PDA

View Full Version : Daily Wash Sunday 7th July 2013

Scene Chaser
07-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Good Day All,
Geoff, where are you?
I hope you're getting some sleep.
I'm on my way to bed.
A new sleeping remedy is a slice of whole grain toast (spelt) with almond butter covered with slices of banana and sprinkled with cinnamon. Hope it works.
See you in my morning,
Bill

LynnM
07-07-2013, 12:15 AM
I think it's Sunday, Bill, you are already sleepy! I'm a night owl tonight, but off to bed in a moment.

You have very militant pigeons, Geoff, there's a painting there I think. But they did recognize that it was something they didn't want...you must have modelled it well :)

Yes, Anne, it was their little bit of heaven, although Mum hated it when the wind was up. She had a little cabin as a studio, and always had a beautiful garden, despite the sandy soil. I was away at university mostly, but got to have weekends and holidays there.

No apologies necessary, Doris, I was enjoying the thought of you careening down the river!

See you in the morning....

shipbroker
07-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Morning all,

If you are going to jpin the Premier League of Wash Starters Bill youust get the day and date right.....otherwise you get rude noises from Oz or NZ!!

I won't mention the Rugby to Oz today though

Already warm here and supposed to be hotter than yesterday, another day for doing little?

Back later

geoff

Yorky
07-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Well, it's Sunday Bill :lol:

Going to be HOT again today. Just as well we'll be indoors watching the tennis. After a trip to the paper shop and supermarket that is.

I'm happy with my trumpet demo, turned out better than expected for a quick sketch.

Lol about the owl Geoff, takes something to defeat the darned pidgeons. Maybe a stuffed cat? :)

Doug

shipbroker
07-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Stuffed cats Doug, must be loads of them out there!

geoff

doppler
07-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Don't care about the day Geoff. Guess you got too excited. NO don't mention the rugby. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So early/ late for you Bill. You did what the British and Irish Lions did to our poor little wallabies.:rolleyes: Ate them for breakfast. Wallaby on toast. :eek:

Geoff, re your rampant pigeons, a friend related a story about bower birds when we first moved here. He loves tamarillo tree tomatoes. Grew a few to fruiting and then noticed the bower birds pecking off the fruit. the fruit was larger than even their hungry beaks and gullets and the skin too tough. . No matter, the birds would peck them off the tree, the native rats would scoff some on the ground eating the skin and the bowers were in with a vengeance with the rest. Isn't symbiosis wonderful? :lol: Him ... I'll get an old bicycle tyre and paint eyes on it and drape it across the tree. SNAKE!!! Thirty minutes of terror and one brave soul threw it out of the tree. Let the feast renew.

OK wiser, he found really flexible black tubing, at the dump of course :rolleyes: , and painted and melded the lot to look like a carpet python in reality. he draped it through his trees and watched the cacophony of all birds, not just bower birds, screaming at it. After half an hour he noticed cocked puzzled heads and then a squadron of bower birds toss it and then got stuck into the fruit.

He pollards his trees now and nets them.

Doris!!! Why confess??? :angel: It does sound WONDERFUL canoeing down a lovely stream. OK you get into trouble and have step out into to the swirling one foot waters? My sort of place :thumbsup: IT still makes me admire you. Such a lovely holiday. :thumbsup:

Hi Lynn.

Karl, you live a beautiful place. All power.:heart:

Doug, cut the jokes about stuffed cats :angel: Please.

Mine will be soon but with food and warmth and love.:cool: both inside because we ran flagellum dei to dei. Goon show line. Took down the tree dahlias, snipped and tidied up stuff, Roger did unwarranted pruning IMO of the passion fruit daisy which I love but he hates. Won't be able to kill that by pruning. raspberry canes down, after a bit of a yummy feast. have to cut them now for next years yummy feast.

Winter here but temps more like spring .

BBl

laudesan
07-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Quiet day here........... Yay!!!

GDespicable Me2!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2013/20514-IMG_0177.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2013/20514-IMG_0179.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2013/20514-IMG_0178.jpg

Bill, many of our stores are dimming down their lights... I like it much better because I also think the fluorescent lighting bothers my eyes.
I love your book!!:thumbsup: Please get your eyes checked for cataracts that is a sigh, bright fluoro lights. :heart:

Good looking Cherry pie!!!! Cute frog and beautiful Balloon Flowers, Sylvia.

Geoff, maybe there pigeon deterrents (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defender-Bird-Pigeon-Gutter-Spikes/dp/B007OURU34) would work.

I won't mention the Rugby to Oz today though

Rugby, what rugby. :confused: never heard of the game.. :p

Anne I love your new driveway!!!!!!
We shovel the driveway ourselves in the winter (with snow scoops)-- you're welcome anytime, JJ.
Send me my air fair and you are on! :thumbsup: :clap:

Doris, the adventurer. Take it anyway you can get it girl!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :clap:

:wave:

Love, hugs, healing vibes..

Ellen in Ont
07-07-2013, 06:19 AM
:wave: everyone,
After the first two really warm days so far this summer, today is raining with a high of 8. :o At least I'll be at work all day. I'm feeling a little under the weather with a bit of a cough feeling like its trying to develop into a chest cold. Hope I make it through the day.

Gotta run. Have a great one.

shipbroker
07-07-2013, 06:53 AM
JJ...Good idea but I would need nearly 20 metres and that is tooooooo much money!

geoff

Scene Chaser
07-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Well, it was Saturday when I posted. :lol:

Bill

CharM
07-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Good morning! Cloudy and warm, we're expecting more showers this afternoon. Rain, rain go away.

We attended a retirement party for one of Ted's colleagues yesterday afternoon. The weather held until early evening when the sky opened up and the rain literally teemed down! We did have the protection of an enclosure, but the rain effectively sent most people home.

We were planning to go to a Lavender Festival at a local farm today, but the weather will decide for us.

Doris... they say confession is good for the soul... I chuckled at yours... especially the image of your having to vacate the canoe to get free of the rocks...

Sylvia, your pie is picture perfect and I'd bet money it tasted great! Loved the photos of your balloon flowers.

Bill, did your sleep remedy work well? I use almond butter to make gluten free cookies.

Lynn, your parents home sounds heavenly, indeed! I used 140# Arches paper. After affixing the outside covering (I used contact paper), I slit two small lines into the cardboard. I slipped the elastic ends through to the inside of the cover and glued down the elastic ends. When that was dry, I glued a cover paper over the inside cover to hide the ends. The spine cover is duck tape! :lol:

Geoff, your pigeons are determined to roost where they want to roost... :lol: I always marvel at the veracity of the little birds who attack the hawks and vultures in our area... Stuffed cats? Eeeeuuuww...

Doug, I peeked at your trumpet demo but didn't comment yet (came here first)... It sure looks like nice shiny metal...

:lol: :lol: Annie, it would never have occurred to me to make phony snakes! :lol:

JJ, a quiet day is a good thing... you could probably go through a lot of these little books.

((Ellen)) I sure hope you're not getting a cold!

So, Bill... did your remedy work??????

I wonder how the Cooks Island crew are making out... and I'm blasting lots of positive energy to (((Lyn)))... ((Henry and Lesley)) are also on my mind...

Have yourselves the very best possible Sunday... :heart:

Scene Chaser
07-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Char, the sleep remedy definitely helped. I will try it again tonight.
Your book, BTW, is gorgeous.

Bill

laudesan
07-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Char, I have a book shelf full of sketchbooks :lol: I must admit, I do love sketching..

Bed time whil eit is still Sunday eh. :P

:wave:

shipbroker
07-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Stuffed cats? Eeeeuuuww

Anyone want to send me some???

Oddly enough we have cats either side of us ( thats another long story) and they prefer to stay under our trees and hijack the wrens, blue tits and blackbirds and never try for pigeon as a main course.....

geoff

LynnM
07-07-2013, 10:11 AM
:wave: Sun and birds here, lovely now but will feel like 32C later with the humidity. I'm making an eggplant dip to take to a pot luck this afternoon. We are meeting at a friend's pond for barbeque, lovely spot surrounded by conservation land....possibly a swim although I am not a fan of most pond bottoms. So I'd better get busy. Ants are somewhat under control, will get the big guns in tomorrow.

Thanks for the info re book Char. Lavender farm sounds interesting. We have one near us too, I want to get some of their honey, as it will have local antigens in it (supposed to help with one's allergies), but it is pretty pricy.

Thinking of Lyn and Henry and Lesley :grouphug:

Speaking of rugby, I finally saw some results by doing some research online....all the 7's games from Russia were on a channel I don't get, and the sports news never mentions it. Glad to see both the men and the women did pretty well, men were only defeated by NZ (although they didn't get to the final, they did get the plate), and the women were in the final, also against NZ, what a powerhouse that country is!

Lovely story of the 'snakes' Annie! I think the term 'bird brain' is a misnomer.

I hope your mum's eye settles down, Pat, it's amazing how our brains adjust to new lenses, internal or external. Looking forward to seeing your new portrait.

Hi JJ, Geoff, Doug, Ellen and all to come, have a rewarding day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

FLNH
07-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Atmospheric,muggy day in NH. We have already been food shopping and my very special oxymoronic meal tonight.....Italian cold cut subs with no meat. I do all the cooking and my wife is on a low salt diet but we like very spicy food. On my subs I use multiple kinds of hot peppers, goat cheese, herbs, olive oil,vinegar...with all that flavor I,decided to,leave out the meat.

Anne...your driveway is very inviting. My constant companion, Skye, is a 10 lb black poodle.

Char, your sketch book is a work of art. I have recently purchased a few sketch books in the hope I will use them. Much the same as I have purchased exercise equipment in the hope I will exercise more. I have this total belief that the acquisition of said merchandise will achieve a positive result by the mere purchase of it...be it sketch books or weights. I fear this may not be the case in the real world.

Geoff....if you can get rid of the pigeons, perhaps you can help with my Canada geese. I love my human neighbors to the north...but the geese really make my lawn unwalkable. And they are a protected species.

I will probably start an Iceland picture today. I've never used burnt sienna so I am very excited. Only people who paint can understand the excitement in using a new pigment.

((()Leslie and Henry))). And all who need a little extra good thoughts today.

WthrLady
07-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Good morning all :D

Company still here. You know the routine. Nothing to do, no where to go, everyone is board. Counting the days until peace returns so I can paint. They all have their own disasters to go home to.

Steamy, WINDY, and hot on the edge of the Great Plains.

Looking forward to the youth cattle show later this week.

Geoff - I use tangle foot gel on the birds perches. They don't like sticky and it's sticky! Also pidgeon wire. It attaches simply and has wire at all odd "up" angles, giving no where for the birds to rest. Good luck to you.

I've spent the past week knocking down new swallow nest start ups.

painterbear
07-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just past 11:30 a.m. here in drizzling again Oakwood. Larry got his run in, but wanted to mow the grass which is now too wet to do. :o

Had a great trip to the grocery store because they are now stocking locally grown veggies. :D Picked up green beans which we'll have cooked together with potatoes and a little olive oil, pancetta, and garlic to go with our roasted St. Louis-style spare ribs. Also got fresh zucchini and yellow squash for later in the week. I love being able to get veggies that are so fresh as well as support the local farmers who are growing them. They taste soooo darn good.

Putting the red on my boat that is reflecting its color into the water. Still happy with it. :crossfingers:

Bill, Don't feel bad about putting the wrong day on the thread...it isn't very often we people on this side of the ocean get the chance to start the Daily Wash, so a mistake is understandable. ;) Glad your sandwich before bed helped with the sleep, it sounded tasty too.

Char and Lynn, Yummmmm, honey made from the lavender flowers sounds like it would be a real treat. We try to get locally grown honey when we find it because we heard it is healthier for you with the local pollens that are in it.

Ellen, Get plenty of rest today and fight off that cough. Hope you feel better soon.

Hoping people feel better, I'm send white light and healing vibes to Henry's Lesley and Lyn in Tennessee.

:wave to all who were here before me and to all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

shipbroker
07-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Geoff, air rifle = Pigeon pie

Henry

I have the caravan engineer around here this afternoon ( Sunday!) and thats exactly what he has suggested..........worth a thought perhaps

Caryl, we used to use that gel on an office I worked in which had flat window ledges and it really did work well...not so sure on guttering though.

Karl. Canada Geese are everyones nuisance, we get them on the golf course and what a smelly mess they leave.

