PDA

View Full Version : July 14 - July 20, 2013, Weekly Challenge for Oil Pastel Forum

Flycatcher10
07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi everybody, welcome to the OP Weekly Challenge – this thread is open to all artists as an opportunity for artists to expand their creative talents using oil pastels :clap: .
Each Sunday a new thread for the week will be posted with three new words to base your inspiration for paintings or sketches.

The rules are simple:
· your art can either be a sketch or a painting,
· Oil Pastels must make-up 75% of the painting, the rest can be mixed media (watercolor, acrylics, oils, oil sticks/bars and water solubles, etc.),
· let us know the surface and size of your piece,
· to foster creativity, we’ll post three words for you to base your painting/sketch. Please feel free to paint one piece with all three words, or create one painting using one word, or paint three pieces w/one representing each word – paint as many as you’d like, as long as a painting represents one of the words. The choice is all yours.
· you’re free to post a"WIP", either to show us your progress or if you need help and advice.

July 14 - July 20, 2013, Weekly Challenge for Oil Pastel Forum

Let your imagination take over and enjoy! The three words for the weeks' challenge are:

PINK

FLOWER

PEACEFUL

RainySea
07-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Hi Mary,

Great words. . . I totally missed last week. Have to go in and see what others came up with! Thanks

Pat Isaac
07-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks Mary....great words. I am so missing my studio, but should get back there after another week. DH finally progressing.

Pat

thevaliantx
07-16-2013, 05:49 PM
I hope to get to this one. My job is WEARING ME OUT. I work overnight in food retail, standing on my feet for ten-plus hours with no break, working in a high volume setting. On top of that I drive an hour to work and an hour home. My direct boss has apparently been terminated, due to a lengthy HR investigation, so it's stressful not knowing who will replace him (as if it wasn't stressful enough dealing with the guy). When I'm stressed, the furthest thing from my mind is art.

thevaliantx
07-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your DH, Pat. :confused:

Pat Isaac
07-16-2013, 05:57 PM
So sorry about the job, Tom. Stress is a killer and I do hope it subsides soon. My DH had knee replacemnet surgery 3 weeks ago and this one was much worse than the last, but recovery is looking up now.
Slowly getting back to my studio and I hope hope things work out for you soon.
Pat

gakinme
07-17-2013, 03:08 AM
Tom, hopefully, you will be less stressed soon.

Pat, hoping that you would be among your oil pastels soon again.

Mary, thanks for the prompt.

Just a couple of doodles.

Gallery oil pastel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/86669-pigs21.jpg
Mungyo oil pastel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/86669-bird11.jpg

Flycatcher10
07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Fantastic sketches Sandra! Love the pig - the tail and floppy ears are great, just a happy guy!

Your second bird sketch is just a fabulous combination of colors and fantasy.

Dougwas
07-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Sandra- Your "doodles" are very well done. You caught the action of the pig walking and the colours of the bird really pop with the use of the black paper.

Pat- I hope your husband has a complete recovery and is able to walk without pain. I remember reading somewhere before I was having "minor" back surgery, "the only minor surgery is surgery someone else is having.":) Take care.

Doug

RainySea
07-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Aw, Sandra. . . love that pink piggie. Very cute.

Sorry have not yet participated . . . I've been sorta busy with other things this week and in my art time been trying to complete the crayon painting of one of my friend's dogs which I'm doing for her birthday in August.

Pat Isaac
07-18-2013, 01:09 PM
What great sketches, Sandra and the gesture of both is excellent.

Pat

Flycatcher10
07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Oil Pastel, cream pastel paper - a mix of OPs brands used
4x6

Can't believe that I'm on time for this week's challenge. Here is my Pink Tulips, taking care of two of the words . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2013/974094-Pink_Tulips.JPG

Reference image was from Nicola of pmp.

Pat Isaac
07-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Good for you, two for one. Perfect tulips....

Pat

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Here is my effort so far. I'm going to be famous for the Depressionist Movement, with my dark colors and all. :D

That does make me wonder if there is an internet tool that helps you to figure which famous artist(s) you are most like. I still have both of my ears. I'm safe there.

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Mary, your tulips are beautiful! I was only able to get one of the words....well, maybe two, depending on how you look at it.

Flycatcher10
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks Pat for your comment, thought I'd give flowers another try. I surprised myself and really enjoyed the time.

Thank you TVX for your comment. Not sure why you only got one word: there's a flower - right? And second pinks are used: light pink, gray pink, English pink among an infusion of other colors. Looks like two to me - and if someone felt that this painting gave them a peaceful feeling when they looked at it, then I'd say it was three words with this painting.

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Mary, I wasn't talking about YOUR painting, I was talking about MINE. Sorry for the confusion.

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Here is an update.

Flycatcher10
07-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Looks like you are beginning to get a 3-d effect, which is bringing some life into the painting. Interesting and good perspective, a look through the window, and while the pink is the word you've effectively just made it an object that's not the focal point.

Only suggestion is to add a variety of values w/n the trees to give them some depth (a variety of light and dark values bring the 3-d effect), just don't make them too dark or you'll move the trees forward to the same level as the window frame.

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I do wonder if the fruit will be the focal point when I'm done. That was originally my intention, and because of that I am beginning to feel that the background is too 'busy'. That white fence too the left looks a bit big. Perhaps I should have gone with loose shapes in the background? I am going to try and bring a lot of light into the window.

Tomorrow I will take another look at the resource photo to try and get a better handle on the trees. Thanks for pointing that out. :heart:

Pat Isaac
07-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Nice start, Tom and I do think that right now the background is more prominent. I'd work on the fruit before doing anything to the background and see how it looks then.

Pat

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the encouragement you all. A big push for me was to just turn the pastel paper over.

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Another update. Time to go to sleep.

gakinme
07-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Tom, your fruits look like they will be the star of the painting.

Mary, beautiful tulips. It has such slivers of colors and volume at the same time. :clap:

Some doodles in Pen Sketchers sketchbook 5.5 x 8 inch smooth paper.

Mungyo oil pastel dragon fruit, watercolor background.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2013/86669-doodle85.jpg

This was originally a cave landscape piece with naked lovers inside.:lol:

Mungyo and Sennelier oil pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2013/86669-portrait38.jpg

Flycatcher10
07-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Much better Tom, the fruits are starting to take on some form and personality, consider darkening the fruit near the bottom of each piece of fruit since it will have some dark reflections off the shadow on the table. The color nearer the bottom of the fruit won't be the same color as the top. Nice work on the shadow as well. If you don't want your background to come forward and you want it to take second place, consider graying the trees just a tad and make the barn less bright - gray it as well, not a lot but enough to push it back a bit more. This is becoming your best painting to date.

Well Sandra I like your world of fantasy!! So funny - very nice sketch of the person, is this someone you know? Beautiful pieces.

Thanks for your comment Sandra - I enjoyed working on the tulips.

Dougwas
07-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Mary- Wow! Your tulips look great! They are so well formed. I love the reflective colour on the bottom of the flowers (from the stems) (Does that make sense?:confused: ) I think you should frame it.

Tom- This is coming along nicely. I agree that this is looking like your best yet. You have already been given some good advice. Keep at it.

Sandra- I have to admit, when I read your comment I quickly took another look at your first piece.:angel: Your second piece looks great. Nice contrast on both sides of the face.

Doug

Dougwas
07-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Here is my pink mug. Why would I have a pink mug? Years ago over in the soft pastel forum, Charlie taught a still life course. I think it was called A Colourful Still Life. She suggested painting old mugs and plates with different coloured acrylic paint to get a good variety of objects. Anyway, it was a fantastic class and it taught me how to see colour.

This was done on 5 x 7 light grey Art Spectrum Suede paper. It was my first time using this paper and I really like it. It is similar to Canson Touch, but less textured. Easy on the sticks and easy to blend with colour shapers.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2013/102199-July19Mug.jpg

Doug

thevaliantx
07-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Doug, I'm reading ... okay, browsing....a large book on the impressionistic period. Your piece reminds me of that. Nice job!

gakinme
07-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Doug, very nice mug. The colors on the shady side are very good.

Actually, even my first piece it was two naked lovers but it was in pencil so that was erased and I just made use of the background. It's the two same characters as the second piece. For the second piece, you couldn't see the lovers anymore because I put Sennelier white on top. Here's the original (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551423).

Mary, I was just following a portrait practice book on the second piece.

thevaliantx
07-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Here's another update. I'm now going to spend some time working on the values of the fruit.

thevaliantx
07-20-2013, 12:52 PM
looks like the room was a little dark when I took that picture.

thevaliantx
07-20-2013, 01:07 PM
is the new image showing? trying to do this from my phone.

Flycatcher10
07-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks Doug for commenting on the Pink Tulips - painting flowers got me interested in probably doing some more.

Hey Doug that pink mug is great - the inside shading is perfect in colors and like the long shadows coming off the mug. Interesting comment about the soft pastel class and I'm going to check out the thread - I love learning about color.

TVX much better - seriously. Glad you removed some of the posts in the background the painting reads much better. Will be your best painting and should be framed when you are done.

One last suggestion, see the grass it is competing with the fruit with the fruit. If you want to keep the grass bright, add a touch of pale yellow to show some sun hitting the ground because if you have light coming from the backside of the fruit for foreground shadows you'll want to be sure to put some light onto the grass (pale yellow).

Nice reflective fruit colors in the shadows - works nicely, make the outer sides of the fruit shadows more fuzzy the further it gets away from the object. On the front side of the fruit it will be darker toward the bottom of the fruit (no sun or light hitting it), consider adding some darks (not real dark, but enough to show no light hitting it in this spot).

Pat Isaac
07-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Sandra, I always enjoy looking at your work....full of fun and fantasy at times. Great portrait!
Very nice mug, Doug and nice modeling. I like the use of complementary colors.
I agree, your best yet, Tom.I do like the reflected color that you have in the shadows of the fruit. I'd be careful that one of the fence posts is kissing the top of the pink fruit.
Pat

thevaliantx
07-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Pat, I'm thinking about lowering that fence post. Actually, it's supposed to be barbed wire between bigger posts, but I couldn't figure out how to draw something that thin. I initially had the barbs on the wire, but it just wasn't fine enough. I've corrected the middle barn, where the lower roof is the same width as the upper one. That will be reflected in the next update. Also, I'm concerned that the the whole foundation of the barn seems to be resting on the top fence post. If I raise the post, then parts of that beautiful barn will be obscured. You know what's funny, when I look out that particular window in my house all I see is another house next door about thirty feet away. The actual view looks NOTHING like what's being portrayed here. :lol: There is no fence, no barn, no trees that look like that in the distance. If I lower that top fence post, then I have to find a way to anchor the whole barn scene to the ground.

Pat Isaac
07-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Well, I do think the barn is anchored.

Pat

thevaliantx
07-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Here is another update. Time to go to sleep. This is becoming an obsession. :D

Thanks for all the help. It wouldn't be what it is without you.

Pat Isaac
07-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Nice finish, Tom.

Pat

Flycatcher10
07-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Congratulations TVX your painting turned out really nice. I see all the subtle changes you made, they work well bringing the whole piece together.

You should frame this one!

Dougwas
07-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the nice remarks on the mug. The process is getting easier with each piece I do. I really enjoyed the Colourfix Suede and plan on using it again. On to the next challenge!

Tom- I don't know if you are calling this finished or not, but you should be proud of your painting. You are improving with every painting. Keep at it.

Doug

thevaliantx
07-21-2013, 09:15 PM
No, guys, this one's not finished. The fruit and window pane need work. Shadows are missing that connect the fruit to the window. There's also something else that I am going to TRY to add that will REALLY make this baby sing. Anyone want to guess what that is? Hint: it has nothing to do with babies singing. ;)

thevaliantx
07-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Doug, why not create a piece with multiple mugs whose shadows play off one another? Do you drink coffee?

Sandra, do paint primarily with watercolors? Are you planning to do just use OP's for doing studies? Have you tried blending with the ones you have? I don't have any color shapers so what I'm using is q-tips. Sometimes a stray q-tip hair will make its way to the painting, but that's nothing that tweezers and a flashlight can't fix.

Mary, those tulips look real, almost wet on the bottom. All we seem to have around here are wild flowers on the side of a really busy road, plastic flowers that someone planted in plastic dirt that's in their plastic yards, or flowers in grocery stores and Wal-Mart. I think it would be fun (probably not realistic, though) to do an en plein air, mabye some day.

gakinme
07-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Tom, a bird somewhere on the fence?

I haven't got into the habit of blending OPs. I'm still more in the hatching stage. And my watercolors are generally awful so I cover them with OPs.

thevaliantx
07-22-2013, 05:57 AM
probably not a bird. here is a hint: double vision