PDA

View Full Version : The Mad Scientist...

alangraham
07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
5in x 7in acrylics (fluid golden brand) with india inks. This one took bit being so small. Also, I'll still need to go back and add some more white on the jacket. Helluva time covering everything up.

There's quite a bit of meaning here, and I feel it's obvious if you are familiar with colors, their meanings, etc. If not, do a google search on pink and black. As for the mad scientist, again, I feel his placement is more symbolic as it represents a bit of us deep inside.

Had fun with this, glad I tried pink and black, and the Golden fluid acrylics are pretty cool stuff!

Gigalot
07-18-2013, 02:50 AM
I love this painting! Autopsist!

birdhs
07-18-2013, 08:37 AM
These are so vibrant and original!

Made me smile, but it has more meaning than just the visual

thanx4sharing

greggo

Sonata_In_Pink
07-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for prompting me to look up the meanings of pink and black.
It really adds depth to this piece, and opened up my mind for sure.
Really good work, thanks for sharing.

alangraham
07-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks so much Gigalot, Greggo, and Sonata :). Awesome.

Greggo-- yeah, I wasn't planning on it having a 'deep meaning' but once I began fooling around with colors and thinking, it turned into that.

Sonata-- I'm not a huge fan of pink like this, but it went well with the black, plus the meaning of the two is really spot on.

AddiesArt
07-18-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm not afraid of this mad scientist! HeHeHoHoHaHa!:evil: This is fabulous and love the white streak in his hair!

birdhs
07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I Looked up "pink and black" on bing, found a lot of unknown connections to disparate subjects.. So now I am more confused than before......

but it does not diminish my appreciation of the artwork

greggo

Jon
07-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Does the pink and black have to do with donor awareness?
Brave to have that large white space at center and you make it work, Cory.
I like the tag line on your site: For the Mad Scientist in Us all! :)

jimwhalen
07-18-2013, 04:26 PM
The piece is very well done Cory. I'm impressed how you made all that white in the center of the piece work. However, I am not sure which meaning of pink and black applies here, since my search turned up several meanings.

alangraham
07-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks Addies, Greggo (again :)), Jon, and Jim!

Addies-- be afraid, bawhahahahaha.

haha, sorry to be confusing guys. To me the pink would represent loving and innocence while the black would be more morbid, dark, death, etc. My point is that we all have the 'mad scientist' in us, but will we use to for evil or good? Like, will we do what we can to save the world, or do what we can to destroy the world.

I know, I know, a bit of a stretch but that's what was in my head at the time. Thanks.

Katie Black
07-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Cory..Very good, I really like it a lot!

abstractca
07-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Great picture. ..I like how you choose the color placement. .you have a good good eye for that!

andrewss
07-20-2013, 03:58 AM
cool!

alangraham
07-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Katie-- Thanks so much for checking them out :)

Abstracta-- Thanks. Really glad you all like the white placement. Wasn't sure it would work, but it did :).

Andrewss-- Thanks :)

blackcatbattery
07-20-2013, 06:04 PM
I want the tee shirt when you make some! I would have loved to do a screenprint of this back in the day.I've never been good at anything remotely "graphic"... I'm just too sloppy. Good job with the color- I think the pink and black are perfectly placed and in the perfect ratio to one another. They balance very well. Have you taken composition courses? I have always had a sort of feel for it ( as far as balancing and tension), but was wondering if you KNEW you were using a smaller black because it is so strong it takes a smaller mass to balance the pink or was it instinctual? Or perhaps symbolic?

alangraham
07-21-2013, 09:11 AM
I want the tee shirt when you make some! I would have loved to do a screenprint of this back in the day.I've never been good at anything remotely "graphic"... I'm just too sloppy. Good job with the color- I think the pink and black are perfectly placed and in the perfect ratio to one another. They balance very well. Have you taken composition courses? I have always had a sort of feel for it ( as far as balancing and tension), but was wondering if you KNEW you were using a smaller black because it is so strong it takes a smaller mass to balance the pink or was it instinctual? Or perhaps symbolic?

Patrick, this would be a fun t-shirt, huh? I'm pretty sloppy as well, but REALLY have to be careful with the dip pen and ink when I outline. It's a good lesson to be patient. That said, I have messed up a few pieces over the last week... Damn ink...

No composition courses, just self-taught. The black would have been way to heavy and dark if I had extended it more. Plus, I think the pink needs to be more to balance out the black. As for symbolic... not sure...

trufflecat
07-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Very skillfully done, Cory. One of those pieces that seems fraught with meaning but I'm not sure what it is. I'm glad you cleared up the pink and black meaning for us. Thanks for posting.

alangraham
07-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Susan :)

davefriend
07-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Like this a lot Cory. Does your color choice infer that there are issues that are confusing the Mad Scientist and creating to some degree his madness? Very captivating image and a great 50's vibe too.

I note the horizontal line is maintained by changing dramatically the color. I am wondering what the effect would have been to do the lower part of the white 'bib' as pink?

Another very well done painting. :thumbsup::thumbsup: