PDA

View Full Version : Forgetmenot Ridge

CanvasSky
07-04-2013, 05:38 PM
...which makes it hard to photograph without some of the knife strokes picking up glare from somewhere. Sorry about that!

I was working from this photo I took out in the Bragg Creek area before the southern Alberta floods.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2013/1206405-critique_request.jpg
I worked it up in acrylics on an 18" x 24" gallery wrapped canvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2013/1206405-critique_request_2.jpg
The brighter colors in the foreground are intentional, for the most part.

As you can tell in the original, I was standing on a hillside, higher up than either the highway or the leafy trees in the middle ground. Is there anything I can do to make the grassy area in the foreground read more this way, and add depth?

This is my first time using the critique forums, so please be gentle!

rossmarie
07-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Hello CanvasSky. Welcome!

I think your sky is very good. The background mountain also - perhaps slightly darker in tone would have been better.

Where I feel your colours are a little off is in the middle distance where the evergreen trees on the mountain slopes are the wrong, and too bright a green. With distance, you tend to lose colour intensity. I also feel the trees in front of the evergreens are too "green" - think you need to get a bit of red into your green mix to "brown" them off a tad.

The foreground in your photo ref shows a definite slope which I think would have come over better in the painting if you had used paint strokes parallel with the slope instead of vertical strokes. To my mind the foreground could have been treated more simply with the occasional shrub or small tree. Your strongest tones need to be in the foreground to achieve a sense of depth and distance.

It is a nice painting - just think some thought is needed on colours and intensities as distance increases from the eye.

Mike :thumbsup: :wave:

CanvasSky
07-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks Ross. I did originally have the second mountain back quite a bit darker, but it looked flat. I was trying to set it farther back from the main one when I lightened it.

I went over the evergreens very lightly with some dark browns, which the camera wants to see right through, and greyed out the deciduous trees a little. I modified the grasses too, but they seem to want to go back to the way they were.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2013/1206405-critique_request_3.jpg

La_
07-07-2013, 03:08 PM
the foreground area is very short grasses ... note how many horizontal sweeps of subtle color changes there are ... almost nothing vertical ... you have chosen to put in tall grasses and that's okay - it's not in the reference but again, that's okay, if it's what you want.

your second posted image is overall much improved, bravo ... you could sign it and move on, be proud.

for future pieces, really look at edges - softness of edges vs crisp, sharp edges ... the evergreens On the mountainside are a good example, they are so very far away from the viewer - in the photo they are very soft, no detailed edges and this is what puts them On the mountain as compared to in front of/separate from it ... see?

la

rossmarie
07-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks Ross. I did originally have the second mountain back quite a bit darker, but it looked flat. I was trying to set it farther back from the main one when I lightened it.

I went over the evergreens very lightly with some dark browns, which the camera wants to see right through, and greyed out the deciduous trees a little. I modified the grasses too, but they seem to want to go back to the way they were.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2013/1206405-critique_request_3.jpg

Hi CanvasSky

Those greens look really good now - a great improvement. I also like the alterations made to the foreground and the toning down of the fairly bright yellow grasses. Now your painting looks really convincing and reminds me of the wonderful views my wife and I enjoyed on a visit to Canada (including the Yukon) 9 years ago. Well done.

Would be interested to know where Forgetmenot Ridge is on the map of Canada?

Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CanvasSky
07-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Forgetmenot Ridge is down Highway 66 from Bragg Creek, in southwestern Alberta (Kananaskis Country)--pretty much inaccessible at the moment due to the floods a couple of weeks ago (La, you know what I'm talking about!). I'm in hiking withdrawal!:envy:

Yes, the grasses in the foreground are tall, which was kind of a subconscious stylistic decision: I did this almost entirely with painting knives and very thick impasto, but I was trying to give the foreground more texture than the background, hoping that it would add to the sense of depth, and in so doing I made the grasses tall instead of short without really thinking too much about it.

Painting knives also make it hard to do soft edges, unless you go wet-into-wet, and the mountains and the trees on them were done in separate sessions.

Thanks for making my critique experience a positive one, you two:heart: