PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash Wednesday July 24 2013****

Lulu
07-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone:wave:
Have to say that opening the Wash is not much fun when there isn't the urgency to beat Geoff and give him blue ears.......:D

Second eldest sister called in today for lunch, pumpkin/potato and kumara soup and home-made bread, was quite yum.
Had intended to paint but it was good chatting.
It's two years now since her husband died, and she's really looking good again.

Listening to all the suggestions on the radio today of what the new prince's name should be - someone phoned in and said 'Kevin'. :D :D
I reckon there should be a John somewhere in his name, even an Edward....

Read the report in yesterday's Wash of the trip to Annie's mountain......:eek:
So a deaf man with a GPS isn't so bad Kev....:D

Lulu
07-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Too late to edit my post above....

John wanted me to show you his gigantic swede:D We expected wood and hollowness in the middle but no, it's good.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2013/1118-IMG_4545aa.jpg

shipbroker
07-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Morning Lulu, and all following.

Nope Blue Ears a thing of the past!

Heavy rain and light thunder during night and more for this dull day today.

Back later

geoff

Yorky
07-24-2013, 02:29 AM
Good morning all. A bright start to the day, alto cumulus clouds with some patches of blue. Seems to have been dry overnight.

That's a monster swede Lulu.

Had another good night, woke at 5.30am.

Doug

Roun2it
07-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Morn in' each .... :wave:

Well just over 24hrs to go of our one months holiday and it still feels like only two weeks. We have had great time and really enjoyed being with the Oz family.

Our flight tomorrow is late night so we get a full day here. So watch out UK we are coming home so the rain will return .....:lol:

Yorky
07-24-2013, 03:30 AM
Hi Kev, have a good flight. Well, it has been blistering hot here the past two weeks, but the weather is breaking just in time for your return to "Deepest wettest Lancashire" :lol:

Doug

Lulu
07-24-2013, 03:36 AM
So you'll get two Thursdays Kev?:D
Gosh it doesn't seem you've been away that long. Was sooo good sharing part of it :heart: Safe travels.

Hi Doug, glad the meds are helping settle your stomach.

cloudchaser
07-24-2013, 03:52 AM
Good day to all washers,

It is a bit more pleasant weather wise. Just off to work on bike.

Have a great Wednesday all

Regards
Tony.

doppler
07-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Good evening all.

Kev, am hoping you have recovered from the whirlpool of the visit and get home to find summer weather.

Lulu .... that is a Sven. :lol: Sorry, went to too many body building competitions with my brother and SIL.

Doug and Geoff :wave:

Am thinking that with correct sedation, for me, for the flight, Roger and I may visit the green and pleasant isle with stinging nettles again. Probably have to anyway to visit his rellies.

He has done mine repeatedly, so I guess I'll have to take a chance.

Sylvia, it is a Great Wall indeed. Everything is being done to precision. this is a once only exercise. We are not rich enough to do it on the cheap. Tom, the landscaper was checking the BS factor with Roger today and left him to do the optical levelling with some sort of surveying thingy. Roger remembered his early surveying training, got it rightish and then turned it 180 degrees and adjusted it. Got it perfect. :thumbsup: All good.

I've had the same thing when I served cheese on toast with sliced capsicum on top. Are those yours? Asks Tom. No sez I. Wrong season.

Bill, the heartbreak of what you have to do with those trees, dead or not, is truly awful.

Cannot remember much more except Uschii and Ethan. If the great they are offering scholarships, aren't they supposed to pay the way? That's what a scholarship is about isn't it?

Henry and Lesley, am hoping something is moving for you by now. And I like the idea of Prince Hamish.

BBL, Roger is cooking sausages and mashed tatties.

