PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Sun and Trees

Inward Arts
07-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Ok, I'm fairly new to the art world, coming from an Art Therapy background.

Currently, I'm a stay at home mom and painting in my spare time. It's a lot different to paint with art concepts in mind, vs. personal growth (art therapy) but I've been playing a lot with different ways to paint...and am trying to have the self discpline to keep going. Making art for art on wall is a lot harder than it looks!

This painting took 15 hrs. and done during naptimes. It felt like forever. Here are some trees..I'd love some feedback.
Thanks~!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2013/1239792-2013-07-19_18.49.10.jpg

Bluto317
07-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I really like this. Not experienced enough to say exactly why.....but I love the back ground and the way the trees seem to jump off the canvas.
Very nice.

Inward Arts
07-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Bluto: Im not so experienced either in critique, but feel overall this is pretty stiff in places (those leaves look heavy) but has its perks too. I enjoyed the color and challenging myself on it. Thanks for your thoughts!

alangraham
07-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Love your style :). The colors look good, and the overall feeling is, well, pleasing.

Now, as for critiques these are just my opinion so keep that in mind. The flowers bug me on the bottom right. The sun is awesome, but my eye keeps getting dragged towards it and away from the trees. Wishing I could see it better as though I could pop my head around the tree and look. What is your focal point would you say?

Overall, I'd say leave it be. I like it. Keep painting and sharing! :)

Inward Arts
07-22-2013, 09:01 AM
alangraham: Thanks ~ as far as a focal point, I'm not really sure! Just reading a lot about an eye should be led to something, so I was thinking the sun. Those flowers (cow parsely) were an afterthought. I thought the ptg needed them to make it more interesting...just the tree with the darn leaves smack in the middle weren't enough it seemed.

I love the C&C and realize I can take or leave it as I wish. But I am learning and don't have a lot of folks to bounce my work off of. So Im appreciative of your thoughts.
Thanks!

alangraham
07-22-2013, 09:42 AM
C&Cs are great, and even if you don't agree it's still interesting to get another's opinion. I find other artists are always the hardest critique :).

Focal point is important, and should be on your mind when creating a piece like this. For example, if you wanted the sun to be the point, then I would have moved it over a bit more to the left. Right now it's to far to the right. Also, think about color. Another example is the green of the leaves. Since it's against a warm backdrop of red and oranges, it should stand out more. Don't forget tone as well.

Sorry, not trying to go into an art lesson. Bouncing ideas off other folks is the best, especially when it's not a friend or family member.

Inward Arts
07-22-2013, 09:47 AM
alangraham: This is great. I was thinking the sun should be in the top third of the ptg, since i was also reading lots about thirds, but I see your opinion on the sun placement ~ its a little too far into the corner up there. If it was a little to the left, (and even dropped down a bit...?) it would pull things together more. This, and the note about leaves/tone, is all perfect stuff to take into my next painting experience. THANKS!

alangraham
07-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Awesome! Yeah, stuff like that you should just keep in mind. The more you paint, the more second nature it becomes. Of course, problems will still arise, but it gets easier to see.

Again, I'd call this one good and not retouch anything :)

blackcatbattery
07-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Art therapy? Great! I was going to minor in that before I ran out of money :) I
I love your colors. Overall I think it's a beautiful piece. The only thing I noticed immediately was that if I had done it, I probably would have wanted a strong horizontal (maybe about 2/3 down the canvas)... something to counterbalance all your strong verticals and keep your eyes from following the trees off the bottom of the painting. And I MAYBE would have gone darker with the reds at the bottom (although that is particularly a personal thing). You have a fine painting. Put it aside and keep going. Great start. Build on it

Inward Arts
07-22-2013, 11:17 AM
blackcatbattery: got the masters in art therapy, and im still paying for it! ha. Thanks for your thoughts. More things to consider along the way. I appreciate it!

Jon
07-23-2013, 08:55 AM
It took me a moment to grasp why I was perplexed with this image and I think it is because I feel as though I am looking at two halves from separate paintings. The right side from the V shaped tree and over looks like a cheery version of a colorful landscape. The left half with the tree holding out an almost arm-like branch and holding something other than leaves leans toward the surreal. I am quite intrigued by the left side and I hope you will explore that aspect in the future.

Inward Arts
07-23-2013, 03:08 PM
~Jon: Hmmm. Very intriguing thought. There is something kind of eery about it, like a mystery. I like that part of it. Being so new, your suggestion of surreal is a path i could explore. Never considered myself in that arena but oH WhaT fUn this ExPloRatOrY stage of art making this is! i feel like a kid in a candy store, and surely, one or two types of 'candy' will make sense the more I hang out there.
Thanks.