PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Sunday 21st July 2013**

shipbroker
07-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Good Morrow fellow Washers.

Probably the last one I will start for a while as will be Kindle dependent from today.....

Leaving here mid morning but no groundhogs to chase first!

cheers

geoff

Yorky
07-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Hi Geoff, I'm joining you with another disturbed night.

Have a great trip and I hope you will be able to check in from time to time.

You will be covering areas which used to be very familiar when we lived in Barnsley.

Watching the golf and Tour de France for us today.

Doug

Lulu
07-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Hi Geoff, Doug.....
Have got a swarm of earthquakes going on right now in NZ :eek:http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt

Yorky
07-21-2013, 01:44 AM
:eek: Lulu stay safe!

Doug

Lulu
07-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Will try Doug! bit scary I have to say. To feel them here is something of a change, the rolling went on for a while from the 6.5 one.
Wellington has experienced some damage, nothing major reported so far.
The coastal areas around there have been told to prepare to evacuate.
But hoping that they are settling down now. :crossfingers:

Thinking of the minimeet on Annie's mountain today... hope it went well.

ScarletLake
07-21-2013, 05:56 AM
:clear: :clear: Good morning/evening:clear: :clear:

Another morning up at 4AM to go to bathroom and let Mr. Greyson inside. Then littly kitty wanted to play --the onto FB and chatted with another friend who was also up and now here. And it is 5;45AM.:lol: :lol:

I had a great time at the wedding shower. I was seated at a table of women who get together at the church to put together quilts to give to children and elderly. They were CRAZY.

At the end of the shower my friend said I was the BRAVE one who sat with this group. She joked that I fit in because I had a Cane to walk with. :lol: :lol:

I do have some fabric that I plan to donate to the group on Monday morning.

Today is a get together for my artist friend from 2 -4 pm so I should enjoy that.

Geoff --Enjoy your travels.

Doug - I think my DH will probably watch some of the tour de France too

Lulu - Now an earthquake would scare me. What is it about that region that has so many of them. I just have never looked that up. Hope no one is injured or killed.

Uschi - I can't imagine having a child as young as your grandson leave home. I cried for 3 solid days when my son left for college. :lol: :lol:

Wondering how Doris is surviving the heat of NYC???

We had a downpour Sat around 11am. High winds too. I was just getting ready to go to the farmers market when it hit. I knew tents/booths would be upset.

well off to try and catch a few more winks.:wink2: :wink2:

Anita

Lulu
07-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Anita - here's the answer to your question Why does NZ have so many earthquakes? (Why does NZ have so many earthquakes?)

They never used to scare me, until I was closely involved with one of the major ones at Inangahua (Inangahua) I was working at a nearby hospital at the time.

There are actually about 20,000 recorded each year (according to Wikipedia!) but only about 200 are strong enough to be felt.
It is rare for us to feel one here, but never say never, Christchurch would have said that too, once...

Things seem to have got quieter....Wellington has some structural damage here and there but nothing major reported so far, and no-one badly injured, thank God. Trains have been cancelled but the airport is open again.

So, no news from the mini-meet yet.........so will go to bed and look again in the morning. :wave:

doppler
07-21-2013, 06:50 AM
BOO Lulu of the Shaky Isles. :eek: And Geoff, Doug and Anita. :wave:

The minimeet was excellent. Kev and Chris are just wonderful people. Full report tomorrow and Kev can describe his own navigational skills.:lol: :lol: JJ looking good too. I'm off to do the dishes. :wave: Oh Roger has done them. :D :cool:

Sleep beckons.

Ellen in Ont
07-21-2013, 08:35 AM
:wave: everyone,
The high yesterday only reached 13 and it was only 5 last ight. It should be warmer and sunny today so the washing will be on the line soon. This afternoon I will be at my art clubs open studio we hold every Sun afternoon during the summer. I'll work on a quick painting that isn't going so quickly. :rolleyes: it has to be finished for the end of the month for our clubs summer show.

Lulu - I hope all the aftershocks are small ones. Better for the tension in the earth to be released in a series of smaller shocks than storing all that energy to release at once.

Annie - Can't wait for pics and stories from the mini meet.

Good morning Geoff, Doug, Anita, and all who follow. The laundry waits.

laudesan
07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Minimeet was fun. I too, shall let Kev tell his story of his trip up the mountain. He may want to add an antidote or two about the trip down again. Didn't waste any time driving down, didn't see any kangaroos. Thank goodness..
Those signs are wild. 80 km/h, go 50 yards hit the breaks as the next one says 40 km/h :o

No internet or cell phone covereage, for me, on the mountain, so that messed with my GPS's and didn't allow me to post a photo or two.. And it got us a little misplaced coming home. oooops. Still only a small right turn out of our way. Breakfast Creek looks lovely at night..

Got home around 9.30pm Annie cooked a fabulous Spaghetti Bolognaise for dinner.. Thank you Annie. Your hospitality is, as always wonderful!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2013/22284-1337_10151818910887975_895356170_n.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2013/22284-988635_10151818912382975_926995493_n.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2013/22284-Orange_Rose.jpg

I can't show you any more photos until I resize them and it is too late tonight.....

Love - hugs - healing vibes..

Later.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :wave:

Strawberry Wine
07-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Good Day Washers

Blue skies and coolish this morning but will warm to about 24 C. 14 C at 8:00 a.m. this morning.

:grouphug: Lulu :grouphug:. Stay home and stay safe.... Can't imagine how scary an earthquake would be. I have only felt 3 in my lifetime and we were never even sure if they were earthquakes or something else.
That being said, I was preparing for tornados touching down the other day even though the warnings were for northern Ontario .

Anita, you enjoy such a busy social life. :thumbsup: have a great afternoon visiting your artist friends gathering.

Doug, hoping you have an easy day

Geoff, Happy Travels.

Annie, photos please !

Forgot yesterday to welcome back, Clara. Lovely to see you posting in the Wash again. !

Time to start the last of the laundry for this week. Just towels and bedding that will go out on the line for drying.

:wave: to all yet to arrive

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

CharM
07-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Good morning! It's blessedly cooler this morning. We have opened up the house to allow some fresh air inside. I have a little more laundry to clean up (get it? *clean up* :lol:)...

So, bragging that we had hydro while all those around us were in the dark was not wise... ours went down while the Workers were attempting to get everyone back up and running. We'd been raking up sticks and picking up branches most of the day and were hot and tired. We're pretty darned lucky, though, and took a dip in the lake.

I didn't make dinner because we were going to the Opening of the Desmond Show and there were lots of finger foods offered. When we left the party, Patty (Bluegenes) and Ruth (GrannyR) had already sold pieces! I hope they're lurking and congratulate them on their beautiful work!

Driving to the Show was interesting... lots of huge trees were taken down by the storm... and something I've never seen before were the cornfields laid flat! :eek:

I spoke with Army Son this morning... they're still without hydro up there and he suspects that the contents of his freezer are lost... :( We remind ourselves that it could have been much worse.

Uschi, you are not a scary groundhog whisperer/screamer... :lol:

Geoff, I shall miss you... Enjoy your trip...

((Doug)) I sure hope your tests reveal what's wrong so that you can get treatment!

Lulu... :eek: I sure hope the damage is minimal...

Annie... I knew you'd have a great time and look forward to some photos!

Ellen, isn't it interesting how paintings seem to have a life of their own... something that we think is difficult ends up breezing by while a simple composition can take forever... enjoy the process, no matter what... :)

Of course you got lost, JJ... :lol: :lol:

I'm going to head to the grocery store before it gets too busy... We have no staples on hand at all... and the kitties have no treats! I hope that everyone has the very best day, possible!

We x-posted Gail... it should be a good drying day!

Uschi
07-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Good Morning!!!!

Cooler here too and also less sunshine.

Will spend most of the day in the garden and going to my sons' baseball game in the afternoon.

Lulu, scary stuff!! I have never experienced an earth quake. I hope you are safe!!!!

Was hoping for photos from the mini meet. These people sure like to keep us in suspence:) Nice photos of the garden JJ:thumbsup:

Char, keeping :crossfingers: for sales at the show. I googled the sink hole :eek: and one car actually went down. Saw an interview with him. :heart: :heart: Google:lol:

Congrats to Patty and Ruth.

Anita, I would have been heart broken too. I guess the fact that it is only an hour's drive away helps. Glad you had a good time at the shower.

Ellen, I hope you have lots of activity at the open house.

Also :wave: to Doug, Annie, Geoff, Gail and all yet to come!!! HAWLTAIN!!!

Uschi

painterbear
07-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Good Morning all,
It is quarter to eleven here in much nicer temp-wise Oakwood. Cooler still tomorrow. :clap:

Larry and I went grocery shopping already and got some lovely locally grown produce and fresh fruit. Trying to eat down the supplies in the freezer because we are thinking about getting a new one soon. The one we have is 16 yrs old and beginning to make strange noises. Reading reviews of various freezers to try to find one that people think works well and consistently. We haven't been happy with the new appliances we've bought in the last few years even though we did a lot of research before buying them. :angry:

Glad the mini-meet of Australian and British Washers went well, looking forward to hearing about and seeing photos of it.

Char, You are sooooo lucky to have that lovely lake to pop into when you are hot and sweaty and no hydro is available indoors. What a lovely result of the Desmond Show that people are actually buying art. :thumbsup:

Uschi and Darla, We saw a groundhog a couple of months ago coming out from under our neighbor in back's wood piles (he heats his house with a wood stove so has huge stacks of wood). I was worried about our garden because I understand they can dig under a fence, but so far we haven't seen him or his trail anywhere near the garden. :crossfingers: that continues.

Lulu, We heard on the news about the earthquake swarm in New Zealand this morning. Hope you only feel little shakes and not a big one. I've felt earthquakes three times once in California when there was a major one down in the Los Angelas region; once in Ankara, Turkey, and once here in Ohio. The one in Turkey and Ohio were over before I knew what it was I was feeling. In fact, it was late at night here in Ohio and I thought the street sweeper was going past our house and making it shake. Next day they said it as a 4.0 earthquake. :lol:

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way. Gotta do my morning PT routine before Larry gets back from his walk/jog.

SYL,

Sylvia

Scene Chaser
07-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Good Day All,
I was here earlier but too tired and went back to bed. But first washed the dishes and baked a loaf of bread.

It's almost 11:00 AM and only 89 F. Cooling off I guess.

Sylvia, you can't beat the old freezers. We inherited ours from Janet's mother. It's over 50 years old and works great.

I'll be looking forward to the Meet photos.

Bill

LynnM
07-21-2013, 11:16 AM
:wave: Nice cool temps here, I need to put my fleece on, only 18C at the moment. Sewing catch up day here, and maybe finish off my homework for Johannes.

I finally finished up a gouache painting from last year, getting it ready to go in the member's show at the gallery. I've posted it in the Gallery here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324217).

Lulu, that is scary, hope it settles down soon. I know that in places like Los Angeles, everyone takes it for granted, but even there they don't seem to have so many as you are there.

Thanks for the photos, JJ, sounds like you had a lovely evening! Looking forward to more pics.

Hi Geoff, happy travels!

(((Doug)))sorry you are still in discomfort.

Good luck with your painting, Ellen.

Hi Annie, Anita, Char, Gail, Uschi, Sylvia, Bill and all to come, have a good day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug: to all in need.

olliewood0702
07-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Hello one and all!

We are cleaning the house; we did the garage yesterday; it took us all day and we were quite tired last evening. We forgot to eat all day and were eating at quarter of nine last night while we sat by a bonfire in our fire pit.

Today is the house; then a trip to the grocery store for a few things. I don't know if Jen and girls will come over later or not. Matt is working out of town and I don't know when he's coming home. We didn't see them at all yesterday; we were just too busy.

LuLu, that is really scary; I'd be afraid too.:eek:

JJ, nice pics; can't wait to see mini-meet pics too. I'm glad you had such a nice time with Annie and Kev.

It had a nice breeze yesterday but was still warm with low humidity. It's cooler out there today too, ahh...feels good.

I hope you all have a GREAT DAY whatever it is you're doing.:wave: :heart:

BBL...maybe.

kaypainter
07-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Wow, is there a problem with WC? No one's posted since 6am my time (9am EDT).

Well I went to a lovely concert last night. I won tix to LA's only "legal" orchestra and chorus. That's how they bill themselves. The entire orchestra and chorus are made up of members of the legal profession. They were wonderful. Sitting judges and justices, lawyers, legal assistants, court reporters. They played Dvorak's New World Symphony, some Verdi, Bernstein, and Beethoven. Considering they have pretty heavy duty day jobs they "gave good concert." :lol: Oh -- and June Lockhart was the emcee. She looked lovely. She's 88 years young!

I especially wanted to go because I have never been inside the Walt Disney Concert Hall (http://www.laphil.com/philpedia/about-walt-disney-concert-hall). What a magnificent building. And the acoustics are wonderful.

Good to be back in jewelry class. I am taking two classes, one on Thursday & one on Friday. The Friday class is 4 hours! Really is a great motivator to be with others.

Which brings me to Uschi's Ethan. Congrats to him. That is just wonderful. I suspect he is too caught up in his classes to be missing you all. Sorry, it can get like that when you are doing what you love. He must be so excited as well.

Glad the mini-meet went off well. :envy:

Lynn your gouache turned out really well. It's beautiful.

Char I suspect all creative forms are like that. I am amazed sometimes at how a simple jewelry piece (or what I thought was) can turn into a nightmare, and something I thought would be difficult turns out to be a breeze. Have fun at the show.

Lulu sorry about your earthquakes. I'd still rather have them than tornadoes. Although that's not saying much. I just watched a documentary on PBS about earthquakes and all the different quake zones and how they are still trying to predict them. I think the tsunamis are the scariest part.

Sylvia sorry about your appliance woes. Hope you find a freezer as good as Bill and Janet's. :eek:

Anita you better watch it or those crazy women will grab you up for a quilting bee! :lol:

Weather here is weird and awful. Yesterday I walked to the library to return some books and was spit on by 8 drops of rain. It's hot and muggy and humid and dark and cloudy. But the skies won't just open up! Ick, ick, ick. What happened to LA weather? :( :confused:

Well I'll say bye for now. Have to go buy cat litter and clean out the box. It's too hot and sticky for the job, but somebody's got to do it. I don't see the furkids volunteering.

HAWLTAIN especially Henry and Lesley

:wave: :wave:

Kay

LynnM
07-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Yes, Darla, such a relief to be outside in comfort!

Hi Kay, thanks for stopping by my painting, glad you liked it! That's an amazing looking building! Great that you are back at the jewellery, it's rewarding to work on what you love. I am enjoying my classes with Johannes, he is making us practice :)

Scene Chaser
07-21-2013, 06:05 PM
I've stayed away from the Wash until The Open, delayed for me, was finished. I cheered for Westwood while he was in the lead, but my favorite player of all-time, Phil Mickelson, won.

Kay, what a great concert I bet that was.

Lulu, did you hear about the woman jailed in Dubai for having been raped? And in a place where most of the residents are not Muslims. As modern as it is, it is still not a very safe place to live, especially for a woman.

Hope the earth stops shaking for you.

Bill

Lulu
07-21-2013, 07:15 PM
it is still not a very safe place to live, especially for a woman.

Thanks Bill, I really needed to hear that...

kaypainter
07-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh! My TV died today. It's an old analog 19 inch. I don't want to buy a new TV. Well I guess that means I'm either going to read a lot or . . . hhhhhmmmm.

I was trying to watch the open when it went pphhttt. I'm glad Phil Mickelson won. He seems like such a nice guy. Did you see his practice shot the other day? He got stuck on the side of a bunker so he hit the shot backward in a high arc over his head and it looped out and over the bunker onto the correct side of the green.

Well must go make a decision about dinner.

:wave: :wave:

Kay

painterbear
07-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Hi All,
I'm on my way upstairs to read for a while before going to sleep, but wanted to let you know I saw a post by Pat on FB that her Mum, Winnie, has been taken to the hospital by ambulance. I don't know what the problem is, but that doesn't sound good. So white light heading out to Winnie and Pat both and :grouphug: if she checks in here.

SYTomorrow,

Sylvia

CharM
07-21-2013, 10:16 PM
I was just getting ready to shut down, too... white light blasting out to Winnie! :heart: Pat, I'll hold your hand cyberly and keep you (and Mum) in my prayers...