PDA

View Full Version : Poppies WIP -- First Watercolor Ever

kanagnostos
07-16-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm brand new to watercolor and working on washes, flat and graded. I decided to take a break from that and follow the directions in a book about painting watercolor flowers (even though I don't have the same colors). Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the result so far. Feel free to comment and critique and offer tips/suggestions, as I'm just learning.

querin
07-16-2013, 08:54 PM
It,s coming along well ,with the pigments just take notice whether it,s cool or warm and match them to what colors you have.
Querin

nes_matt
07-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Very nice! Have you painted or drawn in other mediums? I'm totally new at this too.

webLes
07-16-2013, 09:21 PM
top flower lift some colour out of the centre with a wet brush and dry paper towet drop in some yellow ad darker colour on the petal that has another petal towering over it (ie the lower leaf)continue your stems off the paper . will make it look more finished although I think you i'll be doing more to it most likely. Its a good start .

Cyntada
07-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Looking good! I love the color blends you have on each petal.

Yorky
07-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Try wetting each petal and allow to dry a little before dropping in colour that way you will get smoother blends. Paint alternate petals to avoid blossoms.

Doug

kate252
07-17-2013, 04:00 AM
very good!!! so much better than my first attempts.

kanagnostos
07-19-2013, 05:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the great tips and advice! What a great forum!

Clara McArthur
07-20-2013, 11:54 AM
I love poppies, and this is going to be a lovely painting. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Cinnamon2010
07-25-2013, 03:11 PM
I have the same book! It is very good, it really helps you move from one color to the other nicely...Your poppies are coming along fantastic! I have done these poppies myself and I didn't use the colors they suggested either and it came out quite nice.

painterbear
07-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum. Looks like you are doing very well with your practice of washes.

I see some nice gradation and changes of color in your petals. That's good observation and application of what you saw in your painting. :thumbsup:

Have you gone to The Learning Demos and scrolled down to the Beginner's Corner yet? Lots of interesting demos and exercises you can follow along there.

BEGINNERS' CORNER

A Covered Bridge for Beginners by Dale Zeigler

Edges—Hard, Soft, and Lost by Celeste McCall

Learn to Paint …: by JJ (laudesan)

…Monochrome Color Schemes
…with Primary Colors
…with Complimentary Colors
…with Two Colors
…Watercolor Washes

Painting a Red Object Using Analogous Colors by Celeste McCall

Painting Palm Trees… by Bob(2)

… in an Impressionistic Style
… in a Tropical Setting
… in a Realistic Style
… by Pushing the Colors

Secondhand Chicken WIP-Along by Aunt P (nacre)

Showing White with Primary Colors (Using a TP Roll) by Aunt P

Watercolour Washes Challenge by JJ (laudesan)

The link is at the top of The Learning Zone and in my signature line. Just scroll down through the alphabetically arranged list of threads til you come to the ones above.

Sylvia

pjartwc
07-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Welcome to watercolor and this forum. You seem to be a natural for painting in watercolor. I believe as you paint more, look at what others have done and, see the advice given here, you're only get better. And, you've already got a good jump. The greenery here is an excellent example of good watercolor painting - and the poppies are coming along nicely.