PDA

View Full Version : The Cat (Finished for OC)

EdithsArt
07-21-2013, 12:13 PM
The Cat, Oil on Linen (50x65cm), 2013

Interested in all feedback and opinions. Specifically color harmony and light balance, but all is welcome (here to learn!).

I can't post in the Open Critique forum, some moderator assistance would be most welcome and appreciated!

Thank you for all your feedback!
- Edith

http://edithsart.nl/images/the-cat1024.jpg

Deborah Hern
07-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Really like you cat! Did you use a photo?

EdithsArt
07-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes, didn't have a cat handy :) I saw this cat during a vacation in Italy and thought it was so beautiful. I changed the background and the cat a little (wanted some catchy eyes) and couldn't leave out the key around it's neck. My own curiosity I guess...:-)

http://edithsart.com/images/DSC01966.jpg

mkillough
07-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Of course that is the key to our hearts all cats carry about their neck; or might it be the key to Pandora's Box. I absolutely adore the lovely cat and key. Both are perfection!
Even the wood of the old door could give you a splinter.
This is very beautiful work! :thumbsup:

Maryq

EdithsArt
07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your comments, Deborah and Maryq! Haha, it's indeed the question whether the key is to our hearts or to Pandora's box:lol:

bocote
08-07-2013, 04:05 PM
This is a nice painting. The cats neck and back have a hard edge with the background; the cat/background edge under the key looks much better. Background lacks interaction with the subject; shadows behind the cat and perhaps some darker area on one side of the back corner or the other - the photo reference with the cat will help. Your perspective is off (perpendicular lines throughout) which is not helping this painting.

have fun,

gumtreefriends
08-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Love the colours Edith! and the light on the stair.

snoball
08-30-2013, 08:26 AM
I agree with Bryan on the hard back edge. The hard edges make the cat look pasted onto the background. The technique on the cat and the wood, as well as the stone step are impeccable.

AllisonR
09-01-2013, 11:08 AM
This painting has a lovely illustrative quality. Color harmony I think you are successful by bringing the blue door paint into the eyes and adding more interesting color than in the original photo. The details - wood, stone, fur are wonderfully painted.

I agree about the back. Look at the photo. Darken the door where it meets the back of the cat. Look at grey values, almost the same, but in your painting door is much lighter there at the bottom. The perspective bothers me a bit as well - something to work on in your next painting. Find vanishing point and draw the lines accordingly.

Artassist
09-02-2013, 02:43 AM
Stunning! I wish I could paint like that!:wave: :thumbsup:

maryinasia
09-06-2013, 10:02 AM
beautiful