PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Wednesday 3rd July 2013 **

shipbroker
07-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Good Mornng World.

Still dark out there but won't be for long.
But looks dry so far....

Wednesday Market first thing for Veg and Eggs today and call at picture framers, thereafter retidy studio after the big sort-out yesterday, found 2 large watercolours I had forgotten about!!

Back later

geoff

Ellen in Ont
07-02-2013, 11:26 PM
:wave: everyone,
I'm just heading to bed. See you all in the morning.

Doris345
07-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Good morning Washers,
Hi Geoff and Ellen

Just back from a few days in Maine, unplanned and wonderful trip. Lots to catch up on, reading to do.

BBL

Doris

Yorky
07-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Good morning all. Dull and drizzly here, 13C/55F.

Hope you took some nice photos of Maine Doris.

Doug

doppler
07-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Good evening all.

The sky has cleared, the temperatures are warm, the sun shines still, but getting low in the west. The black cockatoos are crying above the incessant chatter of smaller birds and the carking of the crows. The deafening blitzkrieg of white cockatoos has gone. The butcherbirds, who we now call reversing birds because the local ones have imitated the beep of reversing vans :rolleyes: are silent. Thank goodness, it does your head in. They have that tune and another. A real ear worm. The currawongs are yelling who woop WHO? The kookaburras are doing the background vocals. Bellbirds are on the chime.

Everyone is glad the sun is shining again.

Good day today :wave: Hope yours was /will be.

Yorky
07-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Good morning Annie. Sounds like tropical heaven. Make a video with you ipad and post it on youtube.

Doug

shipbroker
07-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Yes Doug, Mt Nebo sounds nice as does Maine with Doris.

geoff

doppler
07-03-2013, 03:11 AM
Thanks Doug and Geoff.

Techno challenges Doug :eek: We've just got our wifi Internet back after changing "packages" a week ago. It is not really tropical viz a viz yesterdays desultory temperature, just wild and native and where it should be. Don't know any other. When ever I've been overseas I look at the trees, really pretty, but my mind says "where's the bush? " Especially when looking at rolling hills of maples which equals park in my mind. Dislocated am I. San Francisco is the most Australian looking city, because of all the eucalypts which are feral, and Victorian breeds, thanking the Goldfields of the 1800s, and not liked there at all for the fire risk. They need possums, koalas and bugs and bellbirds and other predators to deal with them. Not going to happen.

Meant to say, too, belated happy birthdays to the Larrys and Darla :thumbsup:

Hopefully Kev and Chris and JJ and Allan will get the full orchestra later this month.

Scene Chaser
07-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Good Day All,
Looks like a pleasant day so far. It is quiet with lovely bird songs.

Ms. Feral has knocked and come in for food and pets.

Amazing the price differences we've gotten for tree removal. The best price was from the most professional of the bidders, ready with insurance papers, too. One more to see today and we'll make a decision.

Doris, I love the Maine coast. I spent a day touring Mohegan Island once and met a lot of artist who live there year round.

Annie, San Francisco is one of my favorite cities.

Bill

Yorky
07-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Hi Bill, hopefully one day you will be able to close the door ;)

Well, the sun gas broken through and it is warming up.

Just taken delivery of 2 rose bushes. Claude Monet (https://www.styleroses.co.uk/?proId=393) which we saw in the hotel garden in Jersey and Golden Wedding. (https://www.styleroses.co.uk/index.php?proId=215&GoldenWedding) I'll be planting them in tubs.

Doug

LynnM
07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
:wave: Overcast here, birds singing, but nothing like your concert, Annie! The babies must have fledged, their little voices are silent.

I woke up (very early!) to an ant swarm in my kitchen....hundreds of flying tiny ants charging around and landing on all the surfaces and in any standing water they could find, and worse, divebombing me :eek: . It was surreal!!!! I had noticed a few tiny ants over the previous weeks, seemed to be coming up under the baseboard at one location, but there were only a few and I cleaned them up.....should have got ant traps as it seems they thought it was a good place. How they all got in without my seeing them I don't know, I guess these things happen quickly! After some confusion on my part I got out the vacuum (at 5AM!) and sucked them up. One of the hazards of living in a wooden building, I guess. I am avoiding the clean-up by sitting here, but have to do it before I can have breakfast.

Beautiful roses, Doug! I tried to grow yellow roses here, but they were not reliably hardy. That Claude Monet is spectacular!

Doris, I would love to see photos if you have them, I had a wonderful trip to Maine once too.

Sounds like you have found your workmen, Bill.

Hi Geoff, Ellen, and all to come, have a rewarding day!
:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Flattwo
07-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Hi to all

Lesley and I have been struggling to come to terms with devastating news she received last week, regarding her health. I don't want to go into details online, but she starts chemo next week, hopefully to relieve the pain in her Kidney

Painting is maintaining my sanity!

Henry

Yorky
07-03-2013, 07:46 AM
:grouphug: Lesley and Henry :grouphug:

What can we say apart from hoping that things go well with the chemo Henry. We think of you daily.

Doug

Strawberry Wine
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Good Day Washers ! 16 C and a little overcast this morning. I had my morning coffee out on the back deck. All I could hear were the birds and the frogs singing in the pond. So very peaceful.

:grouphug: Lesley and Henry :grouphug: Thinking of you in this so very stressful time :heart:. Praying that Lesley has an easy time with the treatments and the chemo works it's magic quickly.

Happy Belated Birthday to Darla and the 2 Larrys. Hope you all had a wonderful day.

Lynn, there is probably a nest behind that baseboard. I think you need some ant killer spray that will eventually kill the Queen. Raid and Black Flag have some good products. I have never found those little ant traps effective. I once had those flying ants, they were awful, and I ended up calling customer service at Black Flag. One of their science tech guys called me back and told me exactly which product to use and how to use it best for the specific area and type of ant.

Bill, how many trees do you need tohave removed. We had a big old Ash that was beside the house taken down last month . It was amazing how quick and easily they had it down. We did not want the wood removed as it is one of the best trees for firewood. They cut it up in manageable lengths for us. We were very pleased with their service . We need 3 more taken down next year and will use them again. The trees do not have the Emerald Ash Borer becasue it has not arrived in our area YET Ash is not a very long lived tree and these ones are huge and old.

Doris, Maine is one of the states I would love to visit. If we ever get down to our Maritime Provinces we will take our passports with us.

Nancy, what kind of an injection did you have? Was this for your back pain?

:wave: to all Cheers,

Gail

olliewood0702
07-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Hello Everyone,

It's dull and misting yet again her in Mid-Michigan.:confused: Very cool too. I'm tired of the dull, rainy weather. I'm hoping to see some sunshine very soon.

It's my Friday today...I have the rest of the week off. YIPPEE.:clap:

We went out to eat after Larry got out of work at 7pm last evening to celebrate our Birthdays. :thumbsup: We had a nice dinner then went to the Dairy Queen for a soft serve cone. A nice ending to our day.

Today is the one year anniversary of the death of my dear Dad. Last year at this time we were very sorrowful and it was extremely HOT. Last summer was one of the hottest on record. This summer isn't even close; which is alright by me.

Jen and Matt leave today for their up north camping trip. I'm praying for traveling safety for them all; as I know the roads will be busy with travelers.

:heart: (((HENRY & LESLEY))):heart: What can I say except my prayers are with you both. I hope and pray the chemo will help alleviate her kidney pain. We are thinking of you both every day. PAINT away.

Doris, wow a trip to Maine; I so badly want to visit there someday. I've heard the east coast of the USA is spectacular.

Doug, those roses are just beautiful. I have 7 different rose bushes; all about 4 or 5 years old and just this year two of them that hadn't done much these past years look fantastic. All the rest have always done well. The bugs do like them though. They really like this cooler, wet weather.

Lynn, I HATE when bugs get into my house, flies, mosquitos, ants, etc. Ants can be hard to get rid of too.

Gail, I hope your day is a great one.

