PDA

View Full Version : Big Yellow Taxi...

alangraham
07-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Heard the old Joni Mitchell version (original) the other day in my car (always listen to The Bridge channel on xm/sirrus). Honestly, I had first heard this as a Counting Crows song in 2003 or so. Later found out it was Joni's. Like both, but her version for sure has more of an environmental/political feel.

Just a small dip pen and ink sketch, 5in x 7in. Went for a very playful, kid feel. It was fun, and am thinking I should go back and add another layer of color, either with ink or paint.

Inward Arts
07-21-2013, 09:49 AM
another layer of paint somewhere may taint its simplicity??? something to consider.

I adore its simplicity and energetic lines. the large taxi reminds me of kids art at the age of 4, when they exaggerate a body part, or a food, to place emphasis on what they are thinking about. (dad drawn with long arms to communicate that dad can reach things in high places)

Rachel

alangraham
07-21-2013, 11:03 AM
another layer of paint somewhere may taint its simplicity??? something to consider.

I adore its simplicity and energetic lines. the large taxi reminds me of kids art at the age of 4, when they exaggerate a body part, or a food, to place emphasis on what they are thinking about. (dad drawn with long arms to communicate that dad can reach things in high places)

Rachel

Thanks for the comments, Rachel :). Good point... another layer may taint the simplicity.

birdhs
07-21-2013, 12:34 PM
just as it is

that's the way I like it

I thought the taxi was flying over the city,
and of course,
JK Rowling came to mind....

and that's why I liked it.

stimulates conversation and imagination.

This piece in any home would be sure to encourage discourse

and what higher compliment can one pay to a painting?

greggo

alangraham
07-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks Greggo :)

Yeah, I'm leaving it be. And yes, what better way of giving a compliment than what you said. Nice, buddy.

HenrietteW
07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
I second the leaving be. :) It's charming as it is.

ShaunGa
07-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Flying cars, takes me into fantasy land or the dreamtime

Shaun

jimwhalen
07-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Flying Big Yellow Taxi, great colors, whimsical, childlike simplicity...I love this and I believe Joni would too.

alangraham
07-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Henriette-- Thanks. Leaving be :)

Shaun-- Thanks, I like dreamtime!

Jim-- Childlike simplicity is what I wanted. I would hope Joni would like it, lol.

Jon
07-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Oh, Miss Joni Mitchell, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got until it's gone, they paved paradise, put up a parking lot!....
A big yellow taxi took away my old man.."
Cory you are having fun and taking me down memory lane!

davefriend
07-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Flying taxi, fun like a magic carpet ride. I like the whimsy Cory

alangraham
07-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Jon-- Thanks man! Great song... I did change the person in the backseat to a woman as in the Counting Crows version...

Dave-- Thanks. Whimsy is fun :)

Jon
07-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Well, I listened to the version you mention and I see what you are saying. :)
Imagine such a name as Counting Crows nothing like the sensible names of groups in my day- say, like The Byrds or The Beatles :lol:

Edit: I am looking forward to one in the series based on some songs of the 50's, how about Mr. Postman?