PDA

View Full Version : Once on FaceBook, Always on FaceBook, Forever and Forever and...

M.L. Schaefer
07-15-2013, 09:48 PM
My old computer couldn't handle Face Book, and I REALLY did NOT like being on Face Book, so I "closed" my Face Book "account" according to Face Book directions. Ha! Today, Wet Canvas went on the blink for a short while with the message "Can Not Display This Page." At the exact moment I hit the "submit" button on a long and lengthy PM to a friend! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So, I thought, I closed my Face Book account once before, so let me real quick open another account, I can always close it. Ha!

So, I went to open a new account only to find out I HAD an account. So, I went back in to the Security settings, made sure (as well I can make sure....no telling about FB) that my privacy settings were good. And made sure I had no personal info that would be easily accessed. And there I am, forever and forever on Face Book! No escaping those tentacles!

Too many stories about hackers, etc., and I don't want a billion people knowing what I do day-to-day!

Undergoose
07-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm with you. Facebook is of the devil. After setting up an account years ago and getting connected with everyone from my past, I realized that it was wasting a good portion of time for no real reason. I didn't worry about shutting down my account, I just quit using it. That was several computers ago and haven't looked back.

If Facebook was to fall off the planet, we'd see a 20% increase in productivity across the board in the United States. I really LOVED getting update emails letting me know that a friend 2000 miles away that I haven't seen for 25 years was "getting ready to mow the lawn". Pfft.

LynnM
07-15-2013, 10:16 PM
I feel the same too, very frustrating. I joined simply to keep in touch with my grandchildren, and for other family news, but the hassle is almost not worth it. I thought of changing my email, and so not being 'available' by that route, but that is a hassle too!

Dragoon
07-15-2013, 10:34 PM
If you google the term "delete Facebook", you'll read a hundred pages that tell you it is next to impossible to do..:(

Years ago, I visited out of curiosity, and typed my name and email, and then changed my mind. I never made one 'friend' or have visited that site since then. But I still get emails daily begging me to go there, grrr. Why don't they give up?
D.

Lulu
07-15-2013, 10:35 PM
I don't really know what the fuss is about....
It's up to YOU what you put on facebook, it's up to YOU who can see what you post, and it up to YOU whether you get updates of what everyone else on your friends list talks about and it's up to YOU how often you visit!

If WetCanvas was to fall off the planet there'd be more productivity too Karl! :lol:

shipbroker
07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Ah the curse of FB, Bebo,Twitter and the rest!

So pleased that some sanity remains in the World, now if I didn't visit WC, Shipping and Caravan Forums I would have another Two hours every day...

geoff

Undergoose
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM
If WetCanvas was to fall off the planet there'd be more productivity too Karl! :lol:

That very thought went through my head as I was typing. I couldn't come up with anything to refute the idea, so I just ignored it. At least we don't have a bunch of silly apps and games to distract us on here. :p

Even with the weird tangents and such that we get going on, at least WC is focused on art and hanging out with artists, so that's something I guess. There are many more like-minded people here than what I can dig up from my past friends and family. Nothing like hanging out with a bunch of weirdos to make me feel at least passably normal. :angel:

M.L. Schaefer
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM
:lol: :lol: I'm glad not to be alone on this one! Yep, Lulu, productivity would go up for us if weren't on Wet Canvas, but what would we do while waiting for the paint to dry?:lol: :lol: My main concern is the number of hackers out there, just waiting to get any info they can use, or making their through the computer neurons to access whatever they wish to access.

Too many talented minds that should be painting, not mischief making!

:heart: Margarete

Lulu
07-15-2013, 11:25 PM
But Margarete, maybe Wetcanvas isn't safe from hacking either...

I am well aware of the downside of facebook, as anything online, but the benefits outweigh that for our family. We are close-knit, and now many of the young ones are in different parts of the world it is a wonderful way of staying 'connected' and we do that by having a closed family page. No-one on any of our friends lists that aren't family can see what we post, and it works well for us.

You don't have to see games or apps there either Karl, it's all in your settings...

ollieowl
07-15-2013, 11:46 PM
yes you can it slow and don't reactivate it for 2 week by going site that you use Facebook to access as that rectivate it you HAVE to remember which you DID it on

Your account will be ‘deactivated’ (http://deletefacebook.com/deactivate) for two weeks. After this period it will be permanently deleted.

http://deletefacebook.com/

P.s here another that may useful

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/properly-close-facebook-account/

Superturtle
07-16-2013, 12:59 AM
If Facebook was to fall off the planet, we'd see a 20% increase in productivity across the board in the United States.

Sounds too low. Not that I'm speaking from experience. :clear:

laudesan
07-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Lulu is right. Facebook is not that bad at all, really. YOU get to control everything on there. I for one am grateful for the wonderful friends I have made on facebook, a special couple have become lifelong friends...

I love seeing all the amazing artwork on FB, and I follow some really amazing artists.

For art alone, FB is invaluable..

Lulu
07-16-2013, 02:19 AM

For art alone, FB is invaluable..

Absolutely!

Irishman
07-16-2013, 03:16 AM
I think that the age of internet has brought huge benefits but huge challenges and possible negatives as well.I know that I have spent far far too much time on this machine but am also aware of how much I have learnt through it's use.Not only with art and free lessons, but with paid lessons as well.Lessons that would not have been possible without the internet.As mentioned before, we are trying to move across Ireland and can see houses,get info etc on them without leaving this house and waste petrol and money.Admittedly some of them don't look as well in real life LOL but the advantages are wonderful including being able to see what houses have gone for before rather than have to trust the auctioneer/estate agent sometimes bulls**t.
But it is dangerous too and FB can I suppose be bad unless as Lulu says,you take all the precautions.I find it great for looking at other people's art but my settings are high and only 'friends' can see what I am interested in and me being Billy No Mates that's not many.Even then I actually say nothing because I can't for the life of me understand why people put info as to where they went,who they were with etc etc on it for the general public to read.

Lulu
07-16-2013, 04:53 AM
.I can't for the life of me understand why people put info as to where they went,who they were with etc etc on it for the general public to read.

so you don't read the Daily Wash then....:D

Mayberry
07-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm on Facebook mostly to read articles and see pretty pictures. My husband doesn't like Facebook much, so he has just a very bare bones account, with just immediate family and close friends. When he sees "suggestions" on his page, he just deletes them. He only looks at Facebook maybe once a week for a few minutes. One time he did delete his whole account. I don't remember quite what he did, but it was an annoyance for a while, getting emails inviting him back. It seems to be easier to just have a token account.

kaypainter
07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
I hate to say this but -- You can think you have set your privacy settings to the most private and it isn't. Never mind about hackers. They do what they want all over the internet. What most people don't know about trolling the internet anywhere and especially FB is that companies can get your information regardless of your privacy strings. Here in the US that is not illegal. It is used ostensibly to sell you things. It is used for far more than that.

Also anyone can get your location or where you've been by any pictures you have posted unless you make sure to turn off the location setting on your phone or digital camera before taking the pictures. Facial recognition software then allows someone to track you or members of your family even though your face isn't the one there, also tracking any friends who happen to be in the picture.

A suggestion to all who sign up for any site -- NEVER use your real birthday -- date or year! Use a fake address whenever possible. Make sure your security questions do not contain real info about you.

Happy trails :rolleyes:

Kay

Dragoon
07-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Hello
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why the caution about your birthday? What can it be used for?

I'm thinking about the past 15 years, when I didn't know about these warnings! *gulp*:clear:
Thanks,
D.

kaypainter
07-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Your birthday can be used as an identifier to help steal your identity.

Kay