PDA

View Full Version : "The Mark" 36x48

blackcatbattery
07-15-2013, 10:38 PM
This is the 3rd painting of this size I've done since resuming painting last November. I had been away from painting for about 20 years. I prefer painting this size or larger but need to sell some pieces so I am about to do some smaller ones. All my paintings have figures and are rarely planned out--which sometimes results in month long false starts (like the one underneath this one :) ). I welcome any C and C as I'm generally harder on myself than anyone else.
Also, if anyone here uses "modeling paste" for textures I'd love your advice as I have recently switched to Dap drywall paste (with a thick acrylic coat to help it adhere) as Liquitex paste is a bit expensive when working so large. I am not trying to inundate you with images my first time here, but the pictures aren't high quality and detailed closeups seem nessesary to give an idea of the paintings textures. Oh, painting is NOT QUITE done. Close, but needs a little work. Thanks.

alangraham
07-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Wow. I'm really liking this. Looking amazing.

fiddleplayer
07-16-2013, 01:44 AM
I love that face.

birdhs
07-16-2013, 08:12 AM
This is quite intriguing, captures the eye and keeps it moving.

well conceived and painted

thanx4sharing

greggo

Jon
07-16-2013, 12:50 PM
I am very glad you have returned to painting, this is very good. Your brush strokes are energetic and create of flow for the viewer to follow. I think having the secondary figures faceless accentuates the face you have placed in more detail. My only thought surrounds the small yellow line in the center between the faceless figures, it seems not quite right.

I have never thought of using DAP but it is a paintable product so I cannot think of a problem in that regard, but what of your support? How would it affect canvas? You might consider going online and contacting the company for information.

blackcatbattery
07-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. Surprised to get such quick responses. I was pleasantly surprised with the comments on eye flow of the piece. On this particular work I did put a good deal of thought toward it while painting. I started with (as I often do) a scribbling of curves and arcs. I then try to find the figures within them and bring them out. I always try to "bend back" the arc or curve that starts one side and have it switch direction (even if on another figure) to keep your eye from flying off the edges. Good to see it paid off. Also Jon, you picked up on the precise part that is unfinished (along with maybe one more spot)-- the area withing the main arc containing the two figures. The yellow is left from a previous layer.

davefriend
07-16-2013, 10:25 PM
I am liking what I see, interesting composition and a nice bit of tension you are created with the figures. Will be watching how you finish this blackcatbattery. :thumbsup: