PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall in Africa

frujin
07-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Hello guys, I tried this acrylic on canvas, 30x24cm. Any suggestions, critiques, that can help me improve are very welcome. Thanks :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2013/1020452-wf.jpg

Yorky
07-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Wonderfully done, though I think the tree branch seems to end abruptly. If it was broken off I would have shown the broken end protruding.

Doug

gebhm
07-22-2013, 10:55 AM
I agree about the broken tree limb needing to show the end. I realize real life may not show it that way, but sometimes a little artistic license is needed to make it look right. Other than that I really like this piece.

Yorky
07-22-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm a watercolour painter and I just realised that with a acrylics you can eliminate the limb altogether :rolleyes:

Doug

OziAfricana
07-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Love the choice of colours.

D.W. Flint
07-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Yes, I would do away with the limb. The rest is beautiful...

chunbumpark
07-24-2013, 04:10 PM
It's really hard to depict falling water as mass of white pigment. Nice job!

harryfisherman
07-25-2013, 04:20 AM
I see a lot of good things going on here.
White in a painting is like a pause in a song. It's a note of silence. Break it up.

Put a rock in the waterfall. Watch your value contrast. Also break up the left edge of the waterfall. Have it spill over a rock.

The tree in the fore ground.....That broken branch is distracting.

Two things. Branch could be thinner but use it coming out of the left side and broken, to break the straight line of the trunk. The knot a little further down on the right could protrude more to break the straight line on the right.

Put a piece of clear plastic over your dry painting. Make any changes on the plastic. Your sense of esthetics got you this far. The rest should be a piece of cake.

Harry [email protected]

dgford
07-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Great advice already given. If that is a near tree on the right make it a little lighter to bring it forward.
Great possibilities here. Go for it !
Geoff

rossmarie
07-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Well done! Lovely colours and tonal contrasts. The brilliant light on the waterfall, is super and I like the contrast of the darker shadow on the the right with the spray and water vapour in the air. Others have mentioned the limb of the tree...maybe looks a little odd .... but it's relatively unimportant. Your painting as a whole works very well indeed. I like it.

Mike :thumbsup: :clap: