PDA

View Full Version : Jerry's Artarama - order issues

LunarMoth
07-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Okay, so I recently spent $56 at Jerry's Atarama which was supposed to quaulify me for a free brush because I bought over $19 dollars of art supplies. But when I made my purchase the brush never showed up on my invoice, I aksed the girl at the time about this and she said that it would appear on my final invoice. Well a few day's went by and my order was shipped out and I recieved the final invoice, but no free brush showed on it. So I waited to see if it was in my package when it arrived, but just as I had suspected no brush was there. So I contacted the girl again and told her about it and she said she would send one out to me but "it would take a few day's." Well I waited a week and when it didn't come I contacted her again, and to my surprise she acted like the computor showed that I had never had any conversation with anyone at Jerry's about such a free brush and that I should have contacted someone at the time about it. And that since I did not receive it, I must not have quaulified for it. After I told her that I had talked to someone at the time about the brush and that I remember her being the one, and that I had qualified for the brush, she finnally agreed to send one back out to me, but get this that "it would take a few day's time."
So now I'm back to wondering if I'll ever get it and whether Jerry's Artarama is false advertising now. If they don't want to have give away's then they shouldn't offer them. Needless to say the whole deal reallly upset me and left me feeling like I should take my business elsewhere, because she pretty much tried to call me a liar. If I can spend $56 on art supplies, why would I need to lie about a free value brush?:confused: There's no point in it. And I checked the brush isn't out of stock. So I should have received one, since it is while supplies last. I even went back and reread the advertisment for it and I quaulify to receive one.
So I was just wondering if any of you on WC have had any expieriences like this happen to you while buying from Jerry's Artarama?

Yorky
07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Poor, poor service. You have every right to be annoyed.

Doug

oCDs01-711
07-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Once I had a similar experience and I called. I experienced pretty much the same as you that I had not qualified,:( if I'm remembering correctly. Then recently I had another experience which turned out to be satisfactory.:) So for me, it's 50-50!

It seems that it would be in their best interest to just send one if you took the time to contact them!:D I hope you receive one soon!:thumbsup:

Shirley:wave:

WthrLady
07-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Get this, "while supplies last" doesn't mean "they still have them in stock"
it can, and most times does mean " we have a set quantity set aside for this promotion, and when THOSE have been given out, then we don't have to honour any more orders"

They do NOT have to state how many are set aside, NOR does it have to be more than ONE to have the promotion. I was burned by that one at another retailer. The promo was still running all over the internet, and I had JUST received it in my email as well.

Slimey practice.

artdragon86
07-20-2013, 10:05 PM
My experience wasn't a misssing freebie one but a defective item one. It was also a bit odd because I'd ordered from ASW but when the box arrived, it had Jerry's Artarama postal sticker on it. Of course, when one of my items was defective (a Cretacolor AquaStic, which instead of being a nice oil pastelly texture, resembled play-dough stuffed into a paper wrapper), I emailed both companies (well, fronts; we all know they are the same company) asking for a replacement and never got replies from either :(

Undergoose
07-21-2013, 01:45 AM
I've ordered quite a few times from Jerry's in the last several months, and I'm a HUGE hunter of free stuff. It has been VERY seldom that I've actually received the items promised by their promos, and have had to call them back multiple times to get fulfillment.

They've had several things listed on their site that their CSR's have told me were expired (like, months prior). I told them to go ahead and send me a return label, because the only reason I purchased the items was to get the neat freebie. Magically, they suddenly were able to come up with the expired items.

Overall, I get the feeling that one of two things is happening:

A) They're purposely NOT sending the freebies in hopes they'll save a little money because only 50% of us will probably go to the trouble of actually calling them about the problem, or:

B) They've got such a screwed up website to shipping process that all of these things are consistently being bypassed or missed.

Both options are unacceptable, which is why I've gone back to dickblick.com for my day-to-day orders of everything except paper. Blick's warehouse monkeys have bungled and damaged so many of my paper orders that I'm just done with even trying to call them back about it.

I had some really terrible paper shipped to me when I was still in PA, so I had them send the replacements to my mom's in WA, and when I opened them after arriving, the replacements were even worse than the originals. Absolutely unusable. I'll take some pics when I get settled in, you won't believe how bad it is. I'm done.

But back to Jerry's, there are enough questionable things happening that I'm not ordering from them anymore. I'm still due a bunch of freebies, but I'm tired of dealing with their substandard service. Lesson learned, and it's a shame, because they're very close to being a decent source of supplies. Maybe they'll eventually get the hang of it.

I also got the same feeling from their customer service rep, and it left me feeling like I was standing there with my hat in hand at the principal's desk. It's nice to know I'm not the only one getting that vibe from them.

Undergoose
07-21-2013, 01:53 AM
Get this, "while supplies last" doesn't mean "they still have them in stock"
it can, and most times does mean " we have a set quantity set aside for this promotion, and when THOSE have been given out, then we don't have to honour any more orders"

They do NOT have to state how many are set aside, NOR does it have to be more than ONE to have the promotion. I was burned by that one at another retailer. The promo was still running all over the internet, and I had JUST received it in my email as well.

Slimey practice.

That's a great point, and VERY slimy. They've also got a disclaimer on their promos/freebie page that says, "one promo item per order", or something close to that. Makes it pretty worthless to spend much time on that page.

As far as running out of freebies, as a long time web developer, I can tell you that it's a VERY simple thing to pop a 'sold out' image on the freebies, just like DB does on theirs. Either Jerry's has very low-level web programmers/designers or they're playing in the shade and picking cherries out of the pie.

Hopefully they'll eventually have someone reading feedback on sites like ours and see how they're doing themselves all kinds of dirty by being so sketchy. :/

Saint Ragdoll
07-21-2013, 02:31 AM
Karl,
You should call/email them one more time.....and tell them that you have voiced your complaints to your fellow artists on the Wet Canvas site....mentioning how many users Wet Canvas has......see if that makes a difference. Someone was saying they had done some lightfastness tests on a particular brand of watercolor and posted the results on their blog and on WC, they got emails from the company that made/sold the watercolor paints.
The power of social media and the internet may make a difference where one lone artist complaining hasnt.......
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

artdragon86
07-21-2013, 06:21 AM
That's a great point, and VERY slimy. They've also got a disclaimer on their promos/freebie page that says, "one promo item per order", or something close to that. Makes it pretty worthless to spend much time on that page.
One other thing I just remembered, though this was a case of a mistake on their part working out in my favour, was there was a promo a while ago where if you bought five tubes (80ml) of Atelier acrylic, you'd get a free 250ml jar of Titanium White. I bought six or seven tubes, and somehow ended up with TWO free jars. I don't know if it was meant to be only one free jar per order or if you got a free jar with every five tubes, but either way, I ended up with one more jar than I was technically entitled to. I was pretty chuffed since I seem to go through white like it's going out of fashion. I have always got the freebies I've been entitled to, so it's surprising that a lot of people have missed out (then again I've probably only ever had 4-5 orders through Jerry's, so maybe the odds were in my favour). However, in that same order, one of my tubes arrived damaged (it had burst open and got ultramarine blue acrylic all over everything else in that bundle). I contacted a Jerry's rep and they said they'd refund the cost of that tube to my card, but the refund never showed up in my account.

artsy_lissa
07-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Iíve not ordered from them a ton; but fortunately not experienced the freebees problem.

The thing thatís personally turning me off lately is the (*) fine print on Ďcouponsí that sale items arenít included... While I can understand that instinctively, Iím finding that nearly everything is tagged as on sale. So, in short, I canít really find anything of interest where a coupon will workÖ Perhaps Iím remembering incorrectly, but I donít recall it being like that in the past. ~Lissa

LunarMoth
07-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone, it's both good and bad to know I'm not the only one having these kinds of issues with them. I'll let ya'll know if they follow through and send me the brush, but at the moment I'm not holding my breath.
Teresa, if they don't send me the brush then I will try to talk with the other live chat person about it and if that don't get me anywhere then I will leave them an email stating how unhappy I am about the whole ordeal. :mad: Then I will go and leave a product review for the brush, stating how I was treated and that I never recieved the false advertised item and that I intend to take my business elsewhere, and that I will pass on the word to all my artist frinds on WC.
I can't believe they're treating their valuable customers like this, it just goes to show that the customer is no longer right. :( I mean what's the point of it? :confused: To loose their business, cause that's what they are doing to themselves.
:( I really hate it all though, because I think Jerry's has a good stock of art supplies, there are things they have that I can't get from Cheap Joe's or Blick. But if they are going to treat me like a liar or a thief, why would I want to buy anything from them?:confused: :confused: :confused: I just don't understand their method of business?:confused:

By the way, when I said I checked to see if the brush was in stock, I didn't mean on the advertisment. I went to the part of the site where the brush is sold and looked to see if it said in stock or backorder, that particular brush which is being offered was in stock. I would have felt better though if the live chat girl had just said "sorry we no longer have any to give out." But no she tried to call me a liar instead and act like I was trying to rip them off or something. And when I told her that I had already talked with her about this, she then tried to say that I must have talked with the other live chat person who must have been logged in under her name. :eek:
It was her though, I remember, she even used the same words when I finally got her to agrea to send me the brush, "it will take a few day's." In other words, she hopes I forget in that "few day's" time.
My mom said there is no way the other chat person would log in under the other girl's profile, because they would probaly loose that day's pay to her. Besides, when I log into WC I have to use a password and username that only I know, so how is it possible that the other chat person was logged in under the other girl's name? What does the live chat at Jerry's do? Hac each others systems? Doesn't make any since to me.:confused:

M.L. Schaefer
07-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Brigette, I always e-mail customer service, that way I have a record! In fact, if the brush doesn't arrive, send an email with the order number, saying that it was promised.

At one time, I had a terrible time with Jerry's, since the, better, but, then again, I now only email them! It's easier for me (talking is difficult) and add the poor response from telephone calls...which I was doing, phoning them, well, need I say more?

I had to buy some paper and got a few more paints...and I received the free brush. I will use it for acrylics...very long, but not full bellied, but is a lot better than many synthetics sold today (it's the Creative Mark brush called Mimik...a No. 6 Round). It has a very sharp point, but I prefer a softer brush with a sharp point for my watercolor. Not bad at all, though. Hope you get it!

:heart: Margarete

indianagreg
07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Brigette, here's what you do. Call or email :

Principal: Mr. Ira Goldstein (President)

OR...

Customer Contact: Mr. Steven Gilmore (VP of Customer Service)

According to the BBB Mr. Goldstein's email is ira(at)jerrysartarama.com I think my contact was with Gilmore, but I can't find his email address (you could probably guess it though if Goldstein's is so obvious).

Be polite but don't hold back on what your problem is and how you are disappointed with what you've received versus what you were promised. The guys at the top will generally help.

I had a problem and the customer service rep was quite rude to me after about the third attempt to get them to ship my product. I eventually tracked down these guys and they apologized and I got my product soon thereafter.

I've only used them once since. BTW as I understand it (or at least I did then, things may have changed) they are related to ASW Express.

Good luck.

Greg

LunarMoth
07-23-2013, 10:59 AM
What do you know! :eek: I just recived an order conformation in my emailbox saying that the free mimic brush has been shipped out to me. Jerry's came through after all or maybe they caught wind of this thread on WC?:D
Thanks everyone for all your encouragment and help, at least I know there is one place I can go to where I can find friendly assistence and help.:)

Doris345
07-23-2013, 09:31 PM
I suspect they saw this thread. Good for us!!

Doris

p.s. I have actually said, in a similar situation, "since all calls are recorded, why dont we have your boss go back and listen to the first conversation." Worked like a charm.

Saint Ragdoll
07-24-2013, 02:21 AM
The power of social media and the internet!!!!!

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

LunarMoth
07-26-2013, 02:38 PM
:) Well I finally recieved the free Mimic brush today, and I'm very pleased with it, it seems to be a very good brush. So Jerry's came through after all. :D

Undergoose
08-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Update! Shock of the century, I know, but I received another order from Jerry's Artarama today that was mysteriously missing the free Mimik brush.

Since it was a fresh subject for us recently, I made extra effort to check that the 'Free Brush' was still being offered when I made the order.

After I opened the box and found that the brush was (of course) missing, I went back to the website to double-check the free offer. Low and behold, SOMEONE over there finally learned how to put a 'sold out' graphic on the web images!

Unfortunately, they didn't put 'Sold Out' on there until AFTER I placed my order. Also, on checking the stock of the #6 Mimik, it's still available to order, but apparently the 'free promo' item must be a completely different brush. Pfft. :rolleyes: Caryl's assessment and prediction of their shadiness was spot-on, wasn't it?

I love how terrible they are at being crooked, yet they still persist at it. It's like ordering from someone who made the Darwin Awards.

A few days ago, I was verifying a couple of the orders that my mom placed (at my recommendation) for the BOGO Rhapsody brushes. Her brush order was very similar to mine, so I knew to check and see if they had screwed her order up they way they did mine. They sure did.

We both ordered a range of brushes from size 2 to 7, and due to a mistake in their inventory, we were both sent 2 size 2/0's instead of size 2's. I verified my order when I got it out in PA and had them refund mine since they weren't going to be in-stock for a couple of months. Mom hadn't even really looked at her shipment, waiting instead for me to get here and get the studio stocked and set up.

When I called in, I got that same snitty little customer service guy that gets my hackles up every time. His response, after verifying the error and letting me know that they'll go ahead send the replacements (like it was a choice he was making on my behalf) was "you might want to have her let us know sooner", like it was my mom's fault that they can't manage their inventory better. Not, "Sorry about that! we'll ship it right out, thanks for your continued business!", like you'd expect, but that same attitude like it was US that did something wrong.

I've had it with that guy, so I replied with, "Make sure you keep your website correct so we don't keep having our orders screwed up.". What's the point of letting them know sooner when I know that they don't have the correct item in stock to fix the issue? Back when I had my order corrected for this, they had other people calling prior to me with the same issue. They KNEW that they had the brushes mixed up in the database.

