PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Wednesday 17th July 2013**

shipbroker
07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Good Morning World.

Another restless night. Today Market early doors then waiit for carrier to collect the damaged caravan hitch which will be going to Germany fir testing.....thereafter visit Teesside to see a neice of Eileen and her baby who are here from Switzerland.

Have a nice day you all......

geoff

villagernb
07-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Good morning, Geoff.

Just read on CBC's website that Canadian artist Alex Colville passed away on Tuesday at his home in Wolfville, NS. He was 92.

Paint on!

See you all after sunrise.

Anne

NancyR
07-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Good Morning Geoff and Good Evening Anne, our temperatures are still in the low 80s. Another thunderstorm is heading this way in about a half hour. We are so enjoying the cooler weather and the unexpected rain. Finally went to the optician this afternoon and ordered my new eyeglasses tonight.

Going to get off the computer before the rain starts.

JudyL
07-17-2013, 02:17 AM
A long day my itchy chest seems a lot better, but I really missed my Savlon!

Yorky
07-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Good morning all. Not a cloud in the sky, going to be hot again:eek:

Sorry you had another disturbed night Geoff.

Today is Probus lunch, so I'll be enjoying it with friends.

Hi Ann, hi Judy:wave:

Doug

Lulu
07-17-2013, 02:58 AM
Evening everyone:wave:

Back into the swing of things again here.......

Still sorting thru pics, and talking of swing......Kev turned down an invitation to dance with this beautiful lady, said something about his hips not working........:p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/1118-IMG_4283aa.jpg

Yorky
07-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Hi Lulu, I can imagine :lol:

Hi Nancy, somehow I missed you.

Doug

shipbroker
07-17-2013, 03:38 AM
Lulu I didn't know you had a grass skirt........

geoff

doppler
07-17-2013, 03:40 AM
Good evening all.

So cruel Lulu :lol: :lol:

Well. long awaited piccies of our landscaping are here. I must say those guys did more in a day and a half than we would have. We would have tugged a few weeds, looked at the job and gone back up to the house.

Heres a before shot. Arching lantana, ageratum weeds, assorted other devilments and neglected. Hard to believe it was once well tended and neat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/141006-g1.jpg
First the brushcutting, where someone other than us disturbed the jumper ant metropolis which, yes Bill, has been poisoned. They will be back though.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/141006-g2.jpg
Guantanamo Bay is being dismantled now.

Then bring in the heavy diggy stuff ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/141006-g3.jpg

It is a little neater than that by the end of yesterday and post holes are dug now. Auger. Waiting for concrete and posts.

I'm getting excited.

BBL maybe. State of Origin final on tonight. Endless quarrel between Queensland and NSW in a rugby league format for the uninitiated. :wave:

Lulu
07-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Lulu I didn't know you had a grass skirt........

geoff

then you wouldn't have known about the coconut bra either.......:lol:

Wow, Annie!

Here's another view.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/1118-IMG_4257aa.jpg

John couldn't believe his eyes, and Kev tried very hard to look disinterested...:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/1118-IMG_4180aa.jpg

cloudchaser
07-17-2013, 05:41 AM
Good day washers!

Well the heat here continues so have cried off working today, am going Friday instead when temps are lower.
Only worked half a day yesterday but was enough, so uncomfortable in intence heat,felt like a boiled Lobster:eek:

Great photos Lulu and Annie, thanks for sharing.

Hi to Geoff,Anne,NancyR,JudyL,Doug,and all those on their way here, hope you all have a great Wednesday.

Healing thoughts to all those unwell and suffering:heart:

Regards
Tony:wave:

CJMonty
07-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Well, Hello Everyone,
I am actually going to tell you it is sooooo COLD these past few days, today didn't get much above 12C here. Yesterday we had Full On Storms for 24 hours. Our Dining room Window was so very lucky it wasn't broken by the ladder which was lifted and shifted by the Winds, it left a scatch, but can't believe that is all it did. Winds were up at 100km per hour here. Infact the winds were soooo Wild they interfered with our Rainfall metre as at 2300 last night it was registering 180mm. Yes we had aLOT of Torrential Rain all day but that recording is a wee bit over the top I'd say. Currently at 1830 it is reading 8.7mm and it iis raining as we speak.

We were very lucky not to end up with any major damage, the Old dog, Trixie was hit by a flying Esky and Plastic tub, lots of yelping but no damage.
Young William Wagtail hung around for his feeds needless to say. Monty was working yesterday.
I was going to weed today but it was too wet and certainly too cold.

It is crazy isn't it, we had a super dry June, with only 45mm rain in total, our usual Yearly average for June is around 200mm. We are in our 17th year of drought, and yesterdays storms by no means even makes a small dent in it. The Official recorded rainfall for yesterday was apparently only 9mm, not very much by any means.

Our two Passionfruit Vines are grown on a very Heavy Metal Grid Frame which was anchored by 3 Large wooden poles which were around 2 metres into the ground, but as you may know Western Australian soils are made up of 90% Sand, so the Wild Winds worked it very loose. Monty has days off tomorrow, so we are off to find some very Large Star Pickets that can be rammed down deep as well, but hopefully will hold a lot stronger.

I am currently wearing a pair of amazing Hearing Aids which are by far superior to my last ones. They have been loaned to me by the place we ended upgoing to, we were both extremely disappointed and unimpressed by the Service of the first place we went to (which is where I got my first ones 7 years ago) so Monty was well prepared to walk away from the $200 that we had spent in appointments there. The place we are going to now is a bit more of a distance from home but by far waaaaaay better service. My own hearing aids are currently on order, so too are personalised moulds for my ears. These hearing aids are so different to my last ones due to my now Severe to Profound Hearing loss. The reciever is actually right down into my ear canal delivering the sound direct to me via the Behind the Ear Unit which is so small compared to my old ones. These ones are so efficient, I haven't heard speach so crisp and clear in Years. In fact I now have to re-train my brain to block noises that everyone blocks routinely as I am now hearing sounds I don't even recognise.

Well guys, I have rabbited on as I always do, so will say cheerio for now.

Take Care,
Lots of Love Carolynn :heart::heart::heart::):wave::thumbsup::clap::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::heart::heart::heart::):wave:

Scene Chaser
07-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Good Day All,

Geoff, you and I are in the same boat. I'll try for a nap. Enjoy your day.

Nancy, glad it's cooled down for you. It's 74 F here. I'm trying to get as much of the cool air inside before I close the place up.

Been up for a couple of hours. Just reading before a nap. A slice of toast with butter and Marmite will help.

Annie, I can understand why you hired this done. Looking forward to seeing it's completion.

Lulu, so, Kev calls it his hip?
Great photo of the twins.

Doug, enjoy your luncheon. Have you heard from the doc?

Tony, good that you cut the day short. I got about an hour total outside yesterday. I was like a soaked sponge each time I tried to get anything done.

I'll get out there in a minute. We did get a spot of raid last night, which helped.

Hi Carolyn, we crossposted. Good to hear from you. Sorry about your hearing loss, glad there is a solution with hearing aids.
Bill

doppler
07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
JUST WOW!!!

Hiya Carolynn, Bill and Tony"

I am reeling from Dali's ville. Queensland won the State of Origin again. We should have had an other try but when the police chased and tackled a middle aged naked rump into the in goal just as one of our guys scored a a try, and the video ref disallowed it because there as interference ...... Shake your own head.

We won. NSW lost. Naked buttock man ... I just :lol: :lol: He will have to move to Victoria where rugby of any code barely exists. :cool:

olliewood0702
07-17-2013, 08:36 AM
HAPPY HUMP DAY ALL!:wave:

It's another extremely HOT day here. Poor Larry had to go in to work for 3am and works until 3pm. He said it's just un-real in the factory. The company doesn't do anything much for the guys. Their break room is air conditioned but so many times they don't even get their breaks.:confused:

LuLu, those ladies are gorgeous, and I LOVED the pic of Kev and John all engrossed in their dancing.:lol: (or should I say their costumes?):evil:

Annie, wow that will be great when it's all cleared and cleaned up. What a lot of work but the machinery makes it look easy.

Doug, enjoy your Probus lunch today; stay cool.

Geoff, you stay cool too!

CAROLYNN, it was GREAT hearing from you. I'm so glad you are finding that the hearing aid's are working so well for you. How are you enjoying your retirement? Wow it sounds like you had quite a nasty storm.

Hello there Tony!

I went to bed quite early for me last night (around 9:40m) and feel pretty good this morning. I think I must have needed it.;)

We had the girls last night and have them again tonight and tomorrow. Jen is closing three nights this week. I have put some chicken in the crock pot for our dinner; it's nice when it cooks slowly all day; it's usually nice and tender.:thumbsup: Crock pots are the BEST for working women!

I hope you all have the best possible day!

Char, Uschi, Gail......hope you're having a blast.:clap:

JudyL, the last time I tried to lay in the sun, which was a few years ago, I broke out in hives form the sun!:eek: I've never liked tanning and never have much; that sun is powerful hot and it's rays dangerous. I'm glad you found something that worked for your itch.

G'DAY:wave: :heart:

Flattwo
07-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi to all

Warm again here.

A bad day yesterday, the hospice sent Lesley home with an infection in her left foot and lungs resulting in her chemo being delayed until it clears up, she is on strong anti biotics, I am seething! she is distraught and dismayed!

Henry

LynnM
07-17-2013, 09:10 AM
:wave: Another hot one today. I walked to get a prescription last night at 8PM, it was only 32C and felt fairly comfortable....not walking fast, though! And on the trail it is shady all day, so I expect the temp is lower. Having breakfast now and waiting for the pros to come re the ants. Of course, this morning, hardly a sign of them, but I saved a couple so they know what kind they are.

:lol: love the photos, Lulu!

Impressive work, Annie, gosh, what a job, keeping back the jungle. And the rugby.....boy, they need some of that here, and then we might get some scores in our news and even get to see a few games! As it is it goes on mostly below the radar, yet we have some excellent players, they did well at the 7's tournament. However, I'm not volunteering for the job :lol:

Nice to see you in, Carolynn, great that your ears are back!

Just another day and it should be cooler, Darla, but so hard for Larry. They close the mills here when it is like this.

Greetings to all here and all to come, BBL

((((Henry and Lesley)))) so sorry to hear that!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Yorky
07-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Back from lunch.

26C/80F here in the shade - too hot!

The landscaper really have made an impact there Annie!

I don't blame you for taking time off Tony in this heat.

Poor Larry Darla working in that heat.

Wonderful photos Lulu :lol:

Good to hear from you Carolynn, my new igital aids are wonderful, sound like yours.

(((Lesley and Henry))) what an awful thing to happen :mad:

Hope that they rid you of the ants Lynn.

Doug

painterbear
07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Good Morning all,
It is a few minutes before 10:00 a.m. on another blistering HOT day here in Oakwood. Area is under a heat advisory for the rest of the day...that means it is dangerous to spend much time outdoors or in non-air conditioned areas or working in places like Darla's DH does. :(

Poor Larry had to cut his run short this morning. He has done something to the muscle in one of his calfs and doesn't want to do any further damage to it. This will be very frustrating for him to not be able to run for several days in a row. :o

I harvested the garlic I planted last Fall, let it dry for about a week, and braided it this morning. Larry will hang it along the wall in the basement where it can continue to dry and be handy for use. I wound up with 12 heads (even after the blasted squirrels dug up some of the bulbs I had planted....they weren't interested in the garlic, just looking for nuts or something in the area where I had planted it).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/9833-GarlicV2.jpg

Lulu, Great photos (here and on FB)! Love the one of Kev and John watching the dancers. :D That would make a great painting for you to do.

Carolynn, So glad you are enjoying your new hearing aids. Two of the people who sit at my table in art class wear hearing aids. I don't get the impression they work very well from things that they say occasionally. It's good that you are getting the newest technology to help you hear better. :D

Annie, Your little corner of Australia is so verdant and wild looking. That is a HUGE job, glad you decided to let those two guys handle it especially because of the ant nest they uncovered.

Henry, I'm so sorry about this complication that is messing up Leslie's chemotherapy. How terribly frustrating and disappointing this is for both of you. White light heading your way and a big :grouphug: too.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way. I'm off to do my morning PT routine.

SYL,

Sylvia

WthrLady
07-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Passing though this morning.
Cooler today, only making it to 95 degrees :D Sad when you have such a warped sense of "cooler" LOL!

Taking advantage of that and canning 3 gallons of blueberries :D

(((Henry and Leslie)))

UGH Darla, you'd think OSHA would put a stop to that. Working enclosed in that heat is deadly.

Waving to all :D Off to clean jars.

Yorky
07-17-2013, 11:38 AM
95 cooler Caryl :eek:

Did you see the Ted talk on clouds?
(http://www.ted.com/talks/gavin_pretor_pinney_cloudy_with_a_chance_of_joy.html)
Doug

olliewood0702
07-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Doug, Larry says it isn't so much the heat but the humidity, you're wet all the time and he likes to be DRY. He said the sweat just runs off you.

Sylvia, wow...your garlic looks DELICIOUS! They did just great, even with the squirrels. :clap: Poor Larry, I hope his calf muscle heals quickly for him.

Caryl, you'd think; but I doubt that they even know! I'd like to put a little bug in their ear.:evil: Cleaning jars...whatcha canning?

(((HENRY & LESLEY))) that is awful about Lesley's infection and postponing of her chemo. Prayers beaming your way for quick healing of infection so that she can start her treatment.:heart:

Lynn, good for you getting the exterminator in for the ant problem. They can be buggers to get rid of; but they'll know the best treatment for ridding you of them.:crossfingers:

They are saying 93 today but with the heat index 100 or more degrees F! :eek:

Larry picked up his truck from the shop and it's running nicely again.:thumbsup:

Kaitlyn drove all by herself for the first time the other day; she went to pick up her girlfriend for an overnight stay. She said she felt like she was "breaking the law.":lol: And that she got lots of stares; she looks about 12 years old.:D

Larry says we should have fresh cukes by the end of this week and beans too.:clap: I'd better get my canning jars cleaned too.:smug:

WthrLady
07-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Slyvia! Great looking garlic! I had to leave mine behind for someone else to harvest in Alabama.

Doug - yes, that's cooler! I swear I'm the only one out and about during the day here. of course, when we start dipping below 60 this fall, I'll be the one freezing to death.

Darla- Blueberries :D Lots and lots of BLUEBERRIES!

WthrLady
07-17-2013, 11:49 AM
I need to get a firering for the pressure canner. You can't use my pressure canner on the flat top electric stove. Looking forward to putting up tomatoes :D

olliewood0702
07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Oh yum blueberries, Caryl. I've got to do lots of tomato's this year too. Beans are soon to be put up; I can them but like to freeze some too. I'd like to make some different pickles too this year. I wondered about those flat top stoves. Too bad about having to leave your garlic for someone else to enjoy.

JudyL
07-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi, I am so upset, there is a scammer who has my cell phone # and I thought I had it licked by blocking it online, but their back! I googled the number and it's one of those who say "you have won a cruise....." but they really just want the credit card number, I did not answer them (I mean who would, they call every 5 minutes or so. I had a lovely evening without the ringing, but this morning I looked at my cell phone and there they were. At least I changed my ringtone, less annoying.

Rant over, but I will put a curse on them :evil: back hurts think I may forgo the walk today, in a grumpy mood anyway.

TTFN

CharM
07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi Everyone! I can't stay online long, my Son and family will be back from their quick shopping trip to town. The Grand Girls went to a craft class at Michael's so Mom and Dad could do a little shopping.

Uschi, Gail and Dan have all left for home. What a great time we had. The weather improved as soon as Dan and Gail pulled into the driveway with their trailer. And it got hotter and hotter and hotter from there. We had a few threatening clouds move in, but nothing materialized. Ted's 60 1/2 Birthday bash was so much fun. We had about 35 people filling up the back yard. Swimming was great.

It's 36C on the porch. And getting hotter. The flies are biting. We've been swimming once already today but have retreated to the cool of the house for the afternoon.

(((Henry and Lesley)))... words absolutely fail me.

I haven't had a chance to read anything for the past several days and will catch up when the kids head for home... In the meantime, you're all in my thoughts! :heart:

kaypainter
07-17-2013, 12:48 PM
I had a very productive day yesterday. Actually got lots done. Laundry, dishes, marketing, worked on jewelry. So exciting. Today may be different because it's already blisteringly hot. I was going to go to the car wash, but I just can't make those guys work that hard in this heat. I start class tomorrow. Yippee!!

Doug have you seen this Ted talk? Check out her website as well.
http://www.ted.com/talks/camille_seaman_photos_from_a_storm_chaser.html

Darla poor Larry. That's awful. Glad his truck is working again. Had to laugh about Kaitlyn getting stares. My father started driving when he was 12! Here in CA anyone 18 or under cannot drive with teenage passengers without an adult in the car as well.

Caryl I don't know how you could turn on the stove in that kind of weather. I try to avoid it at all costs. Made pasta salad the other week. I was sweating bullets by the time the pasta boiled (7 minutes). :lol:

Annie that is some piece of property! Good thing you got the heavy lifters in. What will you plant there?

Lulu :lol: :lol:

Sylvia your garlic looks great. Another poor Larry. Hope it heals soon.

Henry that is awful. Big :grouphug: :grouphug: for you both.

Judy register your cell phone with the do not call registry and it will stop.

https://www.donotcall.gov

Tony take it easy in the heat.

Carolynn so glad your new hearing aids are so good. It's amazing how technology has made them so much more efficient.

:wave: :wave: to all and HAWLTAIN

Kay

Yorky
07-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the link Kay, I think I may have missed it.

Doug

LynnM
07-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Well, they laid down the special bait, and we will see, but I am encouraged that I fought them to a standstill myself, and the pros just had to finish them off :crossfingers:

Have been painting a frame and varnishing paintings, we have a member's show at the gallery next month and I have a couple of things to put in.

I was in Curry's last week and they were demonstrating using 'soft wax' to finish off gallery wrapped watercolour or acrylics, or board mounted works on paper of any kind. It is actually used for a durable finish on furniture, but it takes a week or more to cure. The nice thing is that you don't need to fix the water based media before you apply it! The wax does not lift the paint, apparently. Worth trying. Curry's carry one type but it was out of stock there, but I see that specialty furniture finishing shops do too, and there are several brands. Too hot take the bus across town but I will when the heat gets more reasonable.

Boy it's hot here too 34C, 43C (109F!) with humidex....my air conditioner is supposed to be more than adequate for the size of my living room, but it is having difficulty getting rid of the moisture. Can't even imagine canning anything in this, Caryl :eek:

Handsome garlic, Sylvia! Too bad about Larry's injury....just a little thing that at our age interferes with maintaining health, happens so easily.

Beautiful pictures on that TedTalk, Kay, thanks for the link. Great that you are getting things done!

That's a nuisance, Judy, I hate those calls. I am on the no call list up here, but there is one company that obviously doesn't know about that, I get 2 calls most afternoons, I hang up at once, but it doesn't seem to discourage them. Otherwise it works and I get no others.

Hi Char! and all I didn't mention :)

WthrLady
07-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Well I DID just turn on the all house fan blower on to push out some of the humidity from me boiling 5 gallons of water! LOL. I'm almost done for the day. I decided to freeze and vacuum seal half and can the other half. Our dewpoint is only 68' even though it is 96 outside, that still feels ok to me.

(I'm used to dewpoints being around 78 this time of year.)

I took some great blueberry macros, thinking of char, and am posting them in the RIL now.

Doris345
07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Just stopping in real quickly to say hello. Office & computer are in an alcove that has no windows, no circulation, and is hotter than h---s. I am avoiding sitting there.

The central air really struggles - by the time it makes it up the 22 floors to my apartment, it is barely cool air, and close to useless. It also simply cannot combat the heat of the sun pounding down on the roof of my top floor apartment (nothing penthouse-y about it in this weather!). The window unit in the bedroom barely manages to deal with that room, so the halls, kitchen and l.r. are left to suffer on their own.

I am ready to do into hiding. So I will see you all when the heat breaks! Love and hugs and white light to all.

Doris

ScarletLake
07-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Hi Everyone

I thought I posted this morning but maybe not. LOL

Henry and Leslie ---Just know that prayers are offered up each day for you both. Hope the infection in the foot clears up.

Doris - I just saw a report that NYC would reach peak capacity on the electricity around Thurs afternoon. Hope you get through it all OK.

Annie - I think I've mentioned your mountain looked/sounded scary to me. LOL Looks like alot of work has been done. If I ever find our camera I will post pictures of the littly visiting kittie. She is a doll. Makes me laugh with all her antics.

Darla - I don't understand how companies can legally operate when workers are in such heat. Makes no sense to me.

Caryl - Son Justin is in his last week of training at Maxwell. That seemed to go fast. He leaves to go back to N. Carolina on Saturday. I'll tell him you were canning bluberries. He sure loved your cookies. My son likes good homemade food.

Well I am able to get around seems like the swelling in heel is way down but still I am not trying to put full weight on it. I don't see Ortho until July 29th. What's really bothering me now is my left ribs/side. I think I've done something there. Taking Aleve. OUCH.

I worked on some small artist cards today until I just had to lay down for a while.

this is great pool weather but I can't manage it. Besides I'd burn to a crisp this week.

Everyone take care

Anita

WthrLady
07-17-2013, 04:16 PM
House smells great.
Warm breezes blowing through... lol.
Fingers and nails look lime I've been fingerpainting with quin violet!

Doris next week will be lovely!
Anita, where did that time go?

shipbroker
07-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Evening all.....still 21C here and sticky........watered the plants but they will have to look after themselves whilst I am away........

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((Henry & Lesley))))))))))))))))))))))))

geoff

JudyL
07-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Hi again, Back better, did go for the walk.

Kay, I did Do Not Call, yesterday morning, which is why I was ticked off, but it has gone way down now, I am sure it's an automatic dialer thing, and may take time, as they are stupid and greedy! Any more calls, I will report them and then put a curse on them, hmmmm what kind of curse.....there was a movie, something about frogs.
(kidding but would if I could makes me feel better just thinking of it)

Lulu
07-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I am on the no call list up here, but there is one company that obviously doesn't know about that, I get 2 calls most afternoons, I hang up at once, but it doesn't seem to discourage them.

You know what I do now with those persistent ones? As soon as they say 'Good afternoon etc' I say ' Please hold the line..' put the phone down (off the cradle) and go about whatever I want to do, and so all they get is background noise of whatever I'm doing until they get sick of waiting and hang up!
My unwanted calls are diminishing.....

(((Henry & Lesley))), I really really feel for you both :heart: and anyone else in need too.

JudyL
07-17-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't answer, it's a cell phone, but just decline the call (with VIGOR!)