PDA

View Full Version : Palomino

DramaQueen
09-13-2003, 11:58 PM
*cross-post from...drawing and sketching?*

hi everyone! *waves* this is my first time trying an actual "portrait" of a horse...a palomino probably wasn't at all smart for me to choose as my first attempt, because i had no clue how to draw a flaxen mane!! *lol*

soooo, anyway...here's my palomino guy...he was done in Derwent graphite, 4H and 5B [lovely combo, i know :rolleyes:] leads...criticizms greatly appreciated...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2003/28242-palominoface.jpg

Ceiliog
09-14-2003, 07:13 AM
So far so good - but I would like to see some further darks in places - especially around the mane.

I really like hte muzzle - very believable - I an a bit concerned with the white slash up his face - the slash is fine, but it seems to be somehow distoting the area to the right, which bothers me. I think its because even thouhg you have correctly (I assume) painted the splodge off centre, people inevitably seem to be programmed to look for symetry in subjects so it makes the right look broader than it really is and unfortuneatley throws the image off kilter a bit.

Wingnut
09-14-2003, 11:33 AM
I like it! :D nice work Drama Queen. The eye isn't quite the right shape, remember there's a big round eyeball and a bunch of bone inside there pushing out against everything. Perhaps you might take a look at another photo to find a clearer reference for it? Everything else looks good, especially for a first try!! I like the off-center markings - very common for many horses - it adds personality. I also like the shading in the ears, you've managed to get some depth there (something most people miss). He's very cute! :D

crazeejumper
09-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Good job! I think some work on and around the eye would make it even better!

Pippin
09-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Really cute horse.You have done a good job for your first time .We will look forward to seeing more from you.