They knew that they'd sent out the wrong brushes to anyone ordering a number 2 Rhapsody. All it takes is a search for 'find all customers that ordered a number 2 Rhapsody between date X and Y', then preempt any customer service calls by fixing their error without having to be asked. THAT would be good customer service.

I hate how good they are at being incompetent. Needless to say, after 9 fairly sizable orders in 2 1/2 months, I'm done with Jerry's Artarama, and will recommend shunning them to anyone that asks. With this latest order, I went ahead and ordered a couple dozen tubes of Turner WC to do a review, but since they're a Jerry's exclusive, I'm not going to bother. I'll just use them up (if they're any good) and be done. Once I work through the lot of Lukas paints I have, I'm done with those as well. They're decent paints, but Da Vinci is better, so there's no reason to go through any more ordering tribulations. Their website churns abysmally slow most of the time anyways, which is kind of a pain. *add to cart... ... go make a post on WC .... verify cart .... ...back to paint page ... add another tube to cart ... ... ... go make coffee ... ... verify cart ....*

I've been wanting to try some American Journey and Kilamanjaro, so I think I'll move some of my continued business over to Cheap Joe's and see how they score. I might even head across the water and pay a visit to Daniel Smith in Seattle (right after I bury my credit card in the back yard :p). You guys have had me chomping to try some DS paint, but thus far I've been able to resist. lol

Below, I pasted in the email (following Theresa's great recommendation to get all interaction documented) that I sent in reply to my order confirmation in effort to make sure the brush got included RIGHT AFTER I placed the latest order.

Bad form, Peter...bad form.

=====================================================================================

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Jerrys Customer Service <[email protected]> wrote:
Greetings Karl,

I checked your order. The free brush was added to your order. I hope this information is helpful, and that you have a great day!

Sincerely,
Mary
Toll Free::1-800-827-8478
Local:: 919-878-6782
Fax:: 919-873-9565
Email:: [email protected]

Corporate Offices
6104 Maddry Oaks Court, Suite B
Raleigh, NC 27616

Return's Department
101 Peter Gill Road
Henderson, NC 27536

This email contains sensitive information. Please be aware that any transmission of any of the information to any party for any reason without the expressed written consent of this sender is unauthorized and an infringement on their rights to privacy both individually and corporately. Jerry's Artarama and its sender can and will prosecute to safeguard their patents, trade names and know-how, as well as, their intimate relations with managers and vendors. All confidential information that this email may contain is solely intended for the addressed name recipients and for them only. If you should questions regarding this policy or the content of the message above please contact our corporate offices at 001-919-878-6782.

Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:16 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Order Receipt: 2650897J

Thanks for the reply. Please insure that the free number 6 Mimik brush is included in the box (freebie for $19.00 of art supplies). It keeps getting missed on my orders.

Thanks!

Karl

=====================================================================

M.L. Schaefer
08-06-2013, 09:32 PM
My 2 cents worth. Jerry's has the best prices for paints, its where I buy my Old Holland...I LOVE the new Turners...and I have my can't do without Lukas paints. Its not a good feeling to be promised something, and that promise is not fulfilled, but I sure wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face just because I didn't receive a free gift. :)

:heart: M.

Undergoose
08-06-2013, 10:00 PM
My 2 cents worth. Jerry's has the best prices for paints, its where I buy my Old Holland...I LOVE the new Turners...and I have my can't do without Lukas paints. Its not a good feeling to be promised something, and that promise is not fulfilled, but I sure wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face just because I didn't receive a free gift. :)

:heart: M.

For me it's been a consistent run of quality control issues more than not receiving the free gifts, and the substandard customer service following those issues. Their paper handlers do a great job, but I've gotten some bunky 'factory' sealed stuff from their distrubutor.

As for price, as near as I can tell, they price their stuff at whatever DB does, most of the time to the penny. Even their sales use the same numbers consistently for % off and free shipping thresholds. There are a few things that they carry that I can't find on DB, but, as such, I've mostly already purchased those things that I wanted.

There are a couple of Lukas colors that I like a lot, but I can get them in different brands, too. I've been using Lukas pyrrole rubine as my primary red, but Holbein's is better, although more expensive. Price/ml differences between Lukas and Da Vinci is negligible. Several of Lukas' earth colors are lacking in comparison, as well. I DO like those stubby little tubes, though :p

As we speak, I'm squeezing the Turner's into my palette, and my oh my, they do look juicy, have that great Japanese consistency, and I got them really cheap, mostly in the neighborhood of $4-5/15 ml tube. I'll be curious to see how they cure and rewet.

While I don't trust Dick Blick's paper handlers to know paper packing from flipping burgers, their customer service has been consistently stellar and their handling of all things that aren't paper has been great (pretty hard to put a smudge on a tube of paint or brush handle), which is why they've gotten and retained the majority of my supply business.

Dick Blick is a much better nose, so I won't miss the other one much. :lol: