PDA

View Full Version : Favorite art books

pezk
07-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Anyone have favorite art books they like to refer to or use for reference?
I love Claudia Nice's books. Wish I could draw and paint like that.
Also, someone mentioned they were using Cathy Johnson's Artist's Journal Workshop. Another good book.

Yorky
07-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Check out The Art of Urban Sketching (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15105762&postcount=91) by Gabriel Campanario. There is a thread in the Watercolor/Learning Zone with book reviews.

Doug

DrDebby
07-06-2013, 03:01 PM
I second the Claudia Nice books and Cathy Johnson's "Artist's Journal Workbook." Actually that's the extent of my sketching/journal library. I've got other art books for reference and techniques. But they are more to do with finished pieces of art.

vhere
07-07-2013, 03:17 AM
Shirley Trevena for lush, free, vibrant use of watercolour.

John Blockley, hard to find but some great books.

Jeanne Dobie, Making Color Sing

In my teaching I show these plus exhibition catalogue of work.

RainySea
07-07-2013, 03:32 PM
OH, wow. . . I also like Claudia Nice's books. . . Urban Sketching is great although I've yet to get a hold of a copy but have checked it from library. I second (or third) Cathy's book as I like that one as well.

Danny Gregory has many wonderful books on journaling and how it helped him through hard times so I like most of his. I really want to get his new Illustrated Journey but have to wait a bit.

I have many more books I love. . . what in particular sort are you interested in? I am thinking journaling books since its posted here and the ones mentioned above fit that category. Most of others I think of relate to a particular media.

pezk
07-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Rainey, I was thinking of journaling books/watercolor too. Lots of good ones listed already.

1onsite
07-09-2013, 02:59 AM
I have a copy of a small green book titled " Bridgman's Life Drawing" which I use as an idea reference in warm ups for gesture drawing. It's good practice to loosen up with while working on solutions to problems in this style of drawing and sketching.

Studio-1-F
07-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Hi, patk! There are about eighty gazillion books out there that fall under the categories "art books" or "journaling books/watercolor". Maybe even ninety gazillion. :heart: If you are interested in how-to books for sketching, my favs are:
-- Keys to Drawing, by Bert Dodson (1985)
-- Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Your Creativity, by Bert Dodson (2007)
-- Sketching School, by Judy Martin (1991)
-- The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing on Location Around the World, by Gabriel Campanario (2012)
-- Sketch Book for the Artist, by Sarah Simblet (2005)
Short reviews of each are here (http://jan777.blogspot.com/2012/08/dr-awings-5-favorite-learn-how-to-draw.html).

A longer list of recommended books is at the bottom of this posting (http://jan777.blogspot.com/p/travel-sketchbooking-updated-10aug2012.html).

Enjoy!

Jan

Finvarra
07-09-2013, 11:41 AM
'Nature Drawing - a tool for learning' by Clare Walker Leslie. An excellent book packed full of info covering a comprehensive range of drawing tools and nature drawing subjects. Find something new every time I read it. Covers from the beginner to the experienced drawer, and full of black and white illustrations.

Cheers
Lesley