PDA

View Full Version : "We might have some limbs lying around somewhere, but not enough to make more paint"

zoodlemaker
07-04-2013, 08:49 AM
This article has some short but interesting history of Pigments that are no longer made for reasons of toxicity....Maya Blue, Tyrian Purple, White Lead, Lapis Lazuli and the wonderfully-named Dragon's Blood.

Even more interesting is the next pigment, not toxic but no longer used....Mummy Brown. Actually made from ground up cat and human remains, a painting is shown that was made from the remains of French kings dug up in Paris. "We might have a few odd limbs lying around somewhere, but not enough to make any more paint" explained the Managing Director of a London Pigment company that no longer makes the paint.

Also Indian Yellow and Scheele's Green....

Here's the link:
http://hyperallergic.com/74661/the-colorful-stories-of-5-obsolete-art-pigments/

oCDs01-711
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks, I found the article fascinating.

Shirley

Yorky
07-04-2013, 01:34 PM
An interesting article Sandra. Thanks for the link.

Doug

Antiqueteacher
07-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Sandra, very interesting info, thanks!!

Katherine

Mayberry
07-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Yesterday I was reading an article by an oil painter who uses asphaltum (a brown, rather tarry pigment). He claims that some old master painters knew how to use it successfully (encased in strong resin of some sort), while the color got a bad reputation of oozing around on finished paintings because of artists who did not know how to use it properly, and now most painters never hear about it. I hear it is a bit like mummy.