PDA

View Full Version : Bump in the Night

davefriend
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
A few nights ago I was to wound up to go to sleep at bedtime and so I stayed up too late working on the latest in my unnamed series. It's a 20x16 acrylic on canvas titled "Bump in the Night". I spent a few hours in each of the following 2 days finishing it in the light of day. This time I ran the painting to the edge of the canvas rather than vignetting.

The painting is full of activity and maybe too busy for some viewers tastes. Hope you can enjoy it and it is not too troubling. I have turned it all ways except diagonally trying to decide which rotation is the one I like best and this is the way it ended up. All comments and criticisms are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2013/538491-bump_in_the_night_20x16_800x642.jpg

Here is a gray scale of the image

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2013/538491-bump_in_the_night_20x16_GS.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment! :wave:

birdhs
07-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Oh my! Same reaction as the last one from me.
and I have gone back again and again to study the last one.

I prefer this one simply because it is painted to the edges.

If I owned either one or both of these I would place them in a place where everyone naturally gathered. Guaranteed to be a conversation starter!

Thanx again for sharing this with us

greggo

davefriend
07-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Oh my! Same reaction as the last one from me.
and I have gone back again and again to study the last one.

I prefer this one simply because it is painted to the edges.

If I owned either one or both of these I would place them in a place where everyone naturally gathered. Guaranteed to be a conversation starter!

Thanx again for sharing this with us

greggoThanks for jumping right in greggo. I too enjoy the new edge treatment on the latest painting. I think it is still a boundary and now it acts like an integral ornamental frame. I have stared at the painting for 'hours' without painting, just seeing what will appear, I get tired of staring before I find all the imagery.

Thanks again!! :wave:

abstractca
07-11-2013, 12:02 AM
I really like those colors I! very relaxing and peaceful to look at.
Fun to see how all the action gravitates towards the center

Spottters
07-11-2013, 06:57 AM
I like this one. Nice colors

alangraham
07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Wonderful, Dave. The colors work for me and even reminds me of Stary Night. Good van Gogh feel. As Greg said it would be a great conversation.

You are painting around the edge?

Katie Black
07-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Dave, The swirling vivid forms have a kind of fiery wildness to them which appeals!...this is my favourite! also I like that you have taken the painting to the edge of the canvas..it has life!

davefriend
07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I really like those colors I! very relaxing and peaceful to look at.
Fun to see how all the action gravitates towards the centerI do like this palette and to me, the colors combined with the motions created my the marks seem to be in opposition to each other and personally this makes some interesting visual and mental resolutions happen. :eek: Thanks for commenting abstractca!

I like this one. Nice colorsThank you Spottters!

Wonderful, Dave. The colors work for me and even reminds me of Stary Night. Good van Gogh feel. As Greg said it would be a great conversation.

You are painting around the edge?Like your comparison Cory, I love Van Gogh. :) I brought related color tones to the edge and in a gentle way wrapped some of it around the edge ~ not boldly but more soft than the face of the painting.

Dave, The swirling vivid forms have a kind of fiery wildness to them which appeals!...this is my favourite! also I like that you have taken the painting to the edge of the canvas..it has life!I have been fascinated with purple and lilac lately and these colors fit into this style quite easily with the blues. This one seems a bit more garish than the last one (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322659), which in turn is more so than it's predecessor (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321837) but it carries a strange and interesting vibe to it. Thanks for your thoughts Katie! :wave:

Jon
07-13-2013, 02:23 PM
In my humble opinion not too busy at all. I like both of them with a very slight preference for this one. Great color combo here. Greg already mentioned what came to my mind and that is both would be excellent works to ignite a conversation. Very good, Dave!

davefriend
07-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Thank you very much JON! :D

trufflecat
07-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Wild, flowing, and wonderful!

davefriend
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Wild, flowing, and wonderful!Thanks Susan!

mang
07-15-2013, 05:32 PM
So interesting. I see layers of figures

davefriend
07-15-2013, 05:58 PM
So interesting. I see layers of figuresThanks mang, I always love to hear how the art strikes and what you see there. :)

bschart
07-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Really nice Dave. A similar feel to the background of a Kokoschka. Strong painting.

Gigalot
07-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Awesome! Very colorful painting!

davefriend
07-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Really nice Dave. A similar feel to the background of a Kokoschka. Strong painting. Thanks bschart! Cool reference to Oskar Kokoschka :thumbsup:

Awesome! Very colorful painting!Thanks Gigalot! Glad you are liking those colors :D

fiddleplayer
07-18-2013, 01:44 AM
Dave, I think it's time to show us this series as a group. What do you think?

davefriend
07-18-2013, 04:06 AM
Dave, I think it's time to show us this series as a group. What do you think?OK, you got it. (1, 3, 4 top 2, 5 btm.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2013/538491-majestic_tempestuous_licks_bump_midsummer_combo.jpg

Sonata_In_Pink
07-18-2013, 09:10 AM
I quite enjoy "noisy" artwork a lot of the time.
I like seeing what appears to me after a while.
Really nice work. I love the colours, too.

davefriend
07-18-2013, 12:47 PM
I quite enjoy "noisy" artwork a lot of the time.
I like seeing what appears to me after a while.
Really nice work. I love the colours, too.I think it takes effort to stare and wait for noise to quiet down and the images to wake up and reveal themselves, so thanks for looking Sonata_In_Pink :D

lobsterpot
07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Dave--you're not listening to your Uncle Anthony--I must remind you that I said this style of painting is a dead end. Look at what my little computer did with one hand tied behind its back:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2013/1144347-538491-bump_in_the_night_20x16_800x642.jpg

Not bad eh?

--anthony

Jon
07-18-2013, 01:28 PM
How many times has it been said 'painting is dead' - let artists create as they feel the desire, in my humble opinion.

davefriend
07-18-2013, 01:32 PM
How many times has it been said 'painting is dead' - let artists create as they feel the desire, in my humble opinion. Thanks JON. The fun, for me, is just painting and if someone else looks twice ...so much the better! :D

Dave--you're not listening to your Uncle Anthony--I must remind you that I said this style of painting is a dead end. Look at what my little computer did with one hand tied behind its back:

Not bad eh?

--anthonyNot bad, I like it in green, maybe a slightly different shade though!

Dead ends are just where someone stopped building the road, maybe they ran out of steam or money or it was just too hard to go on. I'm not done with this little trip just yet Anthony but thanks for your advice. :wave: