PDA

View Full Version : Chess Match

lobsterpot
07-12-2013, 05:33 AM
A chess match in the park. C^C invited.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2013/1144347-CHESSMATCH1.jpg

Jody Schmidt
07-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I prefer your raw wooden panel abstracts and similar abstract works to the digital manipulations you have been posting lately, but since you have the 'eye', there should be something interesting going on here: the distribution of pink-purple fuchsia and like hues from the upper left through a strong horizontal across the middle and a stray flung spot lower-left is unbalancing and gives that powerful synthetic vibe. But, the repeated man like a television screen jumping back in the analog CRT days may suggest the repetition and monotony of chess. The disc and circle shapes hint at the physical placement of round-bottomed chess pieces. Finally, the radiation of pink-purple coloration and the placement of the yellow purple and gray discs suggests a knight chess piece's movement possibilities. And, perhaps a color-coded winning strategy. Am I getting close with any of this??

lobsterpot
07-13-2013, 05:39 AM
thanks for the crit Jody. I have nearly a full tank of gas in my digital car so I'll be doing these things until I run out of fuel or crash!

Your analysis is very interesting and works--however, it's not my intention to make eg., element A = this or element B = that. The only thing that interests me in these pieces is the total effect on the viewer. It's like cooking with a lot of ingredients--if the ingredients go together the food tastes good, if not it doesn't.