PDA

View Full Version : July 7 - July 13, 2013, Weekly Challenge for Oil Pastel Forum

Flycatcher10
07-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi everybody, welcome to the OP Weekly Challenge – this thread is open to all artists as an opportunity for artists to expand their creative talents using oil pastels :clap: .
Each Sunday a new thread for the week will be posted with three new words to base your inspiration for paintings or sketches.

The rules are simple:
· your art can either be a sketch or a painting,
· Oil Pastels must make-up 75% of the painting, the rest can be mixed media (watercolor, acrylics, oils, oil sticks/bars and water solubles, etc.),
· let us know the surface and size of your piece,
· to foster creativity, we’ll post three words for you to base your painting/sketch. Please feel free to paint one piece with all three words, or create one painting using one word, or paint three pieces w/one representing each word – paint as many as you’d like, as long as a painting represents one of the words. The choice is all yours.
· you’re free to post a"WIP", either to show us your progress or if you need help and advice.

July 7 - July 13, 2013, Weekly Challenge for Oil Pastel Forum

Let your imagination take over and enjoy! The three words for the weeks' challenge are:

RED

PAIL

HAPPY

Pat Isaac
07-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks Mary for this next round of wonderful words. When I can get back to my studio, I'll participate.
Enjoy looking at everyone's ideas.

Pat

RainySea
07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Wow, this week went fast. . . I was going to try the other word from last week and finally found a subject I thought would work. Might still do it anyway.

Thanks for this week.

Yannse
07-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I am learning Decas. I paint this red ballet dancer today by the chance. It is on wood board, 8x10in. Mungyo and Reeves oil oil pastl. :heart: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2013/1111142-image.jpg

gakinme
07-08-2013, 03:55 AM
Jiemin, very nice leap in the air pose. Full of life and the flurry of her dress gives it lift.

From the reference library.

Mungyo oil pastel
Fabriano Artist Journal 6x9 inch
Chinese brush and sumi ink

It's red here and there. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2013/86669-rooster01.jpg

Flycatcher10
07-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi Jiemin, wow what a great way to get this week started! Great energy and movement coming from this painting! Fantastic ballerina, beautiful use of reds. I love her body form, it's elegant with beautiful long lines - just wonderful. Great lift and because you positioned her so well in the air her tutu is gorgeous in it's form - light, airy and I'm loving the breaks of color you have from reds, oranges and pinks. The bodice lace is very well done, as are the arm straps. Fabulous painting!

Hi Sandra, wow you are so funny! Love the reds and I do see them on the proud hen-head it was a great use of color. I really like the head-dress, those feathers are so fluffy and beautifully textured. What a fantastic stare, those eyes have me.

You guys are fast!

Yannse
07-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks!Mary. ;)
Sandra, It is very happy to watch your paintings. You paintingsalways funny and have good mood . I like it!

Pat Isaac
07-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Jeimin, what a wonderful ballerina....so full of life. Your paintings always have so much energy. Really like the background.
Sandra, what a fun rooster....looks like he's rolling his eyes at everything.

Pat

mirizar
07-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Jiemin, love all the colors and dynamics of your ballerina.

Sandra, love your rooster.

Doobi
07-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Hi everyone,

I tried to combine the 3 words in my painting. Is the sea looking very dark?
The picture has come little slanted actually the horizon is straight.

Cheers,
Doobi

Pat Isaac
07-10-2013, 08:55 AM
I love how you combine all 3 words. Plaing in the sand is definitely a happy place, as is the beach and ocean. The wave behind the sand castle bothers me a little, looks like it will crash over the castle. You have portrayed all the elements nicley.

Pat

Flycatcher10
07-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey Doobi, cool to see all three words your painting! This works really nicely as a summertime theme - I like all your symbols that you'd find along the beach, this works. I love the chair, umbrella and sand castle - these are so well done. And your sky and cloud structure reminds me of a dreamy hot summer day!

The water is a bit too dark in the middle-ground. Consider that it reflects the sky and with the cloud cover you're going to find the middle section of the ocean would be a bit grayer and leaving at the horizon line the value range of blue you already have.

Doobi
07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Thx Pat and Mary. Mary thanks for the tip. I am quite a fan of your gorgeous seascapes.

Flycatcher10
07-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi Doobi, thank you for your special compliment - means a lot. Thank you so much. I have a long ways to go in learning and experiencing the sea as a painter. Not living near the ocean any longer has me using more and more of my memory to recall atmosphere and those things that make the sea call out to us. Photographs are great beginnings for me and then my imagination forces it's way forward onto the surface.

Here is a quick sea tutorial I did on one of my paintings called, Washing Ashore. Notice that it's a close-up of a wave rather the full shoreline. But it still lets you see how I build the OPs layers and scene. I didn't really do an underpainting wash on this one - rather layed out shapes and lines. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1044382 Let me know if you have any questions.

You're going to succeed in painting seascapes because you are putting the time into painting them - that's exactly how I learned. No books on painting seascapes in oil pastels, so I interpreted other medium instructions for painting the sea and adapted as best as I could with OPs.

I'm thrilled to see what you are doing! :thumbsup:

Doobi
07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Mary thanks a lot! This is a great tutorial. You should publish a book. The step by step pictures were very helpful to understand. Will try out more seascapes when I get time which is only in the weekend.

gakinme
07-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Doobi, very cute combination of all the elements. Very lively waves.

Classic Cachet black sketchbook 5x7 inch

Left elephant is prismacolor pencil, the pails and right side are dollar store oil pastel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2013/86669-op_elephant.jpg

Flycatcher10
07-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Perfect Sandra! Love how you captured these beautiful beasts - their graceful walking posture, bulky bodies and wonderful swishing tail. Love how you mimicked wrinkles and great use of red! :thumbsup:

Nice combination of words.

I was unable to work on mine this past week, will try today or tomorrow and post. :o

Pat Isaac
07-14-2013, 05:50 PM
These work so wonderfully on the black paper and you have their gesture perfectly.

Pat

Flycatcher10
07-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Oil Pastel, 6x6
Gray Pastel Paper

Sorry this is so late - here is my painting for the word "Red." C&C are welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2013/974094-DSCN3895.JPG

Pat Isaac
07-16-2013, 04:03 PM
I like the use of the complements and a hint of red in the shadow.

Pat

Flycatcher10
07-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks Pat - I really enjoyed painting this one. It took about 1 maybe 1 1/2 hours with time flying by. Can't believe it, but I used Senneliers for the entire thing - I've never used this much in Senns before but I'm starting to develop a real liking for them with pastel paper.

Only thing I might change is the stem - a little too thick.

Anyways, glad I got this one behind me. On to 'Pink.'

gakinme
07-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Very nice, Mary. I couldn't stop looking at the shine. It makes the apple so much more realistic. And I like the blue shadow too.

Flycatcher10
07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi Sandra, thanks very much. The shine was done with Mungyo - Gallery pale gray, even though it's coming through as white on my screen.

gakinme
07-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the tip, Mary. I'll remember the gray next time.