PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Sunday 14th July 2013 ***

Yorky
07-14-2013, 03:09 AM
Good morning all from an overcast West Lancashire. Cloud cover and expected to be a little cooler today. I hope so, I can't stand this heat.

Doug

doppler
07-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Doug, Good morning.

I can't stand this cold :lol: Very unusual winter for us. Rain and fog most of the day.

Bastille Day :thumbsup:

LynnM
07-14-2013, 04:25 AM
:wave: Doug and Annie! Wakeful night here, the birds are starting, going to be hot today. I walked yesterday evening, it was lovely, soft breeze and dappled shade along the trail.

Going to try for sleep again............BBL

laudesan
07-14-2013, 04:33 AM
Hey :wave:

I spent the afternoon with my daughter. We ha lunch at Max Brenners, browsed the shops, visited our friend, bought our groceries... It was good. Been awhile since we have been able to spend time together.

I am real owies now, and sporting some interesting multicoloured bruises............

Love-Hugs-Healing Vibes.....

Scene Chaser
07-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Good Day All,

Doug, hope it cools down for you. It's nice to have the sun, though.

Annie, the hole in our woods and yard is dramatic. Wife, Janet, is very stressed by it all. Yes, by an insect that should not be on our continent. That's world trade for you.

Lynn, sorry about your fitful night. Will you take a nap?

JJ, nice to have a day with your daughter. (((()))) hoping you heal quickly.

We will be off to the building supply store today for a new kind of paint to use on our deck. The original part of our deck is wood and needs a good cover for it's floor.
Sore back from cleaning it yesterday.

Wondering about Hap. Don't people know they worry us when they don't call home once in a while?
Bill

ScarletLake
07-14-2013, 06:27 AM
:wave: :wave:

OK the wounded is up at 6:20 AM

It seemed like a long day yesterday ---I think this afternoon Keith will take me to see dad at the nursing home and use a wheelchair to get to his room. Too far for me to hobble too at the moment.

JJ - Hope you are feeling better --I missed that you had a fall too. A cat thing indeed.

Saw on the computer this morning where one of the Glee stars was found dead in his hotel room in Canada. A Corey something. I did not watch the show but had seen his face around. Only 31 yo. Sad.

I watched an old movie last night ---The Women --it was great. Still holds true today I think.

I think that I will delve into something artistic today.

Will check back later

Anita

Flattwo
07-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Hi to A

Tis definitely cooler here today, what a relief!

Geoff, well done on your sale, it inspires one!

A quiet day of painting here, better than meditation, although painting is a form of meditation....productive meditation

Shown below is a photo of my brother Iain outside a chocolate factory in Krakow, Poland, he was there a couple of weeks ago with his Polish partner. He brought me back some chocolate from there, I found it had an odd taste.

Iain's daughter has just been promoted to sergeant in the police force, she is tiny, cannot imagine her ordering burly male cops :lol: but she does!

Speak later

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2013/3457-1044287_561687393877021_1683801208_n.jpg

LynnM
07-14-2013, 07:02 AM
(((JJ)))

Thanks, Bill, I'm having breakfast and I'll go back to bed in a little while, been awake since 2:30....

Hi Anita, Henry, BBL

painterbear
07-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Good Morning all,
It is quarter after seven on a getting HOT day here in Oakwood. We are back on the AC and very happy to have it. :D I grew up in a suburb of Philadelphia sans AC and I remember the miserable hot summers only too well. My Mom had a room set up in the basement with an old sofa and table and chairs. She would retreat there during the day when she wasn't working in the kitchen because it was the only place that was relatively cool. :eek:

The little baby deer was back in our yard yesterday. He was still alone, but is bigger and looking well fed, so I guess he is doing OK. I worry about him not being with his little herd though. He still has the baby spots on his back.

Today I'm going over to the Springfield, Ohio, Art Museum to see their new exhibition with my friend Jane from painting class. Unfortunately, I tried to check their website this morning to see what it is about and got this stringent warning "Reported Attack Page! This web page at www.springfieldart.net has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences." Naturally, I got out of there asap. Have you ever seen anything like that?

Bill, I didn't realize that you had to take those trees down because of Dutch Elm infestation. :o How sad.

Lynn, Hope you can get back to sleep and have a good rest before starting the day again.

Anita, Ouch, so sorry about your injury. Best to stay off it as much as possible until you see the orthopedic doctor. Don't want to make it worse than it already is.

JJ, Hmmmmm, tripping in the dark isn't very pleasant. Sorry about your foot and ankle too.

Annie, Wish we could trade each other weatherwise a few degrees of cold from you for a few degrees of heat from us. Might make it more pleasant all the way around. ;)

Henry, Sometimes attitude makes up for size re your niece in the police. When I saw the photo, I thought maybe you had shaved your beard off, then I read it was your wonderfully talented photographer brother.

Doug, Oh, do I know what you mean about not enjoying the heat. Hope your tummy is feeling somewhat better today.

:wave: Hi Geoff and all who are on the way.

SYL, I'm off to wake up Larry and put my shortbread in the oven. Strawberry shortcake for breakfast today.

Sylvia

Flattwo
07-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Sylvia

I have three brothers, Iain the one above is 2 years younger than me, Kenneth, the photographer is 4 years younger than me, I have another, Gordon, who lives in Newcastle Upon Tyne, I also have two younger sisters :thumbsup:

Henry

Scene Chaser
07-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Sylvia, the bug is called the Green Ash Borer. It's from China and they think it came in on a wooden palette at a port in Detroit. They migrate at the rate of two miles a year. If it hadn't been for the idiots who decided to use the dead trees for campire wood, the bug wouldn't have made it to me for fifty years. By that time they may have found a way to kill them off. I say idiots, because everyone knew that campfire wood carried the bug, and there were huge fines for taking it north.

Bill

laudesan
07-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the hugss

Just popping in before I go to bed to post this photo for Annie..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2013/22284-Mt_Nebo_Rd_1931.jpg
Mt Nebo road 1931.

nite all

Ellen in Ont
07-14-2013, 07:55 AM
:wave: everyone,
I think I'm getting better. Much less hacking and coughing first thing in the morning. :D All the windows were left open last night to cool off the house but I'm going to close them up again in a minute. It is supposed to be 30 today.

This afternoon I'm off to our art club for our weekly open studio that is every Sunday afternoon during the summer. I'll take something to paint. I've been watching U-tube videos on making earrings from watercolour paper. Interesting but I don't need something else to distract me from painting. :rolleyes:

I did well at garage sales yesterday. I only went to about five (tired quickly getting over this cold) but I found the thing I've been looking for. It's a lightweight youth bed for Max when he sleeps over. He is outgrowing the playpen. :D It also happens to be decorated based on characters from his favourite show The Cars. I talked them down to $20 which included the mattress. :thumbsup: Of course I then spent more on the bedding for it uptown than on the bed.:rolleyes:

It's our anniversary today (34 years) so we are going out for supper this evening when Brian gets off work. At least we both remembered this year. It's a standing joke that usually one of us forgets. On our 20th we both forgot until days later.:D

Welcome to notbob. You will find the wash full of future friends.:D

I love coming in here first thing in the morning to share my morning coffee and to catch up on everyone's news. But coffee is long gone and I have to shower and close up the house so I'll wish you a great day and get moving.

Yorky
07-14-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm back and the sun is back :eek:

Sylvia I checked the Springfield site against stopforumspam and it came out clear. Not a guarantee I suppose against viruses.

PS Congratulations to Ellen and Brian on their anniversary :music:

Doug

FLNH
07-14-2013, 08:34 AM
A hazy,muggy day at the Lake. The Loons woke me up several times last night...but it is better than sirens. Loons have very loud calls and a variety of sounds which have identifiably different messages. Googling "loon calls" should get you sound bites if you are interested.

I started a new painting...a very different one for me. It can be exciting trying something different even in ones Senior years. Actually it is exciting to be able to start anything.:)

Really enjoyed the Cook Island crew photos. I enjoy anyone posting photos, as we visual artists are, well, visual.

Fresh halibut on the grill tonight with a mint,kiwi,peach, habanero pepper salsa accompanied by stir fried baby bok choy with Szechwan pepper corns and ginger. Even my food is culturally diverse.

Those of us hurting are never far from my thoughts. HAWLTAIN.

villagernb
07-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Good Sunday morning, Washers! And Happy Bastille Day!

VERY hot and sunny with just a bit of wispy cloud cover here in my Village. NO BREEZE! Almost unheard of here!

Yesterday we shopped for groceries and ran errands in Moncton and Dieppe. It was just like being inside an oven downtown, and both cities were practically deserted. Everyone had gone to the beaches or their camps or cottages.

Doug, hope it cools down for you. LOVED Ruth's knitted doggies yesterday! I see a bull terrier in the herd!:clap:
Thank Ruth for her advice on how to use a cane properly. My Don had knee surgery several years ago, and was told to buy a cane to use while he recovered. We bought a snazzy one (Shiny cobalt blue with gold moon and stars on it!) but then it took quite a bit of practice to figure out how to use it!:confused:

JJ, sorry about your cat-related fall! Hope you are on the mend! Loved your photos yesterday and your sketches on your blog! Today's pic of the road on Mt. Nebo reminded me of the road out to our subdivision near Fredericton when we moved there in 1983. It was just a trail through the woods, and when icy in winter was downright scary!:eek:

Welcome Bob/notbob!:wave:

Happy anniversary Ellen and Brian. (And many more!):heart:

Hi, Kay! Beautiful photos yesterday of jewellery, needlecraft and architecture.:thumbsup:

Bill, sorry about your trees.:crying: I love my trees; our house is built in a former pasture, with a marshy area at the back that we left untouched--it's our bird sanctuary. We don't have a lot of trees, so we really treasure them.
We are also painting the floor of our deck this week. We are curious about the new paint you plan to use. Would you mind sharing the type you plan to buy? If your experience with painting decks is like ours, you've probably found that paint doesn't last long on the floor!:rolleyes:
Ms. Feral must be enjoying the peace and quiet today!

Karl, I was thrilled to read that you have loons on your lake! The call of the loon is the quintessential sound of the Canadian wilderness. I heard a story last week on CBC Radio that said that loons are in trouble. Many of them are becoming unsuccessful at raising their young. Mercury poisoning is affecting their behaviour and causing them to be "bad parents". They appear to lack the ability to provide their chicks with sufficient food to thrive. What a sad story!:crying:
On a happier note, your dinner menu always makes me drool!:)

A few chores to do and then a very hot walk for me!

SYL

Anne

JudyL
07-14-2013, 11:24 AM
:wave: 8 am here and I'm about to go for my walk.
We had a lovely time at the kids "Great Campbell Campout" The back yard was littered with 5 tents and kids. I met a lovely couple, the wife is from the UK and they lived there for some years before moving to California. We spent most of the day floating in the pool and talking the "boys" played horse shoes. Then dinner which was wonderful and I behaved myself till I saw the giant chocolate mousse :eek: so worth the pounds I gained.

Which is way I about to take off.

BBL

Scene Chaser
07-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Ann,
I'll let you know the name of the paint after I get it today. It's from Home Depot. It's more like a thick coating than a paint. And, supposed to be very durable.

Karl, your Halibut sounds delicious. The best Halibut I've had was at a restaurant in Maine. It was breaded, but so good.
Bill

olliewood0702
07-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Hello all,

I never made it into the wash yesterday. Larry and I had many errands to make and were out and about all day. Later we had Jen, Matt and girls over for a BBQ and then a bonfire. We had s'mores for dessert.:thumbsup:

((JJ)) take it easy for a couple of days to let your wounds heal. I'm glad you had a blast at the sketch crawl and with Tania.

Bill, it's horrible how that tree disease has spread because of moving wood. I don't doubt that there is a big hole in your yard now.

(((Ellen))) I'm glad you are on the mend and that you found that deal in a bed for Max.

Karl, you always make my mouth water with your descriptions of your meals.

Sylvia, I hope you enjoyed your strawberry shortcake breakfast.

Henry, that is a great pic of your Brother and niece!

Annie, I'm sorry your weather has been cold and wet.

Kay, wonderful jewelry that you made, great craftsmanship!

Anne, it's like an oven here too; too hot for me.:rolleyes:

Hello Lynn!

((ANITA)) be careful on that ankle. Our neighbor lady fell and sprained her ankle and they told her it was worse than a break; she's borrowing my crutches. She's 70 years old but so young looking and acting; a very active lady who's married to a man 15 years her junior.

It's sunny and hot already here and we are invited to Kaitlyn's boyfriends place for Hamburgers on the grill. It's a celebration of both Kaitlyn's and Preston's birthdays.

Our veggie garden is coming along great; we should be harvesting very shortly; not bad for getting in in the second week in June!:thumbsup:

It's calling for VERY hot temps this coming week; Larry is not looking forward to it. He said he hates to wish his summer away but he doesn't like the heat. And the Farmers Almanac said we would have a cooler than normal summer. Just goes to show you they aren't always accurate.:confused:

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL DAY today!:wave: :wave: :heart:

Scene Chaser
07-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Doug, you should be glad not to be here, now. It's 98 F in the sun.

Darla, my garden is not doing so well. My vandal has destroyed about $70 worth of plantings. When I catch him, he will pay. :evil:
Bill

shipbroker
07-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Well Henry missed me anyway.....The brother picture could have been you mate....

HOT here, no rain and some cloud but uncomfortable.

Karl, Halibut..what a treat...like a good steak..grilled with a little butter ahhhhhh!

Came home a little earlier than planned as there was a tractor rally due to pass the site at 2pm and would delay us by up to an hour...

Here is my little patch yesterday...plenty of other art but don't think much sold, last time, 2 years ago we had torrential rain and there was a better footfall/sales pattern than a boiling hot day like yesterday!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2013/84585-small_domestic_100.jpg

geoff

Yorky
07-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Geoff, you are so often out in the wilds with no internet connection we don't worry when you don't clock in in the morning. Impressive stall, glad you at least sold one to defray your expenses.

Another terrific stage up to Mount Ventou by Chris Froome in the TDF. Left Contador standing :clap:

Doug

FLNH
07-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Loons are also in trouble here. They are protected but, of course, we are encroaching on their habitat. The cause of the lead poisoning are lead sinkers used for fishing and fish are the loons main diet. NH has outlawed lead sinkers but that will not bring immediate relief. Loons are an ancient species...they are not ducks but related to albatrosses. The only time they fly is when they migrate. They nest on land, but once hatched they remain in water until they are sexually mature usually around age 7. Probably more than you wish to know...but I am a little "looney."

kaypainter
07-14-2013, 01:18 PM
"Lo all,

Didn't have much of a night last night. Someone upstairs was having a party. I closed up all my bedroom windows and tried to go to sleep. Really wanted an early night, but forget it. At midnight I was awakened by some sort of bongo drumming thing. So furious I called the police community number. The officer said I had to call this other number which is like a dispatch center to send out units for non-emergency calls. I was on hold for 20 minutes! Hung up. Called back and was on hold another 12! Gave up. Called the manager even thought I knew he wasn't home, and left an angry message. I knew he couldn't be home (or maybe he'd taken a sleeping pill) because the party was over his apartment. Fell back asleep sometime around 2am. :rolleyes: Hope this is a one time thing.

Is it any wonder people call 911 instead when they want the police? I wouldn't do it, but really that was ludicrous! I've been put on hold by 911 in a real emergency. Okay off the soapbox.

Sadly, yes. Love your jewellery oh wow girl, you are soooooo good.

That is not my jewelry. I wish!!!!! That was made by master silversmiths in Mexico. If only I could get that good. ((((((your ankle)))))))

Nice display Geoff. Is it easy to set up and take down? Looks like a lot of work.

Gosh Bill that's terrible about your vandal. Do you think he knows where the camera is and can avoid it?

Karl that's really interesting about the loons. They have sort of the same problem with the California condors. They were brought back from extinction, but people shoot rabbits and other creatures and condors eat the carcasses and get lead poisoning. That's if someone doesn't shoot the condors which has happened.

Oh before I forget again -- here's a link to a watercolor artist having an exhibit in the Denver area.

http://www.williamhavugallery.com/category/jeanette-pasin-sloan/

:eek: :eek: :eek: I get these emails from Visual Art Source with gallery openings. I could filter it down to just LA galleries, but then I'd miss out on things like this. WOW!

Okay, need to get stuff done. I have a memorial to go to later today for my friend who died.

HAWLTAIN and there seem to be a lot of you at the moment!

Kay

villagernb
07-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Home again!

Kay that art is :eek: :eek: :eek: Hard to believe that humans can produce such amazing work!

Doug, Froome can zoom!:lol: :lol:

Beautiful selection of your paintings, Geoff! Sorry about the lack of sales. Sometimes it's just too hot to open your wallet.:(

Tourist season is well underway here. I gave directions to two lost drivers on my walk--one looking for my Village (That doesn't happen very often!) and the other couldn't tell the difference between Central Street and Main Street. (I can hardly tell the difference myself!:evil: Hope they both got to their destinations!:angel:

Have fun at Home Depot Bill! We visit there quite often!

Later

Anne

LynnM
07-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Well, I got another hour or so sleep, am pretty numb now. Just puttering around vacuuming (Ants!) and tidying up. I posted a couple of little sketches (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323569)from my course with Johannes in the Studio. I'm enjoying it, a review of past theory and lots of practice this time of individual motifs, learning to re-think my approach to landscape.

Murphy's law, my controller for the air conditioner needs new batteries, on one of the hottest muggiest days so far this year :eek: My daughter is going to bring me some, I'm not in any shape to go looking for them.

Nice booth, Geoff.

Nice newsy wash, glad to see everyone :)

villagernb
07-14-2013, 08:55 PM
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy179/giro_man/IMG_3808.jpg (http://s789.photobucket.com/user/giro_man/media/IMG_3808.jpg.html)

Here, Kittie, Kittie, Kittie!

It was such a hot day, we decided to have a couple of "Kitties" with supper!
They went down a treat with salad and burgers!

Anne

JudyL
07-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Bill, we had plant thieves in the UK, they would steal the plants and take them to car boot sales, our neighbors lost some really good ones. I think I would hook up cameras or perhaps some "shocking" stuff, how about a nice pot of poising oak/ivy :evil grin:

Yorky
07-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Or a sign"Trespassers will be shot" ?

Doug