PDA

View Full Version : Change of Pace... Some illustrations...

alangraham
07-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Tired of large, abstract works so took a few steps back and had me some fun over the last few days.

Most of these are contemporary art although they feature Victorian themed objects. I'm sure I could post in the Illustration section, but heck, you guys know me. Thought it would be fun to share something different.

All of them are small and done with acrylics on watercolor paper (arches 140lb). Each is about 9x12 or so.

I figure these would make good gifts down the road, or for folks who like my stuff but want to purchase something a little cheaper. I'm thinking about $50 unframed? Sound OK? I'm going to frame one tomorrow and take it down with some other works where I'll be hanging stuff up at a local coffee shop for a month or so.

Comments are welcome, but I don't think I'll be changing much on these. I am planning to do more tomorrow or so, so please chime in if you have ideas. Thanks all. :)

alangraham
07-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Here is the woman stretching/playing with her hair but not zoomed in. Also included are a few examples of them framed.

And yes, I just finished a male piece. Modeled him after Dr. Watson from the new movies (sherlock holmes). Again, these are fun and about pop but oh well.

abstractca
07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
these are very good
like the colors vivid and bright

birdhs
07-11-2013, 02:10 AM
I like these
fun
vivid
seems a bit almost naughty

thanx 4 sharing these

greggo

alangraham
07-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks to both of you :).

Yes, vivid, fun, and a lil naughty.

jimwhalen
07-11-2013, 07:17 AM
While in Chicago last week I went to the "Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity" exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago. Along with the exhibit of great Impressionists work, they had an exhibit of the fashion that was worn in many of the paintings. A of course they featured the Victorian torture corset.

Your pieces here made me think of them. I love the "old fashioned" naughtiness you depict in these paintings and the way you have painted them makes for great fun. Nice work.

alangraham
07-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks Jim. The exhibit sounded awesome! Would love to visit Chicago one day.

Going to work on some objects today instead of people. Fun fun.

Katie Black
07-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Very nice Cory....I wonder if you know that you have a natural talent for figures..there is definitely a playful naughtiness in these pieces..:)

truarts
07-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I like all of these but the man comprised after Dr. Watson is my fav. Love his stance and the way you modeled his face. Should have no prob selling that one. Keep up the great work my friend.

alangraham
07-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Katie-- Thanks. You have me feeling pretty good right now :). I have found that most folks love these cute, little paintings and even more so since they are cheap to make and cheap to price. I mean, each one takes about 2 hours or so. Of course I try to keep that to myself and other artists. The general public doesn't need to know that :).

About what you said, Katie, about having a natural talent-- thanks again. To be honest I sometimes doubt this. I really need to have some type of example to go off of. For me, I NEED at least some type of visual inspiration to base my works. It boggles me to see folks come up with this stuff just on their own! I've always wanted to be a comic book artist so this is my way, I suppose. Also, I don't really enjoy sketching or drawing. It takes too much time, and can be boring for me. To me, its about the color, painting, and making the piece come alive.

I should take time out to better my drawing skills but have no want to. However, I know it would better me in the long run.

alangraham
07-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks Truarts :). Always glad to see you on here.

Yes, I found some cool images of Jude Law as Dr. Watson and then did my 'own' thing. The piece is rather small, but I want to do a close up as you can see in one of my photos. That would be fun.

And yes, I sure hope to sell some! These are so less cost effective compared to using large amounts of paints on a huge canvas :). I mean, if I sold one at $50 that would be like $45 profit minus supplies. Not bad.

davefriend
07-11-2013, 11:04 PM
They are all appealing and well done Cory. :thumbsup:

Every artist needs a line of affordable art to fill the gaps between sales of the bigger work - unless maybe you've reached the big times.

alangraham
07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks Dave. Not at the big times yet :). However, and as I've said, they are charming for their size and hopefully I can lure some new customers who don't have the money.

For example, one guy saw them on facebook, and we chatted about it through a message and he ended up buying a print from a previous work! So, maybe it's working and getting others to view my stuff?? I also know adding the latest post on my blog site where they can buy these did increase traffic yesterday.

Jon
07-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Good news on the sale, Cory.

Modeled him after Dr. Watson from the new movies (sherlock holmes).I suspected there was such an influence. Nice job on these.

brighteye76
07-13-2013, 05:12 PM
I love your style!

Katie Black
07-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Katie-- Thanks. You have me feeling pretty good right now :). I have found that most folks love these cute, little paintings and even more so since they are cheap to make and cheap to price. I mean, each one takes about 2 hours or so. Of course I try to keep that to myself and other artists. The general public doesn't need to know that :).

About what you said, Katie, about having a natural talent-- thanks again. To be honest I sometimes doubt this. I really need to have some type of example to go off of. For me, I NEED at least some type of visual inspiration to base my works. It boggles me to see folks come up with this stuff just on their own! I've always wanted to be a comic book artist so this is my way, I suppose. Also, I don't really enjoy sketching or drawing. It takes too much time, and can be boring for me. To me, its about the color, painting, and making the piece come alive.

I should take time out to better my drawing skills but have no want to. However, I know it would better me in the long run.

From what I can gather, all artists seem to question their own ability at times, so I wouldn't worry, its normal. Well done on the sale!

alangraham
07-14-2013, 10:46 AM

trufflecat
07-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Wish I could paint like that in 2 hours! These are great, and I was particularly impressed by the way they look in your mats and frames - good choice. BTW I am SO glad women don't have to wear those things any more...

alangraham
07-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks Trufflecat! My time varies between 2 and 4 hours. I lose track so I just attempt to guess, lol.

Yes, I'm sure it would be uncomfortable for you ladies...

gakinme
07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
These are really nice, Cory. I like the two framed pieces and Watson. It is a surprising light background against predominantly dark/black figures but it seems to work. I suppose if you use a more colorful darker background, it might not stand out as much as an illustrative piece. At this moment, it's elegant but it's definitely the guy's approach appealing to the guys, which is great. We have seen plenty of delicately rendered form model with corset in watercolor and pen and ink and fewer of your type. That one is very well done. You might want to consider using a white frame which might compete less.

alangraham
07-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Sandra! Thanks for commenting and great to hear from you :).

Haha, a guy's approach, so without knowing you could for sure see a guy painted this :). That makes sense as my style is more on the 'male' side I suppose. Good idea on the white frame-- never thought of that. Basically, NONE of these are framed, I just used an example photo. I would like to sell these if I can at a lower price so as not to have to deal with framing.

gakinme
07-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Even better, Cory. Just sell them with a mat. I went to some open studios in my town and my watercolor teacher is really nice. He put up a sign that says, "It's recession time. Feel free to bargain." He sold a lot every year. Open studios are the best time to sell because the galleries hike up his prices 100% and so everyone waits for open studios to buy.

I bought one big piece ($200) from him at 50% discount and a bunch of greeting cards knowing that I would never be able to come up with something so beautiful and hand painted (though reproduced).

At another artist studio who has some neat charcoal sketches of landscapes and some abstracts, 4x4 inch with mat and frame, listed $45 each, she gave me a super deal when I bought 2 - $40 for two just at closing time. Her unmatted, unbagged, abstract acrylic work in 5x7 inch are $25 a pop and they went pretty fast. Be open to negotiations and bulk discounts.

Your style is very unique and they would make great greeting cards at $3-$5 each.

alangraham
07-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks so much Sandra. Yeah, great ideas all around. It would be pretty simple to sell it with a mat and have them frame it on there own. After working on canvases for the past months, it KILLS me having to frame again. UGH.

Sonata_In_Pink
07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Oh, wow! I really like these.
The colours are perfect, and your painting style looks really good in a frame ;)
Well done.

alangraham
07-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks Sonata! Welcome to the forum :)