PDA

View Full Version : After the 4th and a New painting...

alangraham
07-07-2013, 11:26 AM
A lot to tell everyone concerning my adventure of 3 days at a local july 4th fair.

To be short, the venue was just OK and I was outta place, but I did sell 2 paintings! However, I had some BAD weather related issues on the first day-- the next post will explain in further detail. Suffice to say, the wind was not kind :(.

Also, I finished this piece up the night before the 4th. It's 36x48 and just massive. A real eye catcher. It's somewhere in between a Rothko and a Newman inspired piece, but just awesome to view in person. A ton of folks stopped to gaze!

alangraham
07-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Here is the Red piece on the easel. So many folks stopped to see it!

lora_ine
07-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Great job!

davefriend
07-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I like the street scene. It has a very patriotic small town anywhere feeling although it seems dark in the photo. Glad you were able to survive the 3 day event with only minor damage.

Congratulations on your sales and Which of your paintings sold? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jon
07-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I did sell 2 paintings!Great!

I like the street scene. It has a very patriotic small town anywhere feeling..Exactly my thinking when I viewed it, Dave.

abstractca
07-07-2013, 02:34 PM
I like how the red one turned out..the white works well!
Glad to hear you sold two!!

Katie Black
07-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Cory, Congrats on selling two pics...the weather does play a factor in sales..so good job!

alangraham
07-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks all :). On my phone sowill comment in more depth later. I sold the street painting and the gray and red abstract with the black line!

jimwhalen
07-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Cory, your exhibit looked awesome. Congrats on the sales!

alangraham
07-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks again everyone for the comments and congrats, I really appreciate it :clap:

So, here is some more in depth info--

I would just like to say it was a very fast, and wild adventure with little sleep, a ton of sun, some sales, and really good conversations (plus I met a really cute gal and I hope she contacts me :) ).

The location my booth was placed in was both good and bad. Good as it was in a great locale where many folks walked by. Bad because the locale was located really far from the other similar vendors, plus I was in direct sunlight and bad wind. Basically, from noon to about 5 the sun baked my tent and I could barely keep work out to show. Every 20 minutes I would move things so as they would not get to hot. Suffice to say, for about 5 hours it was pointless for me to be there. However as night came and I could use lamps and lights, my work looked amazing! That's when folks started stopping and commenting. From around 8 to 11 or so everything was perfect.

Bad weather did strike on the first day as, due to my locale and placement I was directly above the parks amphitheater. So, it was 30 feet higher than the bulk of the booths so the wind was horrid. Around 4 to 5 the wind went from 5mph up to 15mph! A giant gust came in, ripped a part my 4 walls, and knocked down about 5 paintings. It happened so fast I was in shock and stunned. It was the type of situation where I just did not know what to do. At this point I was so upset I just said screw it and began taking everything down. Thankfully (after a frantic phone call to my dad) he and his church's pastor showed up to help me secure everything. Everything was buttoned down and closed by 7 and I decided to call it a day even though the place was packed and I missed out on prime selling time. I should have stayed, but I was really upset as the paintings that fell and got scratched and banged up.

Anyhow, the next two days went better and by Saturday I made my first sale (the downtown city painting). Two ladies walked in, saw it, and instantly bought it which stunned me but also it really got my spirits up. The sale was enough to cover the booth space so at least I knew I would break even. That night everything looked just amazing as I had lamps everywhere. A lady saw my abstract landscape piece (black line, gray sky, red ground), approached me and we made a deal on it. I was asking $200, but we settled on $150.

So, I think most of all, my confidence was really boosted and not just by the sales. On Saturday so many folks stopped and commented that I was feeling really great. Such a wonderful feeling to share my work when usually it justs sits in my room.

:)

brighteye76
07-08-2013, 10:43 AM
This is great!!! I've been thinking of doing a small local exhibit, but not sure if I'm emotionally ready. I know I just need to suck it up, but it's soooooo scary to me. I know, I know, but that's me. I figure when I'm ready ill just do it.

I'm so excited you sold!! I'm sure the people who bought them will enjoy them for years to come. Who knows, maybe your great grands will see one on Antique Road Show one day worth a ton!! Hehe.

Katie Black
07-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Cory...Bad luck with your placement and the weather...but it sounds like it all worked out in the end..next time maybe things will go a bit smoother! :)

fiddleplayer
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Nice job, Cory. I probably would have folded up my tent as well, but you came back and boy is that inspiring!

alangraham
07-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks again everyone!

Brighteye-- Yes, it's scary but it's not that bad. Of course I would rather be alone in my studio painting, but it is very rewarding showing off your art. Even more so when someone buys. Plus, each time you publicly display yourself with your art the easier it becomes. The only time I really get nervous or stressed is during the setup, and other artists who may stop and chat.

Fiddleplayer-- I left early on the 4th after closing up everything. I was so frustrated and upset I had to get outta there. It was not the best moment in my life, but the next two days made up for it! :)

birdhs
07-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Congrats on the sales, always good news.

I have not yet done a show, so all the stories of adventures is always helpful

thanx for sharing

greggo

alangraham
07-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Greggo, have an art show!

This was the 8th time or so I've shown my work in public. Each time I am growing and becoming better so am always excited to do another. I think we should all get out there and do a show, but it's nerve wracking. I'm sure I'll be recovering all this week :)

AddiesArt
07-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Cory Alan, they should all sell, they're wonderful pieces, you just need to get the right people at the right time. Congrats on the two sales!

alangraham
07-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks so much Addies :)

Vasili
07-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Congrats on the sales!

I have a show coming up this weekend. Hopefully, I can make a few sales.

Looks like you had a good time and it's always nice to sell something.

ShaunGa
07-11-2013, 01:03 AM
:)

alangraham
07-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks Vasili and Shaun.

Vasili-- I did have a good time after the first day. Good luck on your own show!