Annie, your prose is soothing to read...I can almost hear the sounds.

Geoff, wow two watercolors? I bet you were surprised when they appeared; did you get them matted and framed too?

Bill, it's amazing the different prices one gives for the same job. Same with the quotes we've been getting for a new drain field.:confused:

I hope your day is the best possible day and that you will be able to use your creativity in some positive way.

BBL:wave: :thumbsup:

LynnM
07-03-2013, 08:23 AM
So sorry to hear that, Henry ((((Lesley)))) I'll watch for your paintings :heart:

Thanks, Gail, good info. Probably the nest is at ground level, or maybe between floors, but I'll have a look. I am on the second floor and I imagine they are coming up a post. Things are quiet at the moment.

LynnM
07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
:grouphug: We must have cross posted, Darla.....

CharM
07-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Good morning Washer Buds... the sun is shining today! Brilliant. It's still cool enough to enjoy the open windows allowing the fresh air inside.

We're still waiting for the satellite company to repair our dish installation. It's been more than a week, a plethora of increasingly frustrated telephone calls. Shaw Direct's customer service has to be the worst I've ever encountered.

This afternoon, I'm meeting up with Patty (Bluegenes) to view the Wallaceburg Historical Museum's art show. We were both accepted into that show. Photos were taken of all the artwork and posted on FB where viewers can vote for their favourites for the People's Choice Award. I'm a little upset about this because it's nothing more than a popularity contest.

Two of my paintings were accepted into the Desmond Show. My big macro bee was rejected.

Hi Geoff... how neat that you found a couple of paintings! Bonus... see, cleaning really does pay off! :)

:wave: Ellen.

Hi Doris... we have family in Maine and visit regularly... so beautiful.

Hi Doug... I love rose bushes, but our soil is just too alkaline.

A cacophony of joy, Annie... there'd be no sleeping past dawn, eh?

Bill, how many trees have to be removed? I sure don't envy your having to deal with this!

OMG Lynn... that's enough to make you want to turn around and go back to bed! :eek: If there's a gap between your quarter round and the floor, sweep cornmeal into the crevice. Ants eat it but can't digest it as it expands in their bodies, killing them.

((Henry and Lesley)) There's a global community blasting positive energy your way... Adding my voice, my prayers are with you...

Hi Gail... your froggies must be getting huge by now!

Darla, I just love DQ softserve... what a nice birthday evening you and Larry had! :heart: your sad anniversary...

I've played long enough... time to shut down... besides, this laptop (which is dying a slow death) is too hot to hold! Have a great day everyone!

Yorky
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Hi Char, sounds like your laptop fan needs replacing. They are quite cheap and easy to replace by someone who can find their way into the darned machine.

Doug

shipbroker
07-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Afternoon all.....

Been checking the studio for paintings for the exhibition and found two large framed ones that have not been offered for sale nor on my website.....I would reckon one, which is a large industrial watercolour, must have been done and framed about 5 years ago........It was done as a commission but when they came to collect they spotted two others and bought them instead.
The other is of Bamburgh Castle in the snow, I remember doing it not so long ago but don't know why I didn't do anything with it....so bought a frame today and it will be going on the site....

Henry, similar news heard on wife of close Shipbroker friend this week, diagnosis only made in April.......so lots of white light and blue butterflies to both ladies and their husbands.......

After some early rain now dry and bright with high clouds.

geoff

LynnM
07-03-2013, 10:10 AM
It must be so frustrating to be disconnected that way, Char, good luck on that!
I wanted to just crawl back into bed, but was afraid they would all join me there! But they liked the light in the kitchen, and so far no more have appeared. Thanks for the cornmeal suggestion, will do that right away after I disinfect the floor, to get rid of any trails. These ants are so tiny, I can't imagine them eating even a grain of cornmeal. I hate to use chemicals with my sensitivity to anything foreign.....but may have to.

laudesan
07-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Good Evening.. Nearly midnight here.

I had to pop out for a couple of thing, then meet Tania at a children's playground at Manly, where Elise had a play date with a friend.

I took the opportunity to take some photographs.. :-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2013/22284-20130703_152514.jpg
Tide is coming in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2013/22284-20130703_152139.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2013/22284-20130703_162018.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2013/22284-20130703_163125.jpg
Wednesday Afternoon Sailing Group returning after their race.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2013/22284-20130703_163755.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2013/22284-20130703_163859.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2013/22284-20130703_165349.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2013/22284-20130703_170050_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Love, hugs, and healing vibes. I had better get to bed, it is way past pumpkin hour..............

painterbear
07-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Good Morning all,
It is almost 10:30 a.m. on another bright, sunny morning here in Oakwood. Temps in the low 80°Fs, so not too bad (of course, I'm in the house with the AC, so not bad at all. ;)).

I'm slowly working on my boat reflections and so far I'm happy with the painting. I'm saving the red boat and its reflections until I get all the other colors in. It is kind of like painting a jigsaw puzzle because the water was choppy and so are the colors in the reflection. I'm having fun! :D

Put a little painting I did of some ruins of one of the most luxurious villas in Pompeii at the time of the eruption in the Gallery. You can see the link in my signature line if you would like to look at a larger version. :angel:

Henry, :grouphug: for you and Leslie during this heartwrenching time. I hope the chemo helps her pain. I'm glad that painting helps with yours. I know the one who takes care of the ill partner suffers too. :heart: :heart:

Lynn, :eek: on the flying ants invasion. Hope your vacuuming them up did the trick. Now to figure out how to get rid of them for good.

Belated:music: HAPPY BIRTHDAY :music:to you Darla and your Larry! What a great day 2 July must be to have so many nice people born on it.

Bill, Good luck with the tree cutters. It is amazing how quickly they can get the job done with the right equipment and knowledge.

Gail, Lucky you not having the emerald ash borer in your neighborhood ....yet. The city is valiantly trying to save the ones we have. You see little plastic cups with some sort of chemical treatment around the base of many of the trees periodically. I think it is supposed to kill the emerald ash borers before they can kill the trees.

Char, Congratulations to you and Patty on getting your works accepted into the Show. Bet the next show you enter your bee in, it will be accepted. Each judge has his/her different criteria for looking at paintings.

Annie, When we were stationed at Vandenberg AFB in California (a bit north of Santa Barbara), there were lots of eucalyptus trees in the area — but no koala bears or other "enemies". I think they imported them as wind breaks or something a long time ago (and, of course, as all things do, they multiplied). Anyway, my daughter Christine kept getting ear aches and the doctor said it was caused by allergies to grass and things like the eucalyptus tree pollen. :rolleyes: Fortunately, where she lives in Pennsylvania, there aren't any of them, but there is still grass, of course. :lol:

Doris, We enjoyed a vacation in Maine once...mainly because we could get fried clams and lobster! Oh, and the beautiful scenery, of course. :angel:

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

White light and healing vibes to all who are ailing or aching and their loved ones too. :grouphug:

SYL,

Sylvia

Scene Chaser
07-03-2013, 10:58 AM
((((Leslie & Henry)))) My thoughts are with you and hoping for recovery through chemo.

Doug, beautiful roses. My father worked in an eight acre greenhouse for twenty-five years which produced roses for wholesale. He brought roses home to my mother everyday.

We just had our third quote on tree removal. The price of a very nice vacation. Two quotes were $6,000 apart. We have 54 trees about 12 inches in diameter that need to come down as they are a threat to our house. I have about five hundred ash trees that will have to fall down by themselves. I have friends who will cut them up for their own firewood.

Darla, did the restaurant deliver two free cakes to your table. :)

Char, enjoy the show with Patty. Sounds like great fun. Congrats on the admission to the show.

Geoff, finding paintings is like finding money.

JJ, lovely peaceful photos. Looks like you had a nice day.

Sylvia, I love to paint reflections. It is so satisfying when it is done.
Bill

olliewood0702
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
JJ, lovely pics, thanks for sharing!

Sylvia, your painting is beautiful! I imagine painting your "choppy" water is quite a challenge, I look forward to seeing the finished painting.:clap:

Bill, alas....we didn't get any birthday cake this year at all. :confused: Maybe I'll bake one for our meal tomorrow. :thumbsup:

We still haven't got any sun...they are saying some tomorrow. We've had so much gloom lately. :cool:

Char, tell Patty we said HI and to drop in here once in a while. Congrats to you both on having your work accepted. :clap:

I just read a sad story on the local news site. Last year on the 4th of July a young 34 year old medical student at the local university was shot while waiting for the fireworks to begin. She just dropped and they didn't know what was wrong until that evening the doctors found that she had a bullet in her head; she died the next morning. Her fiancé couldn't come to terms with her death and committed suicide this past Spring. Isn't that so sad? What a tragic waste of a life...all because someone had to play with a gun.:confused: :crying:

villagernb
07-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Good afternoon Washers!

(((HENRY and LESLEY))) I think of you both every day.

Geoff:thumbsup: on finding 2 watercolours!

Doris, we love visiting Maine also, but for Maritimers, we especially love it for the shopping opportunities!

Doug, I just love your new rose bushes! I suppose you can leave them outdoors in containers for the winter? That is, what you call winter?;)

Annie, I love hearing about your birds (and cats!) :cat:

Bill, hope that your tree removal goes well. We're supposed to be having our driveway paved today, but they have yet to show up!:confused:

Lynn, my sympathy for your ant invasion! We haven't had them inside this year:crossfingers: but they are everywhere outside, and their tunnels are killing the roots of some of our plants, so we have been trying every home remedy that we have read or heard about. So far, nothing seems to have put a dent in their numbers, but I saw a video last week (made in Australia) in which a fellow made a solution of one part Borax and one part sugar dissolved in boiling water which he then sprayed wherever the ants were getting into his house. If you need to, perhaps you might want to give that mixture a try.:o

Darla, :heart: on the anniversary of your Dear Dad's passing. My Mum passed away on July 21 last year, and it was very hot here also. We drove overnight to Ottawa and stayed for a week and it was extremely hot there every day. When we drove out to Pakenham in the Ottawa Valley to the cemetery, the river that runs through the village (where Mum was born and lived until she married) had the lowest water level that I had ever seen there. There was scarcely a trickle of water in many places. Many of my relatives there are farmers, and everyone was talking about how many people had lost their crops. It was a terrible summer for anyone who doesn't have the means to irrigate.

JJ, super photos, as always!:clap: :clap:

Yay! the pavers have arrived! (Hope they do a nice job!)

BBL

Anne

shipbroker
07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Evening all....

Beautiful evening here...Eileen watching Wimbledon I'm watching a programme about Ancient Egypt......whilst the floor of the studio dries as have just mopped it over.....I have sorted all the pictures I need for the exhibition so it is just a matter of sorting the labels out.....for this show in next village I put much reduced prices from those on 'the net'...and usually do well by this..

geoff

p.s. just had this clip of an airship over San Francisco.......don't see Jen's house.http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1b/Zeppelin/Zeppelin.html

Yorky
07-03-2013, 03:50 PM
A beautiful evening here too Geoff, not a cloud in the sky, going to be a cold night.
Doug, I just love your new rose bushes! I suppose you can leave them outdoors in containers for the winter? That is, what you call winter?

I will plant them in large tubs still in their pots until their roots fill the pots then I'll either remove the posts or plant the roses in the flower bed.

We have lots of ants on the patio but only occasionally do they find their way into the house. When we had a ventilator by the fire we used to get flying ants in the season but we used a borax mixture to deter them and then later sealed up the ventilator. We are blessed with a low insect population, few mosquitoes and no termites here.

Wonderful shots of/from the Zeppelin Geoff. Jen is down there somewhere :)

Doug

villagernb
07-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Driveway is paved! I think it looks great!

Anne

Yorky
07-03-2013, 05:02 PM
:thumbsup:

Doug