PDA

View Full Version : creating shine

oleCC
06-17-1999, 08:23 AM
In painting a dark green tin roof, I first applied the color, then did some "lifting" to create the appearance of shine. It really does not look "shiny" now, but does look like the light is reflecting somewhat. Any suggestion? All help is appreciated.

------------------

Drew Davis
06-20-1999, 02:06 PM
Shiny things generally have extreme value changes (compared to other, matte, surfaces). They also tend to adopt the colors of the reflected light, rather than keeping their own, especially if they're highly polished. (It's a tin roof, not a silver one, so you could get carried away with this effect http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif Lifting is a good way to get a value change, but if you're using a staining pigment, you may not be able to lift it enough. One alternative is to save the lightlight, with masking fluid if it's hard to paint around, to keep it light enough, bringing it down from white in a second layer. Also, just lifting will change the value, but not the hue. You may need to change the color in your highlight a bit, rather than just making it lighter. You could also consider opaque goache
for the highlights.

oleCC
06-20-1999, 11:50 PM
Thank you Drew..............you are right, I
am not able to lift enough to achieve the desired results, but will use gouche if all
else fails. By the way, I notice I am called a "junior member".......?! Must say it feels rather nice to be a junior, at MY age LOL
Thanks again.........Carol