PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here draw/paint/create while high?

Pages : [1] 2

jkahless
09-14-2003, 01:30 AM
Well, the title pretty much speaks for itself. The poll in anonymous in case you do not want to admit anything that can be traced to you.;)

jkahless
09-14-2003, 03:47 AM
No comments?

Keith Russell
09-14-2003, 06:26 AM
Greetings:

I often have a drink in the evenings--sometimes more than one--and I have occasionally painted with a pretty decent 'buzz'.

I doubt that this is what you mean by 'high', though...

K

blkros
09-14-2003, 08:50 AM
I work in my attic--does that count?
:D

dodger
09-14-2003, 12:37 PM
I've tried to work when I was high... & it was crap. ;)

A slight buzz of alcohol isn't bad, but more than a couple, & I don't have the control I like... although I'm sure if I wanted to loosen up, that could be a way to do it.

I don't enjoy pot. It makes me vibrate. No other way to describe it. Not easy to hold a brush when you're vibrating. ;) And I got distracted way too easily... no focus.

belladonna
09-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Several times, but I never got past mixing colors and playing with the paint on the pallet... Acid and realism don't mix! (hey, it was the 70's :p) I must also add that I have seen some pretty nice stuff done on speed though. Kind of ‘ultimate doodle art’. (Again, way back in the 70's) ;) I heard that there were a few authors who wrote successfully under the influence of opium. Once again, it did me no good at all. *lol* I have a hard enough time painting when straight! Forget pot. Pot just puts me to sleep... A little brandy in my coffee is about all I can handle these days and still work.

Disclaimer: This post does not condone, encourage, or support the use of drugs for artistic enlightenment! :D

erik_satie_rolls
09-14-2003, 01:10 PM
I had to say yes, because I really do see caffeine as a powerful drug, and it can certainly make one high, much as benzedrine or dexedrine can. See my post here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87361&highlight=caffeine%20more)

Keith Russell
09-14-2003, 02:01 PM
erik, I agree that caffeine is a powerful drug--and, it seems, a necessary one for me.

But, caffeine doesn't make me what I would consider 'high'...

K

erik_satie_rolls
09-14-2003, 05:21 PM
From Merriam Websters Collegiate Dictionary

high: 12 (b) :INTOXICATED; also : excited or stupefied by or as if by a drug.

Yes, thats what it does to me. :)

Cathy Morgan
09-14-2003, 10:29 PM
2 cups of coffee in the morning for me, sometimes tea after that. Occasional beer or wine late afternoon or evening, but I'm not usually working then.

I remember reading that one of my favorite sculptors - can't remember if it was David Smith or Henry Moore - once had a party to test the effects of drinking alcohol on artwork. Everyone drank one beer after another, drawing as they went. The report was that the artwork steadily improved up through 6 beers, then declined drastically.

Of course, men handle alcohol differently than women, so I'd guess that for a woman it would be less - maybe 3 beers.

It would be a fun experiment, anyway. For the sake of science, of course....

jkahless
09-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Cathy Morgan
I remember reading that one of my favorite sculptors - can't remember if it was David Smith or Henry Moore - once had a party to test the effects of drinking alcohol on artwork. Everyone drank one beer after another, drawing as they went. The report was that the artwork steadily improved up through 6 beers, then declined drastically.

Of course, men handle alcohol differently than women, so I'd guess that for a woman it would be less - maybe 3 beers.

It would be a fun experiment, anyway. For the sake of science, of course....

I'm guessing it would radically change depending on many factors including body weight, ratio of body tissues, blood chemistry and such. Might be interesting to find out what the factors are that make someone a cheap drunk?

Keith Russell
09-15-2003, 01:46 AM
erik, definition twelve--b?

OK, which is it--excited, or stupified?

For me, it's simply a greater level of awareness, wakefulness, ability to concentrate...not what I'd consider 'excited'--

--certainly not 'stupified'!

K

dodger
09-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by jkahless
I'm guessing it would radically change depending on many factors including body weight, ratio of body tissues, blood chemistry and such. Might be interesting to find out what the factors are that make someone a cheap drunk?

Hehehe... yep, I'm a cheap drunk. ;) Three beers make me very happy.

Gar
09-16-2003, 02:00 PM
I don't get "high". It's illegal.;)

Saoirse
09-16-2003, 11:40 PM
i work under the influence of caffeine and nicotine; without them i am a zombie...but they don't make me 'high.'

but both beer and pot make me want to do the same thing: go to the nearest, darkest corner and neck. if my hubby is with me, not a problem...if he's not, well...let's just say i've done neither beer nor mj much outside the home in a long time.

tho when i was in Ireland for 10 weeks i drank more than in my entire previous life. thank goodness there were other women to talk craic to and keep me behaving....

West
09-17-2003, 01:12 AM
I used to produce work high, but I was fairly productive with it. I'd spend anywhere between 5-7 hours in my sculpture studio and then maybe another 7-9 hours or so doing animation.

One of my favourite works to date., my Sumo Baby (http://www.geocities.com/ukwest/baby.jpg) was conceived, planned and constructed stoned. I still think that maybe I could have made it better if I hadn't been smoking so much. But I'm fairly convinced a lot of the animation wouldn't have happened, hours and hours of moving figures frame by frame can take its toll on your patience.

I dont smoke anymore, and I hardly drink when I'm painting, I get too easily distracted. But nothing gets done at all without caffeine and nicotine ;)

O'Connor
09-17-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it is NOT, in fact, illegal to get high.

In most cases I believe it is illegal to sell illicit drugs, or to possess them with the intent to sell. In other cases there is a minimal amount for which you may be ticketed for possession, or for its use in public.

I think if you possess an amount below a minimum quantity in the privacy of your property and are not operating a motor vehicle, in many, if not most, states in the U.S., it is not illegal to get high.

I am, of course, referring to marijuana, not other substances.

It's definitely not illegal to possess toluene in huge amounts, and I've never heard of anyone ticketed or arrested for huffing it.

HUFFING IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS (The deliberate concentration and inhalation of chemical fumes).
I would warn anyone NOT TO DO IT!

While I've never known anyone arrested for sniffing glue, I did personally know a young man that died at 15 from huffing.

O'Connor
09-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Dope smoking, not unlike some other "substance entertainment", has a variable effect depending on other factors.

Sometimes my mind races with ideas, undistracted by the world around me.
Sometimes I can write some very good and funny scripts.
Sometimes the scripts are not funny at all the next day.

Sometimes I just fall down.

It's quite inconsistent, I would have to say.

Now a link and two cups of strong coffee, there's a killer combination that can turn out some unpredictable results.

The only consistent thing I can say about creating while stoned is that you don't do much clock-watching. This is good in a sense, as under other circumstances I might be tempted to check the time to see if I "should" go to bed.

Interpretation is looser and more open-minded, free-flowing.
Frequently, though, motor skills are eroded.

Pilan
09-17-2003, 11:50 PM
I'd have to say the results can be pretty dang rough. When I have burnt another hole in my stomach from too much pain medication then I smoke about 3 puffs. I am extremely cheap and easy high. About four sips of beer or wine and I am rather loose. It is few and far between because I don't necessarily like the out of control feeling. My head flails around like a bobble head :eek:. I never did. I'd just rather recuperate and go to bed and rest well than paint under the influence. It really takes the enjoyment away or at least for me it does in painting. I think I have mold on my bag because its about 4 yr old now. But then thats the way I think medical drugs should be. You take them only when you need them. If everyone would do that then maybe a lot more things would be legalized. But that discussion is probably better suited for the debates forum :p.

Originally posted by O'Connor
Dope smoking, not unlike some other "substance entertainment", has a variable effect depending on other factors.

Sometimes my mind races with ideas, undistracted by the world around me.
Sometimes I can write some very good and funny scripts.
Sometimes the scripts are not funny at all the next day.

Sometimes I just fall down.

It's quite inconsistent, I would have to say.

Now a link and two cups of strong coffee, there's a killer combination that can turn out some unpredictable results.

The only consistent thing I can say about creating while stoned is that you don't do much clock-watching. This is good in a sense, as under other circumstances I might be tempted to check the time to see if I "should" go to bed.

Interpretation is looser and more open-minded, free-flowing.
Frequently, though, motor skills are eroded.

blkros
09-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jkahless

Well my ex could drink me under the table (and I weren't no slouch--couple o' 6 packs were only a buzz).

ladywolf1
09-22-2003, 08:37 AM
*my cabin sits at 9000'.... does that count?
i start OFF high.... in spirit, at least....
add to that coffee, cig's and and sometimes a good white zin......
hummmm......

;)

Bendaini
09-22-2003, 12:04 PM
I have never done any drug, or even smoked a cigerette. My nefew once tried to give me a contact high, but I managed to stay away from him....

The worst I've done is guzzle 3-4 shots of brandy in about 15 seconds...

i was talking with a friend who smokes the other day. I said something like "I don't understand why anyone would allow themselves to be controlled by something like nicotine" in refrence to his smoking.

He said "Well, look at it this way... what are you addicted to?"

I thought for a moment.... then said "Well nothing, not really. Not unless you count the internet and I can pretty much live without that too, now"

He didn't have anything more to say on that subject.

And I still say the same thing... I don't understand how anyone, especialy after hearing how addictive the stuff (ciggerettes, crank, acid, whatever) is would stick that stuff in their bodies. But that's just me.

Andrew Rance
09-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Have never been 'high' in the sense I think you mean.

But I often have a glass or two of red wine when I paint - failing that a vodka & coke is a pleasant alternative. On the few occasions when I've attempted to paint whilst the worse for having had a drink, I haven't found it has affected my ability to paint significantly (either that means I have serious limitations as an artist, or I'm not drinking enough!).

I find its an enjoyable accompaniment to a pleasurable pastime (and take that whichever way round you like!).

savage om
10-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Ok, before I post this message, I would like to disclaim that I haven't done drugs in 6 years or so, and don't plan to ever again for the rest of my life.

I've done quite a bit of artwork while being 'high'. I think the drugs for mention in my discussion are barbituates (pills), marijuana, and LSD. I'll comment on the effect of each on my own artwork/creation process (that being sketching and painting).

Pills (downers)- typically had little merit towards art other than making it impossible to lose sleep over a project. I remember times when I would have a lot of momentum as I was creating, yawn, desire to stop for a minute to 'rest my eyes', then wake up several hours later with a half finished work, and pencil/paintbrush in hand.
Marijuana- actually had quite a bit of merit as artistic catalyst. The high from smoking it often times made me relatively sedate and 'robotic'----- very patient. There was also the fact that pot smokers tend to be social types, so it attracted groups of people. I'm not exactly sure how to describe why, but for me, groups of people/conversations fuel my art.
LSD-this was probably considered more of a challange than an actual benefit. Assuming I could keep my hands from shaking, my levels of exultation/paranoia under control, or manage to keep a firm grasp of reality in the first place, then I was left with a head full of bizarre ideas. I was more prone to creation by way of free association. There was also a skewed/morphed visual effect that the drug (my brain) provided- this also influenced the art.

nancymae
10-02-2003, 01:38 PM
I get high each time I see a beautiful space where to paint when I am out plein-airing. I guess plein aire painting gets me high....on life!!! Don't need any thing else!! Just give me a day...plant me outside with a handful of pastels or watercolors, a support..and I'm a happy camper!!!!

Nancy

acasto
10-03-2003, 05:15 AM
Well.... I'm Bipolar-I with ADHD, so I don't really need anything to get me floating out of reality. But I do get up in the morning, take my adderall and green tea extract with a can of RedBull, which then gets me to the local coffee shop for a large coffee with a few shots of espresso in it. I then proceed to stay up until 5am at which time I have to fight to get to sleep without benzos (xanax and klonopin) or other downers.

I have actually killed more works-in-progress than created due to mood swings. One minute it's looking fine, the next minute I coat it totally in grey and toss it out in the basement.

Sometimes I'll just decide to stay up for 30-40 hours on end and do things such as paint or work. It always raises a couple eyebrows when you turn in a timesheet with the whole weeks work in one span.

- Adam

Kalibabe
10-09-2003, 06:24 AM
For me, it would have to depend on the person.

I am a personal control freak... which means that I detest the feeling of loss of control. I HAVE in my younger days been drunk and hated the feeling. I have only once, ever had strong drugs, and that was during childbirth, and it was either that, or they threatened a caesarean....:eek: .
It scared me witless. I was imagining things, hearing things, seeing things. In my eyes, I went psychotic. I broke the bed, screamed and tried to escape.
I have to say if anything could put someone off getting high, that would. I ahve been in the company of people that have smoked cannabis, but did not take part myself, nor would I ever do so. It's just me. I detest that feeling, I gain no benefit from it at all. I ahve no need of it.

I do drink wine, but have not got drunk for.... um.... well, can't even remember the last time.... I feel, even after a couple of glasses of wine, that my brain gets fuzzy and i can't concentrate.

To me, my best paintings come after I have meditated. Whether this can be classed as a 'natural' high or not, I don't know. To me, it is more a method of focussing my mind but, the effects to me blow me away!

Dellamorte
10-11-2003, 08:50 AM
I can relate to some of these responses.
First of all, like Kali, I usually don't like having any loss of control while working either.
And sometimes in general. On weed I'm usually fine, but one time I smoked (while feeling very anxious) I thought the roof was moving through me- thats not what what I hoped for. All the other times I've done it, I've been fine, but I'll have trouble concentrating on doing any work.

Alcohol? A little bit will work, but yes if you cross the line you're more inclined to feel like making out (as mentioned earlier in this tread) or getting your freak on- or worse, you feel tired.

Never did any major drugs so I can's speak for those. I don't plan on doing crack anytime soon before a deadline either.

Keith Russell
10-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Bendaini said:
I have never done any drug, or even smoked a cigerette. The worst I've done is guzzle 3-4 shots of brandy...

Mm, you certainly have done drugs...alchohol is a drug...

K

Shehaub
10-13-2003, 11:32 AM
I used to drink like a girl in the army.. oh.. wait.. I was a girl in the army... I used to write lyrics/play music back in those days. I can't really say the booze did or did not help my musical talent. I don't really believe I was meant to be a rock star and I don't blame it on the booze.

Currently, I have a 6-pack of kids, a husband, pot of coffee and pack of cigarettes to enhance my creativity. Anyone with 6 kids is considered high, I think. At least everyone LOOKS at me like I must be high.. Seriously tho, it's kind of odd for me to even think about keeping any harsh drugs around this crew. I would be too freaked out about the kids getting into it.

It is interesting to read the responses to this and see the results of the poll. I don't think I would want to work completely under an influence, but I could see myself drinking a glass of wine, or something while working. I tend to be more patient while intoxicated. This is probably not going to go on my immediate "To-do" list, but might be interesting to test out sometime.

J.W.
10-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Caffeine does nothing for me. I can drink a whole pot coffee and go right to sleep. And I'm not talking Folgers.

One beer and and I'm done for the evening as far as art is concerned. And I'm a total wimp as far as the illicit stuff is concerned. Not for me, thank you. I've got enough problems with the personalities I've got without creating new ones!

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to Starbucks for five gallons to go.:evil:

JoyJoyJoy
10-17-2003, 01:22 PM
I did my best watercolor ever, 20 years ago, on a glass of wine. (Cheap drunk, I know). At the time, I needed the alcohol to loosen me up... as I was much too tight (in realistic technique) to use the spontaneity of the watercolor medium.

Being bipolar, I am always "chemically enriched" by medication or by caffeine (used in the mornings to counteract the medications' sedation). With a medicated "buzz," I create crap.. I cannot think clearly. A few strong coffees help.

For any artist living with a similar health condition or up/down from meds... I found it very helpful to plan out each painting beforehand with sketches and sometimes computer-drawn images. Then, no matter what my mental mood when painting, I can follow my prep work to paint the picture in I had imagined previously. By sticking to my sketches, I do not get frustrated by color/style/technique changes due to whatever mood or high I am in at painting time.

Nance

pinkbubelz
10-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Nope,
Not unless you count the fact that I love the smell of turps... ;)
(However, I do NOT go out of my way to sniff it!--
I think the high just comes from the residual Turps in my studio.... and YES I do keep a fan in the window to keep my studio well-vented!

A little alcohol here and there, but not much while working (it will put me to sleep), also some caffeine to keep me awake (although I can't drink much caffeine--it gives me an upset stomach and the jitters)...

Usually, though, I don't eat or drink anything while painting-- too many toxic substances in the studio....

I think I get my "high" from lack of sleep. I tend to work best from the hours of 1 am - 5 am.... My friends think I'm crazy... :-)

paintergirl
10-20-2003, 06:24 PM
..Nothing stronger then a good cup of java...

Spaces
11-03-2003, 09:51 PM
As usual, lots of misconceptions and of course, caution. I guess that's to be expected.

Here's the experiment for those inclined and "acquainted" enough to try it.

Decide on a picture that you're going to paint. Something altogether new, don't redo anything.

Paint it when you're high. It has to be a good high; I will leave the particulars of 'good' to the reader. Don't try to think "straight" while you're painting it, make the chief referent the high for any and all decisions. The only overriding decision will be that the picture is to be completed.

Wait a couple of days after you finish the project. Now, paint the same picture, non-high. Do not think about the previous painting or its particulars vis-a-vis the modes involved. Think as completely as possible in non-high terms.

Now, take both paintings and show them to someone without telling them of the circumstances behind them. Something simple like these are two versions, etc..

Hear what they say. Listen and learn.

The entire process can of course be done in reverse, non-high to high. For those that understand and can shelve the fear and politics of it in a place of dismissal, the knowledge gained is quite interesting.

Shamans were and are artists of a totally different order. If one feels no need to travel such paths, the shaman would be the first to tell you not to and would not regard you the less for it. Many worlds beyond and many worlds here.

Spaces

JohnEmmett
11-07-2003, 03:27 AM
I replied no because I think you mean on illegal drugs. I paint on legal drugs unfortunately and sometimes on bursts of manic energy highs. If it were just up to me I'd stop taking pills and suffer so my art would soar...

Then of course I'd go insane and murder myself or hurt those I love. So I can't. What would Van Gogh have done had he had the choice? (He was bipolar too, like me.)

...I would much rather Van Gogh suffered as he did. Because like most of you.. I'm selfish for the sake of art.

Trelane
11-18-2003, 07:52 AM
Weird... I was just thinking about this on the way into work!

I haven't smoked pot or hash in years (since college) but having taken up figure drawing again, I think I would really like to smoke a joint prior to attending my session, just to see what I produce. I think the results from a purely analyitical standpoint would be interesting. Perhaps going in a little stoned might teach me something about myself and my drawing abilities.

Hunter S. Thompson pretty much wrote everything he's famous for stoned, drunk, or out of his mind on some illicit material of one kind or another. He also freely admits that there are entire episodes of his life that he forgets due to drugs. Also, David Bowie apparently can't remember any of 1976!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating use of drugs, but I think for myself a little 'artistic exploration' is in order.

Reignboblu
11-22-2003, 09:55 PM
I hate for this to be my first post, but I freely admit to smoking pot when I paint or work on my sculptures. It actually enables me to focus intently on my work for hours on end with great results.

Not for all, but it works exceptionally for me.

I drink Diet Coke, like water, so caffinated is an issue for me. Especially considering I have panic attacks. I know it's bad, but you only live once.

I also smoke cigarettes. No need to preach, I know it's bad for me, but like I said. You only live once.

I also I have to give a nod to the Hunter S. Thompson reference. He is a pure genius.

baquitania
01-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Here's another approach:

Stay up straight for 3-4 days, keep a rubber mallet handy and a stool you can place your left hand on incase you feel like sleeping. Adjust the canvas on the ground, and make sure your chalk mark is ready...

Oh by the way, Judy... can you get a contact coffee high?

B:Dbby

salart
01-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Sometimes I need a little enhancement( :rolleyes: )-a starbucks nonfat Latte works well in a pinch!

debmorbeto
01-06-2004, 08:44 AM
I, like some others, feel that wine and art go quite well together! I got high about 5 months ago for the first time in years. Just to see how it would affect my work. I couldn't work one bit! My brain was racing and all I could do was furiously write in my journal. I'm sticking to wine!

Deb :D

sunny
01-09-2004, 06:18 PM
A very personal response...so read at your own risk... :evil:

I am an alcoholic....which is funny because a period of 10 years or more may go by before I take a drink. But this past March my husband died, with enormous suffering...stricten with cancer...lived for 5 years...the last 15 months of his life, he had suffered a massive stroke...couldn't speak, could hardly walk...he was under my care and hospice for 15 months...I am not saying this for sympathy...I am only trying to illustrate a point in ones life where times can be very rough...faith...faith in the universe,,,faith in myself kept me going...

When He died...I drank for 2 months straight...tryed to kill the pain...and tryed to create...HA....it doesn't work...yes a few pieces had some extra colors, some unknown brushstrokes...many works sold...lol...yet...something was missing...mostly me...

I am lucky...I have respect for myself and my work....I made a big sign.....PUI...I wrote...you know how you can get a DUI for driving under the influence....well PUI is PAINTING UNDER THE INFLUENCE....I will never again get another PUI....I did many a misjudged task under that influence,,,I don't regret it..because all of life is a learning process...but I won't PUI again...like I said I respect my God given creativity...and myself...

Everyone has a story and a way they must be...I don't judge anyone...I only know for myself...life is a journey...so follow your own journey...but take some advice, Painting under the influence DOES NOT follow your true nature,,,and DOES NOT give you the best paintings and ideas.

As I write that...being an alcoholic by nature,,,doesn't mean that when the next major crisis that happens in my life won't lead me down the path of the bottle again.....I only pray for strength that I won't...and that if I did..I will come out of it as strong as I am now...and that is why I thank God...and the creative energy that is within me...

Blessings to you, and good creative energy!!!

Sunny :)

Spaces
01-11-2004, 04:00 PM
I respond to you largely because of your honesty and your stated non-judgement of the particulars except , of course, in your judging them to be of no purchase for your own designs. With that in mind let's move this to a level where what is addressed ranges beyond either yours or my perception to the field of society in general. Mind you, we are artists in this, not ideologues with brushes.

"...so follow your own journey..."___Sunny

It would be difficult to find individuals that would be antagonists to such a statement. In our cores it is what we all must do whether from some sense of will or even if we've surrendered to an overbearingly thick impasto of impersonal determinism. Yet, as it stands contemporarily there are social elements who feel that journeys require qualification of one sort or another. That desire for qualification is usually a self-serving interest for those who demand it. I know, compassion and a genuine sense of well-being may be at play in some instances but even there we often find the adage of pavement which leads to fiery places. For the innocent who is trying to make some sense of it all it is not only difficult due to their own nascent perceptions but also because they encounter demanding opinions on the choice of "senses" to begin with. Before they even get to a rallying of personal will to attain an illumination which they can call of their own endeavor they are assailed by the often admonishing efforts of they whom I would classify with no regret as the progeny of anachronistic living. Needless to say, I personally do not suffer these types.

When we look at the media nowadays we find that explorers of different persuasions are regarded as troublesome and possibly dangerous to some undefined normalcy. One recent example of this is on television where a little girl is shown nearing a swimming pool by herself and as she draws nearer to the edge to put the plastic raft in the water the voice-over sarcastically addresses some in the audience about telling her parents that you we're too busy getting stoned to pay attention to her. Yes, situations like that do happen but one doesn't necessarily have to be "stoned" for them to occur. Many situations like that come about from alcohol and even the statistics bear this out. They also come about from the myriad of situations and conditions that we encounter on a daily basis and the majority of them having nothing whatsoever to do with altered states other than the alterations the mundane enterprise requires, nay, demands. I don't think I need to tell you that those alterations are often the most addictive of all.

The "business" of the artist is culture and what we are surrounded by is a culture in search of itself, in search of values which would make an easier go of exchanges and a willingness to transcend what should be apparent regressions. Canvas? Clay? None of these matter. The real medium is our beingness and if it so happens that accessories present themselves to represent our journey then we are thankful but rarely should such gratitude become subservience. For a time we may be able to fool others with material innovation but in the end we fool only ourselves. Real life is truly stranger than fiction and the history of those who lay on their deathbed and realized to what extent their fictions sidetracked them must surely be legion. Many of those beds no doubt became the last premise for those who allowed addictions even of drugs to control their lives. But again, only a percentage of them and certainly not enough to qualify as a resounding indictment to eclipse all other scenarios.

In the spirit of your honesty let me also be honest. I can tell you right now with no reservations whatsoever that if it had not been for some of these "altered" experiences my life would have turned out much different than it is right now---for the worse. Before I even knew the effects of my first experience with Marijuana there had been "natural" circumstances in my life that precipitated a possible psychological development of despair. The details are only important to me and suffice it to say there are millions who experience in their early youths many situations which brand what the character of their adulthood will be. Before any of my "experimentation" I felt that life was rapidly becoming a dismal proposition and that I was being relegated to only observe the sunny side of the street from a distance or in the dark of night. Add to this the fact of growing up in a household of relatively conservative mien and what you have are elements conspiring to armor you from all sides. But before anyone gets the wrong idea about upbringing let me say right here that even through my struggles and experimentation I found loving assurances and understanding from my family. How many can claim that? We should all be able to claim that but unfortunately such is not the case.

When I embarked on my journeys it was not to get stoned or party it up with those around me. Personally, the best times for me were when I went to the outdoors either by myself or a friend or two, people who not only were fellow experimenters but who also by their association were seen as individuals intelligent and understanding of their own journeys and that of others; perhaps I was fortunate in this respect and for that I am thankful. I learned from those times that there were other ways of being, other ways of feeling about the world and that it did not have to be of a tragic denouement. I could regale you with many a word on this but let me quote from someone else on this and while the examples refer to Marijuana in particular the real issue is of far-wider social relevance:

"If we are not taught by some older, wiser person that deep and timeless perceptions really exist (or unless we ourselves fortuitously catch a glimpse of these subjective realities), we remain ignorant of their existence and are easily molded into the lower social goals of materialism, competition, and power. This less enlightened state is expressed by a constant gnawing dissatisfaction. It is the dimension of perennial desire. With each fulfillment of a goal /need / want, another void erupts. In Buddhism, it is the realm of nightmarish, insatiable hunger, which cannot be resolved unless or until the being attains to a less self-centered level. Deep within each of us, an essential need for a higher meaning of life waits to be awakened. Because of its ability to unlock this yearning and allow us a glimpse of the deeper reality, marijuana is feared by the establishment and loved by the user."
"It is mainly because spiritual values are abandoned during eras of materialism that marijuana is banned today. And, ironically, it is because these values are so absent in the modern culture that the marijuana experience is so ardently sought."
Joan Bello - The Benefits of Marijuana: Physical, Psychological & Spiritual.

Here, as example of a needless casualty of ignorance is an excerpt from an unnnamed individual in a letter from a Broome County, New York Jail. 1996:

"Those of us who are the casualties in the front lines of the marijuana witch hunt are, of course, the best versed in all the depraved reasons our militaristic government is waging this criminal war on innocent citizens. Our numbers sadly keep growing as our commitment to the inalienable, natural right to medicate ourselves, pursue our own methods toward enjoyment, and worship the Divinity in the best way we can imagine, grows ever stronger, gathering more and more people from all walks of life and all disciplines of science. Our prisons are inadequate to house what has become the most populated prison society in the developed world - because our laws define natural actions as crimes. The political system that upholds this foolhardy, cruel, unjustifiable policy is bolstered by the drive for profit."

Profit? Yes, but I would say it is more in the writer's aforementioned ..laws define natural actions as crimes." that the real fear of those who find natural advancements a crime becomes glaringly evident.

Some readers of this posting may ask themselves what does this have to do with creativity or the arts? If you ask such a question then all I can say is that you haven't got a clue and probably consider artistic and creative accomplishments on par with designing a newer cereal box (rough assessment? I'm yawning). The culture wherein the above examples occur is the culture of our social being, the culture from which we are to draw our inspiration for the very enterprise of art. If that culture is less than salubrious, and by all indications the diagnostic is not promising, then the artist suffers because the human being suffers not only individually but collectively, the very collective that is the only agent capable of attending to the artist in terms of response and encouragement. Without that collective you're not only up the creek without an oar---you don't even have a boat. Even if you were to claim an artistic isolation of the first order where the art is wholly for your private enjoyment that culture still affects the peripherals of your existence even as basic as that of necessities that allow for social functioning. Are you a hermit living on a mountaintop living off the land and painting trees and rocks for only other trees and rocks to view? If so, then you're exempt from the categories mentioned.

When all is said and done about altered states vis a vis art concerns the real issue is about the variety of states which comprise our lives and the management of them. Sunny mentions the situation with her husband and as a human being I can only hope that there were others more immediate to her than I with this text, more immediate to her than paints and brushes, others who comforted and understood like no artificial medium ever could. The human being is the principal medium. When choosing to work directly with that medium one is choosing the most creative of all endeavors. It is "portraiture" of monumental and incontrovertible significance. Look at all the great artists, read the accounts of their lives and you will see that what they were attaining to was not a perfect artifact but a perfect sense of themselves. Some succeeded in many regards but always there was a gracenote whether it was from Picasso's claim as he neared death that painting had yet to be invented or Beethoven shaking his fist at the air above him as he likewise neared passage. How will your own gracenote be remembered? May it be a joyous one and I sincerely wish that.

Sunny gives thanks for the creative energy that is within her and I for one will never stand in the way of that. But unfortunately obstructions abound regardless of mine or others' civility. I give thanks that there were such substances in that time of my life that allowed me not just to hallucinate possibilities out of thin air but to unlock those possibilities which were already within me. Some say that I could have unlocked them without the aid of such agents. Perhaps some did but I ask you to look around at our society and where it finds itself at the present. It looks more like lock-down to me. Rather than unlocking cosmic secrets what were burdened with is deciphering deceptions and desperately trying to stay afloat. If you do not experience this then I wish you and the residents of your particular planet a prosperous new year.

I am older now and it's been years since my last experience. It was 1983 in Death Valley, California. My girlfriend at that time and I took some mushrooms and the entire day was a wonderful and lovely experience. In the midst of that experience I remember thinking that this was going to be my last experience in these terms. It was not done out of fear, the proposition presented itself very naturally and my acceptance of it was likewise. As the night approached I remembered asking myself, asking reality, what it was that I could do to live a better life. The answer was simple: Be kind to others and be kind to yourself. Whomever or whatever God may be I do give thanks for such experiences. Experiences that in many ways saved my life.
But there are others whom have not been so fortunate. They too tried to journey forward in the hope of finding answers even if it only applied to themselves at first. They hoped to make sense of the environment in which they found themselves yet regardless of their best intentions and meaning harm to no one their innocence was castigated by the ignorance of those who deem themselves wise yet punish the wisdom of others if not compliant with their own. I don't know what you call it but I call it brutal and barbarous. I will be honest, it sorely tests my lesson of kindness from those years ago.

Sunny has respect for herself and her work and so did the many who now suffer imprisoned but their work has been obstructed and their respect for others a very qualified concern. People who wanted to discover life anew were treated and continue to be treated as criminals. Each one of them artists of the first order, taking risks like all artists since time immemorial have done since the ancient shamans to a modern individual like Timothy leary and all those in-between who regarded life with more expectations and wonder. It's a case of those wanting to explore the unknown punished by those fearful of it.

Tell me, as artists do you simply put all of that injustice out of your mind? Some of you will emphatically say no, that in fact through art one could very will be commenting on these conditions and for their change. Others will say that they don't have time for a guilt trip and that the situation is way beyond their field of realistic engagement. Of course, there will others who'll say that those individuals got what they deserved. I don't think you have to ask me with which group I throw the Gandhi book out the window.

For artists everywhere, for human beings everywhere, I hope for a future where society is more amenable to explorations which further our procession in this universe. There are many of this sentiment but there are also many who are not only fearful of it but aggressively inimical to it. To them the most that I can bring myself to utter is a farewell minus the fondness.

Sunny, thank you for your honesty and I hope you understand mine.

Spaces

BeyondTheNineSquares
01-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Someone else already said that being high on life is really quite enough, and I sure agree with that! I answered no because I assume that by high you refer drugs, etc. I must say that a high of that sort has never attracted me at all.

When I'm involved in a painting, drawing, writing project, etc., the creative process alone makes me high! That's the only high I need to create my art!

Spaces
01-11-2004, 05:51 PM
No one is convincing you otherwise as long as you consider that a personal opinion and don't politicize it to the detriment of others who also want to enjoy the high they choose to create their art.

Spaces

derrickito
01-14-2004, 01:53 AM
i drink like a fish, but never while working in the studio. i dont think id get anything done that way.

if anything, popping a handfull of ephedra and pulling an all nighter painting or such is prime. or coke. god bless cocaine. now thats something i can get a good amount of work done with.

off for a good glass of syrah! :)

gillyvu
01-17-2004, 05:50 PM
I've created art while being high on life! :D

L C Church
01-17-2004, 06:14 PM
*my cabin sits at 9000'.... does that count?
i start OFF high.... in spirit, at least....
add to that coffee, cig's and and sometimes a good white zin......
hummmm......

;)

Lucky Lady!!

L C Church
01-17-2004, 06:37 PM
I have never done any drug, or even smoked a cigerette. My nefew once tried to give me a contact high, but I managed to stay away from him....

The worst I've done is guzzle 3-4 shots of brandy in about 15 seconds...

i was talking with a friend who smokes the other day. I said something like "I don't understand why anyone would allow themselves to be controlled by something like nicotine" in refrence to his smoking.

He said "Well, look at it this way... what are you addicted to?"

I thought for a moment.... then said "Well nothing, not really. Not unless you count the internet and I can pretty much live without that too, now"

He didn't have anything more to say on that subject.

And I still say the same thing... I don't understand how anyone, especialy after hearing how addictive the stuff (ciggerettes, crank, acid, whatever) is would stick that stuff in their bodies. But that's just me.

Well first I have to say I no longer do drugs. Being of the age that I am a child of the 60's we started doing drugs to experiment, rebel,and people can have addictive personalities, it can run in the family, low self esteem. peer pressure, boredom, curiosity, self-medication, and the list goes on.
To answer the original question yes, but I never knew when to stop. Would keep re-working over and over. Could do ok work at times but by the time I stopped I had already painted over the best I could have done. :D

nbkitsune
01-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I really haven't tried any source herbage - illegal or otherwise.

I usually get my high from life, from meds (I'm bi-polar and a wuss so a little bit of medication makes me trippy :p ), lack of sleep, or caffeniated drinks in excess.

In actuality, depending on the situation or medium, my art quality usually fluctuates. Sometimes I love it, other times I'd like to bury it in the backyard.

saucy
01-23-2004, 09:25 PM
I said no, but I guess I should have really said yes. I was on methadone for pain management for several years. While on it and several other drugs I've painted and work in glass.

khaprendy ra
01-26-2004, 09:37 PM
heh heh...
10mg of valium works R-E-A-L-L-Y well...
stops the vibrations of the pot...
alcohol isn't so good, things tend to get too loose and spilling your drink on the painting isn't the best thing for it.
anyone tried painting after meditating??
k.

MeliaDawn
01-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Not in the sense the original question was meant. But back in college in order to get through large tedious drawing assignments, I would have a bit to drink. Actually I had a neighbor next door with a son the same age as mine who wished she had the time for art classes.
So on weekends she would come over and we would have a sleep over. I would set up everything to do my homework. After the boys went to sleep we would make pinacoladas and draw all night long. Granted after getting halfway through my first drink, I would be too engrossed in the drawing process to actually finish the drink, so I am not sure how much that counts.

Of course these days, I can't even drink half a glass of wine without getting a headache. Not a hangover. Just if I drink within the hour I will have a headache. I wonder if it is some sort allergic reaction.

cityart
01-28-2004, 08:50 PM
I have been known to sit at my easel with a pallette knife and scrape the paint off all of the paint tubes in my box. To go even further I would take the cap off and clean and scrape all the dried paint out from the threads. This is without pot. Just imagine how much I would get done high.

sonyabologna
01-30-2004, 12:54 AM
What an interesting thread. As someone else said: not sure this should be my first post, but I too enjoy all kinds of creative activities after a toke or two. When it comes to drawing, I have produced almost photorealistic pencil drawings while high. I find I can focus more intensely on the work, for longer periods of time, without distraction. The same is true of other creative processes. But for those who've never tried it, trust me that pot is neither addictive (except to those who would pick up on any pleasant feeling, from masturbation to shopping, and make an addiction out of it) nor is it, in moderation, any more mentally disruptive than those couple of glasses of wine you might enjoy to loosen up. It's just...different. I read a writer once who compared it to a flashlight with an adjustable beam: in normal life, your mind is on the wide beam setting, encompassing many things at once, resting on none for long. After a little cannabis, the beam narrows, but also focuses and brightens in intensity. It's not the best mataphor, but it does convey some of the feeling. It's certainly nothing to be afraid of, and absolutely not the reefer-madness evil thing the War on Drugs folks make it out to be. There are certainly drugs out there (and I've tried a few myself) that most people should stay well away from, but pot and alcohol should be on the same footing, legally and socially. Fine for adults, in moderation, and not while operating heavy machinery. Sorry to make this so political, but it's a bit of a sore spot with me.

salart
01-30-2004, 07:02 AM
What an interesting thread. As someone else said: not sure this should be my first post, but I too enjoy all kinds of creative activities after a toke or two. When it comes to drawing, I have produced almost photorealistic pencil drawings while high. I find I can focus more intensely on the work, for longer periods of time, without distraction. The same is true of other creative processes. But for those who've never tried it, trust me that pot is neither addictive (except to those who would pick up on any pleasant feeling, from masturbation to shopping, and make an addiction out of it) nor is it, in moderation, any more mentally disruptive than those couple of glasses of wine you might enjoy to loosen up. It's just...different. I read a writer once who compared it to a flashlight with an adjustable beam: in normal life, your mind is on the wide beam setting, encompassing many things at once, resting on none for long. After a little cannabis, the beam narrows, but also focuses and brightens in intensity. It's not the best mataphor, but it does convey some of the feeling. It's certainly nothing to be afraid of, and absolutely not the reefer-madness evil thing the War on Drugs folks make it out to be. There are certainly drugs out there (and I've tried a few myself) that most people should stay well away from, but pot and alcohol should be on the same footing, legally and socially. Fine for adults, in moderation, and not while operating heavy machinery. Sorry to make this so political, but it's a bit of a sore spot with me.
I completely agree with you. I have for many years indulged in miniscule amounts of herbal supplements to enhance wy artmaking-not always, there is a time and a place. When I am safely in my studio. not in the car or even in public. It opens a door in my brain that stays shut the rest of my time. I struggle with the moral implications, but honestly can't find anything wrong with it. As in alcohol, there are those who abuse it , and it is definately not for children I think of it as a gift from the garden. Not everyone is affected this way- but i have several artist friends who enjoy it as I do.I hope someday that people will be allowed to grow a few plants for their own consumtion.

JayD
02-01-2004, 01:48 PM
I keep a pot of depressingly decaffeinated coffee going and the jazz station on my radio on low so that it doesn't overwhelm. As far as drugs and alchohol. No--not because I don't want to but because they would kill me.

Woof-a-Doof
02-03-2004, 09:07 AM
what was the question?

paint fx
02-04-2004, 06:01 AM
No comments?

Define "high".......Yes, I do believe your creative mind can be unleashed when you are high - it's amazing what the mind can hold, and how imaginitive and creative we become when we are high. I don't belive it's good to do it all the time, but once in a blue moon, couldn't hurt...

ThurmanHubbard
02-07-2004, 04:06 PM
To answer the initial question, yes, I have. My avatar is a section of an abstract I finished nearly twenty years ago in college, while tripping on magic mushrooms. Today, I paint to keep from getting high. I smoked pot daily for over twenty years. I mean all day, every day. Excessive? You bet. And I still think it should be legal....but that belongs elsewhere. My two-cents....any drug, be it refined sugar, nicotine, or heroin, can open up creative aspects of your mind. And any of them can stifle you just as easily. To each his own, play at your own risk.

Jay :evil:

ThinkInRainbows
02-23-2004, 08:02 PM
I try to always be high when I create. I find it loosens me up. And it helps me keep focused and sit longer. Also I "see" my minds eye easier. it is almost like I can see the drawing under my hand and I am just filling in like paint by numbers.

ThinkInRainbows
02-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Well.... I'm Bipolar-I with ADHD, so I don't really need anything to get me floating out of reality.
- Adam

hmmm, funny. cuz I am BP too and I find that pot helps control my moodswings. but I am a rapid cycler too so.

gwennaart
02-29-2004, 03:25 PM
well, I've BEEN high (same as other vibrating person), but never worked that way. I've kind of gotten away from putting foreign substances into my body (except caffeine--can't spell) maybe an occasional drink. I do use music, candles and/or incense sometimes and this creates a state sort of like a high.

DigitalDust
03-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Does turpentine or the heating microprocessor smell from my Mac count?

I think I've gotten a few wafts from sitting too close to the CD player while Pink Floyd or the Beatles rendition of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was playing... hoo boy. :rolleyes:

cari
03-10-2004, 12:15 PM
I just about laughed my head off when I saw that this was posted from some one from BC. It would have to be. I love BC it's a beautiful place but anyway...I've never painted high and don't plan on it not only because I wouldn't do drugs but because I wouldn't feel like it was truely my own work if I did not have a hold on my capacities.

MsLilypond
03-10-2004, 04:38 PM
I drink caffeinated beverages while creating, but since that's my typical drink of choice, I don't think it has much influence on my art, occasionally I'll have a wine cooler or glass of wine while painting, all that does is makes me sleepy and sloppy. I have never smoked weed and created art. Then again I can count the times I've tried pot on one hand, and not even used all the fingers.

For some reason pot and other illegal substances have never much appealed to me. Nor does drinking everyday. Both my grandfathers were acoholics so I try to keep any acohol consumption down. I never have more than 3 or 4 glasses or bottles (the 16 oz'ers) and usually that's only every 4 months or so. That's enough to make me goofy without giving me a hangover the next day.

SMViolano
03-17-2004, 04:30 AM
A very interesting topic.

Have I painted "High?" yes- after the sudden death of my first husband. I
would put the kids to bed and break open a bottle of wine and attack a canvas with paint,
working all night in a frenzy.
The work I did at this time is bitter yet oddly did find an
audience. Often it was abstracts with hidden elements within such as body parts and dark symbolism.

I do not see it as art- There was no challenge or communication- just a
viscious attack on innocent canvas. Sometimes I would wake up and not remember
creating the vibrant monstrosity that awaited me in my studio.

Thankfully I no longer need to drink to that degree to banish my demons.
A glass of wine is only used to relax when needed to get into the painting "Vibe"
I like my work better now- and myself.

Brian Firth
03-17-2004, 12:47 PM
In one word, YES! However, I have found that producing work under the influence has never been as productive for me as taking psychedelic drugs (LSD, Pscilocybin, MDMA) and later reflecting on the experience in my work. In my opinion, this allows a much more refined concentrated mindstate to produce art that accurately captures the experience. However, the effects of marijuana are so benign that it is very easy to produce great work while stoned. Also, stream of conscious work done under the influence is hard to replicate sober. Check out www.alexgrey.com for a good example of an artist whose amazing work is directly influenced by mind expanding substances. Or listen to any GOOD musician! "Good" being the key word here.

Some people have equated marijuana with alcohol, I would have to say that this is a dangerous comparison. Alcohol is a drug just the same as any other, social acceptance is inconsequential. Alcohol should be classed as a much harder drug along with opiates and crank/coke. I have seen more lives destroyed by alcohol than all other drugs combined. It is the ONLY drug that the withdrawals can kill you, not even heroin can do that. It is also the least mind expanding drug next to nicotine. Marijuana is a much milder drug that does not completely inebriate you, harm the brain/liver/kidneys/stomach, cause black outs or vomiting like alcohol can. Alcohol poisoning can kill you, marijuana cannot. Marijuana is much more fairly equated with caffeine in its effects and dangers. All drugs can be used, and all drugs can be abused. Nothing in this world is inherently bad or good, only in the context of their usage can that be determined.

I would like to say that I no longer use drugs. I think I have have all the experiences I need to reflect upon for several lifetimes. I don't rule out possibly using them sometime in the future. I do think they should all be legalized, even the drugs I hate and know are dangerous. Punishing someone for using them only adds to the danger and does nothing to minimize that danger. Above all, this gets down to the basic principal of freedom, as a free person in our country we should have the right to do whatever we want to ourselves as long as it doesn't harm others. ( If you want to say it effects peoples health and that stresses our healthcare system, then make McDonalds illegal) Freedom protects what you don't like as much as it protects what you do. "Everyone likes to talk about freedom, but when they see it, it scares them" - a rough quote from memory from Easy Rider.

I can honestly say that my work as well as almost all other fields of art have been enhanced for the better or worse by the use of drugs and would never have reached this state without them. Whether you like it or not, even if you have never touched a drug, you and your work have been influenced by work that was produced by artist's who have. So indirectly, we have all done drugs. :D

ferveriga
03-26-2004, 02:49 PM
pot doesn't work for me.. I can't do a thing when on it. I do have ideas I find fantastic at the time but are not that great whe I am sober.

alcohol in the other hand seems to be a great companion. I often open a bottle and share with my model but I get so into the work the model endes up drinking alone. ;) I did a couple of paintings coming back from a big night out and they were not that great.

I did a few other stuff but never used while painting..

I guess my point is that drugs in general give me many ideas but won't help me produce a good work.

Painter Snoopy
04-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Many years ago I was an active alcoholic and drug addict. I did not even think to practice art until I was clean and sober for over 5 years. I started using when I was 12 and stopped when I was 30. Such a waste of life. I did not have a clue that all of the pot I was smoking was keeping me from really experiencing life. I can't use caffeine either. I do get high on music. It lifts me to another place where the paint flows freely. So I do paint high just not on drugs or alcohol. Those things didn't do me any favors in the long run. The 'high' that I used to get from pot I can get from Reiki and meditation now. I do like this thread as it has reminded me to meditate before I paint. Why would I forget something like that?:D

Mikey
04-08-2004, 10:18 AM
erik, definition twelve--b?

OK, which is it--excited, or stupified?

For me, it's simply a greater level of awareness, wakefulness, ability to concentrate...not what I'd consider 'excited'--

--certainly not 'stupified'!

K

Does the question mean high like overdoing the credit card high? I'm not bipolar, so don't know about that. But yes I can get a bit high with good feelings and make a connection to the canvas at times. Wish I could more often, that's when the paintings just seems to go right for me easily and loose brushwork is best.

Mikey

JayD
04-08-2004, 10:41 AM
High--it's that feeling that you get when you spray the workable fixative on your drawing and forget to open the windows. :)

strohat
04-09-2004, 04:00 PM
i have in the past but seem to be much better off without it. i thought pot and lsd helped enhance my work but i feel my work is actually better now that i don't use them anymore. can't really explain it though.

Pat Doherty
04-10-2004, 10:08 AM
When I was young, in the 70s' and into that type on thing I did...
Did some crazy stuff back then... Usually overdone crap...
But any more a Beer will just put me in front of this thing reading these posts... No inspiration/ambition from getting high I guess when you get old..

Keith Russell
04-13-2004, 10:29 PM
Some people have equated marijuana with alcohol, I would have to say that this is a dangerous comparison. Alcohol is a drug just the same as any other, social acceptance is inconsequential. Alcohol should be classed as a much harder drug along with opiates and crank/coke.

I do think they should all be legalized, even the drugs I hate and know are dangerous. Punishing someone for using them only adds to the danger and does nothing to minimize that danger. Above all, this gets down to the basic principal of freedom, as a free person in our country we should have the right to do whatever we want to ourselves as long as it doesn't harm others.

These statements seem contradictory to me. How can you seek the reclassification of alcohol as a 'much harder drug', yet speak to the legalization of all drugs?

What would 'reclassification' do for alcohol, besides make it illegal?

K

Maryem
04-26-2004, 05:14 PM
I like a drink in the evenings, and I do find I "loosen up" in painting. I find it strange that I can't write properly, but can still paint accurately, after a couple of very strong lagers!

Mary

PS This is an extremely interesting thread

Brian Firth
05-04-2004, 12:28 AM
These statements seem contradictory to me. How can you seek the reclassification of alcohol as a 'much harder drug', yet speak to the legalization of all drugs?

What would 'reclassification' do for alcohol, besides make it illegal?

K
In a relative context where all drugs are legal, people would be educated to each drugs potential good and bad effects. Some drugs would be considered more dangerous than others while they were all still legal. Alcohol would be grouped into a different "through its physiological action can kill you" category separate from marijuana and along side cocaine and heroin, although legally they all would be the same. This is similar to the difference between beer and whiskey. They are both legal but whiskey is much more potent and dangerous.
I think people should be rationally informed about all drugs and allowed to make their decision to/not to use them. I do not believe in making any drug illegal no matter how dangerous. My desire for association of alcohol with harder drugs was meant in a social not legal context.

DevineCreative
05-04-2004, 01:36 AM
for a good example of an artist whose amazing work is directly influenced by mind expanding substances. Or listen to any GOOD musician! "Good" being the key word here.

Are you suggesting that every musician you have ever thought of as good was under the influence during their performance? During my life time I have heard literally hundreds of performances of good musicians and there is no way that I could declare with any amount of certainty that they were or were not under the influence in each case.

The idea that the only way music can be played well is if the musician is stoned or drunk is just a sterotype.

Pamela

Keith Russell
05-04-2004, 01:44 AM
I've known several musicians personally who were utterly destroyed by drugs and/or alcohol, and I've known (and been in) several really good bands that broke up over some band-member's drug use.

Stevie Ray Vaughan (to name only one) was clean during the last few years of his life, and he said in interview after interview that he had never played as well, as he did after he gave up the drugs and booze.

If you can't play sober, you can't play--

--at least, not with me.

Besides, if the music (or the art) itself doesn't get you high enough, you're doing something wrong...

K

Brian Firth
05-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Are you suggesting that every musician you have ever thought of as good was under the influence during their performance? During my life time I have heard literally hundreds of performances of good musicians and there is no way that I could declare with any amount of certainty that they were or were not under the influence in each case.

The idea that the only way music can be played well is if the musician is stoned or drunk is just a sterotype.

Pamela

Some do, but I would suggest most have used drugs while creating and writting and it influenced them later when they were playing and perfecting the ideas sober. Of course "good" is subjective. If you read my earlier post I commented on using then later reflecting on the experience. Like a horrific car wreck where you walk away but that experience effects you and your thoughts long afterward. You are right though, most musicians comment that they DON'T like to use when performing, it dulls their reactions and technical performance ability. I don't think drugs generally enhance technical abilities, but they help more on the abstract cerebral creativity useful in brainstorming and conceptualizing.

However, I can say without a doubt that Paul McCartney has stated that everything the Beatles produced from Rubber Soul on was either written or performed high.

Keith Russell
05-04-2004, 05:56 PM
However, I can say without a doubt that Paul McCartney has stated that everything the Beatles produced from Rubber Soul on was either written or performed high.

High on what, do you know?

K

Brian Firth
05-04-2004, 06:26 PM
High on what, do you know?

K

I know Paul was always big on the herb, while John and George were the acid heads. It really doesn't matter what Ringo was on! :D

Paul only said they were under the influence of drugs but did not specify. I'm sure it was a good mix of anything they could get their hands on.

Paul said the song "Got To get You into my life" was about his love of marijuana.

Brian Firth
05-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Keith,
You might also be interested to know that Carl Sagan was a marijuana smoker. "Ann Druyan, Sagan's former wife, is a director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.* The nonprofit group promotes legalization of marijuana." quote from the link below

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v99/n882/a01.html

Keith Russell
05-08-2004, 12:26 AM
In a relative context where all drugs are legal, people would be educated--

Educated? By whom? (And, who would educate the educators...and according to what criteria?)

--to each drugs potential good and bad effects.

But, not everyone agrees as to the effects of various drugs. Whose authority do you think should be trusted?

Some drugs would be considered more dangerous than others while they were all still legal.

If they're legal, who would 'consider' certain drugs more 'dangerous' than others? There are people out there who can handle cocaine, but not alcohol, for example...

Alcohol would be grouped into a different "through its physiological action can kill you" category separate from marijuana and along side cocaine and heroin, although legally they all would be the same. This is similar to the difference between beer and whiskey. They are both legal but whiskey is much more potent and dangerous.

Nonsense. No one has classified whiskey as being more 'dangerous' than beer. (More powerful, perhaps, but not more 'dangerous'. Everything I've read lately states that the old '4 beers equals 2 glasses of wine equals 1 shot of whiskey is nonsense.)

The legal drinking age in Kansas is 21, and at that age, you are free to buy beer or whiskey, no questions or informational flyers attached.

I think people should be rationally informed about all drugs and allowed to make their decision to/not to use them.

That would be great. But, the average person is not very rational. So, where would you find all the rational people needed to 'educate' all the idiots, and why would a rational person want to spend their time doing it, and why do you think they should? (I wouldn't!)

I do not believe in making any drug illegal no matter how dangerous.

I agree completely, but I think it would be better to leave 'education' and classification in the hands of multiple, private, agencies. Having the government responsible for education and/or classification of drugs (if that's really where your ideas are heading) is just one more government monopoly we do not need, and would certainly be better off without.

(Talk about dangerous...!)

My desire for association of alcohol with harder drugs was meant in a social not legal context.

You can have my Jack Daniel's when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers...

K

Brian Firth
05-09-2004, 10:22 PM
"Educated? By whom? (And, who would educate the educators...and according to what criteria?)"

Who does the educating is irrelevant. The point is harm reduction so any education based on objective science is better than the current misinformation and drug hysteria currently spewed by our government.

"But, not everyone agrees as to the effects of various drugs. Whose authority do you think should be trusted? "

Basic facts like: Can it kill you? Is is PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE? are pretty objective ways of classifying drugs. We already have exisiting classification systems for legal drugs like Morphine, Xanax and good old cocaine.

"Nonsense. No one has classified whiskey as being more 'dangerous' than beer. (More powerful, perhaps, but not more 'dangerous'. Everything I've read lately states that the old '4 beers equals 2 glasses of wine equals 1 shot of whiskey is nonsense.)

The legal drinking age in Kansas is 21, and at that age, you are free to buy beer or whiskey, no questions or informational flyers attached."

In Oklahoma you can only buy Whiskey at liquor stores, not grocery stores or gas stations where they sell low alcohol beer. So, in Oklahoma Whiskey (as well as anything with more than 3.2% alcohol by volume) is classified as more dangerous than beer. If you really think whiskey isn't more powerfull or dangerous than beer than the alcohol has done some serious organic brain damage.

"That would be great. But, the average person is not very rational. So, where would you find all the rational people needed to 'educate' all the idiots, and why would a rational person want to spend their time doing it, and why do you think they should? (I wouldn't!)"

I assume you are not one of the idiots? What subjective standard do you measure intelligence by? Sounds like you don't give credit to the masses to rule themselves. That's not a very democratic ideology. I think I am rational and I do "do it", as a matter of fact I'm doing it right now. You are going to pay for it one way or the other, either on jails or the education. Education is cheaper and although no one cares about idiots anyways, it may actually save some lives.

"I agree completely, but I think it would be better to leave 'education' and classification in the hands of multiple, private, agencies. Having the government responsible for education and/or classification of drugs (if that's really where your ideas are heading) is just one more government monopoly we do not need, and would certainly be better off without. "

So should we get rid of the FDA then? Then I could still get me some Fen-Phen! Darn government monopolies, don't they know I am one of the Chosen Few who is capable of making my own decisions!

Keith Russell
05-09-2004, 10:54 PM
If you really think whiskey isn't more powerfull or dangerous than beer than the alcohol has done some serious organic brain damage.

Well, it doesn't get more objective or unbiased than that, does it? (I've been drinking Jack Daniels and smoking decent cigars (sometimes in moderation, sometimes not) since I was fourteen or fifteen. I'm 37 now.

If you think I'm seriously brain damaged, well, I it's a level of damage I wouldn't want to live without...

Keith, earlier:
"That would be great. But, the average person is not very rational. So, where would you find all the rational people needed to 'educate' all the idiots, and why would a rational person want to spend their time doing it, and why do you think they should? (I wouldn't!)"

I assume you are not one of the idiots? What subjective standard do you measure intelligence by? Sounds like you don't give credit to the masses to rule themselves. That's not a very democratic ideology.

Democracy is for sheep, for those who look to 'leaders', for those who desire to be led. The United States was meant to be a Republic, not a democracy. If I offer my allegicance to anything, it is to the concept of the Republic...

I think I am rational and I do "do it", as a matter of fact I'm doing it right now. You are going to pay for it one way or the other, either on jails or the education. Education is cheaper and although no one cares about idiots anyways, it may actually save some lives.

"I agree completely, but I think it would be better to leave 'education' and classification in the hands of multiple, private, agencies. Having the government responsible for education and/or classification of drugs (if that's really where your ideas are heading) is just one more government monopoly we do not need, and would certainly be better off without. "

So should we get rid of the FDA then? Then I could still get me some Fen-Phen! Darn government monopolies, don't they know I am one of the Chosen Few who is capable of making my own decisions!

Well, are you?

K

Brian Firth
05-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Religion is for sheep, and republicans.

Baahhh.

chal
05-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Nope. I don't drink. Never used drugs in my life. Trust me, there's enough strange things going on in my head naturally...I don't need any help ;)

Chal

Keith Russell
05-10-2004, 02:04 PM

Baahhh.

Well, there's the difference between us then.

I have no religion (in any mystical or supernatural sense) and I am certainly no Republican.

K

Mikey
05-10-2004, 05:38 PM

Baahhh.

So what are you then?

Maryem
05-10-2004, 06:38 PM
I have realised that the "high" comes anyway, if you are enjoying drawing/painting/creating........

Mary

Brian Firth
05-10-2004, 10:15 PM
So what are you then?

I am me, Brian Firth. I cannot be pigeon holed into any pre-existing category. Politically, I am not a democrat and I am not a republican. I am a registered independent and not too particularly fond of the current two-party system in America, both are scum. Republicans do cater to the Christian right, so they tend to really alienate me and the first amendment. Spiritually, I am agnostic. I have my own set of morals that is dictated by my own conscious not reinforced with a religious reward system (no heaven for me.) I don't think I could ever say I belong to any organized school of thought. I do share a few beliefs of some groups but not all the beliefs of any. I do not need to find an existing belief system and latch on to it and call it my own to feel part of a larger group of like minds. I feel I am an independent thinking individual and have no need to have other people interpret life (or the meaning of it) and dictate its parameters to me. I am enjoying experiencing and learning about life on my own and have never felt the need to have some archaic story book answer all the questions for me. So, in a very simplified form that is what I am.

Keith Russell
05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Brian, I'm confused.

Some of your earlier comments ("What subjective standard do you measure intelligence by? Sounds like you don't give credit to the masses to rule themselves. That's not a very democratic ideology.") seemed to be championing democracy, inferring an anti-elitist--even an anti-individualist--stance.

This remark ("If you really think whiskey isn't more powerfull or dangerous than beer than the alcohol has done some serious organic brain damage.") also seemed too flip, too sarcastic, for someone who would also say this: "I feel I am an independent thinking individual and have no need to have other people interpret life (or the meaning of it) and dictate its parameters to me. I am enjoying experiencing and learning about life on my own and have never felt the need to have some archaic story book answer all the questions for me. So, in a very simplified form that is what I am."

Your latest remarks don't seem cut from the same cloth, as your earlier comments.

I suppose you were playing 'Devil's Advocate', earlier, trying to see if I would cave in when my views were met with snide remarks such as "I assume you are not one of the idiots? What subjective standard do you measure intelligence by?"

I certainly like (and agree with) the 'more recent' you, far more than the 'earlier' you...for what that's worth (probably not much...)

K

Brian Firth
05-12-2004, 03:32 AM
The 'more recent me' is the more accurate description of my thoughts, I think. Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the net.
I feel that democracy is a joke and a lie. Why would you want majority rule when the majority of people are one notch above Neanderthal? At least I know the people in power think that way. Of course, sometimes I question whether I am just one of the Neanderthals blinded by my ego to my own short comings. So that's kinda what I was getting at.

As far as liquor is concerned, I have drank and enjoyed more than my fair share of whiskey and other spirits. If anyone has brain damage from it, it's me! My opinion on its relative strength and danger is based on my father and what a complete psychopath he was when he drank hard liquor compared to him drinking beer. So my opinion is biased on that.

I have often thought if I met someone a lot like myself, my first impression would probably be "what an ass." :D

Keith Russell
05-19-2004, 06:56 PM
The 'more recent me' is the more accurate description of my thoughts, I think. Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the net.

No, it doesn't.

I feel that democracy is a joke and a lie. Why would you want majority rule when the majority of people are one notch above Neanderthal?

I have often said that the average person is an idiot, then I have to spend quite a bit of time defining what exactly I mean by 'average' person. But, you're absolutely right; I (at least) don't want to be 'ruled' by anyone, whether a king, a committee, or any other group, no matter how large or small.

At least I know the people in power think that way. Of course, sometimes I question whether I am just one of the Neanderthals blinded by my ego to my own short comings. So that's kinda what I was getting at.

As far as liquor is concerned, I have drank and enjoyed more than my fair share of whiskey and other spirits. If anyone has brain damage from it, it's me! My opinion on its relative strength and danger is based on my father and what a complete psychopath he was when he drank hard liquor compared to him drinking beer. So my opinion is biased on that.

Interesting. I've known people who could live seemingly regular lives while addicted to cocaine, but who were uttely unable to handle alcohol--and I've known others who were the opposite.

I think it really depends on what chemicals (if any) are the dangerous ones for you, specifically. I seem to be able to handle alcohol in any form, pretty well. (We keep a variety of liquor on hand, and neither my wife nor I have a problem going for weeks, sometimes, without a drink.)

I've never experimented with enough drugs to 'know' to which ones I'd become addicted. I've known several people who were pretty horribly messed up due to drugs, and it never seemed worth it for me to find out what my own reactions might be.

But, I also know that beer (or painkillers) can be just as bad for some people, as heroin is for others. (Still others can 'handle' heroin relatively well--but keep them away from the beer!)

I have often thought if I met someone a lot like myself, my first impression would probably be "what an ass." :D

I'm don't give a very good impression, either. Most times, though, I do tend to 'grow' on people...thankfully!

K

Reignboblu
05-23-2004, 10:53 PM
hmmm, funny. cuz I am BP too and I find that pot helps control my moodswings. but I am a rapid cycler too so.

Random quote from in the middle of this thread but since the last time I posted. I can't believe this is still around and on page 1.

Although I have moodswings as if I were rapidlly cycling B-P D/O, I suffer from panic attack D/O with heavy anxiety. I've smoked pot every day for almost four years now and it is truly one of the reasons I can live my life completely functionally. I'm not saying they're aren't drawbacks and that this is for everyone it's not. But the constant seratonin boost helps balance out my brain, more than it gets me stoned. It's not like getting high when I was 19. It takes the edge off of the jitters and anxiety attacks I get.

I also find it, as others have said, exceptionally focusing.

I think about it this way. Since I have the habit of going to school high (I don't drive, my boyfriend drives me usually, so I can lug around paintings and what not in his truck), I came to this conclusion with the help of my drawing teacher. "I've never met an artist who comes into class working completely loosely and just tightens up into a more rigid style as class goes on." It made sense as soon as he said it. Although some of this was attributed to the multi-hour poses we were doing and simply being tired by the end of a class, I realized smoking before I went to drawing was enabling me to come away with some of the best gestural and short pose drawings, I've done in my life and the most realistic full-body nude I've ever drawn. I concentrated and flowed freely for the first say 1 1/2 hour and then began to tighten up, losing several of the lightly lain in lines I had managed to finesse in the first hour, as I increasingly became self-aware of the fact that I was being asked to perform on cue. While I have no problem painting in class, my drawing technique, even in charcoal, lends itself to much longer introspection that I often feel I can get to in class, causing me to feel the pressure to perform almost constantly.

AmyH
05-26-2004, 12:14 PM
why anyone would do that is beyond me, working while high is not fun, sitting in a hot tub with a martini would be good, working, not on your life.

I have friends that do and believe they get great results. I work exeptionally well stone cold sober. my brain functions much, much better. drugs cause chemical reactions that slow down response time, dull the senses, blah blah blah. I like being sharp, and completely focused on the work at hand. And like others have said here, I dont need alternative substances to propell me creatively, my brain does well with the chemicals already present. :) AS far as relaxing, I dont like to relax when I work, I like to relax when I am finished. painting is freaking hard work.

Dspranza
06-04-2004, 08:48 PM
anyone tried painting after meditating??
k.

Yup, I paint sober, high, sometimes half asleep. :D After meditating too. I can't say I see much of a difference except if I'm high I seem to be able to devote more attention to what I'm doing.

truncate
06-04-2004, 09:47 PM
i don't do any drugs at all, unless you consider caffeine one...which i don't. but NASA did a study about the affect of drugs on spiders and their webs.

http://www.missblackwidow.com/drugs.html

i saw a study with real people once too, where they gave him one specific drug, maybe LSD, and basically he just lost all concentration and started running around the room doing crazy things. i can't find that page though.

Reignboblu
06-04-2004, 11:03 PM
i don't do any drugs at all, unless you consider caffeine one...which i don't.

You should, caffeine mimics the stress response in your body and its in almost everything. It's worse for you than crack or speed and you a million times more likely to ingest excessive amounts of it that you would say crack or speed.

Even If It Rains
06-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Yup

With both good and bad results.

The attached image is something I did while 'stoned' lol

On another occasion I was stoned and had a drink. I woke up the next morning to find paint under my finger nails and splattered all up the curtains.
There was no painting , just a pile of paper all stuck together. :(

I think essentially these things can enhance a creative mood, but not create one.

Keith Russell
06-14-2004, 11:53 PM
You should, caffeine mimics the stress response in your body and its in almost everything. It's worse for you than crack or speed and you a million times more likely to ingest excessive amounts of it that you would say crack or speed.

That's not what I've heard.

The information I've heard (and this is recent, within the past six months) is that caffiene helps maintain neural connections...

K

wilderness
06-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Another data point: supposedly men differ from women in their response to drinking coffee, it seems to aggravate stress: http://panicdisorder.about.com/b/a/066180.htm

now where'd I put that f---- coffeecup? :rolleyes:

wild

debbi_carr
07-01-2004, 01:55 PM

A slight buzz of alcohol isn't bad, but more than a couple, & I don't have the control I like... although I'm sure if I wanted to loosen up, that could be a way to do it.

I don't enjoy pot. It makes me vibrate. No other way to describe it. Not easy to hold a brush when you're vibrating. ;) And I got distracted way too easily... no focus.

okay, i know this is not what this thread is about...but I VIBRATE TOO when i smoke ganja! I wonder why?? it's like my heart beat gets so strong it shakes my whole body. Wow, i have never discussed that with anyone before or heard anyone else say it.

Even If It Rains
07-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Dope/ ganja releases large amounts of adrenaline into the blood stream. Thats why your heart beats fast . There are are alot of other processes (mind) involved too.

Two cups of tea does me these days. No alcohol, no dope.

debbi_carr
07-09-2004, 04:11 PM
i also must say, i have never tried anything artistic while under the influence of anything ingested. i bet though something like this varies on a person to person basis...one thing i do notice is that once an artist starts abusing whatever their drug of choice is, the work becomes something of a muddled mess. i think it starts out to your benefit and then once you pass a threshold its down hill. that's just my perception of it.

Art C. Barber
07-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Salutations!

First of all, I'm new to this board and I'd like to say hello to everyone. I'm very impressed by some of the comments on this subject, but I couldn't help myself but to post.

Like it was mentioned before. This question is RELATIVE to all that respond to it. What does for some, does not do for others. I'm not ashamed to say that I have created with the "assistance" of a mind altering drug. But does it "assist"?

For some no. Others yes. For most "sometimes". You've found a very gray/grey area here. What is hinderance? What is assistance? Especially in the realm of creativity?

For me. I've created both ways. No way is "better" than the other. But, really you have to just go back to High School Biology class to find out what drugs do and act/react accordinglly.

Alcohol- Contratry to popular belief, this is the most lethal drug to the masses. Did you know the body cannot tolerate alcohol of any kind by injection? (Don't try this....)
Marijuana- Naturally around for centuries, cultivated to prime potency through time, has not directly killed anyone who has taken it?
Cocaine- The drug that lets you know you make too much money. Can be lethal depending on how it is "cut". Users never know how pure this is?! You could have "prime rib", or be snorting Garbage....To find out what you have can be lethal.....
Heroin- A dead wo(man) walking. Cousin of cocaine, but older. The drug that actually causes PHYSIOLOGICAL symptoms and can even manifest itself into every cell of your body. (Note: Alcohol does this also, depending on DNA).
Xtasy- I don't know about this one, but I don't trust things made with Amonia and Comet. Especially those not trained in Chemistry....Word is it raises your body temperature to "fry" you from the inside out.
Huffing Glue- Sadly, I had a client with this problem who could not figure out how he got to my home.....Literally eats brain cells. In some counties glue products are behind the counter....(Where I live).

I Thank God that I never got consumed by these and other drugs, and kept my Art close to me to keep me fulfilled. I've had friends, family members, fall off from drugs. It is not a pretty sight. But to stay on subject, What works for SOME could be a labor for others..... :rolleyes:

Just my opinion folks...Take care...

Matti
01-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Heroin- A dead wo(man) walking. Cousin of cocaine, but older.

Hello, how can heroin be a cousin of cocaine? They are from two different plant, and coke is "up" and heroine is "down". Or am I wrong? I'm not sure...

I've tried to paint after a few beer, and a couple of times after a joint, and I promise you, I have never paint so incredibly BAD! I will never paint while drunk or stoned again. I've quit smoking and almost drinking too. I think a sober life is a happier life.

primitive_rust
01-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Nope, you're right. Heroin is derived from morphine and cocaine, coca plant.
One's an upper, the other's a downer.

On the other hand, back in my "X" days, the stuff wasn't made from comet. It was made from heroin and made your spine bleed and destroyed all bits of
calcium and iron in your body which made bones break verrrry easily. My teeth started breaking, got cists on the back of my neck, suddenly got kidney, bladder and liver problems which I never had before. Yep - bad stuff.

The moral of that story is - I never trust any drug man made. People have a way of screwing up even the best things. :-/

But anyway, back to the point - no, I've never tried to create while under the influence of anything. I get such a "high" off the creative lift alone - why would I need to? There isn't a drug out there that can give me the unity with the piece I'm creating and euphoria I feel during the process.
Maybe I'm gettin old. :P I've had my days of experimenting with that stuff, and now that it's over, I enjoy the natural highs. I tend to hold to my heritage.. drugs should be a spiritual tool. It's too easy though to let that get out of hand.

My two cents. =)

cheers,
~MX

vladimirb
01-26-2005, 11:24 AM
yes i sometimes do, caffeine makes me get impatient and pot tends to calm me, so i need to take both. Alcohol can be good too....

curly McCozy
01-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Did you know:

Alcohol consumption can increase the speed at which a person may learn a new language by up to 10x. the same goes for learning to dance.

has anyone ever tried staying awake for about 4 days until you get high from sleep deprivation and then creating? sleep deprivation is a great hallucinagen. and it's free!!!

grunch
01-31-2005, 05:15 PM
When I was in college we were assigned to draw or paint a corner of a room. I forgot about it until it was due the next day. I had been drinking that night, got to my room and remembered I had to do it. I quickly made a drawing using pen and ink. I won third prize!

When I was a pot user. My highness always gave me good ideas. When I smoked I got very creative. I have heard of people saying that when stoned you ideas are great but when you are sober they do not. My ideas have always been good, stoned or sober. I no longer use drugs and rarely drink, my ideas keep on coming. :evil:

queerose
02-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Sometimes I sniff the markers while I'm painting... N/R

:)

queerose
02-05-2005, 11:36 AM
N/R means not really.

:)

rjKing
02-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Caffeine does nothing for me. I can drink a whole pot coffee and go right to sleep. And I'm not talking Folgers.

One beer and and I'm done for the evening as far as art is concerned. And I'm a total wimp as far as the illicit stuff is concerned. Not for me, thank you. I've got enough problems with the personalities I've got without creating new ones!

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to Starbucks for five gallons to go.:evil:

LOL!

Avie
02-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Sometimes when I am kinda 'highstrung' I can't sit long enough to draw and I will have a cocktail to settle down. I drink loads of coffee in the AM, but not for a buzz or anything...

I did this one around Christmas time while consuming screwdrivers and watching 'Elf' LOL...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2005/6644-screwdriver.jpg

Avie :D

Kristina9178
02-14-2005, 01:29 AM
In my wild days, I would write poetry while "high"...though when I go back and read it now, I can only guess where I was. I've just recently begun replacing my pen with a paintbrush, but I do not anticipate any chemical influences.

Can't live without my coffee, though...or my cabernet. I like to have a couple of glasses of wine sometimes when writing, just because I am usually very critical of myself and don't take risks...a little buzz helps me loosen up. Funny how my first painting ever is a still life with a bottle of cabernet.

If I can only figure out the best way to do it without messing it up....

janesays
03-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Yes, I've done some conceptualizing on pot. I find I'm not so successful painting while high on pot. I tend to feel like I'm swaying and the chattering in my head about what hue to use or why becomes overwhelming, and I don't get a whole lot done because I'm so impaired when I'm high. My vision or my sight becomes oversensitive when I'm high. I can't focus it and I feel too dizzy.

drollere
03-18-2005, 12:12 PM
i use the chronic consistently, but infrequently; usually in a spate of days and then not for a month or two.

half the time i have a glass of wine or two as i work. usually bugs drown in it before i've drained the cup.

does coffee count? only in the morning, two cups to start the pump.

i find the occasional buzz is helpful to loosen the belt, follow a whim, try new things, go sketch, etc. i don't work PWI (painting while intoxicated) on big paintings because it's a big cost if i get sloppy.

i've never done really good work while stoned, though at the time it seems as if i do.

i think people practice states of mind. if you are tense, you are also practicing being tense, reinforcing the habit of being tense. if you are stoned, you're practicing being stoned. i think the only way i grow as a painter is practicing a good painting state of mind, and because i don't do my best work stoned, i'm in some way wasting my time when i get so.

Inali
04-02-2005, 05:19 PM
I used to think that my art was better after puff-puff-passing... but then when I sobered up.. I realized it was crap. I can't even pick up a pencil when I'm drunk. So I wouldn't work on my art while high. I don't "smoke" or drink anymore though. I do have a friend, however, who smokes weed all the time and it does help him whip out some awesome drawings.

sarahbellum
04-07-2005, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=curly McCozy]Did you know:

Alcohol consumption can increase the speed at which a person may learn a new language by up to 10x. the same goes for learning to dance.

QUOTE]
This makes sense--both are activities that you can do better when you are relaxed and non-anxious.

If you already speak a second language, you may find you speak it better after a drink or two. I know that is true for me. in fact when I have had more than two drinks, I tend to throw in words of both languages in conversation without realizing it, making me unintelligible to anyone who doesn't speak both.

zappazorn
04-21-2005, 06:40 AM
i have many times with marijuana and created music while on lsd. i dont do drugs anymore. but the expiriences were amazing. i never truly new what creating art was until i played guitar while tripping. truly one of the most amazing expiriences of my life. oh,dont do drugs.

DBSullivan
04-28-2005, 01:40 AM
I don't drink alchohol, therefore the term "this bud's for you" has an entirely different meaning for me :D

Do I work high? Ummmm.... yeah. But it doesn't enhance (or detract) my creativity or my ability. It does enhance my concentration though; well... that and Pink Floyd!

sonyabologna
05-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Well, seeing the amazing quality of your work, I don't think anyone can make the argument that pot is bad for you. :)

SeanPoole
05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
What's everyone so paranoid about????
I'm not saying anything either!!
:cat: Am I hallucinating or is that smiley is turning into a cat!!! :wink2:

DBSullivan
05-09-2005, 04:30 PM
:cat: Am I hallucinating or is that smiley is turning into a cat!!! :wink2:
You must be hallucinating... I don't see anything! (of course my eyes are half-closed - lol)

Lancaster, huh? I'm in Bethlehem, just a hop, skip, and a 2 hr drive up 222. Small world, huh? Also, if you're not familiar with the history of Paradise, PA (just down the road from you on Rt 30), it was founded by a woman named Marie Ferree in the 1700's. And I'm a direct decendant of her. We just had a national reunion last year with almost 200 people showing up. That's a really cool area!

Also, I like your work and how you incorporate the whole music issue. Very original!

Wecome to WC! :wave:

KetchikanSculptor
05-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Funny I would run across this tread right now. I forgot just how great of a buzz one can get from a good workout. 30 minute quick passed walk... 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer... or a good soak in the sun... Alaska style of course is a great way to get the day going for that legal and natural high. When I was in my early 20's I was more creative and energetic when pot smoke induced. If the quality was there or not it was harder to tell at that age as I was far to critical of my work then. To many people trying to get me to run in other directions..... Got told way to many times that being an artist is not a "real" job or "profession" hummmf!

antgeek
06-21-2005, 01:48 AM
I quit smoking pot about 20 years ago. in the last 6 months i have been doing a lot of oil painting and drawing and looking at the world thru an artist's eyes, and i sometimes feel like in the smokin' old days, lose track of time, happy for no reason, thrilled to be alive. absolutely giddy that people have bought a few of my paintings. i feel stoned on art. it's incredible! :cat:

Kamaranoir
07-04-2005, 07:38 PM
I pretty much gave up all my drug use in 1987 - I was creative before, creative during and creative after.
I would have to say it was a different kind of creating when I was using though. Not better or worse just different. Although I tend to draw better on speed than I do without. I used to sit and actually work on a drawing for hours without any distractions.

Pot - Writing and sculpting - wax carving
Speed - drawing and writing - photography
Alcohol - writing - sometimes drawing - designing jewelry-photography
Coke- writing

I still drink although not like I used to (I was a pretty heavy drinker)
I had a high tolerance for all substances and did more in a few short years than Im sure people do in many years.
Reason for quitting -- I got bored. I got tired of the same old predictable outcome. Get high, come down. Get high, come down. Round and round and I decided to get off the ride. I quit for myself, by myself.

Do I regret it? No. I learned a lot of things about myself - I actually had a lot of fun - there were also scary times and times I should have died and didnt. I would never go back and change what happened.
I dont have the desire to use anything now but drink occasionally. Im not going to judge anyone who wants to use. We all have to make that decision for ourselves.

My newest venture is into making glass beads and I plan on saving those glasses of alcohol for when Im done for the day at the torch - I definately want to be clear headed when playing with fire <EG> LOL

Penelle

Jettboy
07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
I used to get some of my best ideas while smoking a big 'ol fatty, but would find myself lacking the depth of concentration and the fine motor skills to actually paint. All of my grand ideas would be jotted down in 'quick sketch' mode in a little notebook I kept near my stash box and bong. Of course, there were mornings when I'd wake up, clear my head with a cup o' joe and recall a great idea I had for a new painting when I was blasted. Then I'd look at the the quick thumbnail sketches from the night before and say "...what the hell was I thinking?!"

These days my pot smoking is so sporadic as to be non-existent; in fact I haven't fired one up for at least three years. Not that I haven't wanted to; it's just that I have waaaaay too much to lose to even consider the risk of getting busted and tossed in the hoosegow, even just for simple possession. My work hasn't suffered from absence of my old friend MaryJane, though; I still get great ideas, it just takes a bit more effort to shake them loose from the 'ol subconcious.

NYIllustrator
07-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Have always been clear or drugs. To keep the mind pure. Never really got the appeal for some reason..

However, the occasional punch cigar or flavored tabacco in my hookah will open the gates to the creative wonderland.

Often I will smoke while sketching but not while painting.

I also have endulged in the green fairy.

danwoodward
07-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I have just joined wet canvas and became interested in this thread, because it is truly a multidimensional issue !

Painting whilst high ? High on creativity ? High on life ? High on raw food ? Caffeine ? LSD ? God ?

What about painting to get high ? I find one of the crucial factors for me, at this stage, over whether something turns out of anything or not is patience, is being in the momment, concentration, focus, being present and not rushing to a foregone conclusion. In this sense, painting could be considered a concentrative meditation which is indeed an altered state which some could call being 'high'.

Another factor is the light and force within a painting, which often reflects something of the internal configuration of its maker. The undefineable 'prime of styles' that is in Chang dynasty bronze, Inca stonework, shamanic textiles and totems, the primordial spiritual style that comes forth as an organic unfolding of our configuration of being. Coming 'back' from a spiritual state, or being high, through whatever means, it makes less difference than you may think, and then translating the vision, channelling something of that energy into a vessel such as art so other eyes may percieve it, is a "high ideal" for art, I think.

Stuartdmt
08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Ah...Art School in the 70s! What I can remember of it seems to have been a productive period and quite creative as well. Difficult to see clearly that far back due to all the smoke!

I know I did a lot of work in notebooks and sketchbooks while in an altered state, and I know that later I'd harvest ideas from those books for larger scale works. I also did a large series of oil sketches "under the influence" which still hold up pretty well today. I never could work with booze in my system...even beer or wine - the canvas or paper always seemed to be moving around!

These days all I can say is: With a brain chemistry like mine I don't need drugs!

danwoodward
08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
the painter Mati Klairwein said "I AM drugs."

Why, if I don't get high through painting why would I waste the time ?

Related to this issue, looking at great art can also be considered a 'high'.

I would ask everyone reading this thread to attempt to approach their cultural conditioning around the issue of plants, drugs and art, and realise much of our 'personal opinions' is just what we've been told throughout our upbringing.

Whilst chemicals are used for escapism and are extremely personally and socially disintegrating, many of the psychoactive plants that exist on this earth are used as 'teachers' by our original wise men and women and doctors. From that place, form the place of symbol and cosmic logos, flowed some of our earliest and most beautiful arts !

Stuartdmt
08-11-2005, 03:49 PM
the painter Mati Klairwein said "I AM drugs."

Why, if I don't get high through painting why would I waste the time ?

