PDA

View Full Version : Homeward Bound

Undergoose
07-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Finally packed and ready to head for home!

You've probably noticed I've been a little scarce (well, for me, anyways) on the forums the last few days. It's been a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money getting everything ready for the trip, but I'm finally about there.

I had to repack the van and trailer three times to get the weight down to something manageable. I gave away a BUNCH of stuff that I thought I'd have room for. It was amazing how fast stuff disappears when you set it at the end of the driveway with a 'Free Stuff!' sign on it. Toward the end I had a guy volunteer to come get anything I was giving away in return for also hauling trash and recyclables to the bins for me, which was a big help.

Getting the new tires installed this a.m., and I'm going to have the shocks looked at (you'll notice I'm sitting a little low in the nether region in the picture). I'll probably stay one more night in the hotel to catch up on sleep and get final ends tied up and some more sorting between the van and trailer.

I'm pretty good on load balance on the trailer and should be well under the 3800 pounds that the van is rated for. I gave away all my heavy stuff that can be replaced, aside from several hundred pounds of art supplies. Until I get out of the East, my biggest worry is managing the heat in the van to keep from melting a bunch of pencils, crayons or degrading tubes of paint. It's been pretty hot here during the day, something I won't miss at all. Can't wait to get back home where there's some shade between 9 am and 8 pm.

Once I get on the road, I'll post some updates. I'm currently planning on heading out on highway 80, and I'm looking around for nifty stuff to stop and get photos of. I'm trying to make this a vacation adventure instead of my normal hurryupandgetitoverwithdangit thing. :p

Bones is ready to hit the road, I've got his bed all set up and he'll be riding very comfortably on his poofy-perch across the country. There's a whole country full of cats and squirrels that are in for a good woofing and glaring. :lol:

Gas prices are actually pretty low right now, too, which is nice!

Anyways, back to those few loose ends, then road time!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2013/1234321-ReadyForHome.jpg

CharM
07-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Travel safely, Karl! :wave:

LynnM
07-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Bon Voyage!

virgil carter
07-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Best wishes and safe travel, Karl. Post some in-transit photos if you can.

Sling paint,
Virgil

painterbear
07-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Have a safe, comfortable, and interesting trip, Karl. Glad you have your boon companion Bones along to keep you company. It's a shame he doesn't have a driver's license though. ;)

Bon voyage.

Sylvia

WthrLady
07-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Wait! I've missed what's going on. Someone fill me in. Where's he going? Safe travels Karl!

villagernb
07-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Good luck, Karl! Travel safely! Your setup looks good to go. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Cheers, Anne

olliewood0702
07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Karl, I didn't know you were moving either. SAFE TRAVELLING with Bones. YEs, take lots of pics. Your set-up looks TERRIFIC!

Antiqueteacher
07-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Karl, blessing on you and Bones to your destination with traveling mercies!! Keep us posted!!

Katherine

WthrLady
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
(I'm on I-80) where are you and where are you going?
I missed the whole moving story!

LynnM
07-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Read his first posthere (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316166), Caryl.

WthrLady
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks Lynn. WOW that's quite the trip! GOOD travels Karl.

Yorky
07-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Safe journey Karl, keep us in touch en route.

Doug

Dragoon
07-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Aww, cute guy and dog who likes art...why can't you be moving to Canada?...
;)

Have a safe and enjoyable adventure/trip!!
Cheers,
D.

laudesan
07-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Woot!!!!! An adventure!!!!!!

I am packed and ready to go! :p

Seriously, I am going to love going on your journey with you. Take care, Stay safe. Keep those camera batteries charged!! :thumbsup:

Saint Ragdoll
07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Safe trip and post when you can to let us know how things are going with you.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

oCDs01-711
07-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Photos of your trip would be great! Be safe!

Shirley:wave:

rickyhpierre
07-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Take care and have fun!
Ricky

Undergoose
07-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Made it, pulled in last night around 5:30 to Port Townsend, WA! Good to be home, trip went well, got a little hairy going from Idaho to Oregon, but made it through (920 miles in one day was a bit much with the trailer in high winds and big hills).

Just started unpacking and got hooked back up to the Internet, took about 1000 pics on the trip that I have to sort through, then I'll post the them along with some interesting stories and happenings. :p

Still unwinding and resting up, left arm and face got sunburned through the window going through Iowa and Nebraska - nowhere to hide from the sun and was trying to avoid using the air conditioning to save fuel. Averaged 13.4 MPG for the whole trip, not bad for pulling the trailer uphill most of the way into head/side winds.

More to come...

oCDs01-711
07-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Undergoose,

So glad you're safe and took pictures!:clap:

Shirley:wave:

Yorky
07-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Good to hear you arrived safely Karl.

I am really looking forward to your trip report and photos.

What an adventure!

Doug

Antiqueteacher
07-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Karl, you are there!! Wheee!! Yes, when you are rested, let us hear the tales and see the pictures!!

Katherine

villagernb
07-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Glad you and Bones have arrived home safely, Karl.

If the price of gasoline is rising in the US the way it has this week in Canada, you've made it home just in time!

I am also looking forward to your photos and stories.

Get your rest and take care of that sunburn!

Cheers, Anne

laudesan
07-15-2013, 02:30 AM
...... took about 1000 pics on the trip that I have to sort through, then I'll post the them along with some interesting stories and happenings. :pYes - Yes Yes - Yes Yes - Yes :thumbsup: :clap:

Glad you made it home safe and sound!!

painterbear
07-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Happy Homecoming, Karl.

Now you can relax for a bit and unwind after that looooooooong journey across country.

Looking forward to seeing your photos and reading about your adventures. :D

Sylvia

StewGold
07-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Welcome home. Looking forward to the photos. My birthday treat one March in Iowa was a day out barnspotting, in the snow.

Your poor truck, all worn out from miles and miles. Some years ago the American girlfriend went to buy a "new" Honda SUV. After all the paperwork we opened the bonnet/hood in the showroom and I replaced the fuel management board with the European one. Salesman was convinced it would explode. Went from 21 MPG to 34 MPG. Much worrying about anti-American activities. "Not using gas, you'll be jailed" Or "You'll not be able to climb mountains in the car" You've just driven through Iowa, how'd you do spotting mountains?

Have fun sorting out the trailer, Leslie

Saint Ragdoll
07-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Glad to hear your trip went well. Looking forward to the pics and travel tales.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll