PDA

View Full Version : Major Tom, Rocket Man...

alangraham
07-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Another lil illustration painting. Obviously, or I hope, some will know the two 70s songs I'm referring to in the title :).

about 8in x 10in on paper. The yellow circle/helmet KILLED me. I wish it were a bit more round, but I think it jives. Any thoughts??

Also, the purple is more purple as blue showed up in the piece.

birdhs
07-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Reminds me of posters. I like the irregularity of the yellow, otherwise it might look like a commercial illustration. This has a bit of whimsy to it.

thanx4sharing

greggo

alangraham
07-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks Greggo. Agree about the whimsy :), and that it has a poster feel.

The irregularity of the yellow really pops out in photos-- real life not so much if that makes sense. Still, being the focal point and such a light tone compared to everything else, I am torn if I should attempt to rework it some.... Ugh, my OCD is gonna bug me on this one :).

Jon
07-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Major Tom to ground control?

Has a bit of a feel of a movie poster.
A tricky thing to use binoculars while wearing a helmet. :)

alangraham
07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Major Tom to ground control?

Has a bit of a feel of a movie poster.
A tricky thing to use binoculars while wearing a helmet. :)

Yes, you got it!!!! Awesome Jon :clap:.

Yes, tricky to use the binoculars, but it goes with the whole whimsy feel Greggo said.

raeburn10025
07-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Very charming piece with an interesting but hidden zig-zag pattern.

alangraham
07-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Raeburn :). Hidden zig-zag pattern??

davefriend
07-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Cory I was never a David Bowie fan but I remember the song it was the predecessor of "Houston, we have a problem" :eek:

Now Rocket Man and Elton John were part of my teenage sound track.

I love these retro characters and memories that you have been creating lately. They bring back memories and often give me a chuckle. Not laughing at your work but the memories of those times - most were before my time LOL! :lol:
A tricky thing to use binoculars while wearing a helmet. :)Nothing impossible in art!

alangraham
07-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks Dave :). These paintings are like comfort food for me. C'mon now bowie has some kick butt stuff! Lol

Jon
07-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Yes, you got it!!!! Awesome Jon :clap:.

Yes, tricky to use the binoculars, but it goes with the whole whimsy feel Greggo said.I have a good memory of it in part because I was of the generation incredibly excited about the landing on the moon and how we were all going to be in space! This is the part of the lyric I recall so well, ''The stars look very different today and here I am sitting in a tin can far above the world'' and I thought to myself it was exactly how I would view it if I was sitting in a space ship. Frankly, once seen or heard, it is very difficult to forget David Bowie. :D

Yes, the binoculars and the uniform are incongruous and help the whimsical nature. :thumbsup:

alangraham
07-17-2013, 02:01 PM
I have a good memory of it in part because I was of the generation incredibly excited about the landing on the moon and how we were all going to be in space! This is the part of the lyric I recall so well, ''The stars look very different today and here I am sitting in a tin can far above the world'' and I thought to myself it was exactly how I would view it if I was sitting in a space ship. Frankly, once seen or heard, it is very difficult to forget David Bowie. :D

Yes, the binoculars and the uniform are incongruous and help the whimsical nature. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, Jon. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, space was still 'cool' but I feel it's far less popular in today's world. The generation below me just don't care :(

HenrietteW
07-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Yup, David Bowie AND Moebius come to mind. - And ... steampunk?
Love the combo. Have you done more of this sort? :)

alangraham
07-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Yup, David Bowie AND Moebius come to mind. - And ... steampunk?
Love the combo. Have you done more of this sort? :)

Yes! Please check out website :)

http://corygrahamart.com/

HenrietteW
07-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes! Please check out website :)

http://corygrahamart.com/

Hah! What did I win? ;) LOL, well it wasn't that hard to see. I really like your style.

jimwhalen
07-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm late coming to comment on this - thought I had said something earlier. I have nothing to add that others have not already said. Fun and whimsical piece, indeed!

thevaliantx
07-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks for sharing, Jon. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, space was still 'cool' but I feel it's far less popular in today's world. The generation below me just don't care :(

You can thank the beautiful pictures available for download, the fact that NASA is always, ALWAYS complaining about not having enough funds, and the seeming inability to really look at anything outside this solar system (sorry, "artist's interpretation" doesn't count). Space just isn't as imaginative as it used to be. And, then...you have the popular belief that the government would rather spend its funds on shooting rockets and satellites into space, then to take care of its own people.

Isn't Major Tom an 80's song? 4..3..2..1 :D

alangraham
07-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks Jim and The Valintx :).

Jim-- I always think I comment and then realize I don't, lol

The valiantx-- Major Tom (Space Oddity) is from around '70 I think...

blackcatbattery
07-20-2013, 06:15 PM
I really like the irregularity in the coloring- how you didn't just paint in the entire jacket. Oddly sort of reminds me visually off Matisse cutouts. A more "pop art" version. Definitely a "poster" feel.

alangraham
07-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Patrick :). Yes, very pop art IMHO.

mihaela
07-23-2013, 11:34 PM
I enjoy this illustration very much, the composition is good, the complementaries work very well, it tells a story and puts a smile on the viewer's face. :)