Related to this issue, looking at great art can also be considered a 'high'.

I would ask everyone reading this thread to attempt to approach their cultural conditioning around the issue of plants, drugs and art, and realise much of our 'personal opinions' is just what we've been told throughout our upbringing.

Whilst chemicals are used for escapism and are extremely personally and socially disintegrating, many of the psychoactive plants that exist on this earth are used as 'teachers' by our original wise men and women and doctors. From that place, form the place of symbol and cosmic logos, flowed some of our earliest and most beautiful arts !

Thank you, Dan! Well put!

beadguy
08-14-2005, 09:00 AM
I think that applies to almost all of life, Dan. Nice work.
Nic

beadguy
08-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Good point. This is another kind of maturity, I think.

It is quite dangerous to do recreational drugs during the teenage years before the brain is fully formed. Later on in the mid to late twentys it doesn't cause as much damage. The dendrites formed under the influence of pot are weak and the hippocampus (the part of the brain that tags memories for later retrieval) seems to lose its way, so we have short-term memory loss as a result.

The mind is somewhat anoxic during pot smoking, which allows for some bizarre imaginings that often, as you said above, appear stupid the next day.

I have worked while stoned and found, again like you, that fine motor coordination is lacking but large muscle coordination is somehow freed up. My drawings were all very loose and free of detail. Some were even worth using for later, more refined works. Pot, for me was an uninhibitor and pacifier that I, have long since abandoned.
Nic

FireRaven
08-28-2005, 12:46 AM
I know the poll question related more to illegal substances, but I gotta tell you...when I've had IV steroids at high doses to quell an acute exacerbation of the MS, I'm higher than a kite -- don't sleep, am restless, you name it. If it wasn't for my visual journals and art supplies that I keep both in the house and outside the studio, I'd probably pace the whole night.

In that sense, drawing/painting/creating anything is actually a life saver because after 3 to 5 days of the stuff in my system, I'm usually ready to go out of my skull -- but that's just me.

-FireRaven

p-jay
09-07-2005, 01:00 AM
this very subject has been on my mind lately, so it's interesting to read this thread.
I have painted while high, and I enjoy painting high, but the work usually sucks. occasionally I have produced a painting that turned out really well, but those works tend to be the exception. (although the same could be said of my painting in a "normal" state of mind!) I do find smoking some pot allows me to see things in a different way, and that is seductive, but the usual outcome is trash. Someone else said, and I agree, I can conceive interesting ideas, but I can't implement them. Because I am just learning to paint, I mostly prefer to paint in a normal state of mind, and of course, once you're into it, painting is its own reward. I don't mind getting high and painting once in a while, but if I did it all the time, I know I would not be able to advance to the level of art-making that I am aiming for.
But occasionally, it stirs things up a bit. Maybe when I am more technically proficient, getting high to paint will work out better.
Or maybe not.

cheers from PJ

White Rose
09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I have to say YES I do my best work when I am high. HIGH ON PAINTING that is.....;) WHen I am working on a painting, my whole body, mind & soul go into another dimentia - very much like some euphoric drug induced experience. The longer I work, the higher I get. So many people think I am smoking up when they interrupt me during a painting session, because they say I seem to be quite stoned. I think that I get so involved in my work that it takes some time to return to their reality, hence they see me as all drugged out on something. People do make such wrong opinions, don't they?
Booze makes me a sloppy painter, MJ makes me sad and miserable so that I just sit there and cry about all the sadness in the world, caffeine makes me perky and working on my art makes me high. There. That's my answer....

mtnest
09-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Not a good idea when playing with fire and molten glass :eek: So the answer for me is a resounding NO!

bridog
09-13-2005, 09:21 AM
My thoughts on mind-altering drugs are somewhat neutral. I have experimented in my younger art college years with LSD, Mushrooms, pot and some pharmaceuticals. (never did cocaine, crack, heroin or the likes.) It seems to me that a lot of the time then I wasn't doing creative activities (I was in the company of friends or hanging out in a club)
I will say that with age I drifted away from chemicals as I left my teens (I didn't do much so my head & mind didn't get messed up like a few of my friends)
Just for the record: In my opinion I don't see any harm if one wants to experience the occasional marijuana buzz. No worse than drinking alcohol. It depends on the individual as to how they use/abuse it. I do not consider myself dependent, for it is every once in a blue moon that I may get an opportunity to try some. I also don't smoke it, instead prefer to eat it.
a while back I remember being under the influence of an ingested grass high.
What I experienced was an interesting "state of focus" while working in my studio later that night. My creative energy was already flowing beforehand, and I found I could paint for hours while under the influence. Then finally it wore off and went to sleep.

an honest person answering an honest question

LinneaL
09-18-2005, 12:20 PM
My high is music. Can't stand to paint without it! Especially the sixties folk greats. Arlo Guthrie, Joan Baez, Ian & sylvia etc. Isn't that a darn good high?

Ian Bruce
09-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I guess its like beer, and darts and pool--a little subdues the over-rational calculations and allows instinct to inform your performance, a lot makes you an idiot.

danwoodward
09-21-2005, 01:15 PM
My current feeling is that art is an activity that actually requires a high level of functioning. This depends, of course on what kind of painting one does. For me, my intention is to translate momments of my life where there is a very clear and profound feeling, thus I demand a lot of myself in both subject and technique. The way I paint demand concentration as I work within 'fantastic realism' - myth that has the inner consistency of reality. Therefore I'm learning that impediments are numerous, including, the wrong kind of food, coffee, sugar, dairy, gluten, wheat, etc. My painting is a meditative activity so I find there is a lot that can induce 'noise' or fluctuations that disturb my concentration.
Drugs would also go in the avoid list. However, (and I'm going to sound somewhat wacky now, but I believe its only responsible to speak from ones own experience, even if it diverges from the concensus) the occassional recourse to psychedelic plants have both improved my sensitivity to form and colour, as well as helped me work through some aspects of my psychological makeup that had blockages to flowing creativity. Of course, this is a process that takes a long time and patience, and I'm not trying to convince anyone. And this is not a self-destructive activity. Instead I regard this once-every season sacrament a medicine. It is overconsumerism and pollution that are bad for my mind, not the occasional 'gratuitious grace' from plants that spring from the same majestic tree of life as ourselves !

pushkin
09-21-2005, 06:14 PM
don't get high, it's really dumb.

sonyabologna
09-21-2005, 06:17 PM
That whole "Just say no" thing never really worked in the 80s.

chuckie
09-22-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it is NOT, in fact, illegal to get high.
Sorry, but it is illegal. THC is a Schedule 1 controlled substance. Schedule 1 controlled substances are deemed by the federal government to 1.) have a high potential for abuse, 2.) has no current accepted medical use and 3.) is lacking acceptable safety for use, even under medical supervision. Schedule 1 substances are illegal to possess in all but the most rare of circumstances, usually involving medical or military research.

NOTE: If your marijuana contains NO THC, then it's O.K. to posess it. All you hemp jewelry artists can relax. The Canadians we import our hemp from are required to "squeeze out the juice..."

Now I'm not saying the above statements are true, personally, I think the government is full of it regarding this issue. I think the medical community has proven marijuana's usefulness, it's just the government doesn't want to admit it is wrong about anything.

"21 United States Code section 844 (a) makes possession of any amount of a conrolled substance a crime. 21 USC Section 812, schedule 1, (c)(10) lists marijuana as a controlled substance. 21 USC Section 844(a) provides for a punishment of up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine or both for possession (of any amount) of such a controlled substance." Quoted from medicalmarijuanaprocon dot org, a proponent of making the medical use of THC legal.

The cops just don't have time to deal with everyone who tokes a little behind closed doors. Like one of my previous employers said, "If I fired everybody who works for me that smokes weed, I wouldn't be able to keep this place running." There's just not enough room in the jails.

It sucks, but it's a fact. If it weren't for the above facts, I probably wouldn't have quit smoking it in the 80's when employers started screening for it.

Char

chuckie
09-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Acid and realism don't mix! ... Kind of ‘ultimate doodle art’.
Here's one for you I think you'll find this interesting. It is a series of sketches done during a research experiment on the effects of LSD. Each new sketch lists how long after the initial dose the drawing was done, a quote from the artist and a description of his actions at that time.

http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip1.html

You can tell when he "peaked" and "crashed."

danwoodward
09-22-2005, 04:33 AM
"Don't get high, its really dumb"

This is a bizzare statement. Please can we have a mature debate not coming from some brainwashed place. Humans are motivated to find happiness and reduce pain - the reason many here paint is because it brings a heightened consciousness.

As for being 'dumb' - I have a degree in fine art and a master of science in sustainable community development. I make my living from art and work freelance - my lifestyle involves a high level of coordination and like I say I have not experienced any impairment through my use of these medicines.

"Sorry, but it is illegal. THC is a Schedule 1 controlled substance. Schedule 1 controlled substances are deemed by the federal government to 1.) have a high potential for abuse, 2.) has no current accepted medical use and 3.) is lacking acceptable safety for use, even under medical supervision. Schedule 1 substances are illegal to possess in all but the most rare of circumstances, usually involving medical or military research."

Were we just talking about THC ? Here in Europe the attitude is much more relaxed. Here in Europe, mushrooms are legal to consume if picked fresh, and many other substances are decriminalised. In Brazil many traditional psychedelic plant medicines are legal.

To me, its not plants, but refined products such as alcoholic drinks and chemicals that cause problems.

pushkin
09-22-2005, 04:52 AM
To Dan Woodward - I don't think it's bizarre at all. I don't need illegal chemicals to be happy and fulfilled. I have an honours degree in art and have no idea why that's relevant to you (?). I think that if a person needs drugs to get through the day then something is missing from their lives. Apart from medical reasons of course.

With your qualifications I'm sure you understand that controlled experiments are vastly different from drug abuse?

I think that the last person to be aware of any harmful effects from drugs is the person using them. And do you honestly think that a decriminalised substance is always a safe substance?

DBSullivan
09-22-2005, 05:05 AM
To me, its not plants, but refined products such as alcoholic drinks and chemicals that cause problems.Well put! My personal rule of thumb is.. "if it makes you throw up or lose sleep.. avoid it" - and plants don't do that, do they...

DBSullivan
09-22-2005, 05:09 AM
To Dan Woodward - I don't think it's bizarre at all. I don't need illegal chemicals to be happy and fulfilled. I have an honours degree in art and have no idea why that's relevant to you (?). I think that if a person needs drugs to get through the day then something is missing from their lives. Apart from medical reasons of course.

With your qualifications I'm sure you understand that controlled experiments are vastly different from drug abuse?

I think that the last person to be aware of any harmful effects from drugs is the person using them. And do you honestly think that a decriminalised substance is always a safe substance?Uh-oh! I think sombody needs a joint!

danwoodward
09-22-2005, 07:09 AM
"I don't need illegal chemicals to be happy and fulfilled."

I don't either. I don't need anything, in fact, to feel fulfilled because I feel endlessly blessed. However, this doesn't mean that I judge other people if they want to occassionally alter their state of being through the medicines God has placed on the Earth. I believe psychoactives have a great role to play in future medicine, particularly psychotherapy.

"I think that if a person needs drugs to get through the day then something is missing from their lives."

I agree, if someone needs drugs to get through the day, then certainly they need to work on their psychological issues, and really allow themselves to feel the pain that they are suppressing.

"I think that the last person to be aware of any harmful effects from drugs is the person using them. And do you honestly think that a decriminalised substance is always a safe substance?"

If a certain plant is illegal in one country but legal in another, does it mean that when it passes between countries that it fundamentally changes in nature ? Or is it people and societies that differ ? Or just governments ? For instance, here in Europe many things are decriminalised or legal here that arn't in America. We've found that the biggest dangers to people wanting to use soft drugs are often the harsh laws that create fear, paranoia, criminal syndicates, and cross association with other underworld activities. When its brought to the surface and accepted, the darkness that comes from suppression ceases to exist.

It doesn't mean the drugs cease to have harmful effects, but this is in the juristiction of the individual, their family and community to deal with. It is highly unlikely that a healthy community would breed unhealthy use of these medicines.

It is too easy to scapegoat these tools that God has given us. Instead we'd prefer to think the negativity is coming outside of us or is being done to us. We have only to change ourselves. Then we can see more clearly, that, for instance nature is essentially innocent, as are we. And when we marry plants with man it is not neccesarily something aweful and toxic. It can be medicinal, it can be beautiful.

The fear and paranoia that its all damaging, illegal and dangerous, is very bound to certain types of cultures and people. This is just a fear-based mindset. There are other ways of being that acknowledge our relatedness to the plant kingdom in much more intimate and magical ways than you can imagine, and it may be that much of the healing of humankind may be achieved through skillful use of these medicines in context to purging the illnesses and blockages of the mind. :angel:

pushkin
09-22-2005, 09:49 AM
I am not frightened or paranoid. I watched my cousin kill herself with heroin and destroy her family, including her 2 children. Get off your soapbox and get a life Dan.

chuckie
09-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Were we just talking about THC ? Here in Europe the attitude is much more relaxed. Here in Europe, mushrooms are legal to consume if picked fresh, and many other substances are decriminalised. In Brazil many traditional psychedelic plant medicines are legal.

To me, its not plants, but refined products such as alcoholic drinks and chemicals that cause problems.

Dan,

American law is a funny animal. When the government first put THC on the list, it was because the researchers had isolated the reactive agent of marijuana and banned THC. After many court battles over "plant vs chemical," the government added a clause to specify their meaning. They named the plant and any derivitives thereof. Mushrooms are on the list, too. In case you didn't know there are 5 Controlled Substance Schedules, with #1 being the most controlled.

American government is another story. Once they get their hands into something, they don't like to let go. People have the need to justify their jobs, and if it takes getting a little psycho over it, that's just what happens. In this case, and even with herbal medications, the government refuses to admit it is wrong about marijuana, or anything else for that matter.

The local governments make a lot of money from fines given to the people caught with small amounts of weed. And they make big bucks when they catch the dealers. They almost always arrange the bust when the drugs and money are together. And they get to keep the house or car and everything in them if they find enough so they can auction it all off.

Did you know the FDA here is even trying to regulate herbal supplements? Their justification is if you put it into your body to improve it's function or health, it's being used as a drug.

Char

bridog
09-22-2005, 10:33 AM
I have to agree with Dan on his comments
Europe has the right idea, and there seems to be more responsibility focused on usage of narcotic substances by many people there, or so I observed in places like the Netherlands (an occasional indulgance similar to having a drink)
Canada my home country is another nation that I think is moving in a more logical direction. Although it is still technically illegal to posess a substance like marajuana, our government has introduced legislation towards decriminalization of small amounts of it for personal use. At the moment it is a small fine that is implemented if you for example get pulled over by police and are caught smoking a dube while driving....Art Garfunkel take note here...lol
(by the way I don't believe it is a wise idea to smoke & drive while high.)
This new legislation will allow the authorities to concentrate on illegal traffiking and pursuing harsher manufactured chemical substances.
The zero tolerance policy of the United States is something that is a bit unfair I think towards its citizens. I don't thinik possession of small amounts for personal consumption should land people in jail or give them a criminal record. Just my opinion.

danwoodward
09-22-2005, 11:51 AM
"I am not frightened or paranoid. I watched my cousin kill herself with heroin and destroy her family, including her 2 children. Get off your soapbox and get a life Dan."

Make war with ideas, but never men.
I also have a cousin, coincidentally, who destroyed himself with heroin. His personal irresponsibility was extremely harmful to the family. But if he couldn't get his hands on opiates then it would be alcohol, or it would be whatever he could get off the doctor. You see what I'm getting at ?

sonyabologna
09-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Pushkin, it's sad about your cousin, but all that it means is that some people shouldn't take some drugs.

Cars kill by far more people than drugs - would you post in a forum discussing cars, "don't drive or ride in cars, it's really dumb"?

chuckie
09-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Dan and Pushkin,

Both of you stand at extreme opposites on this issue. While I tend to lean toward Dan's viewpoint on the subject, I have to respect Pushkin's view. Being the family member witnessing the self-destruction of a close relative or friend is indeed a desperate and futile feeling. I wasn't planning on sharing this, but I see a storm brewing between the two of you.

Dan, you are right about the addict's part in their own demise. I should know. I've tried every drug that was out there in the 70s and early 80s. Some of them were easy to keep from invading my every thought, mostly the unprocessed, organic ones. I had my share of mind-altering, enlightening trips into the world beyond our natural senses.

