PDA

View Full Version : Blues Rising

trufflecat
07-23-2013, 11:10 AM
This painting was inspired by a recent trip along the "Blues Trail" from New Orleans to Memphis,TN, Clarksdale, MS, and Chicago. We heard so much good blues that I just had to do a painting to express my enjoyment of it.

It is also an attempt to soften some edges and acquire some depth. In previous paintings I felt the edges of my abstract shapes were always too sharp and the result didn't have enough complexity or depth to it.

18x24 oil on canvas
Let me know how I did, please!
(This was very difficult to photograph even with the help of my expert photographer husband. The colors of the 'bubbles' are brighter and the purples on the left side less bright IRL.)

cmorford
07-23-2013, 12:45 PM
I like it! Well done!

davefriend
07-23-2013, 02:16 PM
There is something about this piece that I very much like. It is a happy piece and I like the shapes for the most part. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the large yellow mass is too much and also it is tending to lead my eye up and out by way of the top. But still this is a very attractive painting which is soothing as well as energizing to me. Nice one Spottters!

trufflecat
07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
There is something about this piece that I very much like. It is a happy piece and I like the shapes for the most part. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the large yellow mass is too much and also it is tending to lead my eye up and out by way of the top. But still this is a very attractive painting which is soothing as well as energizing to me. Nice one Spottters!

Thanks, Dave, for your comments (though I'm not Spotters!) Interesting about the way you said your eye is leading up and away, as that was in fact my intention!

davefriend
07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Dave, for your comments (though I'm not Spotters!) Interesting about the way you said your eye is leading up and away, as that was in fact my intention!OOPS ...sorry Susan, should double check before I hit post :confused: :o

Interesting that you want to send the eye out of the frame because I have read many reviews of peoples art that encourage avoiding this. Still delightfully curious :thumbsup:

trufflecat
07-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes, I have heard that caveat also. And I do see the point of keeping the eye within the painting, but I wanted to project the idea of the music bubbling up and away. Perhaps there's some way to accomplish both objectives -?

birdhs
07-23-2013, 05:29 PM
I agree this is a happy painting.
not the usual dab and jab highspeed canvas,
but a deliberate piece, carefully 'orchestrated'
each square seems to be a note, yellow seems to be the voice.

The care with which you decided where each note was makes me think you also write music.

a very good piece
very good indeed

thanx4sharing

greggo

Katie Black
07-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi Susan, I turned the painting vertical, with the dark blue at the bottom right (just to see the effect of the yellow mass), and it seems to weave its way up, away, and out of the painting more effectively IMHO, So although I do like your orientation, I am thinking rather than have the yellow mass so central, maybe you could pull out some wisps of yellow to the right of the painting (like smoke out of a chimney)

It's a lovely painting.

trufflecat
07-24-2013, 12:04 AM
I agree this is a happy painting.
not the usual dab and jab highspeed canvas,
but a deliberate piece, carefully 'orchestrated'
each square seems to be a note, yellow seems to be the voice.

The care with which you decided where each note was makes me think you also write music.

a very good piece
very good indeed

thanx4sharing

greggo

Greggo, thanks so much for your nice comments! It did take me a long time to do this painting, though I had a lot of fun doing it. (I wish I could paint faster like many of you!)

I'm afraid I don't write music, but I do love to listen to it.

trufflecat
07-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Hi Susan, I turned the painting vertical, with the dark blue at the bottom right (just to see the effect of the yellow mass), and it seems to weave its way up, away, and out of the painting more effectively IMHO, So although I do like your orientation, I am thinking rather than have the yellow mass so central, maybe you could pull out some wisps of yellow to the right of the painting (like smoke out of a chimney)

It's a lovely painting.

Thank you, Katie. That means a lot coming from you, as I admire your work so much. Your idea of rotating it is quite interesting. I just tried it in Photoshop, and I see what you mean. I will ponder it some more.

abstractca
07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
looks like a beautiful bright puzzle to me..sign bright shapes nice job

trufflecat
07-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your input.

jimwhalen
07-26-2013, 05:56 AM
This is a lovely painting Susan. You have made great color and value choices that illustrate the movement that you describe. The yellow area leading the eye up and out of the canvas is not a big problem for me.
I would leave it like it is and study it a while before deciding to change it or not. Thanks for posting it.

trufflecat
07-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Jim! I was hoping I'd hear from you. I agree that I should study it for awhile before considering changing it.