Lulu
07-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Lulu .... that is a Sven. :lol:

I just knew someone would do something with it........and I somehow just knew it would be you, Annie:thumbsup: :lol:

Speaking of stinging nettles, I spoke to someone yesterday who was making nettle tea. Have never had it but I read that it has all sorts of health benefits. I just make sure I'm wearing gloves when I pull it out of the garden!
Which reminds me...put on some gloves yesterday from the garden shed, never looked inside but a wasp had wintered over in one..:eek: Yes, ouch, and now itch!!

Window cleaner coming tomorrow, better be off to bed early so I can be up early to beat his early arrival.......then mind my p's and q's so he doesn't garner any information for his next book......
He always leaves a card with a poem on the back of it when he's finished, love them.

Nite everyone:wave:

NancyR
07-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Good morning, it is hot here in Plano--even at 5 am. Went to back doctor, and they took an X-ray of my lower spine. The curve is natural, the discs have pancaked in ten years which is a normal occurrence for someone of my age. He could not understand why my back does not hurt. In other words, I have degenerative disc disorder.

Our healthcare system is horrible. They want me to have an MRI at their center, however, it is to in network, so I will have to pay the thousand dollars. Now I have to fight to get it at an in network provider. No wonder I am up at five a.m.

I am now getting a longer period of oral steroids to see if the numbness and remaining pain goes away. Getting old is it not for sissies.

Youngest daughter and kiddos have delayed trip until November. She has to schedule a trip to Buenos Aires to find an apartment and school. That will give her more time to get organized.

Lulu, I am not into veges, so what is that huge one that John dug up? I hope the quakes have stopped by now.

Geoff, have a great time on your trip.

Doug, I hope that the doctor hones in on your problem and is able to give you relief soon.

Kevin, have a safe and relaxing trip home.

Annie, your project looks like something I would dream up, but we only have about a two foot slope from the sw corner of our yard to the ne corner of our yard. Nothing is level, but we have good drainage.

Henry, love the name you picked out for the future king. Everyone in our building tuned in on their computers to watch it. I could not use the Internet for business. Hope Lesley's infections have cleared up. :grouphug:

Guess I will not be able to go back to sleep, so I will crash early tonight. Hugs to all in need.

Flattwo
07-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi to All

Nancy, thanks. Lesley has been in hospital since Saturday, she had a bad reaction to a new drug, Effentora. She has now contracted an MRSA infection on her foot and is in a isolated room. Looks like she left the hospice with a foot and chest infection, plus the above, it's a disgrace! I have been trying to contact the doctors at the hospice, none have returned my calls!

Annie, if they named the future King Hamish, maybe the Scots would then not vote for independence next year :lol:

Henry

Ellen in Ont
07-24-2013, 07:09 AM
:wave: everyone,
It's a sunny morning but only 7 outside. I have one wash load on the line and two more to follow. Today I will clean the last two rooms on the main floor. I had planned to do a little painting this morning first but woke up with an irritation in one eye. I've had it before but no idea what causes it. It feels like an eyelash under the lid but nothing in sight. :rolleyes: It is starting to feel a little better now but painting will have to wait.

My son just called to see if I had plans for the day. He made arrangements to take Max out of daycare today to have a father son day with him on one of his days off and woke up with a cold. I'll be having supper with them (read making supper) and they will probably come over here for awhile.

The washing just finished so I should get the next load in. Have a great day everyone.

NancyR
07-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Henry, I love the name Hamish for the new king. I secretly hope Charles is passed over for William. Charles needs to concentrate on his art and causes.

I would be contacting the Hospice's lead agency they are under. Surely, there is a TV News station that you can have them investigate the hospice. I am sure that Lesley is not the only one to come out worse than when she went in. That is horrible putting Lesley through more problems.

I went through a same situation with my mother when she was in a rehab nursing home. It took me over a year to get her healthy again, until her old age caught up with her. She has gained 20 pounds in the last three years and does not look her age.

Thinking of you and Lesley. I am now getting a headache from the steroids I took at 8:00 p.m. last night, and I cannot go back to sleep.

ReggieS
07-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Good morning all! I have been so busy with work, my brother in law was here for 8 days, just very busy and so tired at night to even read the wash. I miss all of you!!
Work is going real well!! Made friends with our administrator and the director of Nursing and tonight we are going out for a girls night out Should be lots of fun!! We have a lot in common. Tomorrow I will be 63!!!! Can't believe it 63!! Sat night we will go to eat at Simon PIerce my favorite restuarant!! Can't wait!

Congrats to the Royal Family on the new prince!! It is so cute the way he put his hands up in his mom's arms almost like a wave when they came out of the hospital!

Hope all are well! Will try to read the last couple of week's washes this weekend and see what's been going on!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Reggie

olliewood0702
07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Happy Hump Day all!

It's quite cool here, was 57F and is only getting up to 75 today; which is perfect. Larry had to go in at 3am and said it felt "Blessedly cool...like Fall ahhh".:thumbsup: A warm up is expected though by Friday.

The new prince is adorable and I'm anxiously awaiting his name. I bet Kate and William are flying high with pride.

Doug, I'm glad you had some good sleep finally.

Aww Henry that is TERRIBLE news of (((Lesley))) What is wrong with that place?:eek: :confused: I'm praying for her still.

Kev, safe travels back to England. I'm so glad you had such a great time.

LuLu, isn't a swede what we call a rutabaga? That one is HUGE! I love them.

((ELLEN)) I hope your eye starts feeling better, it's probably a sty. Have a fun day with little Max!

Nancy, it's always something with health care right? GRR

Hi there Reggie! HAPPY 63rd BIRTHDAY tomorrow! YOu sound excited for the celebration.

Tony, good for you biking to work!

Annie, I too thought I'd need sedation for our flight but nope....nothing. I did just fine.:smug:

Geoff, it sounds like you are getting our weather from yesterday over there today.

I posted some pics of our trip on Facebook, if you'd like to see them then friend me. I will try to post some into the RIL soon. I have to re-size them all in order to post them here; I don't have to do all that when I post to Facebook.

I'm going to make appointments with a dermatologist for Larry and I. We are at an age when we should have our skin looked over for any signs of skin cancer. We don't have anything troubling us; just a good idea.:thumbsup:

I had a nice supper at the restaurant with my friend last evening. She gave me some nice work clothes that she'd out-grown and they are lovely! I was chuffed.

Larry cut the grass and it looks so manicured and nice now. No more signs of the woodchuck lately. :crossfingers:

Have a WONDERFUL day everyone!:wave: :heart:

painterbear
07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just past 8:30 a.m. here in blessedly cool Oakwood. Feels like early Fall rather than summer for a change. :D

Larry is out for his walk (taking a break from running today). When he returns we'll go out and harvest our swiss chard. We are having it with a focaccia bread for dinner tonight. One of our favorite ways to have it.

Lulu, That is an enormous swede (beet?). Glad it was tasty all the way through. You really wouldn't need more than one of that size, eh. ;)

Kev, What a wonderful adventure you and Chris have had this past month. Hope you have an easy and safe journey home.

Doug, I'm glad the new meds are letting you get a good night's sleep. That is so important to our overall feeling of health. :thumbsup:

Annie, I like what you said "We are not rich enough to do it on the cheap." That is such a true statement, especially when doing something like building a wall or a house or a room. Good workmen know their worth and charge accordingly. ;) Glad Roger is having fun "helping" them out too.

Henry, That is so awful that Leslie has gotten MSRA while in the hospice facility. I hope they are able to stop it and help her get well. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be feeling. :grouphug: for both of you.

Reggie, Here's an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY wish for you. I'm so glad your new job is working out so well. Took you a little while to find it, but sounds like the wait was worth it. :thumbsup:

Uschi, What a shame the Academy didn't let Ethan's parents know about what the true cost of the "scholorship" was going to be before they got everyone's hopes up, especially Ethan's. I'm sure he is going to be very disappointed, but that expense would mean the rest of the family would have no life other than support his education. Not very feasible, eh.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way. Gotta get dressed now.

SYL,

Sylvia

Strawberry Wine
07-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Good Day Washers !

Brrr. a cold 11 C.this morning with high winds. and beautiful blue skies. It will be a lovely day once it warms up some.

I am having a visitor around noon today. He is another long lost relative who contacted me this past April. This is the 2nd relative connected to my Great Grandfather who found me due to a posting I did several years ago of two of his paintings here on WC. He is bringing me a self portrait of my GGF and a sketch of my family home where I grew up in Toronto.. I am very excited.

Doug, I am glad the meds are working somewhat and you are getting your sleep. I really don't think that the nausea is caused by your middle ear because you are experiencing burping and slight abdominal pain which would not happen if it was related to your ear and new hearing aids. When is your Dr's appointment?

Henry, huge hugs for Lesley. These hospital born infections are so difficult to treat. :crossfingers: that they can get a handle on it quickly.

Ellen, hoping that the cold your son has is the same strain as the one you are just getting over and that your eye irritation clears up quickly.

Annie, is that a retaining wall you are constructing?

Kev, safe trip home. Hope you can sleep well on the night flight part of your journey home.

Uschi, are there any options open to Nathan other than the boarding school one? Can he apply for a scholarship somewhere to help offset the costs?

I need to do a bit of tidying before my cousin arrives so I will :wave: to all and BBL

cheers,

Gail

CharM
07-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Good morning Washer Pals! It's a cool 12C and sunny here in SW Ontario... I'd no sooner bragged about all the sun yesterday morning then the sky opened up and it rained... ALL day!

So, sitting at the Show was a lot of fun... I had 19 visitors and chatted with all of them about their medium and composition preferences... I also managed to begin a new little painting which garnered some interest from the visitors as well. Oh... and my Cheery Cherries has a red dot!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2013/20514-CharCherries.jpg

I want to clean out my food cupboard in the trailer today. Other than that, I don't have any plans. I'll work on my little still life, I think. There are a couple of light fixtures in the trailer that need to be repaired, so I think that Ted will tackle that.

That's so sad, Uschi... I'm sure that poor Ethan will be devastated and will not understand why he can't attend... :(

Oh Bill... such a hard loss to deal with... Interestingly enough, we had a couple of Ash trees felled on our back slope. We didn't deal with the stumps and one of the trees has re-grown... Since the ash borers have moved on, we feel safe in allowing it to mature. There was so much ash hardwood in our area that the mills didn't want it... People could hardly give it away... :(

Doris, your basket of veggies sounds SO good!

Lynn... the little yurt looks almost as comfortable as our trailer! Such a pretty setting...

Turnip! That's a huge turnip, Lulu! How neat that your Sister dropped by and so good that she's doing so much better...

Geoff, blue really does suit you though... hope you're having a great time caravaning...

:clap: Doug...

:wave: Kev... bon voyage and safe flight home! Your Mt. Nebo adventure was priceless! :lol: Even more so because you trusted JJ's ability to NOT get you lost! :lol:

Hi Tony... have a good day at work!

Annie, I hope you'll keep the progress photos of the Great Wall coming...

Nancy, I don't really know of an ideal Health Care System... with socialized medicine, we often deal with very long waiting lists for tests to be done... :thumbsup: that your back doesn't hurt!

Oh my gosh, Henry... I simply cannot believe the travesty of what Lesley's been through and insult keeps being added to injury! :mad:

No matter what you end up doing today, Ellen, have a good one! I've been waiting for you to finish that portrait on your easel... :p

Hiya Nancy, Reggie (Happy Birthday tomorrow!!!!)

Hi Darla... repurposing work clothes is such a great idea! I'll go and check out your FB page.

Sylvia, do you make your own focaccia? It's one of my favourite breads...

How EXCITING, Gail!!!!!!

I guess we're off to the Wednesday Market... I love it when Ted plans our day! :lol: I sure hope that yours is the very best possible. Prayers for Lyn, and especially Lesley... :heart:

Granny R
07-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Congratulations on your "red dot" Char. Yes I am a bonafide lurker. Just don't have much to say most of the time.
I do follow along everyone's happenings, and cheer for the good stuff and commiserate for the hardships.
Am enjoying the cooler weather. Nice break for those who work outside.
Ruth

Yorky
07-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Well had a trip out and come back with a new microwave/oven. Our existing one has been playing up for ages.

:grouphug:Henry and Lesley :grouphug: what an awful thing to happen. Hope they can get a grip on the infection.

Congratulations on the red dot Char - a beautiful painting and a lovely photograph.

An early Happy Birthday to Rerggie, good to see you pop in, glad the job is going well.

You may be able to upload your originals Darla, if they are not too big a file the system will re-size them for you. What's your Facebook name?

Doug

JudyL
07-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi :wave:
Ah the Swede is .......a Rutabaga! known in the UK as a "Swedish Turnip" (at least I learned something in my years in the UK) it took me longer to figure out things like "Rocket" and "Monge Tu" (arugula and snow peas)

I am dithering about my walk, I am considering just skipping it this morning I intended to do that 5 days a week and have been doing it daily, maybe a day off or an evening walk.
I still have to finish my painting so, that's decided day off and I will take my shower.

more later

olliewood0702
07-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Doug, I've tried and it won't re-size them for me like it used to. :( I'm Darla McConnell Woodkowski on Facebook; and I believe you're my friend. I've not posted those of England yet though; just some of Scotland so far.

CONGRATULATIONS CHAR...what does a red dot mean? Sold? Award? Whatever it is it has to be good. :D

Whoohoo I was right....A swede is a rutababa! Thanks Judy for clearing that up. ;)

Almost lunch time here....and I'm hungry too.

Europa
07-24-2013, 01:13 PM
HI WASHGANGEROOS!!

Just popping in with a quick update - Mum is doing a lot better - practically back to her old self. While I was there the physios came to do some walking with her - she walked to the end of the bed = turned round and came back. They were full of praise until I mentioned that she may have her back straight but her knees were still bent. They didn't seemed very happy but hey - am not going to let them think she is progressing - they never looked at how she had her knees at all.

Hopefully she will be discharged either tomorrow or Friday - I have managed to persuade her to go into the rehab facility which is literally two mins from our house. I went to inspect it yesterday...lol...they were very nice and showed me around. I have told her that if she was at home she would probably only get physio once a week and it wouldn't be straight away as there is a waiting list.

But in the rehab she would get it probably twice a day and I can go and see her every day....also if she is not happy I will just bring her straight home. She could see the sense in it and I have had good reports about the facility so am happy for her to go in there.

Must admit am at a bit of a loss what to do with myself with this 'freedom' but suppose I should make the most of it. May go fishing with my DS Jamie sometime this weekend - that will be nice.

I have managed to organise her visitors so she is not left out at visiting times - they have a policy now where if there is only one of you visiting you can go any time between 8 am and 8 pm except mealtimes which is much more convenient.

My eldest nephew was going up to see her this afternoon as he was in the area - when I told her she wanted me to tidy up around her bed....:eek: - well you can imagine my reply....no one tidies up when I go visiting....lol.

Am going to say ....What Char said.....have to go and sort out the accounts for the accountant - need to be in by the end of this week.

Waving to everyone :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

Uschi
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Good Afternoon!!!

Taking a break after table tennis and lunch, laundry after that.

It was downright chilly this morning, 10C and a really strong NORTH wind. But the sun is shinging, the wind has died down a bit and 20C, PERFECT for me:thumbsup:

Going to say what They ^^^^ said with a few exceptions.

Henry, all I thought has already been said so just sending a :grouphug: and my very best wishes!!

Char :clap: :clap: :clap: I am so glad I saw it in person before it sold!!! Nicke necklace you are wearing there:)

Pat, I am so glad your mom is feeling better!!! Enjoy your little bit of freexom!!

Reggie, I have often wondered how your job was working out, so glad it is good!!!! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

A lady who had previously bought one of my framed small paintings of a pink rose wants a companion piece of a white rose. I half finished it yesterday will try and get it done in between laundry loads.

:wave: to ALL!!!!

Uschi

WthrLady
07-24-2013, 05:06 PM
George Alexander Louis...... well... alrighty then.

I got the Alexander right, george I would NEVER have picted, and didn't see Louis coming at ALL !

Canned a gallon of peaches and three gallons of blackberries today.

(picked all fresh from the tree and vine by me this morning. ) Phew.

I need a nap!

shipbroker
07-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Glad Winnie improving Pat.....fishing sounds a good idea to me

Henry , sorry about further problems we have encountered MRSA within iur own group.

Must away to the cool evening...

geoff

JudyL
07-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Hi, Ok, I'm hooked I did go on my walk a good thing. We had to take the kids to pick up their "new" car with old problem, which they could not fix, it's better but may need to go to the "Real" dealer for a fix. To bad, just off warranty.
Then we all went o Carl's Jr. for food. I had the Teriyaki Turkey Burger.

Pat good news for Winnie, she should like the attention and nice she will be close to home.

Stuff to do

LynnM
07-24-2013, 05:24 PM
:wave: Busy day, not done yet!

((((Henry and Lesley)))) words fail me.....

Congrats, Char, it's a super painting, lucky people!

Glad Winnie is improving, and great that she will be in rehab.

Happy Birthday, Reggie!!! I won't likely have time to come in tomorrow to wish it :)

That's exciting about your new to you relative, art runs in the family! in ours too.

Greetings to all here and all to come, I'm off on holidays for a couple of weeks or more....will try to check in. :wave:

Lulu
07-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Can't stop, the window cleaner is here and I have to pretend that I'm busy......:lol::lol:

Lovely photo of you and the painting Char! and congrats on the red dot, not surprised though!

Reggie, good to see you, happy birthday for tomorrow too.

Uschi, keep meaning to tell you that I watched a programme the other night on the making of a new doco/movie about table tennis. It might be called Ping Pong? not sure. Anyway, the active players were all over 80 and the oldest 100! so, lots more medals in store for you yet. :D

More hugs for Winnie and Pat.
Also Henry and Lesley, what a rotten run you are having! :heart:

Love the baby's name!

villagernb
07-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Good evening everyone.

We will be rising at 4 am to rush to the airport for our early departure. Flight to Montreal and then on to Vancouver. We chatted on the phone with our son, the bridegroom this evening. He says that everyone at the in-laws house are getting anxious. (I'm glad we booked a hotel to stay in!):wink2:

Can't remember everyone's news but,

(((Henry and Lesley)))--so sorry for all that you both are going through.:grouphug: :heart:

Glad the meds are kicking in Doug.

Uschi, that makes me :mad: that the Ballet School got Ethan's hopes up like that and then told his parents that they would have to pay a "king's ransom" in fees! Poor little lad, I feel bad for him!

Lynn, enjoy your camping trip! That sounds like a lot of fun!

Darla, hope that you and Larry have a lot of fun on YOUR trip with the girls!

Happy Birthday, Reggie! Have a great one!

Congratulations, Char! Looking great in your photo! (That's a :cool: necklace!

Kay, sorry for your "dead" TV! Hope you can find some form of entertainment!

Ellen, don't you ever rest when you're on holidays?:)

We packed our bags last night; I was so relieved to get that job done! We need clothes for the wedding and other "parties", cycling gear and other athletic clothes (if there's time, I think I want to do the "Grouse Grind":eek: )

Have to go; may not be back until next week.

Good night all.

Anne

JudyL
07-24-2013, 11:30 PM
By now we all know the name is George Alexander Louie.

Oh and I don't think they should pass Charles for William. Let William and Kate have a (fairly) normal life.