Some of the drugs were insidious. They were treacherous and seductive. And physically addictive. Heroin is addictive, it physically changes the way your brain processes information. When it makes those changes, your body craves those chemicals. Chronic addiction sucks the life out of you. Cocaine does the same thing, but changes different chemicals. Distilled cocaine (crack) was the most rapidly addictive substance I ever tried. I tried it ONE night and it took me six weeks to conquer the cravings.

Part of the addiction process is the personality, personal history and the biological makeup of the addict. Some people are more easily addicted. I'm one of them. I have to stay far, far away from drugs. Moved from California to the east coast to get away from them... Some people, once hooked, are never, ever going to make it out alive. Pushkin, I'm so sorry that your cousin was one of them. I've watched so many people do that to themselves.

I'm one of the lucky ones that for some personal reason or by God's good grace (or both), who was able to pull myself out of the cesspool of addiction. It might have been the fact that it was too damned hot during Central CA summer to be wearing long sleeves to cover needle marks. Perhaps it was the day I OD'd on meth and laid there semi-conscious and unable to speak on the floor listening to my buddies discuss whether or not it was safe for them to take me to the hospital without getting busted. Maybe it was the day I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror crawling around on the floor looking for crack that might have been dropped during the party the previous night. Maybe it was that thought my dad had long planted in my head that my destiny was to be the first in our family to go to college and make something more of myself than a blue collar worker. I did finally make it to college, by the way, but not until after I conquered my addiction.

Once you're truely addicted, it takes something from the inside to make it back into the real world. For whatever reason, your cousin couldn't find it. There's nothing you or any family member could have done to help. I want you to understand that. There was NOTHING you could have personally done to stop what happened. I hope you and your family can find a way to stop beating yourselves up over what happened. Your cousin, along with many others, succumbed to the beast she invited within and was unable to evict.

Char

pushkin
09-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks Chuckie, I do understand all the issues surrounding it. I just think that life is way too precious to take any chances. My cousin took drugs because she couldn't handle some really tough aspects of her life, in her illness it was the only way she could cope. I have a lot of respect for her. I too have had some really hard times but have found other ways to deal with it. I hate that others go through what our family went through and that it will continue to happen.

Incidentally I do agree with some of Dan's points but gladly don't have his black & white view on life. I haven't attacked any of his opinions ....

danwoodward
09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
thanks chuckie for that bracing honesty.
Peace, Pushkin. Please, do not leap into thinking I have a black and white view. Its hard sometimes to go into every complexity of life and choices on an internet forum. I am not trying to convert anyone, just trying to be honest to my own experiences. I think I've said enough on this thread, I've just joined the forum and do not want to grind my axe too much on this single issue.
I thank you for dancing the opposing viewpoint with me and wish you well.

chuckie
09-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I too have had some really hard times but have found other ways to deal with it. If you really look into what happened to your cousin, you'll probably find someone who influenced her initial choices. It is so important to choose your friends wisely.

I think I've said enough on this thread, I've just joined the forum and do not want to grind my axe too much on this single issue. Hey, don't go away Dan. Welcome to America (at least from my WC perspective)! Land of free speech and the right to express whatever opinion you so desire!! :wave: There's a big battle going on in the medical community over the use of some drugs on the US hit list. Perspective from other countries which are dealing with these same issues may help opponents here understand better.

Char

pushkin
09-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Dan,

; - ) that's cool, I'm all argued out. Am also feeling very sorry for myself as I have fallen down stairs at home and hurt my back : - (

Alex22
09-28-2005, 12:04 AM
No,not really,my studio is in my house basement/den:D :) All right,seriously I don't smoke or drink.Althought some fumes from thinner may be influencial in getting high on people;) that's why I keep a lot of ventilation.

JuniperDelVal
10-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Well, I firmly believe we should host a brown café evening & find out.

JuniperDelVal
10-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Its probably a reaction to a wine compound, or something in the preservation. You could try *new* Beaujolais in mid- to late Nov.

I can't drink reds for the tannins. The sulph? no, can't drink anything that preserves with sulph.

so, that leaves me with everything else...

osidianrose
10-09-2005, 08:52 PM
My opinion on drugs and artwork has stood solid: Drugs are for people that don't have enough imagination, motivation, or insanity at the time to tap into a crazy mindset while sober.

That's all a drug is and everything is considered a drug in some way, shape, or form.

BUT Marijuana...pfffft...that is such a cliche.

AlisonBC
10-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Never ever! But then I've never 'done' drugs and don't drink alcohol...so it would be kind of hard lol.

I have done some angry sketches while very low though...

art :)

D. Phoinix Porter
10-25-2005, 01:30 AM
I have a chronic illness that sometimes requires pain-meds. I'm not really sure if they have any sort of high involved since they mostly just make me feel hung over.. Without the fun part. If we count caffeine as a drug though, I must plead guilty as charged. It usually takes a while for me to get going and a cup of coffee (ok - you beat it out of me... two cups of coffee) speeds things along a bit (wow listen to THAT rationalization!). So in the sense that anything gets done when it does… I guess the caffeine oils the creative machine at least a little bit.

beezleblot
10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Yes and no. Being high can mean many things. Meditation. LSD. Those states may bring one to the wellspring of the creative but as Kubrick once said being an artist needs to work instead of being cosmic all the time. Stimulants and depressants might make you shaky or defocused.

Just as a painter might mimic real objects with skillful use of artifact, one might expect the same for those higher states but sadly that doesn't seem the case at all. I've never seen a film, painting, or anything else quite do it.

I've had a few good sessions with hemp but they were the exception. Eventually the hand/eye coordination begins to fail me. Maybe others can do it, but I have to confess to doing better in a clear state of mind.

I do have to credit altered states for about ninty percent of my inspirations though.

itsart
10-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Mostly meditation...but the occasional joint tooo....have'nt had acid over 20 years but what a trip it would be.....

quadros
10-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes!! a certain herbal remedy has increased my vision considerably,as well as my appetite.

The Dabbler
10-31-2005, 12:08 PM
If I did *hicup* I'd never *toke* admit it *belch*. Where's the poptarts?
All right! ...who stole my paint brush?

LightDancer
11-13-2005, 11:46 AM
I get high on life and on creating. Does that count? :D High on substances? Nope, my own inner enjoyment of life is enough.

Phantelope
11-13-2005, 10:01 PM
My opinion on drugs and artwork has stood solid: Drugs are for people that don't have enough imagination, motivation, or insanity at the time to tap into a crazy mindset while sober.

Really interesting thread here! Funny to see the same old drug war misinformation, but a lot of really good information too. Anyways, I quote the above since in some way I do agree with it. I have done plenty of work while high on something or other, and it does open doors in my mind that I did not even know where there. So, while I'd word the above differently (and with less implied arrogance - at least that's what it sounds like on screen) I'd agree that it helps those that aren't built as close to the rivers of creativity to tap into the flow so to say. I'd consider them tools, tools that have been in use for thousands and thousands of years (not counting the modern day refinded versions like heroin, cocaine, etc) In use for creativity, devining, religion, meditation, and yes, also simply for fun (and what's wrong with fun?)

I can't work really high, I doubt anybody can, I end up mixing paint until it's dry, but a light buzz (1 instead of 3 hits) or working at the end of a trip of sorts can be wonderful, inspiring, and helps me "see" things very differently, which helps me to work with colors or different mediums and I do like most of what I created in such states still all these years later. (yeah, age and other things of life caused a reduction in such escapades...)

but I also believe that people are very different and not everything is for everybody, as has been pointed out well here. And from the above quote, I do agree that there are people that get "high" from painting (or music or sport or collecting happy meal toys or...) and there are interesting studies about what's going on in brain chemistry (surprisingly similar things) in people that are able to just reach these altered states of consciousness by themselves and those that use tools, be they drugs, meditation, isolation, sleep depriviation, fasting, etc etc. The path is different, but the destination is the same.

I have done things while under the influence that simply amazed me the next day, things I had no idea I could do. There were times where I was just some kind of automaton holding the pen or brush or guitar, but something else was doing the painting/drawing/writing/music playing. I cherish those moments if I am aware of them and I'm jealous of those that can get there without any help. Frank Zappa never did any drugs and did amazing things with music. Louis Armstrong smoked pot every day and did amazing things with music. And there are so many artists that worked under the influence or in the afterglow of such experiences. Alex Grey was mentioned, HR Giger, Venosa, Hoffman, Klarwein, most of the 60es poster art, the list goes on and on and on. To discount these as "druggies" or lower class or what ever is really doing everybody a disservice. More research should be done on these things! And it's not only in creative arts, science owes a lot to these substances. Crick had the vision of how DNA works while under the influence of (then legal) LSD. Microsoft and Apple would be nowhere without the couple of drop out trip heads working in their (parent's) garage (read "what the doormouse said") and so on and so on. The reasons that most of these things are illegal are political and not based on medical or any other science. Really a fascinating history to read about. The CIA used LSD and other such substances trying to find "truth serums" or ways to turn enemy armies into laughing fools (read "Acid Dreams").

Drugs have dangers, but so does everything else in life. Most drug deaths are by alcohol and nicotine (well, cancer causing agents in ciggys) followed by OTC and prescription drug deaths. There are no deaths reported in relation to MJ. There are a few people that did stupid things like "fly" out a window while high on LSD, but those are very rare cases and hardly warrant making LSD illegal - after all, cars are perfectly legal and way more lethal. LSD and other psychedelics are completely benign and non addictive in any way. But they are not toys, they are power tools to be handled with knowledge and respect. You'd not give a kid or an unstable person a chainsaw to play with either. MDMA (XTC) was used for decades in psychiatry and psychology with great results. Most heroin fatalities are caused by inconsistent strength and cleanlyness of materials on the black market (==> OD). You could turn a hundred years old addicted to that stuff if you could have a steady supply of known quality from your local drugstore. Prohibition prohibits that.

Not to make light of the tragic death mentioned here before, one of my best friends died of heroin addiction (that he hid so well that only very few knew about it) not too long ago. He went through rehab 3 times, but the siren's call was too strong to resist I guess. I miss him dearly and always will.

Well, this got longer than I thought, sorry for the ramble. I don't think anybody should do drugs, drink, smoke, overeat or become obsessed with sports or anything, but people do. Putting correct and unbiased information out there is key. The best place to score drugs is any highschool in America. Kids can get anything. Give them good information based on fact, not on politics. They do listen but they won't believe you once they had their first joint that this is an evil weed. Nor will they believe information about the really dangerous drugs.

Of course, prohibition is a perpetuum mobile money machine on both sides, the dealers get incredibly rich and the DEA and (private and state/federal) prisons rake in millions of money, neither side wants to give that up, neither side is interested in ending prohibition.

Stay on top of things, be informed, make smart decisions. Don't just follow self proclaimed or "elected" leaders, make up your own mind, go from there. Don't trust just one side, listen to all.

Oh, and paint some nice pictures!

Ph

dejaclairevoyant
11-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Back in my stoner days (like RIGHT when I became a stoner) the most common thing I would do is paint after I got high. But the bad thing is I feel weed kills your motivation and creativity in the long run, and after some time of using the drug I never got those magical creative highs like I used to, all Id wanna do is watch tv. Now I done smoke that much and dont consider myself a stoner anymore at all. I find my art to be more of a real spiritual thing now, I look to god and my inner self instead of to a drug.

kimber lee
11-26-2005, 08:30 AM
well since i am bipolar i am in a manic state most of the time, so getting high would probably ruin my creativity streak, although i used too years ago paint while drunk, but im so muchnbetter of an artist now that i was 15 years ago, (isnt everyone?)my pantings would always turn out sucky, bye!!!:clap:

MadMaddy
11-27-2005, 10:06 AM
never when high but a good alcohol buzz works well for me. of course, i am as my friends call me, a lightweight when it comes to alcohol; so one glass of good merlot and that takes me there. much more than that and the painting looks as if it is moving on the canvas.

Hisart
12-19-2005, 10:38 AM
I've been clean since 11/13/91.
Before that it was a hard race to hell that I nearly finished.
Everything on my site (http://www.Hisart.us)has been made within the last five years and without chemical assistance. {contrary to popular opinion}

Jettboy
12-19-2005, 10:53 AM
I've been clean since 11/13/91.
Before that it was a hard race to hell that I nearly finished.
Everything on my site (http://www.Hisart.us)has been made within the last five years and without chemical assistance. {contrary to popular opinion}

No way! I looked at your site; you had to have been blasted, ya' stoner! Just ribbing you, amigo, you DO have some really beautiful work. Ever do any small carvings? Accept commissions? I have a couple of small chunks of fossil mammoth ivory I've been meaning to do something with for years...

Hisart
12-19-2005, 03:06 PM
No way! I looked at your site; you had to have been blasted, ya' stoner! Just ribbing you, amigo, you DO have some really beautiful work. Ever do any small carvings? Accept commissions? I have a couple of small chunks of fossil mammoth ivory I've been meaning to do something with for years...

Way, dude!:D I squeak!

Don't tell anyone but the Bolo (http://www.hisart.us/pagethree9.html) is an Avacado pit! :D {Really!}

I do commissions and this is not a solicitation.

Fossil? :confused: Like Stoned bone?:eek:

dex
12-27-2005, 07:58 AM

ask someone else to hold it for you!!(couldn't resist this one!:) ):D

takeshi iwasawa
12-30-2005, 05:35 AM
In my younger days...I used paint drunk or stoned.
Damn! I miss the good ole days, may be I should move back to US.

artbycecilia
12-30-2005, 02:38 PM
I just had to say something here. I don't think I've ever met an artist who hasn't. But, I'll tell you. It took me awhile to begin painting again because I was not stoned or on drugs anymore. It's harder to paint now because I did it stoned for so long. It is the only thing I regret. (They all turned out great by the way, and sure, at the time it was fun) I was a great artist during highschool. Graduated with all art honors and every reward you can think of. I'm having the hardest time getting it back because of drugs. I suffer terrible anxiety due to meth, and it's harder for me to loosen up now. I'm sorry, but even experimenting, I have to say, none of it's good. I don't miss it at all.

cosmic*mouse
01-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeeeeeah...have to say I've done 'em all bar acid (I do NOT need acid! lol!).

Back in the days when I had nothing much to worry about I used to smoke a lot and was probably at my most creative but I gave up ciggies so the weed went too. I just couldn't function properly in my job getting stoned all the time.

On all the other stuff, speed, MDMA etc, I find my brain is really observant and I have some fantastic ideas but can't control my body enough to carry them out and get distracted every 10 seconds trying to hug everything in sight! I found these type of drugs didn't affect the other areas of my life as much, weed made me lazy and lose track of time but with these I could get high and do some great paintings at the weekend and be fine and together again for work Monday (but could always predict the emotional come down on Wednesday!)

I started young, at 13 but can say I haven't really done any hard stuff in about a year, since those long nights up writing papers for uni.

Meditation and being in the present moment work for me now, but I think I can say, that is because I can recreate the joy of being high naturally now my mind has been open to it. I think the experiences have taught me a lot but these days I settle for (as someone else mentioned earlier) a nice glass of (vegan) Syrah!

yum yumm!

foxy_feline
01-08-2006, 02:56 AM
I can't say I've ever tried to paint while high. I tried pot once or twice - found it did nothing for me other than leave a not-so-nice-odour.

I have been under the influence of alcohol (what 21 year old hasn't, lol!), and I can get a heck of a lot of work (not art - haven't tried that yet) done while on a caffiene high!

Usually when I get 'high' (Caffiene and/or alcohol and/or music and friends combo) I'll be out on a dancefloor somewhere. Or being the only female in a 15 person go-karting race. Or getting hauled into a tree as part of a work teambuilding event because I'm one of the lightest ones in the group.

No easel in sight, lol!

neeeek_nic
01-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Uhh.. I just long to get high on creativity! I've never tried getting high and being creative.

The odd cigarette can often help me when i'm getting/feeling creative... not that i'm encouraging smoking!? ..oops.

:) Nics

foxy_feline
01-11-2006, 06:40 AM
has anyone ever tried staying awake for about 4 days until you get high from sleep deprivation and then creating? sleep deprivation is a great hallucinagen. and it's free!!!

Don't try this at home folks - sleep deprivation can potentially kill you!

Studies have been done, and after 4-6 days without sleep, the body starts to shut down... They didn't take the study through to the natural conclusion you'd expect once the body starts shutting down though - luckily for their test subjects...

finedreams
01-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I never tried pot or any other of that stuff. I probably am the only person in this world who didn't. hahah I was offered few times, but have no interest.

I used to smoke, just quit few years ago. But it did not promote my creativity either way, although quitting promoted coffee drnking and eating a little more.

Alcochol does not go well with arts for me. I used to consume much more than now, although was never a regular drinker. But now I don't even do that. Looks like nothing makes a difference when it to comes to art. Am I boring or something...:)

NW3482
01-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Thats when alot of people get there most creative juices flowing....myself being one:D

Phil Smith
01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't need to be high to create. I'm lucky that way.

eddieooo
01-23-2006, 09:02 PM
If you mean what I think you mean...Its illegal in California. However ,I'd imagine I would spend what whould seem like 2 hours looking for my watercolor brush and then forget my motivation to continue painting, and keep looking for that brush again. Look at the clock and notice that 5 minutes have past.:eek:

jazzook
01-31-2006, 12:48 AM
I find that creating gets me high. The adrenalin rush of creating something from virtually nothing is such a rush.

Spockskitty
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I just think this question is way too vague, because there are SO many 'highs' out there. Cigarettes, caffeine, alcohol, street drugs, prescription drugs, adrenaline.... creativity, ETC. I am sure lots of artists have painted while on one of these.
Just my opinion though. Thanks for listening!

JamieM
02-08-2006, 03:45 PM
ALways, Pot and LSD.

Keith Russell
02-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Making art is its own high.

Certain other things are OK (a good cigar, Jack Daniels, a couple hits off a joint) but they are redundant.

And, too much 'other stuff' interferes.

I've never tried LSD. Given what I paint, no one believes me, but I've always figured it would have the opposite effect on me.

I'd end up painting 'normal'...

Keith.

ChuckL
03-03-2006, 09:32 AM
..I used to drop acid in my teens and twenties figuring it would help me create cool 'trippy' paintings. At the time I thought what I was doing was 'Out of this World Genius' type work....until I sobered up for a while, and realized the stuff was mediocre at best. My work is much trippier now that I can actually concentrate on what I'm doing ( IMH)...took me 15 years clean and sober to finally reach the level of expertise I thought I had when I was getting high.
...I do get some flashbacks when I see your paintings Keith...Your stuff would look Great under a blacklight :D
...whew...what a long strange trip its been!
...chuck

tree519
03-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Despite spending four years in art school where everyone,especially the teachers, got high regularly, I have never used.I did not judge those who did. I just watched.I have never even been what one would consider drunk. I don't have any kind of "moral taboo" position on drugs, in fact, I would like to see MJ decriminalized in Canada and controlled much the same as alcohol. Having said that however, I have never seen anyone actually benefit from being high or drunk. I am unconvinced of it's benefits.Convince me.

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, never having used drugs I decided to try painting while under several influences. I drank one glass of wine and took about two hits of acid (about 50 micrograms of LSD) and then shot up with some heroine which is just suped up morphine and then while those were taking effect I smoked a joint and then took a few snorts of cocaine up the old snouzer to help offset the sedating effects of the previous chemicals.

I thought about injecting a small amount of anabolic steriod on top of it all but decided I didn't want to overdo it.

Well, I tasted colors and smelled dimensions unknown and thought I saw Jimi but my paint looked dull and gray compared to the new colors I was seeing in my head.

So, I gave up art and just took drugs for a living after that. Too bad I'm the only one who can see my masterpieces. :(

Tim

NobbyNobody
03-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Never been high. Never will.

Nowist
03-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Always :thumbsup:

DrLondon
03-31-2006, 05:29 PM
oops! Accidentally double posted. Move along now.

DrLondon
03-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Composed a research paper on a series of works by T.S. Eliot with the assistance of a small bottle of Wild Turkey. Would've gotten a perfect score were it not for a couple of typos.

But normally- no. I have enough problems focusing as it is.:p

plec
04-01-2006, 05:35 PM
a better question is "do you get high when you paint, draw, create?"

1sa
05-26-2006, 06:33 AM
i tried drawing while on pot once -- unfortunately, my motor skills seemed to have devolved into that of a 1-year old. what a waste of perfectly good art materials. :D i wont be doing it again.

WFMartin
05-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Good grief, NO!

Futaba
05-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Getting "high" is such a stupid waste of time and money. I can't think of anything I would like to do less, except dental surgary. I really hate that.

howyadoin
06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Sometimes. A lot of my initial concepts occur after a little smoke or a few drinks, and a mild glow doesn't seem to hurt the technical side of what I'm doing. I've learned not to do anything too drastic to a work in progress while I'm drunk, though.

crweixelman
06-05-2006, 01:34 AM
I love to smoke pot and do so a couple of times a month at least, but I don't generally paint while I'm high. It's more of a relaxation thing for me.

Stacey Deller
06-05-2006, 07:12 AM
NO WAY to anything illegal - however, the meds I take for pain, mental illness, and asthma management CAN get you rather high if not managed properly... and yes there have been times when I didn't manage them properly and gotten high from them... and NO the art work was shoking at best, but then again falling asleep in the paint doesn't really count - does it? :D
:cat:

skipstah70
06-07-2006, 05:51 AM
Absolutely... I've drawn and painted quite a few while tipping a few... it's the best!! There is something amazing that happens when mildly intoxicated that bypasses something in the brain...it's ironic, but some of the images I've done while having a few seem to be a much more clearer "thoughts" as a whole than many done when sober. I have no idea at the reason behind this though. Scary to think that they are more sentient than what's created when sober.

Skips

mothermayi
06-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I've written (just journal stuff) after a few drinks...but I just get morbid. Wouldn't that be an interesting show...'works on high'...or would it?

deadsam
06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
when I was yonger in the 70's I used to attempt it, it was fun actually, painting wasted then waking up in the morning and saying "what the heck is that???"
lol :)
but I gave all that up eons ago, now it's only java and nicotine for me ;)

seriousme
06-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Absolutely... I've drawn and painted quite a few while tipping a few... it's the best!! There is something amazing that happens when mildly intoxicated that bypasses something in the brain...it's ironic, but some of the images I've done while having a few seem to be a much more clearer "thoughts" as a whole than many done when sober. I have no idea at the reason behind this though. Scary to think that they are more sentient than what's created when sober.

Skips

Ditto here! (when I was younger of course) as they say, "in vino veritas" :wave:

dixonsculptor
06-20-2006, 07:59 PM
:cool: wow man its 2003 again

wing-artist
06-24-2006, 03:11 PM
I did it on some acid one time in 1976 and I could not get it together, I was seeing way too many images and way too fast of a pace that my hands could not keep up with my visualization.
This is only at one time and the only time ever done on any stimulants, I do well enough without any help, but - hey, I had to find out!

Lupine
07-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Many years ago, when I used to do such things...
Now I couldn't be bothered - I'm much more interested in actually being here, now.
Nothing I made was very impressive, from what I remember, just verrrrry profounnnnnnd.... (or so I thought)
:cat:

F20
07-07-2006, 05:39 AM
Can't say I have (I've never been high so the opportunity never presented itself :) ) but I have one friend who can only paint when she's drunk, so I guess it works for some people lol.

LiftNw8
07-07-2006, 04:30 PM
I said yes, primarily because back when I wsa doing more drawing I was also highly addicted to pain killers because of problems I have with my knees and have had since I was about 15, about the time I got hooked on the pills. But since that time, and my last relapse about 11 yrs ago I have not done a single drug.

dTrain
07-11-2006, 12:24 AM
This is a very cool thread, and who would have thought it would be so long?
OK, my story...........I have always been very creative. Since I can remeber I have been drawing, making my friends act out plays, day dream, you name it. I didn't try pot till i was 19 (cuz I agree, you have to let your brain develop first) and it was an eye opening experience. I had a bad attitude, thought I was better than others, dissed people and was jus into my circle of friends. After a few weeks of pot, I was able to see how that was wrong. Thanks to pot I have self educated (i'm 30 now) and found so many ways to open my mind. And i'm not jus talkin about when high, but because I had gotten high, I was able to see beyond all the superficial, materialistict, closed minded bull****. I still smoke and don't know many people that if they don't smoke are atleast cool with it. I have tried em all for the exception of heroin, meth, or crack. coke can really get you to new levels of thought, but can be hard to "keep it togehter" when painting. Mushrooms are the greatest vs. LSD. haven't dun the LSD for 5 or more yrs. to hard whenyou get older. So I truley believe that pot and mushrooms should be legal. I mean, they grow naturally. I would quit drinkin if I could go to the "coffee" shop and get my fix.
And I totally understand that its not for everyone, and I respect that. As should people that don't, shlould respect people that do. I mean EVERYONE should repect EVERYONE else anyways. we humans. period. we can get along. If you cool, we cool. So be cool.
BUT..............now that I am 30 I have been tryin to live more life without beer and pot. For sure beer. And pot much less. I do understand that my body requires attention. Meditation for the mind that runs the body. A higher awarness. One that can come naturally if understood better. So as the others slow down, I replace them with inner understanding. But give props to the "drugs" to get there. They helped me to never get caught in that "american-dream" trap. Now it about movement. A better way for the mass's.
HOLLA

tim3d
07-12-2006, 08:16 AM
I used to years ago. But when I quite all that smoken wildwood weed, powder up the nose stuff. I found I had a very hard time getting motivated couldnt get creative. I took me a long long time to get back to doing anything.
Tim

tbolt
08-06-2006, 08:30 PM
14,276 views and counting.....hmmmm:eek:

Houstonian
08-18-2006, 06:40 PM
YEARS ago, I once went to my art class (not wanting to pass it up) with the beginning stages of a migraine.... my art teacher gave me a tylenol codeine..
I felt that I was turning out a masterpiece until the next time a saw it..(ha ha) Never did that again.

celticrichard
08-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Its sometimes happens to me that when Im extrremely tired i draw better than I should

antoaneta
08-24-2006, 03:39 PM
why you ask? which is more important the process or the product?:cool:

sadly i consider :D ganja :D cant make u an artist ,if it could i would smoke every single day:D and its illegal too:eek:

mudslinger
08-25-2006, 06:18 AM
the only reason pot is illegal is because the pharmaceutical companies haven't figured out how to grow it with their logo on the leaves...:lol:

LinDajSon
08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
If being high on sugar counts, then yes. :D

catstongue
09-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I only did it one time...pryor to a three hour drawing class in college. I never did it again! I absolutly could not concentrate or focus on anything. That ended that experiment right quick! I can't even have a casual beer and approach the easel. I got to feel great or nuthin' happens! I can't even paint when I have a cold or sore throat...it just interferes with my thinking!

Catstongue

Tusitalo
10-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Sometimes I come up with ideas while, err...under the infulence. But the actual execution must be done dead sobor or it does not come out very well.

Tusitalo
10-12-2006, 08:18 PM
:wink2: Sometimes I come up with ideas while, err...under the infulence. But the actual execution must be done dead sobor or it does not come out very well.

10-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah! High on life, that is.:)

Seriously, that's true. I don't even feel like doing art when I am depressed (which has been often in the past year).

As for actual substances, the only one I use is caffeine. I've never smoked, I rarely drink, and I don't use any illegal substances (which I think should be legalized, but that's another thread).

Vegas Art Guy
10-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Just beer (one or two) and caffeine... so then answer is no, not while high...

katsarecool
10-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Most of my creations are while under the influence of legal controlled substances; I have chronic pain for which there is no cure and from several sources. The only way I can create is while getting relief from pain with oxycotin. I am prescribed this narcotic through a pain management clinic and take 20 mg every eight hours.

High? Perhaps but hard to say for sure because that is not why I take it. I do feel some euphoria at times when the pain is particularly bad and the oxy kicks in and that "ahhhhhhhhhh moment" hits when the pain retracts.

J.D.Aston
12-21-2006, 05:59 AM
I answered "Yes", I have, but the work was trashed.
You can be inspired while high, but you cant work like that.

bliss
12-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I answered "Yes", I have, but the work was trashed.
You can be inspired while high, but you cant work like that.
You left the apostrophe out. :rolleyes:

GloriaHopkins
12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't enjoy pot. It makes me vibrate

ROFLOL! I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time!

staibo
12-28-2006, 04:14 PM
I tend to draw at 35,000 feet when I'm flying somewhere. :cool: It makes me tolerant of the person in front of me snoring, or taking up my space while their seat is fully back.

BluesDaddy
01-01-2007, 03:05 AM
Drawn or painted? Not that I remember. Wonder why that is?lol
I have however done alot of music while drinking, with good results. The whole reducing the inhibitions thing for me. Being shy and on stage at the same time is rather stressful. But as I'm sure others will agree it's kind of a "dancing on the edge of a razor" kinda thing. A very fine balancing act. I'm also pretty sure I was self medicating because I'm also bipolar. Don't care to drink much anymore now that I have my meds.
BTW, when I did smoke, it made me vibrate too, and want some quality time with the girlfriend.

Rick

combatartist
01-01-2007, 07:59 PM
You are just using drugs as an excuse...

Mag
01-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Katsarecool, I have heard that there is a big difference between taking medications for pain and abusing drugs. It has to do with the way one's brain uses the meds, ie. for pain relief as opposed to pleasure.
Having lived through the eighties as, well as experimenting with various substances as well as booze I can say that now I rarely drink, and consider
those past days as time wasted, when I could have been painting. During those times my production was nil.

Nihil_Initio
01-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I find that being under the influence of chemicals does not really improve my creativity much. Some have different effects, though. Cant do anything under cocaine, obviously--i tried it once a long time ago, and found it leaves me much too amped up for standing at an easel! Marijuana, likewise, does not work for me--it has the suprising effect of amplifying, rather than silencing, my inner critic, so that everything I do is wrong and nothing gets done at all. Booze just leaves me tired and feeling uninspired. But painkillers--now, those were effective for me. Percocet high made me relaxed and spontaneous and uncritical. Unfortunately, after my surgery I only had enough to start one painting, which started off as marbles and evolved into a fish. I haven't had percocet in years now....

Those are all the chemicals Ive ever used, and I found that being straight and sober is the best mental condition in which to work creatively.

minim
01-09-2007, 05:33 PM
In theory, no - I've never done drugs of any sort, my innards don't allow me to drink enough to get more than a tad fuzzy, and much as I enjoy a good strong coffee, it doesn't really give me a proper buzz. But I do find immersing myself in working on my art - whether drawing or music - is sort of like how I'd imagine being high!

superdad
01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
music makes me high and loose and free to create. I get a really euphoric feeling. A real high is when I turn it up and can feel the bass vibrations....Surround sound is a must have but you can still get a buzz with a standard cd/dvd/mp3 player/ipod/musicphone.
Jim

grimmy
02-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Wow, I'm amazed...am I stoned now reading the results? I thought everyone was stoned.... no wonder my paintings look like crap and I can't sell anything. ****, that must feel extra crapy when your sober !!! Sorry guys,I dont believe the poll, someone must think thier gonna get raided...HAHA If this poll is correct, artists make up the sober 20% of the population.
Anyway, I don't condone the use or the curious to any drug, but it is possible and sometimes inevitable to create when one is under the influence. It may not be a master piece, but it is a time in your history, and as you get older, you realize that is a master piece.

wildart129
02-22-2007, 10:45 AM
No, I prefer to keep my brain cells, for the creative process requires one to think, and with limited brain cells you can not think clearly. :rolleyes:

H2O
02-25-2007, 02:14 AM
No. The only thing I need is feeling good. I'm not very productive if I'm tired, unhappy, sick, have worries and things like that.

H2O
02-25-2007, 02:18 AM
Btw, 43.49% has been high (ignore the drawing part)?? Wow! Where do you all live, in drug alley or do you consider drinking coffee also getting high? :confused:

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2007/98607-Bill_Drawings_of_the_Brain_Creating_the_Mind__no_2.jpg

I have been on many occasions inebriated and from different surgeries for a major back injury have have been under the influence, but I did this cold stone sober. So do you think I need to get high? My friend said this looked like a psychedelic rendition by Picasso on acid. What you are looking at is my conception of synapse where neurochemical (neuro-transmitters) are crossing the synaptic gap or junction. Supposedly it is by altering these neurochemicals by introducing hallucinogens, such as , LSD or masculine, that we tend to see an alternate form of reality. Unfortunately I can see alternate realities any time I choose to focus in on one. Hope this answers your question about needing to great high to be creative because to me this is a myth that needs to be dispelled. We, as artists as well as creative people, can generate our on form of high with out the use of other substances. However, I must concede I have seen some pretty damn weird stuff when people do paint or draw while high!

Thanks,

bk

deahna
03-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Sometimes I have some pretty wacky and cool ideas that I am able to jot down in my sketchbooks while... errr... you know. I guess you can say that I am able to brainstorm while under the influence, but I am pretty much unproductive when it comes to working on more finished pieces, I get sidetracked too easily, which is why I pretty much stay away from getting high these days.

Besides, drugs are for hippies. :p