PDA

View Full Version : Question about framing/glazing

AllPointsBulletin
07-16-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm planning on painting something for my mom for her birthday and subsequently framing it. I would like to use anti-reflective glass, but it seems very hard to get. I did find a local wholesaler who sells TruVue by the sheet, but I think I have to have a business account to buy it. I'd like to know, for anyone using AR glass, where do you get yours from? And is it really that necessary? I hardly think my mom will care about reflections, but as I plan on framing more paintings in the future I'd like to use better glass and know where to get it from. However, $6.99 for an 11x14 glass at Michael's is very tempting!

Davkin
07-16-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd be curious to know as well. I've only used regular glass and hate the reflections. I did try some kind of anti-reflective glass I bought at Hobby Lobby once and all it did was make the painting look dull and fuzzy, I prefer the reflections over that! I saw a Colleen Howe painting in person a couple weeks ago and it looked great, no reflections and the pastel was framed against the glass. She happened to be at the gallery that day and the manager got her and asked about the glass and she said it was museum glass. I suppose with a $3500 price tag you can afford to use museum glass. :lol:

David

DAK723
07-16-2013, 09:27 PM
The museum glass is remarkable - it really seems like there is no glass there! It is also very VERY expensive. Regular anti-reflective glass I avoid, as it does (as David mentions) make things look dull -at least the brands I have seen (although I haven't checked in a couple years).

Don

Colorix
07-17-2013, 06:32 AM
The etched glass makes things dull. There are other anti reflective glasses, similar to museum, but less expensive, and not as "invisible". The AR that is cheaper is still *much* better than ordinary float glass. Float usually is slightly green, and it darkens the painting with between one or two value steps. AR is water clear, removes most of the reflexes, and darkens about half a value step. This type of glass is still fairly new, but if it has reached me, I'm pretty sure it has come to the USA. It really makes a difference, and as it is only a couple of dollars more expensive than float glass, well, to me it is a no-brainer, as the paintings look so much better. (Museum glass is for when one is famous, or if one has a neat little fortune already.)

johndill01
07-17-2013, 09:29 AM
For what it's worth, I occasionally use museum glass and have found that, believe it or not, Hobby Lobby has reasonable prices for the glass, compared to prices I have been quoted from framers or glass companies. It is still expensive, but much more affordable and the results are amazing, though still not perfect. I picked up a pastel that had been in a show and while checking the work at home, found a very clear fingerprint in the middle of the painting. It was like someone had touched the glass to see if it was really there.

An example is an 18" x 24" museum glass from local HL is $45.00. Have been quoted prices as high as $125.00 from other sources.

John

AllPointsBulletin
07-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks John, I will check out Hobby Lobby. Am I understanding correctly that if I go to the framer at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, I can get just the glass?? I was under the assumption that they would only offer me a complete frame.

DAK723
07-17-2013, 05:11 PM
I don't have any specific experience with Michaels (except finding out that they are way overpriced - at least the last time I checked, which is many years ago) or with Hobby Lobby, but any professional framing store should give you whatever pieces you want separately. I often buy glass (or acrylic) by itself, but sometimes I buy frames, too, as well as mats, or spacers and hanging hardware - and then put it together myself. Always cheaper that way!

Usually, since I have a mat cutter, I cut the mats myself and I bought a point driver so that I can put the picture, glass, etc. into the frame properly. If you do a lot of framing, I would recommend the point driver. Mats are somewhat out of style in some parts as pastels are being framed without them and using spacers instead, otherwise I would recommend a mat cutter, too.

Of course, it will depend on how often you frame and what types of prices your local framing shops are asking for!

Don

robertsloan2
07-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I can see that having some Econospacers would make it a lot easier and cheaper to frame pastels of any larger size. Mats are great for making small pieces larger or odd shaped ones fit into standard frames. I'm glad Hobby Lobby has the museum glass because when I've got budget again I'd love to get it.

Is that fashion for no-mat something that extends down to the 5 x 7" or 8" x 10" sizes or would it be better to mat those up to 9 x 12" or bigger?

johndill01
07-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Adam, HL will sell you just the glass or mat or spacers, in addition to making a frame (the 50% off deal is good at any time) and frame the painting if you so desire. They want to frame the painting for you (free) if you purchase the frame and/or glass. This includes archival backing, dust cover and wire/hangers. Ready to hang.

John

AllPointsBulletin
07-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Awesome John, thanks for the info!! I'll be heading to HL when I'm ready to frame it!

FoxEnova
07-18-2013, 01:43 PM
See if your local Glass company can quote and order this for you.
SCHOTT MIROGARD (http://www.us.schott.com/architecture/english/products/anti-reflective-
glass/mirogard.html)
and let us know.

Davkin
07-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Is this what everybody is talking about when they say AR glass?

http://www.tru-vue.com/products/ar-reflection-free/

Can you ask for that specifically by brand at Hobby Lobby? When I asked about anti reflective glass all the girl showed me was the etched stuff that's just awful, maybe she didn't know about tru-vue.

David

mudfish
07-18-2013, 08:56 PM
I went to a lot of trouble to get some Tru-Vue, finally scored it from my local framing shop. I've used it in a couple of shows and it cuts but does not eliminate glare. It's also a pain in the tail, you can't handle it w/o gloves b/c it's very hard to clean w/o leaving residue (alcohol works) and as noted above, somebody hanging will always wipe it with glass cleaner and ruin your work, and any finger prints show like crazy. Not worth what you gain IMO. If you do go ahead, check with your local framer - they re-frame all the time and often have pieces of museum glass from old frames that they can sell cheaply if they choose to. Ask. Tru-Vue only sells directly to those sporting a business license.

johndill01
07-18-2013, 11:33 PM
David, what you want is Tru-Vue's museum glass. They have a couple of anti-reflective glasses that are lower quality. All of our local HL's have a display of the museum glass on the framing counter. The other caveat on museum glass is when you clean it is to spray the paper towel with cleaner and then wipe the glass. Also ensuring that the back (side facing the painting) is not touched with bare hands. I have been told that the oils from a fingerprint can damage the coating on the glass. Just do not spray the glass with window cleaner and then wipe. If you request it, the store should cut the glass with the proper labeling for directional placement on one edge of the glass. (for those who are completing the framing themselves.)

John

pastelmimigt
07-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Michael's Masterpiece glass is wonderful, but expensive! Yes, I believe you can buy just the glass. I HIGHLY recommend you buy the glass & frame it yourself. Honestly, I think anyone would be lucky to not get their pastel paintings ruined at the big box framers.

Michele