PDA

View Full Version : Set color replacement help!

MicahP
07-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Ooftah.

It's been a long while since I posted anything. (College registration and other terrible things). Anyways, I managed to garner a lot of interest from people I know after giving away several portraits and so possible business/commission opportunities are opening up. Who knew? Five months ago, I just thought watercolours looked 'cool.'

Anyways, I decided to move a step up and so I've purchased a WN AWC Heavyweight Enameled 24 half-pan box set from KenBromley. My big question is color replacement. I've spent forever studying and experimenting with Handprint, but I'm still a bit unsure.

Are Scarlet Lake and Permanent Rose worth keeping? If not, what should I replace them with.

And (forgive the heresy) I've already got reg Alizarin Crimson to replace the permAZC. Only for personal sketching of course. :angel:

Superturtle
07-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Permanent rose is definitely worth keeping! It's a beautiful primary cool red. Scarlet lake's napthol red, which is a nice warm and pretty permanent red. I don't think you need to replace either.

MicahP
07-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks! Handprint has Napthol listed w/ caution (recommends pyrrohl which is included), and so would it be worth it to replace it with Quin Magenta?

painterbear
07-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Micah,
Have you checked out the Watercolor Handbook here? There are sections on the materials we use in our paintings: paints, paper, brushes, etc. You might find lots of info there.

As far as lightfastness tests, check the sticky at the top of The Learning Zone on current lightfastness tests our members are running. Can't get more up to date than that info. ;)

Sylvia

M.L. Schaefer
07-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Hello, Micah! In addition to WC's lightfast testing thread, you may want to look at http://www.artiscreation.com/Color%20of%20Art.html which has good information on color lightfastness. The very first thing I would recommend is learning what pigment comprises the color, and then go from there.

Permanent Rose (PV19), a lovely cool color, is a staple on my palette, except that I use D/V Red Rose Deep (also PV19) as my preferred rose color. Keep the Rose! For a warm color compliment to the rose, try to choose one that has the same vibrancy as the rose....

:heart: Margarete

MicahP
07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Hey thanks for all the advice! I got the set yesterday, and I've been making color charts and experimenting, and I actually ended up liking scarlet lake and perm rose. I'm truly annoyed with the greens included though. Sap green for green gold you think?

Quinacridone Gold
07-24-2013, 03:14 AM
I don't know what you are painting, but if you want convenient greens there are some lovely ones around that are really useful. The ones in sets are usually only suitable for english country scenes!

For example, D.S. Undersea (Quinacridone Gold + Ultramarine) is a great olive green. It is easily mixed but I find I mix it so often and use it so dark that it is worth having.

D.S and D.V both make very nice sap greens. D.S is quin gold + phthalo green, D.V is transparent yellow oxide I think, with Phthalo green - both easily mixed again. So you could buy the mixture or use tubes of the basic colours and mix them yourself to your own preferences.

Other interesting convenience greens are Phthalo Green for mixing - with a warm yellow or earth yellow for a sap, as mentioned, but also with a crimson to make it a deeper perylene green or even black. It's great for mossy greens with Quin Burnt orange (or W&N Burnt Sienna) too.

If you don't like phthalo green ( and it is a very powerful and 'unnatural' looking colour), Viridian PG18 is similar but with granulation but don't get D.S in that - W&N or D.V are fine but DS is horrid.

Then there are the primateks - I love Green Apatite Genuine - a grassy green in a wash through to a wonderful olive green with loads of granulation. And Jadeite is a lovely granulating alternative the Phthalo green that is also very deep in Mass tone.

Perylene green is another nice option unless you won't use a black pigment.

For my students I give them 4 greens as well as teaching them how to mix their own from blues and yellows - undersea green, phthalo green, Sap green and perylene green, in a 20 colour palette. If you do botanicals you may also like green gold but it's light and easy to mix.

You can see all those colours and more on the 'try it dots' thread.

happy painting.

M.L. Schaefer
07-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Absolutely! Green Gold. One can mix their own Sap Green, but there is nothing like Green Gold. If you want to try it, buy a tube of Turner's Green Gold, which looks to my eye, exactly the same as Old Holland Green Gold! (The only difference: O/H lasts longer - but Turner doesn't lighten as much).

:heart: Margarete