PDA

View Full Version : "Aether" 30X40 Acrylic (using "interference blue" paint

blackcatbattery
07-17-2013, 01:39 AM
This is an one of my less thought out pieces where I was so intent on getting the message across that I let the composition take a backseat. Not a good idea, but sometimes I get stubborn. I just needed to get this image out. This is my style when I'm in a more "art as therapy" mode-- my default state until the last few paintings. However, people seem to gravitate to it at showings. Maybe it has something that makes up for it's shortcomings as a "well done" painting. C& C welcomed.
Thanks
Patrick

alangraham
07-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Enjoying your style and work a ton. Would love to view these up close :).

This is dark, moving, and emotional. I can see why folks are drawn to it. Nice.

birdhs
07-17-2013, 09:25 AM
I am immediately drawn in as well.
Not able to give any reason, but it just made me think WOW

Thanx4sharing this with us

greggo

blackcatbattery
07-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Gracias. I'm always torn between just "going at it" and slinging paint and planning out a piece a bit. Guess that (and my ADD) is why I usually have at least 3 or 4 paintings going-- so I can do both.
I am trying to sell some pieces (so I can continue to paint) so I am going smaller on some soon. I'm struggling to translate my work into a smaller scale. Any suggestions?

blackcatbattery
07-17-2013, 09:48 AM
The main reason for the smaller size is so I can only spend a few days and less paint therefore I can sell them at a lower price. Seems people just don't know what to do with a large painting.

alangraham
07-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Patrick, I went from small (5x7 to 16x20) to large (24x30 to 30x48) in a year. I just worked my way up. After months of painting on a large scale, I had to slow down and go back to painting smaller pieces, usually on watercolor paper to save money.

My first few pieces were odd to do since they were so small, but once again found a good flow and comfort zone. Just try a few practice ones, or ones where you don't really care. Ease yourself in :).

IMO, of course :)

blackcatbattery
07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm also witching to oils for a while at the same time, so I have 2 issues I guess. It's getting easier though. It seems one way to keep the sweeping curves I'm used to from my larger pieces in the smaller paintings is to make sure I lock my wrist and keep the brush in the same underhanded grip I use normally--between my thumb and forefinger--- and avoid going into "pencil sketching" mode. I was unaware I was doing it and it made everything sort of disconnected, if you know what I mean. No flow from one area to the next.

birdhs
07-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Overprice the big paintings, it will make the smaller ones seem like a bargain...

just kidding...maybe?

HenrietteW
07-17-2013, 03:21 PM
My first impression is: Marc Chagall meets Manga ... with a really interesting effect - very unique. :)

saje
07-17-2013, 05:11 PM
like this as your other stuff posted, stay emotive 'cause it is most expressive

andrewss
07-20-2013, 03:54 AM
cool piece!

mynameiszero
07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't see a problem with the composition. I like this piece. Simple primary colors were a good choice!