Still ultra hot here....Eileen watching Wimbledon and I'm cooling off after chatting to the caravan man..

geoff

WthrLady
07-07-2013, 01:01 PM
we used it on the gutters on base and the downslope metal edging on the shed roof, it's like silicone caulking that never dries....bwahahaaaa

WthrLady
07-07-2013, 01:02 PM
The other item is offically called bird spikes.

shipbroker
07-07-2013, 01:41 PM
One of the adjoining farms has had bird scarers working today and there has been some relief here.......

Caravan fridge now working again!!

geoff

Scene Chaser
07-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Hard to believe the Canada Geese were once near extinction. In 1970 there were only 9,000 in Michigan. Now they number over 300,000. Hunting season is from September to March. I don't hunt.

Better be a good shot, Geoff, or there could be glass breakage. :)

Bill

Yorky
07-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Better be a good shot, Geoff, or there could be glass breakage.
Bird seed will help your aim :lol: :evil:

Doug

CharM
07-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Home again, between the rain drops. We went out to the Lavender Festival despite the weather and were blessed with a few minutes of sunshine. A very young couple began this farm just 10 years ago. They produce a variety of lavender based products from their operation and the tour was fascinating. Also, there were a few vendors there with natural products such as soaps, lotions and some locally grown food. A few crafts (of course) rounded out the tents.

This couple just started bee keeping this year. They took my name and will contact me when the honey is processed. It'll be unpasturized and completely organic.

On the way to town, two families of wild turkeys crossed our path on the road... The Toms had fully fanned their tails and it was a beautiful sight to see.

Living on this little lake, you can just about imagine the nuisance of the Canada geese and the Trumpeter swans... But, their total absence is not something I want to happen either.

The train derailment in Quebec is horrific and my prayers are with those families who've lost so much...

Karl, I love the notion of non-meat subs!

Geoff, our cats don't hunt bigger birds, either... songbirds... :mad: And muskrats... and chipmunks... :mad: Glad your caravan fridge is working... this has been an expensive year for your trailer!

Sylvia, don't you wish we could get freshly grown local produce all year!

Bill, I think that (sadly) the geese have become something of a problem due to over population.

We have company coming for dinner, so I'm off to get my salads made.

kaypainter
07-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Posting from iPad so will make it a quick one. Started reading yesterday's wash as I knew I hadn't read it. Realized I had no idea what anyone was talking about so went back to Friday and realized I hadn't read that either. Finally caught up.

Had a migraine again yesterday. What does that make? Two in one week? It's been so long since I had any I was beginning to think maybe they wouldn't come back. Oh well.

Belated happy birthday to Janet, Bill.

((((((Lyn))))))))

(((((((Lesley))))))))

Lynn ---- Diatomaceous earth. I believe it was Henry who suggested that for my flea problem, but it also works for ants and other bugs. Completely non-toxic. It's actually edible.

Forgotten what all I was going to say so I'll just :wave: :wave:

And HAWLTAIN!

Kay

villagernb
07-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Good Sunday afternoon, Washers! Very hot again today. Thunder clouds are piling up in the direction of Sainte Josephe, but that doesn't mean that we will necessarily get rain here. Sometimes it rains on the other side of the hills, in Pre D'en Haut, on the Petacodiac River side, but we don't get a drop!

Yes, Char, the train derailment in Quebec is a horrible disaster. My husband and son have often biked in that area. Our son is in Montreal right now, visiting friends before heading to Vancouver next week to get ready for the wedding.
The Lavender Festival sounds delightful. I have several plantings of lavender in different spots around the garden. It's not supposed to be cold hardy here, so I grow it in different areas just in case some don't survive the winter, I may still have plants in other locations.

JJ, when I win the Lottery, you will be my first invitee!:D

Bill and Geoff, I'm not sure if this is true, but I have heard that Canada Goose meat tastes terrible, so game hunters don't go for them.

Geoff, my brother lives on the top floor (27th) of an apartment building in Toronto, and pigeons on his balcony are a regular pain in the...(you know!) He uses one of those huge water guns that kids play with to drive them off the railings several times a day. You would have to close the conservatory windows though!:lol:

Henry, I have never eaten pigeon pie, but I'll try anything once!:p

Yay! It's raining! Hope we get more than a few drops!:crossfingers:

Doug, thanks for info on the Tour de France app. We will check that out. We did watch today's coverage. It was interesting! My husband, Don doesn't like to get so involved in watching the Tour that he misses good cycling weather himself, but it IS absorbing and when you love cycling as much as our family does, you can't help but get excited about it. Don and our son discuss that day's Stage every evening. It's one of the things that keeps the two of them close!:)

Lynn, have fun at the BBQ! Sounds like fun!
A million years ago, when I worked for the Federal Government, I had a very kind co-worker who was from Vancouver Island. She talked about her home there all the time. She and her husband had kept their house there (they were renting it to someone) and they planned to retire there. She was counting down the months when I worked with her!

Karl, we are extremely fond of our neighbours' black standard poodle, Sophie. She is bilingual! She ignores instructions given in either official language!:lol: But we love her anyway. She always makes us smile!
Our two dear departed dogs, Madeline and Noddy, were Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Rain has stopped but it came down hard for a while. Now the sky is clearing and the sun is trying to come out. Gotta love the Maritimes! If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute and it will change!:thumbsup:

Suppertime!

Anne

Europa
07-07-2013, 04:04 PM
EVENING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Well what a BRILLIANT day for British tennis and more so the Scots - Andy Murray won the Wimbledon final....:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Got to watch most of it with my DS Jamie and his wife .....and I got fed and watered too....woohoo!!

77 years since it was last won by a Brit - Fred Perry - Murray so deserved to win - I wish I had put a bet on - I said he would win in three straight sets and he did - am soooo chuffed.

One point I learned - never watch a Wimbledon final with SWMBO....this was the conversation in the final minutes.....

Me - oh he only needs this next point...
(Djokovic point)

Mum - has he won

Me - no it's deuce..

Mum - so does he need the next one...

Me - no he needs two points now

Mum - i thought he only needed one point

Me - he did but it's deuce now so he needs two points.
(Next point )

Mum...so he needs two points..

Me...noooo he only needs one now

Mum...i don't understand...

Me....tell you what...just watch the game and when I jump up clapping and shouting he's done it....then you know he's won.

Thank God we weren't actually sat on centre court....lol

Hope everyone is doing ok - thinking of those not feeling well and my heart goes out to those in Canada and San Francisco caught up in those awful tragedies.

Waving to everyone :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

olliewood0702
07-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Hello everyone,

We've been having internet problems and we are getting tired of them sending technicians here to "fix the problem" only to have it acting up the very next day!:confused: Sheesh; it's getting frustrating. So if I disappear over the weekends it may mean no service.

We've had a nice long weekend, quiet but nice. Jen, Matt and the girls are on their way home now and I imagine they are running into heavy traffic; everyone from the Holiday heading back south.

It's rumbling out now and I expect a storm any minute. We had some rain last evening too.

Anne, what a GREAT job on the new re-cycled driveway. I think it'll last a good long time; good for you; you have a beautiful house too.:thumbsup:

Geoff, love the owl! Hope it works.

Char, that sketch book is adorable; your students will enjoy making one over the summer.

Sylvia, delicious looking cherry pie and that baby toad is cute. I too have a plant like that in my garden; it's all budded out ready to bloom. I loved that pic of you and Larry in the wash the other day.;)

Thinking of (((Henry and Lesley))):heart:

Dinner is almost done and I need to get it on the table. I just thought I'd try and see if I could get on here and VOILA...we have internet at least for now.

I hope you all have had a GREAT Sunday.:wave: :heart:

shipbroker
07-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Evening all. ....well it still is here

Didn't watch Wimbledon but obviously pleased he won....caravan repairs and tree lopping much more important,to me.

Actually went to the pub tonight and discussed pigeons....all felt the owl was doomed to failure as someone with a commercial hawk model had some result!!

Sleep well all.

geoff

villagernb
07-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Very happy for all of our British friends on Andy's win.

Don't party all night, now!

Anne

JudyL
07-07-2013, 08:52 PM
We had a nice visit with friends and family and the fireworks, only problem one of the friends was a bit free with "topping off" everyone's wine glasses.

So sad for the bicoastal crashes just awful!

Really glad for the Brit win at Wimbledon! I know they have been wanting that for years!

laudesan
07-07-2013, 10:28 PM
JJ, when I win the Lottery, you will be my first invitee!:D :D :thumbsup: