PDA

View Full Version : Julia and Da Vinci

markr
09-14-2003, 04:01 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-14-2003/26982_davinciandjulia2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Julia and Da Vinci
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Pen/Ink
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Drawn one day in feb. Did the Da Vinci head in the morning with coffee, and Julia in the evening with beer.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The usual ... I think I 'm posting this to try and push working from the masters. Not too sure.

HRobinson
09-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Come on... there must be more to this. Pretzels perhaps?

The harder outlines on her indicates that there was something that had to be emphasized. Or not.

-Harry

mcknight
09-14-2003, 01:55 PM
What did you learn from doing this?

markr
09-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by mcknight
What did you learn from doing this?
When I first saw this question I thought I would never know how to answer it. I thought I'd say something like I'm too spread out, working on too many different pieces to know what I'm getting or where I'm getting it.
But, now at 4:45 am ... I think it's about approaching the masters in a straightforward and honest way. I had teachers in college who said "but he was an immortal" referring to Da Vinci, Vermeer, Picasso (who does not even fit in), etc. But these guys are not immortals, they ARE dead now. They were men / or women who lived and painted with extraordinary sensitivity.
I had no idea, that morning, doing that head on the right, that I would try to do one worthy of it on the left the same evening. But that's the kind of the lesson that was waiting for me.
WHY NOT?! WHY NOT ME?! WHY NOT US?! Living more than 500 years later ... we can and should put ourselves right up against this measure and try to take it to the next level. A daunting task no? But possible. I feel like it's out there waiting for us to take it, and now it's up to us to do so.
Thanks,
Mark