PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing through Amazon vice Dakota, Blick, or Jerry's

Triple B
07-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Forgive me for starting a new thread on this as I've read about others recently purchasing pastels through Amazon. I have a specific question, though.

After trying out Mount Visions from a my wife's friend, I'm looking to start out with their 50 piece Landscape set to start my collection.

This set is $142.95 at Blick, $139.99 at Dakota and $92 through Amazon. A no-brainer, right? You can get any set of MV on Amazon and they're all radically cheaper.

My question: I realize some breakage of pastel sticks is inevitable through shipping from any source, but since Amazon isn't a primary art supplies dealer, can more breakage be expected buying through them vice dealers like Dakota or Blick? Anyone have any good stories or horror stories about buying pastels through Amazon?

Thanks!

DBfarmgirl
07-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I ordered that same set through Amazon and had not so much as a chip when it arrived here.
Same for Blick, ASW and Jerrys. I also ordered pastels from England and they arrived perfect.
Could be that I have a careful UPS guy and mail lady.

The only "horror" story I have was an ebay purchase that looked like it had gone 10 rounds with a heavy weight. I have also gotten some from Ebay that were great.

Grinner
07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
It's hard to argue with $92, but I'm only chiming in here because you didn't list the actual company as an option! Always check with the makers, too, when shopping for pastels, not just the art supply stores.

www.mountvisionpastels.com (http://www.mountvisionpastels.com)

The 50 piece landscape set (http://www.mountvisionpastels.com/landscape50set.htm) there is $135, lower than both Blick and Dakota (at least before shipping). Just thought everyone should remember to look there, too. :) I have bought all of my Mount Visions direct from them.

Seaspray
07-09-2013, 03:58 PM
I have purchased Mount Vision pastels through Amazon, and they have arrived in perfect condition...packaged in the same manner as those purchased directly from the Mount Vision website.

Carol

Davkin
07-09-2013, 08:47 PM
I bought a full set thru Amazon, no problems, I had more breakage on the ones I bought from Blick.

David

Lady Carol
07-09-2013, 09:19 PM
I regularly purchase via Amazon. I have never had a problem with any art supply I have bought

Mettaphorica
07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Just a thought, but if you can kick your Blick order up to $149 and submit by Friday, you will get 35% off MV (and anything else you put in your order that qualifies). Not sure if that makes it cheaper than Amazon. I can't buy from Amazon. They wont ship certain items to non US addresses, this includes pastels. Blick, Jerry's, Dakota, Cheap Joes and Utrecht have all had me as a customer and are happy to ship to Australia. Amazon are missing out on a huge market, methinks.
cheers
Donna

Triple B
07-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Looks like Amazon it is! :D

elisehbeck
07-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi Donna,

But there are amazon websites for other countries. I buy all my books from either amazon.de or amazon.uk, for example. Is there no Australian version?

cheers
Elise

pastel65
07-13-2013, 08:24 PM
I have purchased pastels through Amazon many times. Only one 5 piece set was a mess. Clearly someone returned them since there were no foam in the box and most of the 5 were all crumbled. I guess they just taped it up and put on shelf and unfortunately I was the person that got them. They immediately shipped me out a replacement and emailed me the shipping label to return them.

I will tell you I just got a set of 25 MV and they all arrived in perfect condition, but I did rate them poor on the shipping package - why you may ask, well there was no shipping package. They put the label directly on the MV box with no additional protection and the box wasn't even taped closed. It would be like sending a music CD without a wrapper and the label right on the CD cover. (good thing no one along the way needed a pastel or two)

Some pastel items on Amazon are sold by Fine Arts (not sure of exact company name). I have received items from them in good condition.

If the price is right, Cheap Joe's does a really good job with packaging.

Give Amazon a try since they will stand by their products and replace any item with a problem.

Funny side story - had set of place mats on backorder with Amazon. They finally arrived but instead of the one set I ordered, they sent me their entire
new inventory. They emailed me a return shipping label really fast that time. :lol:

Pam