM
Thought I would show you how my first oil pastel came out from the pastel class I attended during July ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2003/19725-OPstilllife.jpg

18"x24" on Canson Paper ...

Really got into working with the Oil Pastels and the colors are just so vibrant .... and they stay on the paper during transportation ....
:D

Thanks for looking
roni/Butterfly

Artaholic
09-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Lovely , sounds like you enjoyed working in the oils. If I ever have all the soft pastels I want I may someday try them.

Gerry

Dyin
09-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Artaholic
If I ever have all the soft pastels I want I may someday try them.

Gerry [/B]

:p

Roni....your first?? Awesome!!! Love the blue and orange going on there...quite ambitious for a first, especially size wise ...and love the fabric...so...I'm crazy for details...what brand, how did you apply them?

butterfly
09-15-2003, 12:11 AM
Artaholic ... thank you for your comment ... and I don't think I will ever have all the soft pastels I want

Dyin ... the details of this ... used Sennelier Oil Pastels and worked with paint thinner ... actually spilled the thinner on the sticks I was working with by accident ... actually made is easier to work with ... had to work rather fast since it was a summer class and the teacher wasn't sure how long the veggies and fruit were going to last and because it was a class hence the size of the paper ... blended with brushes and my fingers and with the sticks themselves ... worked two sessions (under three hours each) and did some finishing work at home ... i.e., bringing down some of the values they were just too high and bright ...

That's about it ... really like the medium, but I still love the soft and hard also .

roni/butterfly

blissfullyunaware
09-15-2003, 05:08 AM
Roni, Great first attempt! The oranges just pop with that blue background. The variety of objects to have to think about in so little time is daunting, but you did an excellent job overall! :D.
Thanks for sharing! Sharon

rwhale
09-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Roni,

The colors on this are gorgeous! I really like the blue fabric and that small silver/pewter pitcher. Glad you enjoyed your experience with the oil pastels!

-Roger

E-J
09-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Roni, what a mouth-watering collection of colours and textures ... and the little pewter jug is really cute :) I like the setup. Is that broccoli in the middle? This is very ambitious for a first oil pastel and it looks to have been a great success.

Craig Houghton
09-15-2003, 10:54 AM
I love the clarity of this -- not just with the rendering and the tight edges, but with the bright colors against the blue. I love it.

-Craig

bnoonan
09-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Roni this is superb- you must be thrilled:clap: :clap: :clap:

I love that broccoli - never attempted one of those in a still life before and yet it works beautifully. You really did a nice job on that basket - getting all the details and working the proper colors in to create the shading inside and receeding the back - perfect!!!

It's a stunner!!! Nicely done!

Barb