PDA

View Full Version : Out Ridin' Fences...

alangraham
07-22-2013, 08:52 AM
As with Big Yellow Taxi, I've been listening to a ton of older music of late. The Eagles' Desperado came on the other day, and I just love that song. For the longest time I've wanted to do some type of painting/theme of it, but could never think what?? Finally got an idea and whipped out this.

I think it's OK, but the composition is not to my liking. It was more like an action painting and I was entirely moved by just some sort of energy/passion so I'll leave it be. It was odd, but I'm not even sure when I started working yet looked up to see the that it was getting late and wondered where the time went. Lost in painting. It was nice :).

I do like the simple feeling, and again similar to Big Yellow Taxi. Simply painted and sketched, yet with a deeper meaning beneath.

alangraham
07-22-2013, 08:54 AM
When I said composition, I meant I do not like where the man/horse is. At least I got the sign/pole in a good spot so the view should see the red heart.

HenrietteW
07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
I agree with you. I think it could have been solved by allowing more space between pole and rider - and tweaked the perspective so that the rider would be heading towards a horizon rather than the edge of the paper.
Other than that, I really like the emotive part of it and you have applied just the right amount of colour. I like! :)

jimwhalen
07-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Cory, your Victorian/steampunk illustrations and these pop song inspired pieces are so engaging! Yes the man on the horse could have been better positioned, but everything else about this works so well...I'm really enjoying this side of your work. Thanks for posting these, hope this is not the last of the series!

alangraham
07-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Henriette--Thanks and I totally agree. Feel like the guy should be moved to the left about an inch. Happy the color works for you :)

davefriend
07-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Actually on the other side of the equation the comp you have emphasizes that he is on the way out (of the picture) to do his job. I actually like how it is set up. Love the heart icon on the signpost but can't read the other direction's symbol.

Like Jim said, these (your series lately) are very engaging!

alangraham
07-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks Dave :). The other icon should resemble a diamond. Basically, he's leaving the queen of hearts for the queen of diamonds. Has what he needs, but wants what he wants.

HenrietteW
07-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks Dave :). The other icon should resemble a diamond. Basically, he's leaving the queen of hearts for the queen of diamonds. Has what he needs, but wants what he wants.

Heh - I mistook that for a peace symbol - lying down. :cool:

jimwhalen
07-22-2013, 03:22 PM

I saw the diamond, but was not sure of it's meaning, however that didn't detract from me enjoying and understanding the painting in my own way.

Jon
07-23-2013, 08:56 AM
When I said composition, I meant I do not like where the man/horse is. At least I got the sign/pole in a good spot so the view should see the red heart.No worries, Cory, cowboys are a notoriously independent lot. :)

alangraham
07-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Heh - I mistook that for a peace symbol - lying down. :cool:

Haha :clap: :lol:

alangraham
07-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Jim-- yeah, this guy is a jerk. Leaving a wonderful woman for what he'll never attain...

alangraham
07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
No worries, Cory, cowboys are a notoriously independent lot. :)

Independent, yes. Lonely, yes.

Katie Black
07-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Nice..the heart is a nice touch!:)

ShaunGa
07-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Often in spirituality we have the dilemma of money vs. Love. It is a paradox often set up for the psyches of many believers. I don't believe money is the heart of all evil. It often lets us do great things in the world. Maybe this is a work aholic who chooses his job over his wife. Simple yet to the point.

Shaun