PDA

View Full Version : White rocks in the sea

tstellma
07-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Oil painting on canvas, size 50x70 cm. Ref is an own photo which I manipulated with photoshop.
I had some problems with the value of fore- and background, so I am not sure if I had done it right.
Each critique is welcome. Thanks in advance!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2013/199900-DSCN2787.JPG

Inward Arts
07-07-2013, 02:17 AM
I wish I could help you out some here, I do not have a lot of critique experience. But! I do love this painting, I like the mood it conveys and the colors, especially the blue against all the green/brown in the tree. I like this perspective too. Hopefully, you will get the 'critique' you are after. Until then, great job!

Rachel

La_
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM
nice one indeed
the bigger white rock pulls forward a bit, it's location contributes i think, but it's a good spot for it ... perhaps a titch more detail in the tree branch(es) ... perhaps not ... so close to perfect really, let the reality of the piece (vs the photo) decide if that's a good idea or not

la

gebhm
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Nice. The far shore behined the trees I can't figure out. The rock area of it I get but what is above that loses me. Is it sky or what? If sky it is darker than the sky above it which is backwards. I like the layout and subtle way you presented it.

tstellma
07-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks for comments; I will think about them.

@gebhm, the blue above the distant rocks should be a wooden ridge, not sky.

I think the two white rocks are somewhat cloned. I will sharpen the edges and add some details.
Below the white rocks I painted dark areas in the water. I hope, itīs right, The sun is at the left near zenith