PDA

View Full Version : question re book

jackiesimmonds
07-06-2013, 03:25 AM
Some years ago, I wrote PASTELS WORKSHOP, which sold pretty well, went into several reprints.

It is now out of print, and I am considering a re-write, with new images throughout and some new info.

But it would be a self-published book, and without a massive mailing list, I am wondering if it would be bought, even if it appeared on my Amazon page alongside the remaining copies of the old one.

Would appreciate feedback. It would be a massive job to undertake, just to sell half a dozen copies!

LoriRoe
07-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Jackie,

I have just begun to do any type of art, but I stumbled upon your workbook at the library and checked it out. I found that book TREMENDOUSLY helpful! In fact, I kept checking it out until the library informed me that I had met my limit. Obviously, you would need some type of avenue to promote the book if you want to sell many copies. For myself (just beginning to learn), I signed up for the more heavily promoted sites like Artist's Network, North light, etc. Those emails they send me of new or discounted books/items can catch my eye. Not sure this is helpful, but I thought I'd pass along what I am doing as I try to learn about working with this medium. Thank you for writing the first one!

robertsloan2
07-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Jackie, I hope you do this. New images and info would be enough to get me interested even if I get my books back from Arkansas and find out I have the old one. I would rather buy the new one than a used copy of the old version.

I support indie authors. You have a big reputation and an online presence. I think you'd sell more copies if you occasionally did a YouTube excerpt - short five minute video with a link to the book buy page in the intro text and in the video, I've seen that sort of thing a lot. This could just be talking about the book on a webcam or panning it across some finished paintings, not even a demo, though if you did short free demos of exercises in the book that'd pack even more impact.

That and get some friends tweeting the link to it, post it on facebook, you have enough friends to get the ball rolling. I'll probably post the link on my facebook and twitter once you have it available.

I'm going indie with my fantasy novels. You have more work ahead of you with the images and the rewrite, in a book that's image-heavy. I'm just wrestling prose on mine. But it's the same thing. Keeping the buy link on your blog and blogging regularly helps too, it helps people find it. That's the main thing - but you already have a big reputation so that will give you a huge head start on it.

Judibelle
07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi Jackie....I have a copy. It was the very first book I purchased years ago, when I first started with pastels . It is still my 'go-to' book, and I love it!

I follow you blog, and appreciate reading your comments on the works in the Studio. I find your comments and blog very helpful.

Have no advice to give you on a revision, though...I wish you well with your decision...

mercbill
07-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Jackie, I would buy 5 copies, One for myself and 4 of my grandkids who are all painting with Pastels. Love you old book which is rather worm out from being passed around a lot. Bill

Colorix
07-08-2013, 04:28 PM
OK, Charlie being contrary again -- rather, tossing out a thought. There are tons of books for beginners out there. There are some abut the concepts of design and composition (steelyard stuff aplenty, a few about other principles). Litte about rhythm, and almost nothing about how to make a painting flow, how to make shapes being integrated.

Would that be anything for you? A new project, more exciting perhaps?

robertsloan2
07-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Actually, I like Charlie's suggestion too. Because with an indie book the best thing you can do to boost sales is come out with another title, it would be good to come up with a plan to do more books after doing this rewrite.

You have the copyright again for the first one, it's done, the rewrite is substantial but not as much work as doing another one. So you might as well use it and keep getting something out of it whether it pays out fast or slow. A new project is going to take some time to pay off as much as a pro book did but it will also pay continuously and it will boost sales of the first one. This is how I'm figuring on doing it with my fiction.