PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Head study, mixed media

raeburn10025
07-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Here's a WIP, collage and acrylic on canvas board, 11x14 inches. I was trying to introduce some surrealism and abstraction through random magazine cutouts superimposed on a traditional grisaille study from a live model.

Does it work? Should I add or subtract anything? CCs welcome, for this and future MM projects. Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2013/37710-mixedmedia500.jpg

bschart
07-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Your Work is always technically impressive and sensitive. I like it a lot. This piece seems to to suggest advertising art of 50s and 60s. Some of the collage elements reinforce the portrait and some subvert it. I'm not sure what direction you plan to take from here but I can suggest the paintings of Cris Brodahl and Ken Kewley as examples of different directions.

birdhs
07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
This just does not work for me. Not exactly sure why, guess I was looking for a cohesive message, such as what thoughts are inside this gentleman's head.

faces and headlines worked, the pink and wooden looking strips do not.
colors and info do not draw me in.

Composition overall is good, the general idea is great. Nice thing about this type of collage is that you can keep adding to it.

greggo

raeburn10025
07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
bschart - Thank you for your input and also for suggesting the paintings of Cris Brodahl and Ken Kewley. Both are very interesting artists!

greggo - thanks for your valuable feedback on what works and what doesn't :)

Jon
07-16-2013, 01:05 PM
My first thought was of 1950's advertisements. I do not care for the pinkish rectangle on the right side. I think part of my decision of whether I felt it was working would depend on what the lettering says.

raeburn10025
07-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi Jon - I wasn't really thinking about *content* but you're right -- letters and words do have *meaning* in addition to formal qualities. It would probably be too tedious to post closeups of the lettering but they're all from classical music and theater brochures I think.

The pink rectangle was meant to repeat the other rectangular patterns around the head but the color might be throwing everything off balance.

Thanks for the insightful feedback, as always.

davefriend
07-16-2013, 11:07 PM
raeburn your work is amazing!! I was looking at your website and WOW! That was cool to see your work side by side and let it soak in.

I like what you did with this one and how it is looking, what a great vibe it has. :thumbsup:

humanguy
07-16-2013, 11:30 PM
It's well thought out and very well executed, very skillfully executed. As a head study it works, exceeding its purpose actually.

Good work. Hats off.

raeburn10025
07-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Dave - thanks for your feedback and for visiting my website. I've found it useful to see my work in chron order as a record of my stylistic changes. Flickr has also helped me tap into their huge community of artists and follow their current output.

Humanguy - thank you for your comments. Mixed media is new to me - I was trying out some ideas inspired by this blog (http://angrywhistler.tumblr.com/) which specializes in expressionist portraits.

Much appreciated :)

AddiesArt
07-18-2013, 11:07 AM
There's something creepy about him EEK! but what do I know! :cat: I like it but I think I'd change the color in that pink block it's distracting. He has full red lips for a man.

raeburn10025
07-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Hi AddiesArt - Thanks for the feedback. Even though I wasn't aiming for anything sinister, *creepy* isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned - probably due to the discordant elements which I tried to keep within a simple silhouette. The model does have full red lips, due to his youth, I guess. While I like the androgynous quality, you're probably right that there is too much pink :)

I do appreciate your helpful comments.

Katie Black
07-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I do like it very much, not sure about the pink rectangle, but other than that, I think you have done a fine job of this.

raeburn10025
07-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your comments Katie :)

jimwhalen
07-20-2013, 07:26 AM
This is working for me. I especially lie the way you did the set of the eyes. Like many others have said, the pink rectangle is not working. Perhaps there is too much pink overall. A fine piece overall.

raeburn10025
07-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks Jim for your insightful observations. I do appreciate it :)

blackcatbattery
07-20-2013, 08:57 PM
I think it's going well. I like the neck area. I especially like when you continue the curves of you drawing with a matching curve within a cutout. The mouth works, but a good bit of the face itself (esp the right side) loses me. The squares and rectangles dont seem to coincide with any angles on the face, so my eyes get lost. I think it's more obvious if you squint your eyes-- the face should still come through a bit (as the neck and genera; outline does). Anyway these are just my thoughts. I always feel weird saying things to other artists about their work- although I try to say things I would be telling myself if it were my piece. I do like it. :) Keep going!

raeburn10025
07-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi Patrick - I initially attempted a grid format similar to Sergio Albiac's generative video Content Is Queen (http://www.sergioalbiac.com/wall/content-is-queen.html) but then my cutting and pasting skills weren't up to par :)

I've decided to stop working on this since the model (and my teacher) seemed to like it and the image has already been reblogged quite a bit on Tumblr (http://raeburn10025.tumblr.com/post/55618507417/head-study-mixed-media). But I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind for future projects.

Thanks for your comments!

blackcatbattery
07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Ah I see. I was looking at it as a regular collage.That gridding look's rough...Not sure I could do it. Too impatient.

raeburn10025
07-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Here's a creative solution to the grid problem, from Nick Gentry (https://vimeo.com/61918795#at=0), a London artist. :)

Thanks again.