PDA

View Full Version : Fess and Dunn on rainy days, facing south

markr
09-14-2003, 05:52 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-14-2003/26982_fessanddunn2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fess and Dunn on rainy days, facing south
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Almost forgot to post this one. Another of my paintings for rainy days. This has three or four sessions into it. Got a ways to go I guess. I'm currently hating the format and/or the composition.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
In progress ... will post it again after more work. Thinking alot about this: even on these very gray days, hell even at night, there's always a specific "sense of light". Trying to get that here. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

bruin70
09-14-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by markr
MY IMAGE(S):
[IMG]even at night, there's always a specific "sense of light". Trying to get that here. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

light always glows no matter how grey..................like a corot.

dornberg
09-14-2003, 10:21 AM
i like the tree
also the lines relating to the page edges

Lady Rando
09-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Yes, I do know what you mean about light in the dark. Good luck capturing that elusive creature. I'm sure you'll give it a good try and I am looking forward to seeing the results of your struggle with it.

pero lane
09-14-2003, 01:44 PM
I know you're pushing for bigger/better/more on this one....but step back and see the merit it has as is!:)

jerryW
09-14-2003, 01:59 PM
the space opens up magnificently, after your strenuous treatment of planes - smudged and blushing color, spare line - energy dances without any resistance accross the surface, any direction.
still with all teh abstract integrity, a strong sense of place emerges.

markr
09-15-2003, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback, so glad to hear someone else saw what I saw (with the light and all). I won't post this one again till all the leaves fall off the trees here. I guess that will mean it's done (for the year anyway).
Thanks,
Mark

woodguy
09-15-2003, 08:04 PM
Mark...I understand what you are talking about concerning lights and darks on gray midwestern days. As for this particular painting I think that you need to incorporate some of the very "dark" colors from the tree into the building to the right. Perhaps the window that is currently light could go as dark as your darkest darks in the tree. Also add some of that to a basement window...more for balance and to tie right to left. Just an idea, Jim

TScottDove
09-16-2003, 02:17 AM
so much to like here... (but will saying so put me in your doghouse? :)) the reflection in the puddles, the "heaviness" of the leaves on the trees, the sense that the whole scene is drenched. i see a distinct sense of light - but diffused brightness as opposed to direct sunlight. pero makes a good point. sign this and send it to m... i mean move on.

btw: what direction are we facing? what bldg is that at Fess and Dunn?

persim
09-16-2003, 06:08 PM
markr:
This I think is very early!.....
From the works of yours its to early...........
Only one session?

From this start I cant give you any clues, it's totally "open".

It could be great, it could be a Van Gog... and the rest you know